Mewtwo Raid (September 1-17) + Lead Up Events (Aug 9, Aug 18)

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TBF, Spiritomb is still hit neutrally by Ice Beam. At least Gholdengo resists it on top of being immune to Aura Sphere and resisting Psystrike.
TBF neutral Ice Beam is weaker than resisted tera-Psystrike.

But at least you avoid the risk of freeze

Does any of you know of a 2 man setup that is workable "normally"? (as in, not the oneshot)

I tried 2 mews (one support one offense) but i couldnt keep up with the calm mind spam alone and eventually we got overrun.

(I'm trying to help a friend who doesn't have NSO)

Does any of you know of a 2 man setup that is workable "normally"? (as in, not the oneshot)

I tried 2 mews (one support one offense) but i couldnt keep up with the calm mind spam alone and eventually we got overrun.

(I'm trying to help a friend who doesn't have NSO)
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonScarletViolet/comments/167jicz

2 Mews should be possible but not easy. The first thread goes with offense/support while the video uses two offense built Mews. An AI Bellibolt would be ideal if you can get it but you can't lock it in if playing in a group.

Knocked this out last night. 4 Bug Mews seems to be the way forward. Someone mentioned just leaving the raid if someone rocks up with something else besides Mew, and I fully second that.

Even with 4 Mews in preview, someone can still do something stupid. I saw a guy running his Mew with a Fighting Tera Type for example, also saw an Iron Hands and Koraidon in my 5-6 attempts to beat the raid. I just don't understand the logic of these players unless they were just hoping for an easy carry.

I have to say, I have yet to see a higher degree of freeze bullshit in Pokemon prior to this raid. Ice Beam is meant to have a freeze chance of 10% if im not mistaken, but I'd believe you if you told me it was 50% based on this raid. Infuriating, but not a surefire wipe if your team mates are at least somewhat competent. I managed to die on my winning attempt while boosting up with Swords Dance - a combination of Freeze hax and the fact Mewtwo seemed to have a boner for my Mew specifically. Literally beaten the shit out of with Psystrike in the first 4-5 turns.

Overall, great fun though. Nice to have a credible challenge. Would like to see more raid events like this but cant think of many similar themes that would work well in practice given the types of the other legendary Duo/Trios. Also a shame that the supporting events that grant access to "good attacking and support options" was totally pointless.

Overall, great fun though. Nice to have a credible challenge. Would like to see more raid events like this but cant think of many similar themes that would work well in practice given the types of the other legendary Duo/Trios. Also a shame that the supporting events that grant access to "good attacking and support options" was totally pointless.
One idea I had if they could find a solution to Virizion was Keldeo vs the other 3 Swords as Training sessions. And the support options were able to work in my experience, they just aren't as good as Mew itself in their respective roles. I did get some runs while doing repeat attempts to kill time where people used Grimmsnarl or Scizor, and they worked well enough in their slot even if we lost to other factors (Freeze Hacks/Crits killing Tera DPS or the 12th Nasty Plot Mew of the week being one of the other randos)

One idea I had if they could find a solution to Virizion was Keldeo vs the other 3 Swords as Training sessions. And the support options were able to work in my experience, they just aren't as good as Mew itself in their respective roles. I did get some runs while doing repeat attempts to kill time where people used Grimmsnarl or Scizor, and they worked well enough in their slot even if we lost to other factors (Freeze Hacks/Crits killing Tera DPS or the 12th Nasty Plot Mew of the week being one of the other randos)
Sure, the other supporters would have worked, but i have no doubt that this would not be the case in the hands of unfamiliar players when its easier to chuck in a serial code to get a mon that gets better buffs. A bit carrot-on-stick if you ask me as i felt it encouraged those players to rock up with any old shit Mew and expect to get the job done.

I read about the Keldeo vs other swords idea, and the immediate response was the Virizion issue - your idea seems a fair way to get around it.

Had also thought of boosted Rayquaza vs Kyogre/Groudon, its the only trio I could think of thats not hampered by a resident dragon type, or obstructed by unfair matchups (see: Necrozma/Solgaleo/Lunala).

Sure, the other supporters would have worked, but i have no doubt that this would not be the case in the hands of unfamiliar players when its easier to chuck in a serial code to get a mon that gets better buffs. A bit carrot-on-stick if you ask me as i felt it encouraged those players to rock up with any old shit Mew and expect to get the job done.

I read about the Keldeo vs other swords idea, and the immediate response was the Virizion issue - your idea seems a fair way to get around it.

Had also thought of boosted Rayquaza vs Kyogre/Groudon, its the only trio I could think of thats not hampered by a resident dragon type, or obstructed by unfair matchups (see: Necrozma/Solgaleo/Lunala).
Zacian and Zamazenta Raids leading up to Eternatus could also work (Howl from Zama actually does something useful for Raids), or Regigigas vs the other Golems win all 5 to remove Slow Start

Arceus and the Creation Trio might also function for that, if only by Arceus's nature to change types for each rather than being constrained to pre-Tera types. Or the Lake Trio vs Palkia and Dialga? Nothing requires things stay just within the one Trio/Duo if we're going for Lore.

If they are gonna do something like this for Legend raids, I've only got 1 request. Actually make it so people who want to do it solo have a fair chance. Seriously, nothing about this Mewtwo raid is fair for Solo players. You need the biggest luck imaginable to have even a slight chance of beating him. I can tolerate the instant shield, I can tolerate the *50 health (though those defensive EVs were completely unnecessary), the Rest... Ok, you kind of got me there. What I won't tolerate is the constant Calm Mind spam. Didn't people freaking loathe the Dragonite and Gardevoir raids for their constant use of Dragon Dance/Calm Mind? Ugh, and I never even fought them myself. Are these people really just trying to push Mewtwo as the og "most powerful Pokemon ever"? Because compared to complete terrors like Mega Rayquaza, Gen 4 Arceus, Ultra Necrozma, Gen 8 Zacian, and Shadow Calyrex he's nothing.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If they are gonna do something like this for Legend raids, I've only got 1 request. Actually make it so people who want to do it solo have a fair chance. Seriously, nothing about this Mewtwo raid is fair for Solo players. You need the biggest luck imaginable to have even a slight chance of beating him. I can tolerate the instant shield, I can tolerate the *50 health (though those defensive EVs were completely unnecessary), the Rest... Ok, you kind of got me there. What I won't tolerate is the constant Calm Mind spam. Didn't people freaking loathe the Dragonite and Gardevoir raids for their constant use of Dragon Dance/Calm Mind? Ugh, and I never even fought them myself. Are these people really just trying to push Mewtwo as the og "most powerful Pokemon ever"? Because compared to complete terrors like Mega Rayquaza, Gen 4 Arceus, Ultra Necrozma, Gen 8 Zacian, and Shadow Calyrex he's nothing.
They’d have to make different raids/movesets for the online raids then, since if its easily soloable, people online won’t find much difficulty in it.

Won’t get into your second point as you’re trying to compare lore with competitive usefulness.

Zacian and Zamazenta Raids leading up to Eternatus could also work (Howl from Zama actually does something useful for Raids), or Regigigas vs the other Golems win all 5 to remove Slow Start

Arceus and the Creation Trio might also function for that, if only by Arceus's nature to change types for each rather than being constrained to pre-Tera types. Or the Lake Trio vs Palkia and Dialga? Nothing requires things stay just within the one Trio/Duo if we're going for Lore.
I really like the Zacian/Zamazenta idea. It reminds me of a return to the tower summit in Galar. Likewise, with access to Regieleki and Regidrago limited to SwSh and GO, i would be all for it, unless the intent was to keep access limited. Same logic applies to the genies and Enamorus.

The Lake Guardians are just kind of meh in my opinion. However, if the prize is an Arceus, I can definitely see that idea gaining traction too.

Had a rather strange interaction with another player in a raid recently. It didn't affect the outcome of the raid or anything, but it just made me go, "...why?..."

4 Bug Mews as per usual, get to around half of Mewtwo's health. I set up Misty Terrain, and another player immediately sets Electric Terrain right after. No biggie, sometimes we input those moves at the same time. Mewtwo can't Rest, either way.

Shortly after the shield break, I attempt to reset Misty Terrain so that no one gets frozen by Ice Beam during the two-attack phase of the raid. The same player...resets Electric Terrain the turn after I did it?...

Bruh, it would have been funny as hell if any of us actually got frozen because of that. Randoms are weird, and the sky is blue.

Had a rather strange interaction with another player in a raid recently. It didn't affect the outcome of the raid or anything, but it just made me go, "...why?..."

4 Bug Mews as per usual, get to around half of Mewtwo's health. I set up Misty Terrain, and another player immediately sets Electric Terrain right after. No biggie, sometimes we input those moves at the same time. Mewtwo can't Rest, either way.

Shortly after the shield break, I attempt to reset Misty Terrain so that no one gets frozen by Ice Beam during the two-attack phase of the raid. The same player...resets Electric Terrain the turn after I did it?...

Bruh, it would have been funny as hell if any of us actually got frozen because of that. Randoms are weird, and the sky is blue.
The good thing about this behaviour is that you actually do keep refreshing the terrain so it's basically guaranteed that Mewtwo won't rest...

...for all the good that really does honestly but heh.

The good thing about this behaviour is that you actually do keep refreshing the terrain so it's basically guaranteed that Mewtwo won't rest...

...for all the good that really does honestly but heh.
Nah, like the second terrain refresh was two or three turns after Mewtwo attempted to use Rest :worrywhirl:

Were they trying to use a move that would affect Mewtwo? My first guess is an unfamiliar player who thinks Misty Terrain could block other things like Struggle Bug's SpA drop

By the way, not that I plan on fighting him again, but for Solo do you guys think running Light Screen over Amnesia would be a viable strategy since raid bosses can't remove screens? Assuming I got the base stats right (I basically increased them until I got the closest to the percentage increase without going over) this is the calc I got for Psystrike.

+6 6+ SpA Tera Psychic Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 210 Def Tera Bug Mew through Light Screen: 316-372 (61.8 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So unless he crits Mew can survive 1 and go for Bulk Up, at which point just gotta hope the -6 accuracy will make him miss the 2nd one. Or is it too much of a hassle to constantly apply Light Screen every 3 turns?

By the way, not that I plan on fighting him again, but for Solo do you guys think running Light Screen over Amnesia would be a viable strategy since raid bosses can't remove screens? Assuming I got the base stats right (I basically increased them until I got the closest to the percentage increase without going over) this is the calc I got for Psystrike.

+6 6+ SpA Tera Psychic Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 210 Def Tera Bug Mew through Light Screen: 316-372 (61.8 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So unless he crits Mew can survive 1 and go for Bulk Up, at which point just gotta hope the -6 accuracy will make him miss the 2nd one. Or is it too much of a hassle to constantly apply Light Screen every 3 turns?
If your problem is not dieing turn 1, remember solo you have the guaranteed defense cheer from the AI which doesn't get ignored by a crit, and that lasts for 3 turns.

The main issue is that Light Screen only lasts 5 turns, Amnesia lasts "until debuff" and a single cast is more effective than a Light Screen anyway.

Notably the AI defense cheer does not apply to your first move because the AI moves after you do, but speaking of solos another interesting solo has been discovered without Mew, using Unaware Tera Ghost Skeledirge that relies on Lick paralysis coming in at crucial times and good AI that also took over 10 hours to beat. I actually considered using Fire with Torch Song before but there are some interesting insights here that barely make it possible.

(original video)
(mostly translated guide)
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonScarletViolet/comments/16akxi6
The set is Lick/Torch Song/Hex/Slack Off with a Shell Bell and max SpA/Def and 4 HP.

According to the video's description, if a player dies with cheer effects up, then the buff will be applied permanently and they take advantage of this by setting Attack and Defense cheers and dying on turn 4. They seem to prefer Dudunsparce and Umbreon for reliable post-shield paralysis setting. They also claim that the ability debuff effect lasts until the party has all moved like other field effects, so AI deaths can be an issue for leaving yourself open to it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)