XY Metagame Speculation [SPOILERS ITT]

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarfgene gets outsped and back with the +2 speed and prob cant take a +2 Thunder. Arceus poison and steel may have to be careful of the potential Earth Power.
Fml i completely forgot about the Speed boost so don't mind me. Focus Blast / Earth Power is going to anihilate those two so yeah, nothing can save us from Xerneas.

Lol so let me get this straight, Xerneas is basically going to become the RBY Mewtwo of gen 6 (minus the increase speed of course).

The more things change, the more that stay the same.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kind of hoping the Pink Blobs become part Fairy now so they can survive 2 +2 Focus Blasts...

But yeah....what's gonna stop this thing? +2 Thunder kills even Ho-Oh, and I don't think anything will live long enough to try and phaze it out aside from Lugia with Multiscale intact. The only things I can really think of are Pink Blobs (sort of), SpD Jirachi and other bulky Steels like Metagross and Bronzong. If Xerneas gets Earth Power then we're not in for a good time, friends.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kind of hoping the Pink Blobs become part Fairy now so they can survive 2 +2 Focus Blasts...

But yeah....what's gonna stop this thing? +2 Thunder kills even Ho-Oh, and I don't think anything will live long enough to try and phaze it out aside from Lugia with Multiscale intact. The only things I can really think of are Pink Blobs (sort of), SpD Jirachi and other bulky Steels like Metagross and Bronzong. If Xerneas gets Earth Power then we're not in for a good time, friends.
Seems that we really need that Poison / Rock legandary with Levitate that i was talking about on irc (which would fuck up Ho-oh too).

Seriosuly though, maybe Mega Lucario will kinda help mitigate the threat that seems to be Xerneas? As long as you don't let it setup for free, it should die from SR + weak hit + Bullet Punch. Lemme check:

- 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice (130 HP / 95 Def): 220-260 (54.86 - 64.83%)

Oh and Xerneas most likely will use HP EVs too, as it doesn't need all of its Speed. Fuck it guys, we are screwed...

Fml i completely forgot about the Speed boost so don't mind me. Focus Blast / Earth Power is going to anihilate those two so yeah, nothing can save us from Xerneas.
I think it's going to be a really excellent cleaner, but it will be like Extremekiller in that the metagame will adjust so you can't just bring it in after something dies, use your set-up move and sweep. Compared to Arceus, it:

+doesn't have to worry as much about Scarfers that resist its STAB revenging it, especially on the Special side
+is probably slightly more powerful off the bat and at +2 (I say probably due to the increased special bulk most Ubers have and not knowing the boost Fairy Aura gives)
+much better STAB (Poison/Fire resists rather than Rock resist and Ghost immunity)

? the two coverage moves could be better/worse depending on its actual movepool. having to depend on Focus Blast to hit Dialga or Thunder for Ho-oh (less likely to have Rain up thanks to the weather nerf) could make you a sad panda. It's less powerful than Dialga passed a Shell Smash, and there were still random things that could survive its attacks and phaze/KO/bring into priority range.

-is likely more dependent on its item. If you phaze it while/after it sets up, it probably can't boost for the rest of the match. You don't have to worry about it shrugging off your status move with Lum or KOing with a move boosted by Expert Belt/Life Orb/etc
-less speed off the bat/no priority.

I do think Xerneas will want to use most of its Speed EVs, especially if it's closer to 90-95 Speed than 101. I can envision a scenario where Xerneas wants to outspeed something like Kyogre because taking a hit at +2 Special Defense rather than +0 will allow it to survive subsequent priority attacks. Also, I think stuff like Ho-oh and Sp. Def Kyogre will survive a boosted hit since Thunder's BP is now 110.

Last edited:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So despite what MM2 kept hyping about megablaze, the BT now gives a one use item for 200bp that switches a mon's ability with their DW ability and vice versa. So we're not forced to waste our one precious megastone on megablaze. How will this affect the metagame?

So despite what MM2 kept hyping about megablaze, the BT now gives a one use item for 200bp that switches a mon's ability with their DW ability and vice versa. So we're not forced to waste our one precious megastone on megablaze. How will this affect the metagame?
Aside of Baton Pass Blaziken able to run an actual item(Leftovers, Focus Sash) and Stag Chandelure i guess this is going to affect much more the OU metagame, whit strong stuff like Heal Bell Multiscale Dragonite or Sheer Force Dragon Dance Feraligatr.

On one hand, I'm really glad Serperior can now use Contrary. On the other hand, we really didn't need Shadow Tag Chandelure. Lightningrod+Baton Pass Zapdos will also be interesting as will the 3 legendary beasts' Abilities. Think that's all the good ones we don't already have.

Switching to DW abilities is not confirmed. It switches between primary and secondary standard abilities.

However, Friend Park is confirmed to contain pokemon not normally found through gameplay, and they often have their DW abilities. Someone is confirmed to have found Wartortle which means that DW Starters are quite possible.

Switching to DW abilities is not confirmed. It switches between primary and secondary standard abilities.

However, Friend Park is confirmed to contain pokemon not normally found through gameplay, and they often have their DW abilities. Someone is confirmed to have found Wartortle which means that DW Starters are quite possible.
Ah. In that case, it's still useful for all those Effect Spore Brelooms and such. Still hoping for either DW Serperior or Contrary Mega Serperior.

I see potential for a Xerneas set something like this:

Destroyerofworlds @ lefties
- sub
- t-wave
- geomancy
- moon blast

Modest max sp atk, enough speed to get past scarf base 100's at +2, rest in hp. The idea would be to cripple its counters with TW and use quiver dance 2.0 behind the safety of a sub. Could work to negate the need for power herb but phazers & fairy resists would need to be eliminated or weakened. It could potentially work as a pretty potent last 'mon as well. The TW crippling could also be left to teammates to open up a slot for a coverage move (please get Earth Power, pleeeeease!!).

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I see potential for a Xerneas set something like this:

Destroyerofworlds @ lefties
- sub
- t-wave
- geomancy
- moon blast

Modest max sp atk, enough speed to get past scarf base 100's at +2, rest in hp. The idea would be to cripple its counters with TW and use quiver dance 2.0 behind the safety of a sub. Could work to negate the need for power herb but phazers & fairy resists would need to be eliminated or weakened. It could potentially work as a pretty potent last 'mon as well. The TW crippling could also be left to teammates to open up a slot for a coverage move (please get Earth Power, pleeeeease!!).
Ironic how that set is somewhat stopped by zygarde.

Arceus-Fairy is bulkier and faster, we know it has recover and a ton of support moves to use+drag immune and u-turn resist. Xerneas looks like a really big threat with Geomancy, but Arceus-Fairy will be a really good support mon/calm mind sweeper by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on how much utility Arceus-fairy would have over xerneas? Of course there's calm mind, judgement, and 2 non-fairy fillers. But I guess it depends on Xerneas' move set as to who's the bigger threat.
Recover would probably be the biggest possible edge, although I wouldn't be too surprised if Xerneas got Moonlight. Roar is probably something that everything and its mother will want to have this generation as well.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Are you positive it's affect is switching between normal abilities? There's a big difference between not confirming something and then saying it's something else.

Anyway Xerneas Vs. Fairy Arceus is going to be really interesting, it really depends on Xerneas' movepool. We already know that Xerneas has a more offensive edge with Geomancy and Fairy Aura.

I still think Fairyceus is going to be mostly support variants. The reason why Xerneas can go offensive is cause it has geomancy for quick offenses.

Geomancy alone makes Xerneas better than Fairy Arceus from a pure offensive standpoint. That, and Xerneas actually has slightly higher offenses not limited to Fairy moves.

Are you positive it's affect is switching between normal abilities? There's a big difference between not confirming something and then saying it's something else.

Anyway Xerneas Vs. Fairy Arceus is going to be really interesting, it really depends on Xerneas' movepool. We already know that Xerneas has a more offensive edge with Geomancy and Fairy Aura.
We know for sure that it switches between the 2 standard abilities, but we don't know if it only does that. Basically what I'm saying is that we don't know anything about DW involvement.

And...yeah Fairy Arceus will be better for support. With weaknesses to only Steel and Poison (two types that are EASILY covered by, say, Dialga), it's support capabilities seem incredible. Xernaes has both higher offensive stats and Geomancy for sweeping.

We know for sure that it switches between the 2 standard abilities, but we don't know if it only does that. Basically what I'm saying is that we don't know anything about DW involvement.

And...yeah Fairy Arceus will be better for support. With weaknesses to only Steel and Poison (two types that are EASILY covered by, say, Dialga), it's support capabilities seem incredible. Xernaes has both higher offensive stats and Geomancy for sweeping.
I just hope that Yveltal will receive enough going for it to be a threat. Really made one legendary superior to the other this time didn't they...

I doubt it. Xerneas is going to be really hit or miss. If enough solid checks show up for it it won't be that useful unless it gets a cooler movepool. Yveltal, on the other hand, looks like something that's already cleaned carved it's niche, all that rests is to determine how important that niche is.

Aside from the counters already mentioned, Focus Sash Scizor could potentially set up an SD while Xerneas sets up a Geomancy or tries Earth Power.
A +2 Technician Bullet Punch is not something Xerneas would enjoy.

I get the feeling that the iron butterflies (Genesect and Scizor) will see a lot of use this generation, as they do their jobs even better now because they counter (to an extent) Mega Mewtwo Y and the aforementioned Xerneas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)