Mewtwo Raid (September 1-17) + Lead Up Events (Aug 9, Aug 18)

Yeah, I am very convinced Shedinja would've made this very easy, especially if you give him the Focus Sash just in case Mewtwo manages to land a hit after getting hit by so many mud slaps.

252+ Atk Tera Bug Mew Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Tera Psychic Mewtwo: 230-272 (65.1 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Tera Ghost Shedinja Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Tera Psychic Mewtwo: 224-264 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Literally the only reason Shedinja does less damage is because of Shadow Claw's lower power, which is made up for by its higher crit rate. And even then, it isn't even weaker by that much. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to miss Shedinja.

Man I hopped in to try and do a couple raids out of boredom while I read stuff, and I am convinced all the good Raid players stop after the first day. I have seen 4 Mews using Amnesia and 3 using Nasty Plot, which is a lost cause the second you see Calm Mind on both fronts, nevermind Psystrike. A way to check peoples movesets before readying up would also be nice.

Times like this make me wish there was a way to abandon a raid in Multiplayer because once a raid becomes a lost cause the only thing to do is wait until the timer expires. To people thinking this would be toxic, I say still worth it: the other way to outright Grief is to bring Sandbag mons (Steel Beam is a garbage move just for this reason), and at least one takes less time to resolve than the other

Yeah, I am very convinced Shedinja would've made this very easy, especially if you give him the Focus Sash just in case Mewtwo manages to land a hit after getting hit by so many mud slaps.

252+ Atk Tera Bug Mew Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Tera Psychic Mewtwo: 230-272 (65.1 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Tera Ghost Shedinja Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Tera Psychic Mewtwo: 224-264 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Literally the only reason Shedinja does less damage is because of Shadow Claw's lower power, which is made up for by its higher crit rate. And even then, it isn't even weaker by that much. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to miss Shedinja.
Even if Shedinja was available in SV and Mewtwo had the same moveset that couldn't hit it for some reason, Mew would still be better because of the omniboost and the fact that Shedinja does not have Swords Dance or another way to reliably boost Attack.

Also ya'll forgetting the fact that the ability debuff pulse exists which is basically a guaranteed death next turn. Which iirc gets used twice.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even if Shedinja was available in SV and Mewtwo had the same moveset that couldn't hit it for some reason, Mew would still be better because of the omniboost and the fact that Shedinja does not have Swords Dance or another way to reliably boost Attack.
Shedinja does learn Swords Dance in gen 3 and 4. Hone Claws in gen 5 and 6.

Also ya'll forgetting the fact that the ability debuff pulse exists which is basically a guaranteed death next turn. Which iirc gets used twice.
You're the one forgetting Ability Shield is a thing.

There's no doubt 4 Shedinja would win this. Probably 2 would be enough. But it's kinda pointless to theorize further since Shedinja is not in the game.

You're the one forgetting Ability Shield is a thing.

There's no doubt 4 Shedinja would win this. Probably 2 would be enough. But it's kinda pointless to theorize further since Shedinja is not in the game.
Sure, you can use ability shield, which means you're however giving up a damage boosting item.

So yes, 4 shedinjas will... have to... burn through 150% hp the boss HP (since they can't prevent sleep), with no boosting move (Shedinja does NOT get Sword Dance nor Hone Claws in gen 8.
Gamefreaks very intentionally prevented Shedinja from having any way to boost its attack since gen 7, probably because they know that Shedinja is always a viable choice during restricted format due to walling Kyogre, Xerneas, and actually also Zacian, and ironically right now it'd also wall the 2nd most common mon in the game, Urshifu-water.
Oh have i mentioned how it also basically walls Miraidon / forces it to run a suboptimal Overheat or Power Gem just for it?

You'll forgive me but I struggle to see how you're literally not running out of PPs before the boss even dies. It's all ipoteticals anyway, Shedinja isn't in this generation and likely never will be cause they don't want to have to deal with how obnoxious Tera Shedinja would be in VGC (not broken, just stupidly annoying due to turning the entire game in a matchup fish).

Man I hopped in to try and do a couple raids out of boredom while I read stuff, and I am convinced all the good Raid players stop after the first day. I have seen 4 Mews using Amnesia and 3 using Nasty Plot, which is a lost cause the second you see Calm Mind on both fronts, nevermind Psystrike. A way to check peoples movesets before readying up would also be nice.

Times like this make me wish there was a way to abandon a raid in Multiplayer because once a raid becomes a lost cause the only thing to do is wait until the timer expires. To people thinking this would be toxic, I say still worth it: the other way to outright Grief is to bring Sandbag mons (Steel Beam is a garbage move just for this reason), and at least one takes less time to resolve than the other
I think there should at least be a collective forfeit option where if everyone selects it (or maybe 3/4?) the raid ends. There'd still be times where you're trapped in a raid by a hopelessly naive child, but it'd at least be something.

Alright, that does it, Mewtwo can go fuck itself. I lost all the care in the world at this point. The worst part was I nearly had it for one of my runs. I just needed one more Leech Life (I actually only had one left), but of course, Mewtwo reset my buffs and I didn't have enough time to buff Mew with Bulk Up enough. Ugh, and don't get me started on the crits and freezes. Not to mention sometimes it feels like accuracy drops don't mean shit, not helped by the fact when Mewtwo removes your buffs you have to pray Mewtwo misses Psystrike because if he doesn't you might as well restart the whole damn thing. I am convinced that no one playtested this. I don't even know why I was being so stubborn about it, Mewtwo's not even one of my top 5 favorite legendaries. It's. Not. Worth it. And this time, I mean it for real. I am not changing my mind this time.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Shedinja would probably still be a good support Pokemon because of Struggle Bug, Mud-Slap, and not being able to faint. You could also have a friend use Power Swap on Shedinja to give it a +6 Attack if you really want to. You probably shouldn't, but it'd be fun if it worked.

Ability Shield FTW!

Hypothetical stuff aside, Shedinja is one of the 5 Pokemon banned from Nat Dex Ubers so I'm going to say it's a good thing Shedinja isn't in SV.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Alright, that does it, Mewtwo can go fuck itself. I lost all the care in the world at this point. The worst part was I nearly had it for one of my runs. I just needed one more Leech Life (I actually only had one left), but of course, Mewtwo reset my buffs and I didn't have enough time to buff Mew with Bulk Up enough. Ugh, and don't get me started on the crits and freezes. Not to mention sometimes it feels like accuracy drops don't mean shit, not helped by the fact when Mewtwo removes your buffs you have to pray Mewtwo misses Psystrike because if he doesn't you might as well restart the whole damn thing. I am convinced that no one playtested this. I don't even know why I was being so stubborn about it, Mewtwo's not even one of my top 5 favorite legendaries. It's. Not. Worth it. And this time, I mean it for real. I am not changing my mind this time.
The Mud Slap solo strategy relies entirely on getting lucky. Don't lose sleep over not getting lucky. If you have access to online raids, go do it with a group; if you don't, don't sweat it. It's not like Mewtwo has been good in any of the official restricted formats since 2010, you aren't really missing much.

Somebody surely did test the Mewtwo raid, and the idea was probably "make this impossible to reliably solo." Same deal with some of the uncatchable raids in Sword and Shield.

Switch Bulk Up with Swords Dance (BU is way too slow to get going), Mud Slap with Struggle Bug (if you don’t have it already, MS is too unreliable) and throw Misty Terrain on your moveset to stop freeze hax and the Rest turn. And absolutely do this with coordination. Ideally you want all 4 of you Struggle Bugging 2-3 times in a row at the start of the raid. It’s not as difficult as it seems to be.

Switch Bulk Up with Swords Dance (BU is way too slow to get going), Mud Slap with Struggle Bug (if you don’t have it already, MS is too unreliable) and throw Misty Terrain on your moveset to stop freeze hax and the Rest turn. And absolutely do this with coordination. Ideally you want all 4 of you Struggle Bugging 2-3 times in a row at the start of the raid. It’s not as difficult as it seems to be.
I do raids solo.

I'm like 90% sure that if Shedinja was in the game that Mewtwo would have Shadow Ball and they'd have put Calm Mind in the bonus slots.

After a few failed lobbies where people were using stuff like Corviknight and Crunch rather than Leech Life on Mew, I finally got into a mostly competent group and got my Mewtwo. Teammates were spamming Struggle Bug and Life Dew for most of the beginning while I set up the first Light Screen and began getting up my Swords Dances. I say mostly competent because one Mew occasionally used Acid Spray, but fortunately they didn’t waste too many turns with that. Seemed like two of us were mostly offense, while the other two were support, which worked out well for us. One Mew got up the Misty Terrain just in time to block Rest. When I got Mewtwo down to its last chunks of health, I had only 3 Leech Lifes left, still at +6 at this point, so I used an attack cheer before using all three of them. I’d like to think that extra boost made the difference, as it really did take my very last Leech Life to defeat Mewtwo. No one died, so we had a decent amount of time left too. Caught it in a Dream Ball for the color coordination.
IMG_4017.jpeg
IMG_4019.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone done any calculations on using Focus Energy and Scope Lens in place of Bright Powder? Since I've already cleared a few of these raids with the "standard" Mew set, I was thinking about playing around a little.

Before I do calculations, can someone please tell me how the stat boost actually works for Mew? Because I've assumed that it would be the base stats getting the boost, therefore he pretty much has Arceus' stats aside from HP, but when I change Mew's base speed to 120 and give him 48 Speed he's still slower than Mewtwo by 8 points. Not only that, during the raid Mew's HP is 511, yet when I change Mew's base HP to 150 it's only 441.

Last edited:
Before I do calculations, can someone please tell me how the stat boost actually works for Mew? Because I've assumed that it would be the base stats getting the boost, therefore he pretty much has Arceus' stats aside from HP, but when I change Mew's base speed to 120 and give him 48 Speed he's still slower than Mewtwo by 8 points. Not only that, during the raid Mew's HP is 511, yet when I change Mew's base HP to 150 it's only 441.
Stuff like this doesnt roll off base stat, it rolls off the actual stat I believe

So just purely hypothetically, if you had a +Spd, 31 IV, 252 Spd EV Mew the speed stat is 328. That gets the 20% boost to ~393
Likewise a full HP investment Mew lands on 404; that gets boosted by 50% to 606

Has anyone done any calculations on using Focus Energy and Scope Lens in place of Bright Powder? Since I've already cleared a few of these raids with the "standard" Mew set, I was thinking about playing around a little.
+6 252+ Atk Tera Bug Mew Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo on a critical hit: 1454-1712 (411.8 - 484.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Stuff like this doesnt roll off base stat, it rolls off the actual stat I believe

So just purely hypothetically, if you had a +Spd, 31 IV, 252 Spd EV Mew the speed stat is 328. That gets the 20% boost to ~393
Likewise a full HP investment Mew lands on 404; that gets boosted by 50% to 606
Yup, it's a 20% boost to the stat number itself. 48 Speed EVs puts neutral speed Mew at 248. A 20% boost to that puts it at 297, one point faster than Modest Mewtwo. I recommend all sets, whether support or DPS, include those 48 Speed EVs since going for an attack or a support move before Mewtwo can act is crucial, and it's not even that much Speed investment.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If you want to use a damage calculator and factor in the Mew boost, for the following EV’s (attacking Mew):
EVs: 252 HP / 210 Atk / 48 Spe
Here are the effective base stats for Mew in battle against Mewtwo:
Base Stats: 201 / 129 / 123 / 123 / 123 / 125

So, if you key in those base stats and EV’s into the Showdown damage calc, then the calcs will be quite accurate. Not perfectly accurate, but good enough for raid purposes.

Somebody surely did test the Mewtwo raid, and the idea was probably "make this impossible to reliably solo." Same deal with some of the uncatchable raids in Sword and Shield.
I haven't seen this come up a lot, but I think the raid designers are becoming more skilled at designing these raids to have a fairly narrow range of acceptable solutions. It's been a lot of fun to try to "solve" this raid, and see what other people come up with.

I also think that Bug Mew working so well for randomly-matched raids was intentional. To an extent, it looks to me like the raids are about using strategies outside the norm of regular or PvP competitive play--and I don't think I've seen Tera Bug thrown around for much other than Lokix or something similarly very niche. Even if it wasn't intentional, I find the reign of Tera Bug Mew pretty funny.

I haven't seen this come up a lot, but I think the raid designers are becoming more skilled at designing these raids to have a fairly narrow range of acceptable solutions. It's been a lot of fun to try to "solve" this raid, and see what other people come up with.

I also think that Bug Mew working so well for randomly-matched raids was intentional. To an extent, it looks to me like the raids are about using strategies outside the norm of regular or PvP competitive play--and I don't think I've seen Tera Bug thrown around for much other than Lokix or something similarly very niche. Even if it wasn't intentional, I find the reign of Tera Bug Mew pretty funny.
There's surely a bit of "experience gain" in this scenario.

I'd assume one of the big questionmarks expecially when designing the first few raids must have been "how players will deal with it".

Charizard raid was overally pretty simple and just had players use whatever resist with high special defense.
Cinderace was given ways to buff itself and people complained of how both needed strictly specific pokemon & even then was just very frustrating and rng.
The Pikachu raid then was all about this massive shield to break while for the love of arceus not spamming Miraidon.

Then the following raid were progressively more tuned to:
- not have pokemon that completely invalidate their existance (bar some funny oversights with the AI like Dachsbun on Delphox) by nulling every attack or taking negligible damage
- not have infinite buffing and rather have specific buffing benchmarks for the players to deal with
- have a clear gameplan (some where pure bruteforce, some had you figure how to deal with their buffs, some others were about solving which pokemon can actually deal enough damage to beat the shield
- force you to think outside of the box from what you'd be doing competitively or even casually (which is also one of the reasons casual struggle with it, ha ha supereffective go brr doesn't quite work)
- give room for people to play support instead of full offense, which incidentally allows even people who havent got a reserve of exp candies and whatnot to partecipate as support mons are relatively easier to build around and play

The Mewtwo raid was definitely designed with the idea that you'd have or at very least want to use Mew. I'm not sure they specifically intended *bug* Mew to be the thing, but the intent of wanting you to use Mew was pretty obvious from both the announcement itself (with the hype video + mew itself getting the massive stat boost) and the raid design, as due to the specific coverage chosen, on anything that isn't a psychic type or gholdengo you have to facetank Tera boosted Psystrike coming off Mewtwo's 154 spatk, or supereffective Aura Spheres.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)