XY Metagame Speculation [SPOILERS ITT]

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, now that we almost know Yveltal' stats, let's theorymon a bit about its possible sets in Ubers. For theorymon's sake, i am going to assume its stats are 140 HP / 130 Atk / 90 Def / 130 SpA / 95 SpD / 95 Spe (680 BST). Here are some possible sets:

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura (or whatever this shit is called)
Nature: Adamant / Brave
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
- Payback
- Brave Bird / Oblivion Wing
- Roost
- Fire move / phazing move / Fighting move

Good switch-in to support Groudon, CM GhostCeus, Darkrai (after Sleep Clause has been activated), Giratina-0, Thunder-less Latios (with a SpD spread), and Arceus-Fighting. Atk EVs allow Payback to always OHKO 252 HP Arceus-Ghost after SR, assuming Dark Aura gives a 30% boost to Dark moves. Brave Bird deals with Arceus-Fighting, Arceus-Grass, and Pokemon that are slower than Yveltal, while Oblivion Wing provides some healing and a strong hit against Groudon, and will be the Flying STAB of choice if Yveltal doesn't get Brave Bird at all. Roost is Roost, and the final move depends on what your team needs more and what Yveltal actually gets (imo Whirlwind and Focus Blast will almost surely be at its movepool, and Fire moves have a pretty good chance as well, it's the destruction Pokemon after all). Here are some calcs that show how well Yveltal can take hits and dish out pain(Darkrai with Dark / Flying typing was used for the calcs):
  • 4 Atk Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 226-266 (46.79 - 55.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 4 Atk Groudon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Darkrai (While Roosting): 169-199 (34.98 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
So Yveltal can take the Stone Edge on the switch, and the slowly Roost back to full health, at worst case scenario, while slowly killing Groudon.
  • +1 4 SpA Arceus-Ghost Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Darkrai: 150-177 (31.05 - 36.64%)
So GhostCeus fails to even 2HKO after SR, while getting OHKOed back. GG GhostCeus.
  • +1 4 SpA Arceus-Fighting Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Darkrai: 238-280 (49.27 - 57.97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 208+ Atk Darkrai Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Fighting: 356-422 (80.18 - 95.04%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
So if Arceus-Fighting has taken even the smaller of damage, Yveltal wins.
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Darkrai: 346-407 (71.63 - 84.26%)
  • +208+ Atk Darkrai Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 229-270 (81.2 - 95.74%)
  • 0- SpA Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Darkrai: 214-252 (75.88 - 89.36%)
So Yveltal almost always survives even the strongest hit that Darkrai can muster against him, and OHKOes back with Brave Bird (after SR and 1 round of LO, while dying in the process), or OHKOes with Focus Blast (most of the time with Adamant, always with Brave).

While it's role as a tank might seem very similar and even maybe a bit outclassed by Ho-Oh, Yveltal fares much better against GhostCeus (huge threat), support Groudon, Latios with Surf in rain, Giratina-0, and Giratina, doesn't get nerfed in rain, and has much less trouble with SR.

Idk, maybe i have put too much Atk on that set, and OHKOing GhostCeus with Payback isn't needed, seeing as he can't even 2HKO with SR after a boost, so putting more EVs to SpD would be a better option... What do you think? Any other good sets?

Last edited:
How screwed is Giratina-A this generation? Dragon Tail is even less viable than before, and running RestTalk/roar/WoW is slightly nerfed due to the (not 100% confirmed) SR nerf. It won't be as easy to pair it with a Steel type since Steel no longer resists Dark and Ghost. On top of that, all the legends introduced this gen have super effective STAB against it.

I can't wait to see Yvetal's full movepool, it looks like it will get some pretty interesting support moves that you don't often see on cover legends. A set with Sub/Disable/Oblivion Wing/filler would allow it to function like a slower, bulkier Gengar with an HP restoring move.

Last edited:
So based in that description, it seems like you use Geomancy turn 1, use an attack turn 2, and then get the boost. If this works with Power Herb, look out.

At what level was Xernaeas caught? It looks to have a similar stat spread to Yveltal, honestly. And with what's basically a +2 Quiver Dance, it will be threatening no doubt. Fairy has excellent coverage, so a set running Geomancy / Protect / Fairy STAB / Thunder(bolt) could wreak havoc on Ubers. The electric attack allows it to hit Ho-Oh and Steel types that would otherwise wall its STAB, but it could be replaced by a Fighting or Ground move if Ho-Oh is of no concern.

that's a fresh x legend, it's a solarbeam like charge turn so you'll need power herb for it to be worth anything

The real threat is this thing:
http://puu.sh/4LOUD.png
He's talking about Kelfki in that post
A fairy/steel mon with prankster
Yeah fuck these cock teases, Carbink better be something

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Still, Geomancy/Moonblast/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire @ Power Herb basically hits everything Xerneas needs to hit.

Also I think Geomancy works like Sky Attack where it's a charge turn you're stuck in.

that's a fresh x legend, it's a solarbeam like charge turn so you'll need power herb for it to be worth anything

The real threat is this thing:
http://puu.sh/4LOUD.png
He's talking about Kelfki in that post
A fairy/steel mon with prankster
Yeah fuck these cock teases, Carbink better be something
Not to mention Klefki learns Spikes, and probably thanks to its steel typing, Stealth Rock as well.
It's that Full-Hazards Prankster 'mon we've always wanted O_o

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
oh my god i know that i've hated XY in the beginning of the leaks but i'm so hyped for it right now. klefki / xerneas and yveltal even though xerneas owned it are the ones im looking for the most. xerneas is going to be the new ho-oh or rayquaza thanks to the drag immunity and good bulk

MAY DRAGONS REST IN PEACE

Turn 1

Xerneas use Geomancy!
Xerneas' Power Herb activated!
Xerneas' Sp. Atk sharply rose!
Xerneas' Sp. Def sharply rose!
Xerneas' Speed sharply rose!

The opponent use something besides phazing!

gg?

Xerneas's bulk isn't amazing by uber standards, but it is pretty good. You need some investment that would much rather go into attacking.
With Xerneas looking at 95-110 speed though... that's not even funny with PH Geomancy.

How screwed is Giratina-A this generation? Dragon Tail is even less viable than before, and running RestTalk/roar/WoW is slightly nerfed due to the (not 100% confirmed) SR nerf. It won't be as easy to pair it with a Steel type since Steel no longer resists Dark and Ghost. On top of that, all the legends introduced this gen have super effective STAB against it.

I can't wait to see Yvetal's full movepool, it looks like it will get some pretty interesting support moves that you don't often see on cover legends. A set with Sub/Disable/Oblivion Wing/filler would allow it to function like a slower, bulkier Gengar with an HP restoring move.
Honestly I never even touched Giratina-A in Gen 5. I always felt that Lugia was a better tank, and Giratina-O actually did some real damage as opposed to gimmicky stuff like Giratina-A.

I'm more worried about the Mewtwo megas than Xerneas to be honest.

Mega Mewtwo X (Psychic/Fighting)
Base 106/194/90/150/90/130
Steadfast

Mega Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)
Base 68/75/65/175/135/100
Pixilate

Wow.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
oh my god i know that i've hated XY in the beginning of the leaks but i'm so hyped for it right now. klefki / xerneas and yveltal even though xerneas owned it are the ones im looking for the most. xerneas is going to be the new ho-oh or rayquaza thanks to the drag immunity and good bulk

MAY DRAGONS REST IN PEACE
Here's hoping Yveltal gets a cool Level 100 super move or some nice TMs... :[

Man I was expecting Xerneas to be a wall, not a supposedly world ending murder machine.

Mega Mewtwo X (Psychic/Fighting)
Base 106/194/90/150/90/130
Steadfast

Mega Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)
Base 68/75/65/175/135/100
Pixilate

Wow.
YEP.

GOD DAMMIT MEWTWO.

He's gonna be such a massive threat, not only because of the megas' massive offenses and speed, but because you can't predict what form he's gonna take and plan around that. Screw it, I'll take my boy Noivern into ubers and Frisk that shit.

YEP.

GOD DAMMIT MEWTWO.

He's gonna be such a massive threat, not only because of the megas' massive offenses and speed, but because you can't predict what form he's gonna take and plan around that. Screw it, I'll take my boy Noivern into ubers and Frisk that shit.
As of right now, there is little reason, but big opportunity cost in using MMY. MMX on the other hand..... Damn, that Attack stat is scary.

Mega Mewtwo X will certainly have its uses over Normal Mewtwo.

Resistance to Rock (SR), neutrality to Dark and Bug shouldn't be overlooked. Maybe a Bulky set of sorts could work if they decide not to give it better Fighting STAB.

As of right now, there is little reason, but big opportunity cost in using MMY. MMX on the other hand..... Damn, that Attack stat is scary.
Like I said before unless Mewtwo gets some new STAB physical moves I doubt Mega Mewtwo X will be used much...
If MMX runs Psycho Cut, Earthquake, Return, and Stone Edge, STAB or no STAB, something is GOING to die. MMY is gonna wreck some shit regardless though. You also can't overlook MMX's overall bulk as well.

I think they'll be used fairly evenly, with regular Mewtwo seeing almost no use and being every team's go-to mega.

Unless of course, another Uber mega is released.

Can anybody estimate base stats from this? This pic is pretty useless otherwise.

Geomancy is really unexpected, and I'm not sure how/if it'll be used. Two Quiver Dance Boosts are nice but the charge turn sucks and it forces you to run Power Herb if you want to negate it.
I could do it easily enough if I knew the level and nature of the Xerneas in question. It's really not much help without those things

I could do it easily enough if I knew the level and nature of the Xerneas in question. It's really not much help without those things
Try 50. Im pretty sure the guy who posted that also posted this.
image.jpg

Avoiding multiposting:
I can work with that, but do we know his nature?
I dont think there are any pictures of his nature yet. It looks like they have similar offensives and Speeds, but Xerneas trades some HP for Defense and SpDefense.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)