Project OU Next Best Thing - Cycle Last: Mega Latias (Voting)

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion

The voting phase ends right now! By its results, the winner of the Cycle 4 is Choice Specs by KuraiTenshi26. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. Ok, let the new Cycle begin!

Cycle Five - Tyranitar

Both regular Tyranitar and its Mega form are powerful and bulky wallbreakers, being tough to switch into directly and to take them down. Tyranitar's movepool in conjunction with good base stats lets it run a pretty wide variety of sets: Mega Stealth Rock, Assault Vest, Choice Band, and even Mega Dragon Dance. Maybe there are some other cool Tyranitar sets? I'm pretty sure there are. Show here some interesting sets guys!

Banned Sets
| |

You can post sets for both regular and Mega Tyranitar. The deadline is Tuesday 11th of June. Good luck!​

Sayuze

Banned deucer.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake / Ice Beam / Filler

i have been a fan of scarf tar since all the way from dpp. i think it is been a great scarfer over the past few gens, with it not getting as much usage this gen, unfortunately. however, i still think it can be niche and not bad. the main attraction of scarf tar, over lets say something like weavile is that it is pretty fast but also has great natural bulk, and of course is not weak to rocks. this lets you be more aggressive with pursuiting by doubling/etc to weaken or kill things such as lele, medicham, blace, or hoopa. i think overall scarf tar is probably outclassed by weavile because of its better speed stat and better job of killing and trapping threats, but scarf tar can definitely work too. bad company is a cool team featuring scarf ttar, where ttar was placed over weavile for its defensive utility and flying resist

Last edited:
Reserving Shuca Support Ttar

Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Atk / 60 Def / 104 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Shuca berry Tyranitar pairs really nicely with Sand Excadrill, luring Landorus-T and weakening Tank Chomp with Ice Beam. Its also nice vs offensive SD Garchomp, living a +2 EQ, and being able to live M.Garchomps Sand boosted EQ, weakening them both significantly, making preventing the opponents Rocks far easier. Tyranitar isn't 2hko by M.Latios's EQ on the switch, allowing this set to Ohko with Pursuit traping after Rocks, however if the Latios calls the bluff and stays in, Ttar loses. This means Ttar can successfully Pursuit trap M.Latios if safely brought in. While Stone Edge can also Pursuit trap, it loses if Latios stays in, meanThis set also can Ohko Gliscor after Rocks, with EQ doing very little in return even without Shuca. Lastly this set can work as an emergancy stop to both Dragonite and Charizard-X being able to Ohko both, with Stone Edge (Only if Multiscale is broken).
92 Attack Brave guarantees Pursuits Ohko on M.Latios after Rocks
92+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit (On switch) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios-Mega: 264-312 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

60 Defence guarantees Charizard-X Dragon Claw doesnt 2hko on switch
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Tyranitar: 148-175 (36.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

104 Special Attack Guarantees Ice Beam Ohkoes Defensive Landorus-T after Rocks
104 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 336-396 (87.9 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Rest in to Hp then SpDef

104 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 336-396 (105.3 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

104 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 316-376 (88.5 - 105.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

104 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 316-376 (75.2 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

92+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios-Mega: 134-158 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sand Storm damage

104 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 76 SpD Gliscor: 316-376 (89.7 - 106.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

92+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 300-354 (101 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

92+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 338-402 (104.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Note: Multiscale broken)

Last edited:
Tyranitar @ Custap Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Tar usually gets low on health over time when having to deal with Latios, Heatran, and Tornadus, especially with hazards up. This tech allows Tar to lure things that think they can kill it safely when its low, especially Alakazam and Latios, the former if you’re at full as you take Focus Blast. This set can be quite finicky to get working and isn’t super reliable but it’s an interesting lure. The EVs are like the AV spread, they let Tar take Focus Blast from Zam from 93% and 2 Latios EQs to get Custap to proc. Stone Edge allows Tar to kill unsuspecting Tornadus that stay in which Rock Slide can’t do.

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Reserving Tyraniboah (Mixed Lure)
Actually reserving Screech

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Screech
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock / Crunch / Ice Punch

Spread outspeeds MMaw and standard opposing Ttar, rest in bulk

This set was made by nameless90 and was used by robopoke a couple times I think. Screech + Pursuit is an interesting combo that can allow you to “boost” your Attack while bypassing Unaware. It also allows you to not worry about Zapdos PP stalling Stone Edge with Pressure + Roost. You can run regular Ttar for a free Mega slot and a potential resist berry, although you will miss the bulk and MegaTar is the better rocker.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Crunch / Stone Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Fire Punch

This is an old DPP set but it can still put in work in SM.

Tyranitar's high Special Defense in sand makes it an effective Curse user, as it patches up its already respectable Defense and also boosts its Attack to dangerous levels. Rest and Leftovers provide longevity, which allows Tyranitar to set up more and potentially win the game. Rest also means Tyranitar is able to shake off any status, which means it can comfortably set up on the likes of Toxapex, Chansey and even Rotom-Wash and Heatran. Crunch is reliable STAB that hits everything. Sleep Talk is the preferred choice for the final moveslot as it avoids Tyranitar from being helpless for two turns every time it uses Rest. However, Fire Punch is an option to hurt all the Steel-types that want to come in, like Kartana, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Magearna and Mawile. If you use Fire Punch, Stone Edge is preferred over Crunch as it hits harder and Fire Punch means you wouldn't be walled by Steel-types anymore.

The Mega stone can be used as it notably boosts its Attack and Defense to even higher levels, but it loses out on passive recovery and takes up the Mega slot, which is why Leftovers are usually preferred.

The spread is to allow non-Mega Tyranitar to survive the OHKO from Kartana's Leaf Blade without any Curse boosts and potentially OHKO it back with Fire Punch, while maximizing its Special Defense which allows it to survive Mega Alakazam's Focus Blast and OHKO it back with Crunch.

Last edited:
So here is Taunt Setup Status Tyranitar

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt / Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Crunch

In playing around with Tyranitar, originally trying to make block work, I happened to stumble onto this set. The point of this set is to severely annoy stall, and any defensive answers to Tyranitar, including those pesky haze users. In failing that, the backup plan is to spread status to any offensive threats looking to check it. This all comes with potential opportunities to setup and sweep. It really is dependent on matchup.

Taunt is the obvious kingpin of this set, allowing Tyranitar to avoid status moves entirely, it also stops specific pokemon from getting recovery (everything short of regenerator). Substitute can used over taunt as it is great in setting up a buffer on the switch or to avoid status, allowing Tyranitar to get off a solid hit or status something the next turn. DD and Crunch are decently standard, but the reason I chose crunch as the one attacking move is its PP and also its consistency in hitting most things. Thunder Wave allows Tyranitar to cripple threats and also stall mons. Toxic allows it to do even better against stall mons and ground types.

The HP investment allows Tyranitar to hit 401 hp, avoiding the 4hko from seismic toss. This combined with the sp def investment allows Tyranitar to take hits that quite frankly it has no business taking, allowing it to cripple faster threats after tanking a hit and removing threats. The reason I decided upon Mega-Tyranitar is specifically for its absurd bulk. While it loses its passive recovery from leftovers, it avoids some pretty important kos. Here are some calcs to prove this point (These are all in sand).

252+ SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 308-364 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magearna Twinkle Tackle (195 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 270-320 (67.3 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 336-396 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 258-306 (64.3 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 352-416 (87.7 - 103.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Reserving Assault Vest
AV Tyranitar is already a set on the Smogdex and thus you can't reserve it. Pick another one.

For future reference, I'm asking everyone to pay more attention to the "Banned Sets" list at the opening post of each cycle.

AV Tyranitar is already a set on the Smogdex and thus you can't reserve it. Pick another one.

For future reference, I'm asking everyone to pay more attention to the "Banned Sets" list at the opening post of each cycle.
Just double checking for future reference. With the banned sets, are we allowed to use a set that was banned and add a tech to it, or does the set have to be completely different?

For example, last round Wish Tect Jirachi was banned, but I used that set only with Secret Power over U-Turn/Body Slam. Will this be allowed in future?

Where would the line be drawn for adding Stone Edge on the AV Ttar set (not mentioned on smog dex or banned list) vs a more significant change like Dragon Tail or Foul Play ? Would it be just a case by case thing ?

I don't mean to be asking difficult questions on purpose sorry, just really like this project:)

Egor

RoAPL Champion
Just double checking for future reference. With the banned sets, are we allowed to use a set that was banned and add a tech to it, or does the set have to be completely different?

For example, last round Wish Tect Jirachi was banned, but I used that set only with Secret Power over U-Turn/Body Slam. Will this be allowed in future?

Where would the line be drawn for adding Stone Edge on the AV Ttar set (not mentioned on smog dex or banned list) vs a more significant change like Dragon Tail or Foul Play ? Would it be just a case by case thing ?

I don't mean to be asking difficult questions on purpose sorry, just really like this project:)
Various techs like your Secret Power on Wish Jirachi are perfectly fine here. However, these techs must provide something actually different from banned sets, so you can't just, say, slap Stone Edge over Rock Slide on AV Tyranitar and call it a day.

Rock Polish Mega Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

General idea
One of the biggest weaknesses of Tyranitar, aside from its defensive typing with a lot of (common) weaknesses, is its lowish Spe, which is somewhat rectified with the use of Rock Polish that doubles the Spe points.
With a +2 Spe under its belt, Tyranitar is now able to outspeed many threats and it isn't a deadweight anymore towards Hyper Offensive teams.
Aside from Rock Polish, which is the key of the set, the other three moves are pretty standard and customizable: Stone Edge is the STAB, whereas the Elemental Punches are here for coverage.

The Jolly nature is chosen in order to outspeed the fully invested base-70 Spe and in order to keep the Spe tie with the other Jolly Mega Tyranitar. Tyranitarite is chosen for the extra +10 base Spe upon megaevolving, but this set works with a lot of other boosting item even though you are stuck with a base 61 Spe.

The EVs (spread) and the item is pretty linear, so no explanation is needed.

Last edited:

Egor

RoAPL Champion
I'm going to set the voting phase up in a couple hours. Please fill up your reservations if you haven't done this yet.

Egor

RoAPL Champion

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
If I was paying attention I'd have written up a thing for Taunt + SR, but I really like Screech against a ton of shit and its ability to trap fat bastards is unparalleled

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)