Project OU Next Best Thing - Cycle Last: Mega Latias (Voting)

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
OUNextBestThing.jpg

amazing banner by MamOwOswine | approved by Leo | thread taken over and OP shamelessly stolen & adapted from curi | hosted by Egor

What is the Next Best Thing?
The Next Best Thing is a project where users search through the listed Pokemon's movepool and post about it. In your post, explain what is does and why it should be used over a standard set. Here are a few examples, courtesy of TPP, Anish and Finchinator, which can be found below!

click me!
Garchomp by TPP

click me!
Zygarde by Anish

click me!
Tangrowth by Finchinator

How does it work?
Every cycle a new Pokemon will be chosen for participants to create a new creative yet effective set, and this set should not be in progress of being written or already uploaded on the Smogdex. The participants will get 5 days to make their set and create their post. People may discuss the set posted during these 5 days, the following two days there will be a vote to represent the most creative yet effective set. After the voting, the winner will have been announced and their post will be archived.

Rules
  • Feel free to be as creative as possible, but you must be able to showcase the viability of your set. Replays are a good asset to demonstrate your arguments - especially for newer players - but are not compulsory.​
  • Your set may not be changed after the voting phase as begun, but may be changed prior to the voting stage.​
  • You may only submit one set per week.​
  • You cannot vote for your own set.​
  • Do not post sets that have either been reserved or have been posted. However, you may reserve a set if the reservation has not been altered for over 24 hours.​
  • Please do not make a habit out of not following up on your reservation.
  • Please do not reserve a set that currently has an analysis or is in the process of being created.
  • Finally, try follow the forum rules, meaning that you shouldn't post one-liners, unless voting. Try to also avoid double-posting if possible.​

Last edited:

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Hall of Fame
Cycle 1 - Kommo-o by Journalist

click me!

Cycle 2 - Clefable by Jordy

click me!

Cycle 3 - Jirachi by Dumb Sir

click me!

Cycle 4 - Magearna by KuraiTenshi26

click me!

Cycle 5 - Tyranitar by Solaros & Lunaris

click me!

Cycle 6 - Tapu Fini by Finchinator

click me!

Cycle 7 - Tapu Koko by Solaros & Lunaris

click me!

Cycle 8 - Tapu Bulu by Ceros

click me!

Cycle 9 - Tornadus-T by Jordy

click me!

Cycle 10 - Victini by Mannat

click me!
Cycle 11 - Kartana by Veez

click me!

Cycle 12 - Nihilego by Mannat

click me!

Cycle 13 - Serperior by Erzengel

click me!

Cycle 14 - Volcarona by DrPumpkinz

click me!

Cycle 15 - Ferrothorn by Veez
:sm/ferrothorn:
click me!

Cycle 16 - Celesteela by Tio Chico
:sm/celesteela:
click me!

Cycle 17 - Mega Scizor by Veez
:sm/scizor-mega:
click me!

Cycle 18 - Zapdos by ReadTheMango
:sm/zapdos:
click me!

Cycle 19 - Rotom-W by Katy
:sm/rotom-wash:
click me!

Cycle 20 - Kyurem-B by PsyducksChili
:sm/kyurem-black:
click me!

Cycle Last - Mega Latias by ???
:sm/latias-mega:
don't click me!​

Last edited:

Egor

RoAPL Champion
Cycle One - Kommo-o

Thanks to good stats and decent movepool, Kommo-o was recognized a viable Pokémon in the OU metagame. I has a niche on stall as a nice specially defensive wall that can beat Heatran and Blacephalon, and on HO as a dangerous setup sweeper. Recently Kommo-o has even received a new Stealth Rock set for BO teams that can function as a win condition too. Overall, this Pokémon is fairly versatile; can you guys invent a new effective set for it?

Banned Sets
| |
The deadline is Tuesday 14th of May. Good luck!

Last edited:

Kommo-o @ Choice Band
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

While really freakin terrible in UU, and I mean REALLY REALLY bad in UU, Choice Band Kommo-o can work in OU. With a great Physical Movepool for a fighting type (because Dragon STAB is terrible in the metagame), a decent speed tier, (which outruns basically any fatmon in the tier), and access to tools like Poison Jab and Ice Punch, nothing can reliably switch into Banded Kommo-o more than once in a game, especially with Hazards up. Banded Kommo-o legit 2HKO's everything in the tier, except like, Physdef Tangrowth, which crumbles to 2 Close Combats after Stealth Rocks and 1 layer of Spikes, and Bulky Psychics like Mew and Slowbro. And that's with Jolly Nature. If you opt for an Adamant Nature, you 2HKO everything, still barring Fat psychics. And I mean everything. Overall, Banded Kommo-o would be a poweful wallbreaker, only held back by its mediocre speed, and would make a fine Next Best Thing if Kommo-o's other sets aren't needed.

Last edited:
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon / Flamethrower

While this may seem like a terrible set, Autotomize Kommo-o can actually pull off a surprise sweep when opposing Tapu Fini/Tapu Koko are weakened. The given EV spread outspeeds Timid Heatran before +2, while Life Orb boosts its average Special Attack stat. Clang + Focus Blast is rather hard to switch into, and you can mix Flash Cannon into the pile to nail Fairy-types, while Flamethrower provides a more accurate result against Celesteela/Skarm/Ferro

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

An alternative to SubSalac on HO builds, this Kommo-o excels at checking threats offensively and prepping its own sweep. It acts as a middle ground for Offensive SR and SubSalac, maintaining the ability to sweep while checking Tran and AshGren like SR does. DD + Soulblaze means it doesn’t need to waste the Z for a boost and gives it more breathing room when setting up. Most people PJab in the last slot since it hits Fairies, but it can EQ, TPunch or w/e.

Last edited:
Work-Up Double Dance
kommoo.gif

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 244 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Work Up
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Poison Jab / Earthquake

So basically I made this set before z+dd was a thing, and to be fair that set is probably better in most situations. However, this one does have some niche over it. For example, you can setup work up on the lando switch, whereas with Z+dd you'd have to burn your z move right away and then follow up with clanging scales, decreasing your defense. A +2 clanging scales will also kill gliscor and helmet tornt after rocks. A +2 clangorous soulblaze will also kill venusaur after rocks (with a chance to kill sp.def pex as well) and a +2 clanging scales kills helmet tang without rocks. A +2 clangorous soublaze will finish off sab from full too, but you'll likely have to risk a burn to set up that much. Overall, this set is just much better at handling mons that kommo-o would typically struggle to deal with.

The evs give the set fantastic breaking power, but on the trade-off you cannot outspeed anythign faster than ash-gren at +1 (zam, lop, etc). Close combat is better for its raw breaking power, although drain punch is better for keeping kommo-o healthy to take on scarfers like kartana. I originally used earthquake here to bait in koko and magearna (because I cannot dragon dance and then pjab/cc them like Z+dd can), but with the amount of fairies running around, poison jab is kind of a must.

Here's some ancient replays I found from my old c&u sets post

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-720059867

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-720073193

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roar
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I opted for a rest talk set with Roar and Drain Punch. Really nice to be able to consistently switch in to AshGren and Heatran while being able to recover. Also deals with stuff like Chansey and Ferro as it can just Rest off any status or damage. Works really well with (Toxic) Spikes and Rocks up as you can just RestTalk Roar everything out after switching into a Hydro Pump or Magma Storm.

Attachments

Egor

RoAPL Champion
The voting phase starts in several hours. Don't forget to fill up your reservations if you haven't done this yet.

Egor

RoAPL Champion

The voting is over! And by its results, the winner of this cycle is RestTalk by Journalist. Congratulations! Your set will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. And now we're moving straight to the...

Cycle Two - Clefable

After Zygarde's ban, Clefable doesn't need to use a fully physically defensive spread anymore to check it, so Clefable can afford to run more options. Various sets like specially defensive set and even Life Orb had enjoyed a rise in prominence, and Unaware is still as good for stall as it used to be. Ok guys, what other cool sets can Clefable run? Show them here!

Banned Sets
|
The deadline is Tuesday 21st of May. Good luck!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)