Resource Scarlet & Violet BSS Discussion

What kind of sets are we seeing for Garganacl? What's the most braindead easy one to slot into your team? I am seeing that there are sets where you boost DEF and sets where you boost SpDEF, I assume the former is for body press shenanigans though.
I've seen Tera ghost mainly, if that helps. Salt Cure and Recover are the only guarantees. Iron def+Body Press is kinda getting rarer cause easily walled, I think.

What kind of sets are we seeing for Garganacl? What's the most braindead easy one to slot into your team? I am seeing that there are sets where you boost DEF and sets where you boost SpDEF, I assume the former is for body press shenanigans though.
I've seen Tera flying/poison/ghost. Ghost seems the best to beat other Garg mixed with its ability to halve ghost damage. Two main spreads from my games against it one that's mostly spdef and then they iron defense up, and the other is just full def and still with iron defense. The set I always see is recover, iron defense, salt cure, body press. The idea of fissure always scares me but nobody runs that right, just on Don?

I've seen Tera flying/poison/ghost. Ghost seems the best to beat other Garg mixed with its ability to halve ghost damage. Two main spreads from my games against it one that's mostly spdef and then they iron defense up, and the other is just full def and still with iron defense. The set I always see is recover, iron defense, salt cure, body press. The idea of fissure always scares me but nobody runs that right, just on Don?
I've seen fissure.

The Braindead
Garganacl @ Leftovers/Sitrus berry
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Ghost/Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp.Def
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Fissure
- Iron Defense

So I'm unfamiliar with the whole meta here and whats good (doesn't help I entirely skipped out on SS meta) and I tried to put together a half decent team. Any recommendations are welcome.

Florauna (Meowscarada) @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Play Rough

Rotom-Wash @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Dark Pulse

Baxcalibur @ Life Orb
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hex
- Foul Play

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

I want to keep Meowscarada, some offensive form of t-tar, and a dragon dancer or similar (quiverdance, etc) on my team, other than that I'm willing to take recommendations if you think any other mons/movesets it would fit my team better.

So I'm unfamiliar with the whole meta here and whats good (doesn't help I entirely skipped out on SS meta) and I tried to put together a half decent team. Any recommendations are welcome.

Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Play Rough

Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Dark Pulse

Baxcalibur @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hex
- Foul Play

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

I want to keep Meowscarada, some offensive form of t-tar, and a dragon dancer or similar (quiverdance, etc) on my team, other than that I'm willing to take recommendations if you think any other mons/movesets it would fit my team better.
That mostly looks good. I'd use the usual electric Tera rotom, 0 weaknesses with levitate. Hex on Amoongus doesn't seem great tbh. And maybe Focus blast over t-bolt on Gholdengo, you do have electric, but no fighting coverage.

EDIT: Item Clause

What do we think of Bellibolt? I have yet to see a single one. I haven't tried it yet (planning on it soon) but I feel like it might be slept on. Great bulk and useable spatk. I like that it could be a good pivot and come in and fire off boosted electric attacks with its electromorphosis ability. I'm thinking AV or leftovers with slack off. Modest with max HP or full spdef. Defensive might be cool with static, but I think the electromorphosis ability would be better so you can actually have an offensive presence. My biggest worry is it being setup fodder, and the fact that physical attackers seem pretty common and I'm envisioning it better as spdef. It doesn't have a great move pool but it has some interesting options in weatherball, sucker punch, mud shot, muddy/chilling water. Personally I think acid spray might have some merit too to bypass dragons or unaware mons a little easier and give it more offensive power. Or maybe even soak.

All that said I really wish it had yawn...

What do we think of Bellibolt? I have yet to see a single one. I haven't tried it yet (planning on it soon) but I feel like it might be slept on. Great bulk and useable spatk. I like that it could be a good pivot and come in and fire off boosted electric attacks with its electromorphosis ability. I'm thinking AV or leftovers with slack off. Modest with max HP or full spdef. Defensive might be cool with static, but I think the electromorphosis ability would be better so you can actually have an offensive presence. My biggest worry is it being setup fodder, and the fact that physical attackers seem pretty common and I'm envisioning it better as spdef. It doesn't have a great move pool but it has some interesting options in weatherball, sucker punch, mud shot, muddy/chilling water. Personally I think acid spray might have some merit too to bypass dragons or unaware mons a little easier and give it more offensive power. Or maybe even soak.

All that said I really wish it had yawn...
I've seen it and run it. I gave up on it for w/e reason, might go back. One I saw was soak. Leftovers too, for easy heal when they have to switch...was tough. I think it's mostly good, strong ability(charged status is no longer next turn only.) Good bulk(actually more on Def than SpD, though I went SpD modest too.) I wouldn't av it, I think. I always want to av everyone so that's saying something I think. 4mss, I actually ran Electric Terrain for yawn nullification. But for that you're better off with Annihilape. Grounded electrics seem slept on, few people have. But they can do work, Ampharos got me good.

What about Appletun? I just started using it, with iron defense and recover it can take, say, ttar's ice punch. That came up, plus they took helmet chip. Apple Acid is great, even if it's no lumina crash(you get bulk though.) Dragon pulse seems fine, and thick fat is a great ability with that typing.

Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Play Rough

Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Dark Pulse

Baxcalibur @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hex
- Foul Play

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Your team looks very solid. For rotom I would recommended specs with trick to shut down all the walls in the tier. Bax definitely wants loaded dice for icicle spear to hit 4 times minimum with maybe a ground/ice tera for offense. Ranked singles has an item clause, so you might want to swap vest on tyranitar. I don't see him used as much these days, but maybe a special variant could be good. I think you will struggle against all the dragons like dragapult if you have nothing to tank those banded darts.

How often do you guys see Spore Breloom/Amoongus? My friend and I had our climb to Master Ball tier last week and had an especially rough time trying to play around it. We actually didn't lose a match to it but definitely enough that we're second-guessing our team comp.

How often do you guys see Spore Breloom/Amoongus? My friend and I had our climb to Master Ball tier last week and had an especially rough time trying to play around it. We actually didn't lose a match to it but definitely enough that we're second-guessing our team comp.
I don't see either very often but when I do it's just Breloom and not Amoonguss, and they don't even send it out. Between Grass and Flying Terastalizers, Gholdengo and Garganacl, and Lum Berry dragons running amok, Spore users aren't in a very good place rn imo.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually think Breloom and Amoonguss are still pretty powerful Pokemon despite all the Gholdengo running around. Breloom in particular still 2HKOs most Gholdengo with Bulldoze. There is a bulkier set a top team was using to try and get around that, I'll try to find the EV spread later, but it required pretty hefty investment and a Bold nature to get around. Garganacl tends to be a harder stop for most Breloom once it Terastallizes, but switching in it can still take a pretty hefty amount of damage.

Amoonguss doesn't have as easy ways around all this stuff (though it can certainly wear down stuff like Choice / AV Gholdengo with Hex and Stomping Tantrum), but Regen more than makes up for it in my eyes. Plus its a great Breloom check in itself!

All that being said, I am pretty thankful for Gholdengo and Garganacl making Spore chill out just a bit, those two are splashable enough that I don't think we're running into the issue for that no legends ladder back in gen 7, where we were forced to use stuff like Safety Goggles Scizor to deal with Breloom, Amoonguss, and Vivillon lol.

Anyways, I went on a little adventure yesterday: I had a dream about Mario riding a Cyclizar in Mario Kart 8, and decided "ok time to finally test out Cyclizar!". My brother is letting me use his game to test out wackier stuff without tanking my rating (thanks Deadite , yes that's my brother lol), so I went ahead and made a silly team to test Cyclizar. I would suggest NOT using this team unless you don't care about your rating, it was made fast and has a lot of flaws.

So besides the obvious problem of "this team has a ton of mons that want to Terastallize" in Mimikyu / Cloyster / Garganacl (Rotom-W can actually get away with un tera Tera Blast), this team made a big mistake: I made it way too dependent on Cyclizar. See, I think Cyclizar could actually be viable: passing Shed Tail to stuff like Gholdengo can be devestating, especially against passive leads like Hippowdon, and I got quite a few disgusting Cloyster sweeps by getting it in for free!

However, Cyclizar has a big issue it doesn't have to deal with as much in OU: Cyclizar feels like a total dead weight if its the last Pokemon remaining. I used an EV spread to outspeed Scarf Garchomp (so 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 Spe Timid), and even with SpA investment, Cyclizar was a pretty weak Pokemon, basically only able to KO some dragons with Draco Meteor. And don't even get me started on how Cyclizar was serious set-up bait after using Draco Meteor!

It took over 40 matches for me to get to Master Ball with this team, almost double of what I had to do a little under 2 weeks ago to blitz to Master Ball in Violet. If you want to make a more functional Cyclizar team on me, make sure you have back up squads of Pokemon that can function when Cyclizar isn't chosen. Going all in on Cyclizar isn't the best idea! I'm tempted to try a physically oriented one later too, even if Outrage sucks, just to get around some of the set-up issues, though it'd be even more vulnerable to Steel-types..

Since my brother is being kind enough to let me ladder with his game, I'll be testing and reporting on all sorts of wacky ideas in the future, so stay tuned!

I have an issue w/ Baxcalibur. So even though I replaced Arboliva(who is very weak to Bax,) the Pokemon I replaced her w/ is similary bad vs bax, and was not chosen for that match-up either(Drifblim again.) So that has to go. Now I'm looking at either Anger Shell Klawf(Can live Tera Ground unboosted EQ, or usually non-tera +1, and ohko/likely ohko tera ground after Anger Shell,) or Tauros Aqua Breed(Can ohko w/ CC, or do high damage to ground bax. Offsets a boost w/ Intimidate.)

The set I'd use for Klawf is already sorted.

Klawf @ Expert Belt
Ability: Anger Shell
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def
Impish Nature
- Crabhammer
- Trailblaze
- Knock Off
- Rock Blast

Tauros, if I use that, is not yet made besides EVs. So if suggesting Tauros please suggest other moves than CC and maybe Raging Bull/Aqua Jet.

I don't see either very often but when I do it's just Breloom and not Amoonguss, and they don't even send it out. Between Grass and Flying Terastalizers, Gholdengo and Garganacl, and Lum Berry dragons running amok, Spore users aren't in a very good place rn imo.
Okay, so I'm not going crazy haha. I kinda figured they were anomalies. Theorymon is 100% correct about Breloom and Among being serious threats though. Honestly, I think my friend and I are overthinking the team wayyy too much at this point. We already have Scarfed Gholden that can actually deal with it and Terra Grass Dondozo just in case.

Breloom and Amoongus are still around. Yawn is definitely harder to play around and the strongest walls in the game have it. Top 100 has a lot of Skeledirge, Dondozo, Clodsire, mimikyu, gholdengo and dragapult.

What are your thoughts about Gyarados? The good old Tauntyarados can be good in this season 1, with fissure exisiting and woth so many passive mons I think he can do well.

Im trying to fix his 4yh attack. DD, Tanut and Waterfall are the core. Im thinking of EQ for coverage, Ice Fang anti dragons, or terafly for dual stab

What are your thoughts about Gyarados? The good old Tauntyarados can be good in this season 1, with fissure exisiting and woth so many passive mons I think he can do well.

Im trying to fix his 4yh attack. DD, Tanut and Waterfall are the core. Im thinking of EQ for coverage, Ice Fang anti dragons, or terafly for dual stab
Fissure probably means Garganacl or Dondozo, the latter definitely won't care about gyara with unaware. Garg might, but I feel like you'd need to set up first.

Gyara seems fine, but not cause of the fissure immunity.

Edit: I guess Don cant hurt you unless it's curse(and then maybe not fissure anyways.)

Against Don is a Metapod's fight. I think noone will die until no PP are left xD. Anyways, Im still thinking for the perfect Don's counter, maybe Energy Ball, but who can use it I wonder...

I've always used different stuff than the main meta things(well I have Skeledirge.) I'm now using Vespiquen for Don, Toxic and fissure immune. HDB for the obligatory hazard(s) with don, and U-turn out of yawn. Certainly there are easier fixes.

Pelipper Floatzel has been pretty fun for me, banded Wave Crash in rain OHKOs most of the meta even on resisted hits and he still comfortably outspeeds scarf pult in rain

the numbers are so nutty i dont even bother clicking on super effective coverage moves - tera water rain boosted wavecrash has a BP of 120 * 1.5 * 2 = 360, making resisted hits still having a base power of 180

Any suggestions on what other mons to pair it with? Right now my rain core is Specs Pelipper (HP/SPA+), Banded Floatzel (ATK+/SPE), LO Kilowattrel (SPA/SPE+, budget zapdos with terablast ice for bolt beam coverage plus my go-to switch in for rotom leads)

Last edited:
Pelipper Floatzel has been pretty fun for me, banded Wave Crash in rain OHKOs most of the meta even on resisted hits and he still comfortably outspeeds scarf pult in rain

the numbers are so nutty i dont even bother clicking on super effective coverage moves - tera water rain boosted wavecrash has a BP of 120 * 1.5 * 2 = 360, making resisted hits still having a base power of 180

Any suggestions on what other mons to pair it with? Right now my rain core is Specs Pelipper (HP/SPA+), Banded Floatzel (ATK+/SPE), LO Kilowattrel (SPA/SPE+, budget zapdos with terablast ice for bolt beam coverage plus my go-to switch in for rotom leads)
That sounds like a really cool set. A lot of the top teams have been running torkoal and scovillain for their weather. Does it handle Dondozo at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)