Mewtwo Raid (September 1-17) + Lead Up Events (Aug 9, Aug 18)

I played this raid earlier today, won with both support and offence+terrain Mew. It is surprising to see randoms switching gears so drastically, from bringing only offence, to bringing nothing but endless support moves, I had trouble winning with the support set. In theory I like this raid idea, where you get Mew, and you can use any combination of moves to form any strategy, but the reality is that there are very few viable strategies, less than for a regular 7* raid, I would say.

I think my number one frustration in this raid is locking in with four Mew, any to realise a minute later that no one brought both SD and Leech life on the same set. And having to sit and wait the timer out. For a long time.
Bad randoms in a Mews clothing take silver.

I've used 5-6 different mons specifically built for this Mewtwo raid, and I want to reiterate that using anything other than Mew is really making a conscious choice to use inferior mons, and you are intentionally making the raid harder on yourself. And that's fine, if you like that kind of challenge. But if you are struggling to win this raid and you AREN'T using Mew, then you need to change your pokemon.

:sv/mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 210 Atk / 48 Spe
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Struggle Bug
- Misty Terrain
If you're like me and you don't like mashing through the Leftovers text/animation, use a Big Root instead

One crazy thought I had while doing this raid is that if Rock Smash were still in the games it'd be a legitimately solid tech choice to boost DPS through the shield lmao

Had a go using Spiritomb today, helped some random online get their Mewtwo. It works, but like the post a few ones above mine says, Mew is by far the best thing to use in this raid. Someone used Reflect Type on my Spiritomb - no idea why their Mew had it, but neat nonetheless.

This was the set if you’re curious

Spiritomb @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure (doesn’t matter)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
- Sassy nature
Tera type: Dark (again doesn’t matter)
- Snarl
- Foul Play
- Rock Tomb
- Sucker Punch

Most of the time you’ll be spamming Snarl. Lets the Mews focus on boosting up and smashing. Rock Tomb is good for when their SpAtk is low enough to stop doing serious damage. Foul Play and Sucker are largely filler.

If you're like me and you don't like mashing through the Leftovers text/animation, use a Big Root instead

One crazy thought I had while doing this raid is that if Rock Smash were still in the games it'd be a legitimately solid tech choice to boost DPS through the shield lmao
The chance isn't as high, but Crunch does let you fish for drops.

I just went up with a group with four Mews. Seems standard right? Well one of them had Transform... and used it when the shield was still up. I think it was Tera Fire with Transform, Flamethrower, Aura Sphere and it maybe used X-Scissor once though that could have been something else. Why? Just why?

I played this raid earlier today, won with both support and offence+terrain Mew. It is surprising to see randoms switching gears so drastically, from bringing only offence, to bringing nothing but endless support moves, I had trouble winning with the support set. In theory I like this raid idea, where you get Mew, and you can use any combination of moves to form any strategy, but the reality is that there are very few viable strategies, less than for a regular 7* raid, I would say.

I think my number one frustration in this raid is locking in with four Mew, any to realise a minute later that no one brought both SD and Leech life on the same set. And having to sit and wait the timer out. For a long time.
Bad randoms in a Mews clothing take silver.
yeah, it's not fun anymore after you beat it, or 2-3 times.

The less said about attempt 1 the better

Attempt 2 had full mew squadron!
And 3 of the mews had the bug set up, which is great!

the fourth mew just kept using acid spray, followed by nasty plot anmd eventually tera dark. I'm hitting hi mwith hammers in my mind. I'm the only one who didnt die that entire round

I would have been better off just spamming struggle bug the entire game, honestly.

e: Attempt 3 almost had a koraidon show up and i was about to turn into the joker

Rock Smash is still in the game though? It's learned by Zapdos-G, Sneasel-H and Sneasler, Riolu and Lucario, Crabrawler and Crabominable, Mudbray and Mudsdale, Passimian, Falinks, Cufant and Copperajah, Kubfu and Urshifu, Klawf, the Tinkatink line, and Koraidon. Also the Rufflet and Rookiedee lines via egg.

It took nearly 20 minutes, but Attempt 3 was a success. Caught it in a Dream Ball.

My only criticism is that that Mew to my left was a special attacking bug mew. It had all the other good support moves like Struggle Bug, Life Dew, Light Screen....and then Bug Buzz. Come on man.
Other criticism is one of the Mew wound up using Electric Terrain multiple times. I think they didn't realize Rest was just a once-per-battle thing and that if you skip it, it wont do it again

I eventually beat it but one guy kept trying to overwrite my Misty Terrain with Electric Terrain, even ending with my Mew getting Frozen at one point.

IMO Misty Terrain is always the better option, because it not only stops Rest from working, but it also staves off Ice Beam's Freeze chance

Rock Smash is still in the game though? It's learned by Zapdos-G, Sneasel-H and Sneasler, Riolu and Lucario, Crabrawler and Crabominable, Mudbray and Mudsdale, Passimian, Falinks, Cufant and Copperajah, Kubfu and Urshifu, Klawf, the Tinkatink line, and Koraidon. Also the Rufflet and Rookiedee lines via egg.
You are 100% correct! I have no idea why I thought it got deleted. I guess it's still accurate to say 'it's not a TM/HM anymore so it can't be included in this raid's best strategy'

You know, after taking another close look at the moveset I started to realize that there actually is a Pokemon that (somewhat) completely walls him. ... It's just too bad he isn't in the game! Go figure, the one generation where this awful Pokemon could've been one of the best things ever is the same generation that removed him!

When this raid first started a few hours ago, I was knocked on my ass. I didn’t think this raid would be winnable, much less farmable. But oh what a difference a few hours makes! I don’t think think this raid can be soloed, but a team win is not too tough, if you have the right pokemon for the job.

There are a few pokemon that can play support roles in this raid, but after trying several different mons, it’s pretty clear only one pokemon matters for this raid, and if you get a team with four of these — it’s actually an easy win:

:sv/mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 210 Atk / 48 Spe
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Struggle Bug
- Misty Terrain

This Mew is built to take advantage of Mewtwo’s weakness to Bug without opening yourself up to a supereffective hit, AND getting a steady stream of healing with every Leech Life. And because we are hitting on the physical side, we don’t care about Mewtwo boosting its SpDef with Calm Mind. We use Struggle Bug to keep M2’s SpAtk in check when it starts snowballing. And the icing on the cake move is Misty Terrain, which prevents Mewtwo from getting off that scripted Rest when the shield goes down.

The playbook is pretty clear with this:
Start off the battle using Struggle Bug, and if your teammates do the same, the attacks from Mewtwo will not bother you at all. After you get the SpAtk lowered, then proceed to Swords Dance up to +6, then start spamming Leech Seed and Tera as soon as you can. When you see the shield is getting close to breaking, you set Misty Terrain and the scripted Rest does nothing. Niiiiice. After that, just keep Struggle Bugging whenever it Calm Minds and otherwise just Leech Life for the win!

The EV’s above are important as it puts Mew at 248 Speed, which allows Mew to outspeed Mewtwo after the 20% speed boost is factored in. Very key to be able to Struggle Bug or Leech heal before M2 takes its shot. Also Leech Life is PP maxed and is totally necessary so you don’t run out of attacks.

I’ve seen some players use Electric Terrain instead of Misty Terrain, and that’s fine for the Rest-prevention. But Misty Terrain also protects your team from Ice Beam freezes, which can be a thing depending on your team. It’s also highly useful for someone to do Go All Out cheers at the appropriate times, because this is a long grind that needs all the DPS you can get.

I’ve run Light Screen and Life Dew as well (in addition to SD Leech, which are must-haves), and those were fine. But when you run those moves, you are probably counting on one or more of your teammates to be doing SpAtk debuffing and setting terrain to prevent the Rest. So yeah, if you have a coordinated team with everything in sync, it can be a very smooth raid with various teammates with different Mew sets or even an Armarouge or Grimmsnarl or whatever.

But if you run the Mew I show above, you can join almost any random team of not-stupid Mews and you’re probably gonna win.
thanks for this set buddy, worked amazing. Had a good team of people to support, but we found we had to focus a little more on getting his Sp.A down before I could get my SDs up. After that, it was plain sailing. Had a guy use H-Samurott as support which worked remarkably well!

Tinkaton sounds like it could be a fun meme option, I suppose. An extremely poor man's Mew, with access to Rock Smash.

Tinkaton @ Shell Bell
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Skitter Smack
- Rock Smash
- Light Screen
- Swords Dance

It's a shame Tinkaton can't learn Misty Terrain.

Tangential, which Ball are people catching Mewtwo in? I'm stuck between Dream, Love, and Beast (latter just because when else am I gonna get a reliable catch with this thing on this species)

Tangential, which Ball are people catching Mewtwo in? I'm stuck between Dream, Love, and Beast (latter just because when else am I gonna get a reliable catch with this thing on this species)
Love Ball for me! I like the juxtaposition of Mewtwo being a killing machine but being housed in a cutesy themed ball. (Also Love Ball is my favourite)

In SWSH I used a Moon Ball because I like the idea of Mewtwo being a guardian in the moonlight to the wild Pokémon. And also it’s pretty.

how would special attacking mews hold up (tera dark with dark pulse or smth idrk)?

Honestly I would really love to not have to re-invest all my evs into physical attack so if anyone has had success with special attacking mew builds feel free to let me know

how would special attacking mews hold up (tera dark with dark pulse or smth idrk)?

Honestly I would really love to not have to re-invest all my evs into physical attack so if anyone has had success with special attacking mew builds feel free to let me know
You'd pretty much need at least one ally constantly spamming Acid Spray to do any notable special damage, The only special Dark move that would matter at all against the Mewtwo is Snarl, and it isn't because of damage but because of the secondary effect. I'm afraid Swords Dance + Tera Bug Leech Life is the main way to get it done quick

I chose Luxury Ball mainly because I think it looks nice.

It really doesn't. It is constantly using Calm Mind, so you would have to be constantly lowering its special defense as well as its special attack. It's easier just to go all physical.

I'm weird and I went with a Dream Ball. Felt like the color matched more than Love Ball.

I've seen a ton of reports of Mews using Acid Spray or special attacking sets, sadly they're just a trap. I've seen a couple myself in the few extra attempts i did after catching it, it's just pointless, due to the spam of Calm Mind. Main problem is that you don't even *see* when he casts it in other player's turn, so even if you are willing to fully commit to the plan, you basically need every other turn to check if he buffed up and then debuff again... nah.

Though to those who still havent caught it and are planning to go on offense while playing with randoms, I would honestly recommend having X-scissor as 4th move. Reason being, I've seen a few times where I ended up with 3 support + a single offensive Mew, and that mew ended up running out of Leech Life PPs way before the shield even broke. Would have easily beat the raid if they just had a second offensive move.

Life dew is honestly kinda bad anyway. It only heals for 100 HP (uses Mew's base 400ish HP, not the buffed ones), it's mostly a dead moveslot, rather use X-scissor on turns you're on full HP to save LL PPs.

For Dark Mew you're really better off running Crunch Swords Dance. I really wonder why I haven't seen many people recommend Tera Dark. Super effective Aura Sphere is way less painful than neutral Psystrike. Or is it because Dark doesn't have a physical draining move (or a draining move period)?

For Dark Mew you're really better off running Crunch Swords Dance. I really wonder why I haven't seen many people recommend Tera Dark. Super effective Aura Sphere is way less painful than neutral Psystrike. Or is it because Dark doesn't have a physical draining move (or a draining move period).
It's because Leech Life refulls you without needing any external support once you're terad. And well for the support Mews, you can Tera Dark or even Tera Psychic, but Tera Bug does give a bit more oompf to Struggle Bug which helps with chipping at the massive HP bar.

Also somewhat related, Tera Bug will indeed cause Mewtwo to spam Psystrike. However Psystrike from a -4 or lower Mewtwo on 252 def barely tickles anyway, expecially if Light Screen is on, and has the main benefit of not needing to keep up Misty Terrain to prevent freezes.

I went with a 212 HP/252 ATK/44 Spe spread for my offensive Mew (outspeeds Mewtwo by 1 point and then pumps up the other stats as expected) so I could ensure I got a heal off Leech Life after a Crit or a Debuff from Struggle Bug early on before eating my first hits.

Something I'll recommend for convenience if nothing else if you have Terrain Support, put some EVs into DEF if going with an offensive build to make it a bit higher than your SpD. I had a win before I remembered to give Mew a Nature Mint and was running Naughty, so Mewtwo spammed Ice Beam instead of Psystrike a lot more often before I went Tera Bug and I think even after. I mostly recommend this because Ice Beam has a shorter animation due to not having the "Tera STAB" flair every time Mewtwo attacks, which saves a little time and each of my wins was down to the wire.

I was wondering why Mew's stats would be raised when battling against Mewtwo in its raid (from a logical/lore perspective).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)