STAB STABmons

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Hey guys, I'm trying to get back into this meta for post home and I would like some help updating this pre home team. I'd like to keep it in the hazard stack vein if possible.

https://pokepast.es/b6dedcb8478350bb
I will get the obvious points out of the way first, Azumarill is banned, and there's a lack of Knock Off to get rid of opposing Heavy Duty Boots.

Suggestions:
  1. Change Stone Axe on Tyranitar to Knock Off. Alternative is running Ting-Lu with Knock Off / Ceaseless Edge / Parting Shot / Shore Up. Consider Covert Cloak for either option so Mortal Spinners can't status you.
  2. Keep running Great Tusk, or run Landorus-Thrian for momentum and strong stabs, ideally scarf.
  3. Switch Azumarill for Bulky Offensive Pivot Rotom-Wash otherwise Landorus-T bodies you.
    Rotom-Wash @ Covert Cloak Ability: Levitate
    Tera Type: Steel / Poison
    EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpA / 44 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Volt Switch
    - Steam Eruption
    - Freeze-Dry / Torch Song
    - Roost
  4. Switch Gholdengo to Defensive set with Covert Cloak or Air Balloon.
  5. Get rid of Toxic Spikes they are useless on Clodsire, Toxapex is far to common for them to be useful. Run Stealth Rocks on Clodsire instead.
  6. Try a Fire type like Moltres or Skeledirge for final slot, makes matchup versus strong grasses better.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Just a bit of an update on Council goings, first off, pannu stepped down from council and we got RoFnA to take over their position. Sad to see you go Pannu and good luck in whatever you endeavor to, and welcome aboard Rofna.

Second, I want to highlight the main things we are watching in regards to the overall balance of the tier. (In no particular order)

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is a great offensive pokemon that gains a vast array of offensive tools in STABmons from Jet Punch to Triple Arrows and Thunderous Kick. Some in the council find it potentially broken and have discussed potential actions on it. My personal thoughts however, lean more towards it being fine, the prevalence of Toxapex and other bulky poisons with resistances or immunities to one or both stabs really hurts it's abilities (Referring to Water Absorb Clodsire).

Lillilgant-Hisui gains an immensely useful thing in STABmons in the move Flower Trick which cricumvents it's biggest weakness, Hustle's accuracy drop, this on top of it's 100% crit rate results in Lilligant being an immense threat even before accounting for Victory Dance. There has been much discussion regarding it amongst both the Council and Tour players during OMPL and one can't doubt it has the potential to sweep teams given the popularity of grass neutral and grass supereffective Pokemons. This being said there is counterplay to Lilligant, from Moltres, to Corviknight, to offensive pressure and more, it isn't a clear cut scenario and there are pokemon that fulfill similar roles to it namely Rillaboom whom has stronger Grass Stab power and the ability to use Grassy Glide and not having lower accuracy coverage.

This is my personal pick for something that is potentially broken, it enables HO to an extreme extent letting stuff like Walking Wake, Iron Valiant, Iron Moth, and more gain near scarf levels of speed or power on switchin. As said, this is great on HO and as a lategame cleaner, and works especially well with Iron Moth due to it's access to Torch Song meaning it sets-up and does damage in one move, rapidly snowballing out of control, though this does require modifying the EV's of Iron Moth to work.

Obviously, Tera is on the watchlist and as mentioned several times prior it will probably be suspect'd once OMPL concludes but since I've gone over it severeal times I will just keep it to this mention. We may be holding a survey soon, so stay tuned.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
OM Leader
My Personal Tentative VR list (subject to change)

Since someone was curious I just quickly composed a mini-VR of my own making, this is my own personal opinion and not reflective of the whole of the council.
If you notice things missing please ask, I can give a tentative rank, though I think I covered most of the relevant pokemon and a few niche ones as well.

S Rank:

S

:Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian
:toxapex: Toxapex

A Rank:

A+

:Lilligant-Hisui: Lilligant-Hisui
:great tusk: Great Tusk
:iron valiant: Iron Valiant
:kingambit: Kingambit
:ting-lu: Ting-Lu
:iron moth: Iron Moth
:Walking Wake: Walking Wake

A
:tyranitar:
Tyranitar
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: Urshifu-Rapid-Strike
:roaring moon: Roaring Moon
:Volcanion: Volcanion
:volcarona: Volcarona
:Meloetta: Meloetta
:Rillaboom: Rillaboom
:Gholdengo: Gholdengo

A-
:annihilape: Annihilape
:garganacl:
Garganacl
:Greninja: Greninja
:gyarados: Gyarados
:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash
:clodsire: Clodsire
:corviknight: Corviknight
:Slowbro-Galar: Slowbro-Galar

B Rank:

B+

:Heatran: Heatran
:Zapdos: Zapdos
:Thundurus-Therian: Thundurous-Therian
:Slowking-Galar: Slowking-Galar
:Sylveon: Sylveon
:Moltres: Moltres
:Sneasler: Sneasler
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:hoopa-unbound: hoopa-unbound
:Meowscarada: Meowscarada
:Scizor: Scizor
:Talonflame: Talonflame
:Zapdos-Galar: Zapdos-Galar
:Palafin: Palafin
B
:Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus-Therian
:Rotom-Mow: Rotom-Mow
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat
:Kleavor: Kleavor
:Houndstone: Houndstone

B-
:Iron Treads: Iron Treads
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu
:Overqwil: Overqwil

Funny Mon I won't rank for now...

Basculin-White-Striped @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Last Respects
- Surging Strikes
- Jet Punch
- Flip Turn

That is all, I excluded a lot of random stuff for the sake of brevity but included some of the new niche stuff.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
OM Leader
It is time, the survey had a total of 44 different respondents and we've gotten a good idea of what many consider bad elements within STABmons and to top this off we voted on some of these elements despite OMPL having yet to conclude, more on that later, first the poll.

The Survey

On a scale from 1 to 10, how do you feel about the current state of the STABmons metagame?

As can be seen, overall the people that voted are decently happy with the state of the metagame.

Do you feel that Terastallization is healthy in the current metagame?

To the surprise of probably many, but expected by anyone that's been paying attention to recent Tera Suspects, the general opinion regarding this generations mechanic is thoroughly divided. One thing can be said, given the the number of No's and No Strong Feelings, Tera would barely meet the threshold for a ban if, and only if, all those on the fence voted ban.

Would you support tiering action on Terastallization (suspect)?

As can be seen, there was less division on this question which will be further discussed later in this post (hint: Tera suspect incoming soon(tm))

How do you feel about Booster Energy in the current metagame?

A fairly thorough perspective gleaned through the survey is that the abusers are the potential problem and not Booster Energy. In the future we will be looking at the main abusers namely, Iron Valiant, and Iron Moth with Walking Wake already being held under scrutiny as will be explained shortly.

On a scale of 1 to 5, how broken do you feel like the following are in the metagame?

Lilligant-Hisui has been shown to be a force within the metagame, the combination of Hustle, Flower Trick, and Victory Dance has proven to be an extremely strong combo. This is further bolstered by it's access to Triple Arrows and a final flexible moveslot that could be Ice Spinner, Substitute, Tera Blast, or potentially other things that have yet to be explored. It hits like a truck and though not unwallable is very difficult to handle, and even things that normally could wall it can't due to Tera uno reversing many scenarios such as a Moltres caving to Tera Electric Tera Blast Lilligant-Hisui. Even ignoring Tera shenanigans, it could potentially hax through would be checks such as Corviknight simply by abusing Triple Arrows Flinch, Defense drop, and critical chance. This all being said it does have checks whether that be Skeledirge, or Moltres both of whom handle it well, a max defense Toxapex can stay in versus any unboosted variant of Lilligant-Hisui and status it or harass it with Clear Smog or Mortal Spin hurting it's longevity, then there are faster threats some of which are capable of outspeeding even +1 Lilligant-Hisui (such as Booster Energy Iron Valiant). Despite saying this all, it is undeniable that it is an immense threat and the survey proves this and as a result it has been voted on, which will be revealed later.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike similarly to Lilligant-Hisui is an immensely terrifying fighting type that gets access to Jet Punch and great fighting STABs such as Triple Arrows. Water, Fighting is a great dual STAB, and access to the powerful Jet Punch let's Urshifu bypass it's middling speed once set up with Swords Dance and Triple Arrows breaks many checks through it's various effects. This all being said, it is not without counterplay from Dondozo to Toxapex it can struggle to break through these without either a lot of luck (unless Dondozo is running Covert Cloak in which case switchout) or having setup enough to break Toxapex whom can Haze or Clear Smog and then Mortal Spin you to wear you down. Another downside of Urshifu is it's lackluster speed and while Jet Punch does help, it does not resolve this cumbersome downside entirely and can thus be pressured offensively by faster threats or be stymied through bulky Tera mons like Water Ting-Lu / Water Great Tusk. The survey shows that many find it fairly broken and as a result we voted on it.

Walking Wake was unbanned with Home as it had been previously Suspect Test banned a few months prior, and the addition of Booster Energy has made it an extraordinary threat capable of either breaking everything through a boost to Spa or outspeeding most things with a Speed boost. Even ignoring Booster Energy, Walking Wake is a great threat, it's dual stabs being practically unresisted and hitting hard as a result of gaining access to things like Dragon Energy, Water Spout, Steam Eruption, Water Shuriken, Dynamax Cannon, Spacial Rend and due to the aforementioned effectiveness of it's stabs does not get hurt much by carrying 2 of each stab in it's kit. It's primary "counter" is Tera Fairy Water Absorb Clodsire, however, though not common can be broken through in Sun teams with Flamethrower Walking Wake though this is less of a concern due to Sun's rarity and flaws. As for checks most teams run a combination of Tera Water Pokemon and Toxapex as a means of preventing Walking Wake from obliterating most teams. The survey shows there is a strong number of people that voted 3 or more and few if any that voted less then that, as a result it has been voted on.

Volcarona is scary, it can sweep teams after a single Quiver Dance at times, and this is only worsened due to the presence of Tera which has given rise to it's most potent set in a Sub Tera Grass Torch Song and Giga Drain Volcarona. Late in a game, this set alone is capable of turning over a opposing teams and tossing it to the wayside with common responses such as Jet Punch being stymied through Tera Grass, and defensive answers being abused through Substitute. Volcarona's gaining Torch Song, a superior variant of Fiery Dance further compounds it's sweeping potential as no longer does it need to press Quiver Dance more then once and can instead press it then continue to setup whilst maintaining an offensive presence. This being said, it is generally frail, slow before setting up a Quiver Dance, has a typing that practically mandates running Heavy Duty Boots, and has to work within a very offensive metagame with high power moves abound means that it isn't without it's flaws. The survey responses show that it is certainly strong but not outrageously so at this point, as a result it has not been voted on.

Landorus-Therian has surplanted Great Tusk as the premier ground type with it's great offensive dual stabs and high attack power compounded with the utility of healings and intimidate. Yet the survey shows that the pokemon is fine as a whole with an even division in votes.

Triple Arrows it is undeniably strong, having multiple effects each of which could carry a move alone but together create a chaotic, wall breaking, move that threatens everything even those carrying Covert Cloak. The votes show a strong leaning distaste towards it and its effect on the metagame, and will be watched closely in the future if it begins being the fundamental reason something is broken for as of yet all it's abusers were broken with or without it and could very well run other options if it were banned (thunderous kick/Combat Discipline/etc).

Dragon Ascent a strong stab option but according to the survey responses is perfectly fine as it stands.

Torch Song the superior variant of Fiery Dance has certainly made a splash in STABmons but as a whole it hasn't proven to be too strong to take action on.

Final Gambit is niche but some saw it as potentially broken and as such was included in the survey which found it fine as a whole.

Is there anything else you believe is unhealthy in the current metagame?

The responses we got from this were a mix of what we have surveyed them on and things such as Baxcalibur, Iron Valiant, Flower Trick, Kingambit, and Ceaseless Edge. Each pokemon being very strong and both moves being quite potent and we will keep an eye on each of them as per usual, pending the upcoming votes and their potential impact being unknown.

The Voting Slate

In The HillsFCGiaganticLBDCFissureRofnaYes/No/Abstain=
Result
Ban:
Walking Wake
YesYesYesYesYesYes6/0/0=
Ban
Ban:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike
NoNoNoNoNoYes1/5/0 =
Do Not Ban
Ban:
Lilligant-Hisui
YesYesNoYesYesYes5/1/0 =
Ban
Suspect:
Terastal
YesYesYesYesYesYes6/0/0 =
Suspect

As can be seen through this vote, Walking Wake and Lilligant-Hisui are banned from STABmons and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike will remain unbanned!

Furthermore, after the conclusion of OMPL, Terastal will be officially suspect tested so stay tuned for that in about a week or so!

Tagging Kris for implementation of bans!

Last edited:
been playing around with some more gimmicky teams and found smth that is very very fun (when it works); i.e. grassy glide breloom

holy shiitake (Breloom) @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch
- Triple Arrows

set up grassy terrain with rillaboom or even arboliva (who just loves boomburst) and rejoice in the pure fun of a 117 bp STAB priority move (when factoring in grassy terrain + technician). personally i prefer LO over band as it offers more flexibility, but it’s up to you :)

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
OM Leader
Post Tera Suspect Ban Slate!

The immediate future of STABmons has been decided narrowly (with the supposed changes to Tera coming I doubt it will stay for long) and as such we decided to have a massive tiering slate to make up it with 9 different things to vote on!

Moves
InTheHillsGiaganticRofNaLBDCFCResult
Ban: Surging StrikesNoNoYesNoNoDNB
Ban: Triple ArrowsYesYesYesYesNoBAN
Ban: Torch SongYesNoNoYesNoDNB

Pokemon
Ban: BarraskedaYesNoYesNoYesDNB
Ban: PalafinNoNoNoYesNoDNB
Ban: KingambitAbstainYesNoNoNoDNB
Ban: VolcanionNoNoNoYesNoDNB
Ban: VolcaronaNoNoNoYesYesDNB

Item
Ban: Damp RockYesYesYesYesNoBAN

As a result, Damp Rock and Triple Arrows have been banned from STABmons.

Triple Arrows:
Is an insane move, and unprecedented in nature due to having 3 separate effects, flinch, defense drop, and higher crit rate on top of a good 90 base power. If we were still pre-gen 9 then this move would undoubtedly been banned by now but the presence of the new item Covert Cloak helped assuage it's presence to an extent, however, even this item that has helped keep other powerful moves in control does not work versus the higher crit rate of Triple Arrows. This point definitely made a move that was already extremely borderline even with Covert Cloak just too much as crit fishing was a feasible option for pokemon that ran Triple Arrows such as Iron Valiant whom was already borderline broken as is. Though many of it's strongest abusers have been banned it's presence in the tier has often been deemed unhealthy and as such it has been banned.

Damp Rock: The potency of Rain and it's constraining nature on teambuilding has lead to various different options being voted on that pertain to this archetype but the one everyone seemed to agree with was trying to dial down the potency without immediately going ham on a move and bunch of pokemon. The result, Damp Rock has been banned in the hopes that this help tone down this glaring teambuilding problem. It will still remain very much on our watchlist though, as Surging Strikes or the two primary abusers remain on thin ice.

In general, when tiering for STABmons, move bans and restrictions are a final resort unless the move itself is so fundamentally broken that banning/restricting it is a necessity (see Last Respects Restriction or Victory Dance's Restriction). In this situation we are treading carefully in regards to Surging Strikes and Torch Song, I personally speaking as myself would prefer banning either Barraskewda or Palafin over banning the move itself as a final resort as Wave Crash is more immediately powerful and has a high damage ceiling (if it crits) so in theory banning it would do little to stop Barraskewda and Palafin / Urshifu aside from hurting their longevity a bit. Similarly, Torch Song users would just return to using the more inconsistent but still potent Fiery Dance, so as such we want to remain in general cautious about banning moves when so many have already been removed for this is, after all, a metagame centered around move accessibility.

Tagging Kris for implementation (Thanks for your help)!

Last edited:
Out of STAB Open so time to do a team dump. I don't guarantee these are all good but I can assure you these are pretty weird and fun if you want to try something new. You can maybe refine stuffs here as well, though a brand new meta is about to come soon. I won't make a VR nom with only 2 weeks left for this meta so I guess I will post in Underrated sets one instead.
:Indeedee::Lokix::Gholdengo::Basculin-White-Striped::Annihilape::Great Tusk:
I wanted to build around Basculin-White cause Last Respects is a funny move. The team idea is that Scarf Basculin is still really not that fast, and with rain still being a thing at the time this was built I needed to make sure Basculin has the Speed to clean. Gholdengo and Lokix were thus chosen to set Web and keep it there. A touch of Gambit/Explosion to speed up the process, with Annihilape also capable of spinblocking Tusk more efficiently than Ghold. Indeedee also prevents priority, while Rock from Tusk prevents Sash and helps with some more chip. Conclusion: Don't use Basculin-White
252 Atk Tera Ghost Basculin Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ting-Lu: 192-228 (37.3 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Tera Ghost Basculin Last Respects vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 220-259 (64.5 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Pincurchin::Raichu-Alola::Sneasler::Iron Hands::Iron Leaves::Vaporeon:
Electric Terrain was and still is unexplored, and DLC does give it some nifty tools, so I wanted to cram both of them into the team to see what happened. The biggest downside is obviously having to use Pincurchin, but opposing Rillaboom is annoying as well. Raichu-A is pretty great, however even at +2 it struggles to OHKO Ting-Lu, though Tusk and Lando-T fall prey. It also gets Rising Voltage which is nice. Sneasler works about the same as it does in Grassy Terrain, however no Grassy Terrain to weaken Earthquake and inability to run Dire Claw to great effect due to Electric Terrain blocking sleep means it's forced into Close Combat. Iron Hands is pretty good on its own already so a pretty natural pick. Iron Leaves provides a Ground resist while also breaking more passive walls, with Tera Steel potentially ending the game against people trying to use Pex for pivot. Vaporeon provides some mixed wall capabilities while also having Court Change to turn the tide against hazards. Trying new toys as I did, I must say Iron Valiant is still a better fit into Electric Terrain, especially mixed variant with dual STAB + TBolt + Knock, with Knock + Tbolt KOing standard Toxapex in Electric Terrain.
:Indeedee::Toxapex::Sneasler::Zarude::Armarouge::Zapdos:
And this one is for Psychic Terrain. After scouring Psychic mons pool ironically vanilla Armarouge is still the best choice. Toxapex does what everyone knows at this point, but with Eject Button for a one time quick pivot. Sneasler does exactly what the above did but with Night Slash and Tera Dark for Gholdengo. I guess Tera Blast with Tera Psychic can be an option as well for Toxapex if Gholdengo is not a concern. Zapdos deals with Lando-T and can cripple physical attackers in general. Indeedee with Encore can be surprisingly effective especially against physdef Ting-Lu trying to recover, paired with Teleport as well to gain control. As silly as it looks, Psychic Seed Zarude can be game ending and pretty customizable with some moves as well. Great mixed bulk + Bulk Up and potential Tera can just end the game if left unchecked, as it did in the game I used it.
:Breloom::Rillaboom::Drifblim::Magnezone::Clodsire::Rotom-Wash:
By now you have already figured out I like themed teams using some weird stuff. I changed Slowbro to Washtom to better deal with Lando-T since turns out Tera Flying Dragon Ascent 2HKOs Slowbro unless in Grassy Terrain but then it still gets OHKOed by +2. Magnezone traps Corviknight, Clodsire with the general defensive role and a rain answer since turns out rain can still somehow beat the 2 Grass. Drifblim ended up pretty meh and costly tbh, it has a big 4mss, wanting CM, dual STAB, Tera Blast, Sub and Strength Sap all at once. Even then it still has to choose Tera, so I'd recommend changing it to something else.
:Ting-Lu::Toxapex::Zapdos::Sylveon::Scizor::Clodsire:
The good thing about Stall is nobody is prepared for it. This team doesn't use any novel idea, but stall itself is pretty non-existent.
:Grimmsnarl::Overqwil::Volcanion::Kingambit::Salamence::Espathra:
HO but I wanted to try some new mons. Remember Drapion? This is him now. Intimidate was probably better considering I already have Volcanion and Salamence for rain but getting to use rain against them is funny. Now without Damp Rock definitely use Intimidate. Espathra was also pretty much nowhere to be seen so I added it in as well.
:Cetitan::Beartic::Slowking::Baxcalibur::Heatran::Zapdos:
What if I run almost the same set on 3 different Pokemon but with some differences to go around specific answers? That's how it goes with Snow, if it's even viable. Cetitan is viable if you can get the chance to set up unless you face Dondozo or Skeledirge, though they aren't exactly common. LO Beartic cleanly 2HKOs Skeledirge with EQ + Glacial Lance if it Teras after switching in. Baxcalibur opts for Glaive Rush instead to handle Washtom. Since Abomasnow sucks I just gotta stick with mono Chilly Reception Slowking as setter, though I guess maybe something like Chilly Avalugg can be an option as well. Heatran and Zapdos are for general utility walls, not much to say.
:Slowbro::Hoopa-Unbound::Kingambit::Ursaring::Diancie::Farigiraf:
I was thinking, could Trick Room be viable with Trick Room + Teleport in the equation. It kinda is? Not the most viable, but certainly still good enough to win. The one biggest downside is again no Porygon2, so being weak to some Ghost + Dark is almost unavoidable, but I think this build shores that up pretty well. Farigiraf can either be Sap Sipper to better deal with Rillaboom or Armor Tail to guarantee setup against Choice mons using priority to revenge TR abusers. Also Court Change cause you should expect opponent to try getting hazards while you set TR. Diancie has a unique typing for a setter and also better utility with Stone Axe and Misty Explosion (rip to Explosion). Kingambit is Kingambit, but finding other offensive mons was tough. Without Ursaluna, I guess Ursaring is a compromise. Room Service Hoopa-U was something I faced while playing DOU, figured it was worth a shot here (It missed Focus Blast on Kingambit and died instead). Farigiraf can run a more offensive spread now with Rain nerfed.
:Ditto::Clodsire::Skeledirge::Toxapex::Zapdos::Slowking-Galar:
Another flavor of stall team, extra note is not many people prep for Ditto so being used to setup for wallbreaking can just prevent teams from breaking this altogether without being counterswept. That said, a surprise Tera means Ditto can't just mindlessly revenge kill so it needs to be used with caution.
:Salazzle::Oinkologne::Rillaboom::Gholdengo::Ting-Lu::Toxapex:
The shitmons flavor is obviously Salazzle and Oinkologne. So what on earth does Oinkologne even have? The one and only Lingering Aroma to deny Pex Regenerator recovery. Incidentally, that allows Salazzle to wear it down much faster. Salazzle uses the satanic Toxic SubTect set, except with STAB, Baneful Bunker is a neat upgrade to deny stuffs like Knock Off, Ceaseless Edge or Headlong Rush/Dragon Ascent from Scarf Lando-T. Magma Storm is neat to further stacking passive damage, though Torch Song probably can be considered, Fire Spin is probably too weak and removes ability to revenge kill, since Salazzle is very fast and can outspeed Iron Valiant among others. Rilla also supports it with Grassy Terrain. Gholdengo provides speed control and also some defensive utility.
:Jolteon::Landorus-Therian::Toxapex::Lokix::Magnezone::Vaporeon:
The idea I fancied was some kind of VoltTurn offense, and this actually turned out to be much better than I thought. Literally all mons on the team can pivot, and the pressure it can exert is immense. Vaporeon goes with Boomburst here to make sure it can punish Pex for staying in properly. AV from Magnezone can let it take a hit from Heatran in a pinch. Jolteon pressures common Lokix's switch-ins like Toxapex and Great Tusk with the newly found Ice-coverage in Judgment, while Lokix threatens many special walls in return. Judgment Jolteon is strong enough 2HKO Physdef Clodsire, but still needs Tera to 2HKO Ting-Lu, and Ting-Lu is usually Tera Water so you beat it anyway if it Teras, or if not then it's just Volt Switch food. Lokix has some pretty terrific damage output, basically OHKOing most offensive mons with Tera First Impression. HO in theory can't get vortexed by these kinds of VoltTurn teams while preventing Lokix from revenge killing but Court Change means you can just get all those screens instead.
:Tatsugiri::Scizor::Toxapex::Ting-Lu::Corviknight::Great Tusk:
Do I use Tatsugiri just to cope with Walking Wake banned? No, I planned to use it even with Walking Wake in the meta. What it has over Wake is Storm Drain, which combined with Tera Steel just blocking Pex from doing anything to midground it. It can also run Tera Blast last slot to deal with Tera Fairy Water immune mons, though that was kinda a relic of old meta to deal with Walking Wake, but still nice to have to not get hardwalled. I figured Tatsugiri alone would suffice to wallbreak so the rest were just defensive mons supporting it to the fullest, including Sticky Web cause Tatsugiri is pretty slow.
:Pelipper::Barraskewda::Floatzel::Clodsire::Ting-Lu::Chansey:
This rain team is bad and rain is less viable now, don't even try to fix this.
:Ting-Lu::Slowbro::Delphox::Rotom-Wash::Ditto::Talonflame:
What if I use defensive mons, but as offensive mons. Fun fact: If Pex is at full health, it ALWAYS stays in against Ting-Lu even if Pex is SpDef cause 1. Nobody runs offensive Ting-Lu, 2. Defensive Ting-Lu might not even run a Ground move. Band + Precipice Blades just OHKO even full Def Pex. When it fails, it can just Switcheroo the Band instead, which will often catch opposing Ground. Slowbro can cripple Pex with Trick or just eliminate it with Lumina Crash. I considered between Flip Turn and Water Shuriken on Slowbro but it probably needs more testing to know which is better. Delphox has a pretty cool typing, I originally wanted to use some Magician jank but getting Choice items back after Tricking is detrimental. Talonflame was added for Rilla and somewhat for Iron Valiant as well while being able to clear hazards. Rotom-Wash probably doesn't need Defog, maybe Scald is better? Hard to say.
:Magnezone::Volcanion::Toxapex::Zapdos::Skeledirge::Iron Hands:
:Heatran::Palafin::Slowbro::Corviknight::Ting-Lu::Hydreigon:
Grouping these 2 together, these were basically created to cteam QT but then QT brought out a different team from the replays so it didn't work + I played terribly due to sleep deprivation.

Short meta thoughts: I really like how STAB meta is right now. There's some wide variety of mons and playstyles you can choose, though still primarily Bulky Offense. The most defining trait is bulky Ground, with almost all teams having Ting-Lu/ Lando-T/ Great Tusk. Besides that I don't think there's anything that's egregiously broken, so it's great that the meta will end with a high note.
The Damp Rock was what I advocated for so I'm happy it went through. Triple Arrows on the other hand feels kind of weird to me cause I never really saw it used much. Its problem is while it has powerful effects, it can only be used well on setup mons with decent bulk, which is pretty much mostly Urshifu-RS. Frail mons like Sneasler prefer CC to ensure the KOs, while defensive mons like Tusk with Triple Arrows don't necessarily have the power, and I'd say Thunderous Kick is better for them.

First off, with the return of Kommo-o, comes the return of Clanging Scales and Clangourus Soul, second, does a STAAABMONS Thread exist yet, and if so, con someone please link it?
So We Could Have…

Wake of Death (Walking Wake) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Origin Pulse
- Flamethrower
Yeah.
We don’t need this cancer floating around.

However, Aura wheel will be back

I am the storm (Luxray) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Electric
Jolly Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Play Rough

Somebody please respond
Edit: Lux still sucks

Last edited:
First off, with the return of Kommo-o, comes the return of Clanging Scales and Clangourus Soul, second, does a STAAABMONS Thread exist yet, and if so, con someone please link it?
So We Could Have…

Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Origin Pulse
- Flamethrower
Yeah.

Jolly Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Play Rough

Somebody please respond
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-mashup-megathread.3711916/#post-9422885 You can find all OMMs in this thread.

So We Could Have…

Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Origin Pulse
- Flamethrower
Yeah.

Jolly Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Play Rough

Somebody please respond
Aura Wheel fails if used by any Pokemon not Morpeko (or transformed into Morpeko)

So, new moves:

[hide=New moves]
Blood Moon

Power: 140
Accuracy: 100
PP: 5
Category: Special
Type: Normal
Effect: The user unleashes the full brunt of its spirit from a full moon that shines as red as blood. This move can't be used twice in a row.

Basically, special Normal Gigaton Hammer.

Matcha Gotcha
Power: 80
Accuracy: 90
PP: 15
Type: Grass
Effect: The user fires a blast of tea that it mixed. The user's HP is restored by up to half the damage taken by the target. This may also leave the target with a burn.

Stronger less accurate Giga Drain with a burn chance

Syrup Bomb
Power: 60
Accuracy: 85
PP: 10
Effect: The user sets off an explosion of sticky candy syrup, which coats the target and causes the target's Speed stat to drop each turn for three turns.

Ivy Cudgel
Power: 100
Category: Physical
Effect: The user strikes with an ivy-wrapped cudgel. This move's type changes depending on the mask worn by the user, and it has a heightened chance of landing a critical hit.[/hide]

Grass types ate good this DLC, but Blood Moon is just worse Boomburst

So, new moves:

[hide=New moves]
Blood Moon

Power: 140
PP: 5
Type: Normal
Effect: The user unleashes the full brunt of its spirit from a full moon that shines as red as blood. This move can't be used twice in a row.

Basically, special Normal Gigaton Hammer.

Matcha Gotcha
Power: 80
Accuracy: 90
PP: 15
Effect: The user fires a blast of tea that it mixed. The user's HP is restored by up to half the damage taken by the target. This may also leave the target with a burn.

Stronger less accurate Giga Drain with a burn chance

Syrup Bomb
Power: 60
Accuracy: 85
Effect: The user sets off an explosion of sticky candy syrup, which coats the target and causes the target's Speed stat to drop each turn for three turns.

Ivy Cudgel
Power: 100
Category: Physical
Effect: The user strikes with an ivy-wrapped cudgel. This move's type changes depending on the mask worn by the user, and it has a heightened chance of landing a critical hit.[/hide]

Grass types ate good this DLC, but Blood Moon is just worse Boomburst
matcha gotcha is the most interesting imo. scald giga drain combo? count me in. unfortunately spatking grass types suck. your best choices are wo-chien, scovillain, and appletun. tun might see some usage as a wall using the move, but idk. syrup bomb would be useful in a doubles format, and ivy cudgel could be good on stuff like rillaboom or h-lilligant

I’ve been cooking and it might be garbage but boy is it tasty

eclair (Roaring Moon) @ Sitrus Berry
Tera Type: Steel
Jolly Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Power Trip
- Dragon Darts
- Iron Head

yum yum yum power trip is delicious. tera poison is better defensively but steel adds STAB on iron head.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
OM Leader
So, the DLC's have been out for a few days now and several problems have inevitably cropped up and thus we voted on one of them whilst I will explain the other things we are watching very closely.

InTheHillsGiaganticFCLBDCRoFnAResult
Clangorous SoulRestrictRestrictWill Add LaterRestrictRestrict4/0/0 = Restrict

As a result, Clangorous Soul has been restricted to native users only (aka only Kommo-o)!

This move is insanely good as are all omniboosters, the HP cost is minimal and it's users only really need a single boost to sweep teams. It's users Roaring Moon and Salamence, and they all benefited from the increase bulk granted by +1 to all stats and in the case of Salamence was fully capable of going mixed with it, sets seen included the following (not limited to these).

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy / Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark / Ground / Dragon
Jolly Nature
- Power Trip
- Dragon Darts / Earthquake
- Roost
- Clangorous Soul

Salamence @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Dragon / Ground
Hasty Nature
- Roost
- Glaive Rush / Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Clangorous Soul

Furthermore another problematic Pokemon has popped up among the Clangorous Soul abusers in Baxcalibur.

This dragon has always been somewhat borderline broken in STABmons due to it's immense attack and potent dual stabs backed by Glacial Lance and Glaive Rush / Dragon Darts but this update brought something unexpected, synergy with another Pokemon and move in Ninetails-Alola and Aurora Veil. The synergy between the two Pokemon's and move comes down to the change from Hail to Snow which grants Ice types a 50% increase in defense meaning Baxcalibur becomes immediately more physically bulky just by bringing in and switching out Ninetails-Alola yet this bulk is further enhanced by Ninetails being a setter of Aurora Veil, a combined Light Screen and Reflect effect that reduces damage taken from both sides by 1/3rd. With these two effects stacking on top of each other Baxcalibur can turn calcs like this:

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Axe Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 821-970 (221.2 - 261.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Into this:

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Axe Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur in Snow with an ally's Aurora Veil: 274-325 (73.8 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Letting it survive nearly any physical attack possible from any Pokemon from max HP, keep in mind that Axe Kick Conkeldurr is backed by Sheer Force's 1.3x boost + Life Orb's 1.3x boost + 120 BP move and 140 base attack fighting type.

Furthermore, the player can opt to use Ice Body the normally ignored ability of Baxcalibur to further increase the longevity of the dragon basically negating the downside of Clangorous Soul but even without it Dragon Dance and Sword's Dance set aren't that much worse in the grand scheme as Baxcalibur can use the hp restored to abuse Substitutes.

While we haven't taken action on Baxcalibur yet, this will likely change in the coming week if the meta is unable to adapt to it. If Aurora Veil proves problematic in the long run either it or Ninetail-alola will be target of another slate (could target Light Clay instead).

Tagging Kris for implementation of Clangorous Soul restriction! Thanks for the effort!

Last edited:
So, the DLC's have been out for a few days now and several problems have inevitably cropped up and thus we voted on one of them whilst I will explain the other things we are watching very closely.

InTheHillsGiaganticFCLBDCRoFnAResult
Clangorous SoulRestrictRestrictWill Add LaterRestrictRestrict4/0/0 = Restrict

As a result, Clangorous Soul has been restricted to native users only (aka only Kommo-o)!

This move is insanely good as are all omniboosters, the HP cost is minimal and it's users only really need a single boost to sweep teams. It's users ranged from Baxcalibur to Roaring Moon and Salamence, and they all benefited from the increase bulk granted by +1 to all stats and in the case of Salamence was fully capable of going mixed with it, sets seen included the following (not limited to these).

Baxcalibur @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Glaive Rush
- Substitute
- Clangorous Soul

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Power Trip
- Dragon Darts
- Earthquake
- Clangorous Soul

Salamence @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake
- Clanging Scales

Furthermore another problematic Pokemon has popped up among the Clangorous Soul abusers in Baxcalibur.

This dragon has always been somewhat borderline broken in STABmons due to it's immense attack and potent dual stabs backed by Glacial Lance and Glaive Rush / Dragon Darts but this update brought something unexpected, synergy with another Pokemon and move in Ninetails-Alola and Aurora Veil. The synergy between the two Pokemon's and move comes down to the change from Hail to Snow which grants Ice types a 50% increase in defense meaning Baxcalibur becomes immediately more physically bulky just by bringing in and switching out Ninetails-Alola yet this bulk is further enhanced by Ninetails being a setter of Aurora Veil, a combined Light Screen and Reflect effect that reduces damage taken from both sides by 1/3rd. With these two effects stacking on top of each other Baxcalibur can turn calcs like this:

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Axe Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 821-970 (221.2 - 261.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Into this:

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Axe Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur in Snow with an ally's Aurora Veil: 274-325 (73.8 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Letting it survive nearly any physical attack possible from any Pokemon from max HP, keep in mind that Axe Kick Conkeldurr is backed by Sheer Force's 1.3x boost + Life Orb's 1.3x boost + 120 BP move and 140 base attack fighting type.

Furthermore, the player can opt to use Ice Body the normally ignored ability of Baxcalibur to further increase the longevity of the dragon basically negating the downside of Clangorous Soul but even without it Dragon Dance and Sword's Dance set aren't that much worse in the grand scheme as Baxcalibur can use the hp restored to abuse Substitutes.

While we haven't taken action on Baxcalibur yet, this will likely change in the coming week if the meta is unable to adapt to it. If Aurora Veil proves problematic in the long run either it or Ninetail-alola will be target of another slate (could target Light Clay instead).

Tagging Kris for implementation of Clangorous Soul restriction! Thanks for the effort!
wow way to ruin my fun. in all seriousness, this is very much needed thank y’all so much. imo I would target light clay over tails or veil- screens only really become annoying and problematic when they last for too long :)

has anyone actually achieved any success with yanmega? it feels like a noob trap to me lol. I’ve tried it out and it feels… just ok. not good, not bad, just mediocre. but then again it consistently sweeps me even when I have checks, so maybe I’m just bad at the game. the one way I’ve made it work is with a rain team, but then it gets held back by damp rock ban. here’s the set I’ve been using, please give me advice I am struggling

meganisoptera (Yanmega) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Throat Spray
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Flying
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Tail Glow
- Bleakwind Storm /Air Slash / Hurricane
- Protect

Last edited:

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
OM Leader

With the release of DLC 1, a winter storm came to STABmons, and unlike most generations has led to the synergy between a fox and a dragon. Yes, this post concerns Ninetales-Alola and Baxcalibur, with the latter being put on the chopping block.

InTheHillsGiaganticLBDCRoFnAFCResult
BAN: BaxcaliburYesYesYesYesYes5/0/0 = BAN

As a result of this vote, Baxcalibur has been banned from STABmons!

Now, the reason for why Baxcalibur has been targeted now comes down to multiple factors, firstly, Hail was changed to Snow which grants a 50% defense bonus which makes Baxcalibur who already has above average bulk, really physically tanky and prior to DLC 1 there was no good setter (aside from Chilly Reception Slowking), but now we have Ninetales-Alola whom is a good setter of snow and Aurora Veil. Secondly, Baxcalibur was typically behind Aurora Veil further boosting it's bulk to insane levels, and third Baxcalibur has always been borderline broken even prior to DLC 1. This is a dragon with access to extremely potent stabs such as Glacial Lance, Glaive Rush, Dragon Darts, etc... and the coverage to make up for short comings in these two STABs. Heck, even if Ninetales-Alola was not released it is likely that Baxcalibur would've continued to be seen as broken due to it ability to hit so hard especially after using Dragon Dance or Swords Dance. To top this all off, Tera as it always does could be used both offensively to boost the power of it's normal STABs, boost it's coverage move, defensively alter the dynamics of a match, or a combination of these factors.

Ninetales-Alola can also be quite difficult to handle as it has the tools to handle many would be counter strats such as setup sweepers using it as a free turn which it could punish with a Encore. It also gained Chilly Reception which made cancelling it's Snow much harder meaning that if it failed to setup Aurora Veil it could just pivot (Chilly Reception) and grant the 50% defence bonus to Baxcalibur. These supportive attributes all contributed to Baxcalibur going from broken to extremely broken and as a result it has been banned.

We will continue to watch out for broken elements within STABmons once this has been implemented which includes watching out for Aurora Veil in the off chance that it continues to prove problematic.

Tagging Kris for implementation of the Baxcalibur ban, thanks as always!

Last edited:
BUT WAIT! Don't drop Hail just yet!

I'm gonna keep this relatively brief, but let me just say, Baxcalibur is a cog in a grander machine, Hail is still incredibly potent with Alolan Ninetales' support, and its remaining abusers.
To illustrate my point, allow me to direct you to
This guy

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Headlong Rush
- Trailblaze

- Ice Shard

Mamoswine is extremely potent as a wallbreaker with a two 120 Base power unresisted STAB move combo to its name, the combo of which a much safer ability to run Life Orb and Adamant Nature, Mamoswine may even put the recently banned Baxcalibur to shame in that regard, this is without even mentioning the incredible bulk it recieves under Veil + Hail's defense boost, which grant it the same titanic bulk that made Baxcalibur so tough to take down.
Tera Grass allows Mamoswine to both greatly abuse Thick Fat to sidestep Jet Punch, and Grassy Glide, while still not fearing opposing Ice Shard all too much, and also comes with the massive benefit of allowing Mamoswine to absolutely thrash Rotom Wash and snowball out of control with speed boosts (see what I did there?)
You may have killed the maon, but not the idea, and Mamoswine, while likely not broken like Baxcalibur was, will be a testament to that as the meta develops.

Last edited:

with a two 120 Base power unresisted STAB move combo to its name
uhhhhhh frosmoth exists. but i get what you’re saying here. alternate set:

Mamoswine @ Loaded Dice
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Bone Rush
- Trailblaze
- Rock Blast

very versatile mon, so cool (pun intended) that ice types are finally good. also has anyone else noticed that elephants are just good this gen, great tusk, iron treads, and mamoswine are all pretty good. even donphan and copperajah are good in UU and RU respectively. huh. anyways tangent over go use mamoswine you’ll have fun

Anyone try Ursaluna Bloodmoon out? Boomburst is huge improvement on Blood Moon, and you could replace the consistency of Earth Power with Sandsear Storm for more base power. Running specs is also a far more feasible option without the limits of Blood Moon.

Fentanyl Bear (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Mind's Eye
Tera Type: Fairy / Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shore Up / Vacuum Wave
- Boomburst
- Earth Power / Sandsear Storm

Methamphetamine Bear (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Normal / Ground / Fighting / Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Boomburst
- Sandsear Storm / Earth Power
- Vacuum Wave
- Moonblast

Last edited:
Anyone try Ursaluna Bloodmoon out? Boomburst is huge improvement on Blood Moon, and you could replace the consistency of Earth Power with Sandsear Storm for more base power. Running specs is also a far more feasible option without the limits of Blood Moon.

Fentanyl Bear (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fairy / Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shore Up / Vacuum Wave
- Boomburst
- Earth Power / Sandsear Storm

Methamphetamine Bear (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Normal / Ground / Fighting / Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Boomburst
- Sandsear Storm / Earth Power
- Vacuum Wave
- Moonblast
first of all, phenomenal names fentanyl bear made me spit out my chocolate milk. secondly. i’ve played around with this little lad and have come to the conclusion that it is just kinda boring to use lol. more seriously tho, there are too many easy counters. my personal fav is jet punch wellspring oregano, but any rain sweeper will do the job. the low special defense is a huge detriment too. all in all, if you’re having fun, keep on keepin on. i’ll keep going on bear hunts in the meantime:)

BUT WAIT! Don't drop Hail just yet!

I'm gonna keep this relatively brief, but let me just say, Baxcalibur is a cog in a grander machine, Hail is still incredibly potent with Alolan Ninetales' support, and its remaining abusers.
To illustrate my point, allow me to direct you to
This guy

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Headlong Rush
- Trailblaze

- Ice Shard

Mamoswine is extremely potent as a wallbreaker with a two 120 Base power unresisted STAB move combo to its name, the combo of which a much safer ability to run Life Orb and Adamant Nature, Mamoswine may even put the recently banned Baxcalibur to shame in that regard, this is without even mentioning the incredible bulk it recieves under Veil + Hail's defense boost, which grant it the same titanic bulk that made Baxcalibur so tough to take down.
Tera Grass allows Mamoswine to both greatly abuse Thick Fat to sidestep Jet Punch, and Grassy Glide, while still not fearing opposing Ice Shard all too much, and also comes with the massive benefit of allowing Mamoswine to absolutely thrash Rotom Wash and snowball out of control with speed boosts (see what I did there?)
You may have killed the maon, but not the idea, and Mamoswine, while likely not broken like Baxcalibur was, will be a testament to that as the meta develops.
SNOW
Also what do you think of Snow Cloak as an ability for offensive Mammoswine? Instead of taking 50% reduced damage for 2 types, is having a +20% chance to evade damage altogether better when your investment focus is on power instead of bulk?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)