Resource Scarlet & Violet BSS Discussion

I'm not surprised to hear of AV Dondozo. I worry how that makes my Alomomola look, w/ her vaguely inferior stats. But Don lacks Play Rough and Mirror Coat at least.

You think it's worth using sticky web Masquerain as a suicide lead? It can also sub vs breloom to prevent spore and they cant break the sub in 1 hit unless they are using rock tomb which seems less likely due to gholdengo making more of them run bulldoze.

You think it's worth using sticky web Masquerain as a suicide lead? It can also sub vs breloom to prevent spore and they cant break the sub in 1 hit unless they are using rock tomb which seems less likely due to gholdengo making more of them run bulldoze.
Sash and sub then? I actually did that last gen on malamar...could work. Might even work on my team...it's slow and needs a flyer for fissure Dondozo.

After sub/webs, do you like Struggle Bug+Chilling Water? Drops either offensive stat to force switches. Or Maybe Giga Drain/Flying STAB? Water/fly gives best coverage for it I would think.

Also, what ability is best on Annihilape? If I trigger Defiant I'm very weak to it...

Edit: thinking Hydro Pump to maybe 2hko non SpD Garg even after lefties

EVs 164 HP/ 4 Def/ 156 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 180 Spe. Outspeed +Spe 70s, generally take loom 5 hits seed on sub, and almost always 2hko 252/4 Garg. Note 172 HP/0 def will likely lose sub to 5 hits

Last edited:
I need counters to Dondozo
Your set up is ignored, so acid spray can help. I was looking at Taunt Noivern, stops fissure, Yawn, EQ, and STAB. There should be lots of stuff.

I have Orthworm to absorb fissure and tank, and Appletun wrecks it with Apple Acid. If it teras grass I can use Acid Spray, I can also burn it with Skeledirge. It's a hard Mon though, it kinda takes a village.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I need counters to Dondozo
I'd say the most reliable one tends to be Rotom-W: you're immune to Fissure, can take most of its attacks (Grass Tera Blast seems uncommon right now thankfully), and zap it with your Electric-type attacks! You can even Trick a choice item on Curse ones. Rotom-W can also very feasibly run Lum Berry + Nasty Plot.

Specs Hydreigon hits it pretty hard too, though watch out for Avalanche variants.

If you're willing to Terastallize, Flying Annihilape with Taunt does great as well.

I think Orthworm is really good. I had doubts at 1st, but Earth Eater is an awesome ability. Apparently many people don't know it lol. People love to bring Baxcalibur vs me(idk that I bait it, but probably.) Orthworm completely walls Bax unless maybe it's brick break. But even then they'd probably need at least +1 on my switch in.

Then there's chomp, and though I don't hurt it enough, Dondozo. Not to mention strong things it walls w/o ability, like Meowscarada. I've taken to only setting up one round of iron defense to hit a special switch in, since that's what they need to kill it. But some special can't take it either. Glimmora mainly, and Abomasnow(hehe, Earth power.) It helps me with the evil horror of Maushold too, taking normal Tera Bomb well(3hko, and less cause I boost, though there's crits. But I'm sitrus too. And they shouldn't be sash as a rule so yay.) I tend to ohko Hydreigon, which also helps(with another Mon, though I'm sure I can get it on the switch with the worm.) Imo very slept on.

EDIT: Is Iron Def+BP best, or is it meant to use a slow Shed Tail? Seen that, was strong. Good options.

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Brief thoughts on some Pokémon so far:
:SV/Toxapex: - I've been finding this Toxapex really splashable on some of my teams recently. It beats Donzozo, a task which I've been finding increasingly difficult. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what the EV spread is for. Recently I've been finding Body Slam as a good option over Scald since Toxapex lost it between Generation 8 and 9. I decided to choose Body Slam because of foes like Dragapult that run Steel Terastal, making them immune to Toxic. Body Slam's decent chance to paralyze them prevents them from freely setting up on Toxapex. While I think that Steel Terastal can work, I've chosen to run Flying Terastal to compress a Dragonite answer within Toxapex, as otherwise it is unable to stop Earthquake Dragonite. An interesting thing that I've observed about Terastal is that it renders Black Sludge almost useless, as should you decide to Terastal Toxapex then it becomes an extra source of chip damage instead of recovery.

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 84 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Body Slam
- Recover

:SV/Dondozo: - I've found Dondozo incredibly obnoxious to deal with. It has two good tera options in Dragon and Grass, both of which negate Dondozo's Electric and Grass weakness. The only mutual weakness that all three types have in common is Freeze-Dry, whose best user (Iron Bundle) is currently illegal. While Dragon and Grass are also both weak to Ice, this weakness is hard to exploit because there are few good Ice Beam users in the metagame, and it's pre-terastal typing, Water, resists Ice. Despite my not having used it much, Dondozo has put in work in most of the games I've seen it in due to its incredible bulk, and it should definitely be considered in the builder.

:SV/Meowscarada: - Another potential Dondozo answer, I've found Meowscarada a cool Pokémon to build around. Protean is a good ability despite its nerf, and I think that Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets have a lot of potential since they more or less circumvent the Protean nerf. Grass + Dark isn't the easiest type combination to switch into (though it is certainly doable), further improving Meowscarada's offensive prowess.

I feel like I should have lots to contribute with over 200 games already(yes really lol,) but idk. Definitely lots of dragons, I capitalize on this with Orthworm, Alomomola(Play Rough ohkos Hydreigon,) and Fairy Tera Appletun.

I'm not doing good, but it always seems like I almost am. Dalliances with weird mons can hurt, though the FWG core and worm are solid as far as I can tell. I haven't noticed much Dondozo unlike the others, I must be checking it enough. Rotom is super common, I like to handle it with mirror coat or Appletun, mainly. I'm finding weather to not really exist, snow seems bad mostly, so does rain. And sun has its primal paradox banned. While sand is there a little(I use resttalk for hippo lol,) there is no abuse of it, unless the odd ttar counts.

Annihilape is my biggest problem rn I think. Otherwise it's combinations of stuff more than one Mon beating me. Well there's also the very rare Bellibolt and Ampharos that threaten me.

I feel like I should have lots to contribute with over 200 games already(yes really lol,) but idk. Definitely lots of dragons, I capitalize on this with Orthworm, Alomomola(Play Rough ohkos Hydreigon,) and Fairy Tera Appletun.

I'm not doing good, but it always seems like I almost am. Dalliances with weird mons can hurt, though the FWG core and worm are solid as far as I can tell. I haven't noticed much Dondozo unlike the others, I must be checking it enough. Rotom is super common, I like to handle it with mirror coat or Appletun, mainly. I'm finding weather to not really exist, snow seems bad mostly, so does rain. And sun has its primal paradox banned. While sand is there a little(I use resttalk for hippo lol,) there is no abuse of it, unless the odd ttar counts.

Annihilape is my biggest problem rn I think. Otherwise it's combinations of stuff more than one Mon beating me. Well there's also the very rare Bellibolt and Ampharos that threaten me.
Gosh, you are right about freeze dry. Horrible users. Glaceon is the only I find quite interesting. It has nice defences and huge spatk. But lack of coverage. Maybe a rest talk build?

Gosh, you are right about freeze dry. Horrible users. Glaceon is the only I find quite interesting. It has nice defences and huge spatk. But lack of coverage. Maybe a rest talk build?
I'd agree on coverage being bad, but the move pool is good. Yawn, CM, Mirror coat, Chilling water, etc.

Pawmot can also do ok, only reason I say that is bc revival blessing is nuts so finding a use for it on your team could potentially be good.
I've been looking into him as a potential focus sash/punching glove lead. All of his abilities are so good too and the ice punch is good coverage on things that come to wall it. Revival Blessing is very hit/miss for me because I don't always bring something with a priority move or you don't even get a chance to use it.

Trick specs rotom w is really good devastating or creeping Don. Specs tera elec hydreigon hits like a truck against him. Tera flying taunt vital spirit annihilape can set up on him easily.
I'd say the most reliable one tends to be Rotom-W: you're immune to Fissure, can take most of its attacks (Grass Tera Blast seems uncommon right now thankfully), and zap it with your Electric-type attacks! You can even Trick a choice item on Curse ones. Rotom-W can also very feasibly run Lum Berry + Nasty Plot.

Specs Hydreigon hits it pretty hard too, though watch out for Avalanche variants.

If you're willing to Terastallize, Flying Annihilape with Taunt does great as well.
The Dondozo players absolutely won't let you trick them. They all know it's coming and just protect and swap in something else. I like the hydreigon idea a lot and tera flying can be slapped on anybody, it just sucks to blow tera JUST for him.

Cyclizar Team
Glad someone else has tried out Cyclizar to similar levels of mediocre success. I was tempted by lurid stories of it being ridiculous in 6v6 and my natural love of dual screen offense from dynamax days to give it a whirl for my first Gen 9 teams. Man oh man, it did not work out lol. Having 1 support Pokemon and 5 targets vs 1 support pokemon and 2 Pokemon who need to do everything else together is such a massive difference. I will say though, passing shed tail subs to Multiscale Dragonite felt evil at times. Despite the inherit bad synergy, passing to a Dragonite and having your sub live effortlessly feels amazing. Most other recepients I tried like super fat Espathra didn't seem to go in nearly as hard. I think we're mostly just light on Pokemon where a free sub is a near auto win for now. I can see Cyclizar getting a lot better with more high power formats farther into the generation.

Last edited:
How does fast Cyclizar shed tail compare to slow Orthworm Shed Tail? I'm still unsure if I should be running that.
My favorite thing to do with Cyclizar is to run him with a choice scarf to kill all the dragapults with draco meteor. Fast passing is pretty good for dragonite and cloyster against a physical threat.

I definitely wanna speak on some Pokémon that have been tearing it up as of lately:

Volcarona- Man I see this thing absolutely everywhere on the Cart Ladder and somewhat on the Showdown ladder. Puts in work and has a variety of sets. Specs Overheat absolutely HURTS and not many things want to come in and take it. Scarf is also kinda cool as well, being a very effective cleaner when everything is set. Quiver Dance sets have also become more deadly, especially since more Volcs are running bulk and can therefore setup on Physical Attackers and Morning Sun on them. Really baller lately as long as you can stop rocks and even then, it can run boots to prevent that. Also has a assortment of Tera types that it loves to run.

Kingambit- Absolutely hate this thing. Supreme Overlord makes this thing hit harder than a freight train. It also resists everything and is a great check and answer for Pult, Hydreigon, and yes, Gholdengo if he's not running Focus Blast. Kowtow Cleave is a neat move versus cheese and SD gives it a already insane boost to what it does. Definitely a major threat that puts in crazy work especially with not many fighting types in this season.

Skeledirge:- Don't even get me started on the Alligator. Yawn + Torch Song makes it liable to snowball eventually if you're not prepared. Tera Fairy almost makes this nigh unkillable if it gets in the right situation. Also have started seeing Sub + Torch sets which are VERY annoying. Feels as if everyone is running Kingambit and Hydrei just to get rid of it.

Baxcalibur- Haven't made a team with this mon yet, but boy it's a matchup nightmare if you're not prepared. Glaive Rush with Tera Dragon nukes everything that doesn't resist after a boost, and this thing is quite bulky so it's always gonna get a DD off and do a lot of damage.

I'm maintaining a 1:1 ratio. Still. It's ok, but does anyone have a good answer to Annihilape and Sylveon? Im using an extreme ape answer in braviary, but it's no particular use vs Sylveon. Otherwise things seem to work, still not a fan of hippo(I use resttalk on Skeledirge but it's just one Mon.) Arboliva looks threatening, thankfully it's rare.

Has anyone used Clawitzer? I always loved the potential of this mon, with moves with bp 120 and strongs water pulse. Its spatk is really high, decent bulk but horrible speed. Even scarf+ only has 183, less than jolly Meow or neutral Dragapult.

I definitely wanna speak on some Pokémon that have been tearing it up as of lately:

Volcarona- Man I see this thing absolutely everywhere on the Cart Ladder and somewhat on the Showdown ladder. Puts in work and has a variety of sets. Specs Overheat absolutely HURTS and not many things want to come in and take it. Scarf is also kinda cool as well, being a very effective cleaner when everything is set. Quiver Dance sets have also become more deadly, especially since more Volcs are running bulk and can therefore setup on Physical Attackers and Morning Sun on them. Really baller lately as long as you can stop rocks and even then, it can run boots to prevent that. Also has a assortment of Tera types that it loves to run.

Kingambit- Absolutely hate this thing. Supreme Overlord makes this thing hit harder than a freight train. It also resists everything and is a great check and answer for Pult, Hydreigon, and yes, Gholdengo if he's not running Focus Blast. Kowtow Cleave is a neat move versus cheese and SD gives it a already insane boost to what it does. Definitely a major threat that puts in crazy work especially with not many fighting types in this season.

Skeledirge:- Don't even get me started on the Alligator. Yawn + Torch Song makes it liable to snowball eventually if you're not prepared. Tera Fairy almost makes this nigh unkillable if it gets in the right situation. Also have started seeing Sub + Torch sets which are VERY annoying. Feels as if everyone is running Kingambit and Hydrei just to get rid of it.

Baxcalibur- Haven't made a team with this mon yet, but boy it's a matchup nightmare if you're not prepared. Glaive Rush with Tera Dragon nukes everything that doesn't resist after a boost, and this thing is quite bulky so it's always gonna get a DD off and do a lot of damage.
This season is crazy because there's so many threats that destroy you if you predict wrong. Azumarill checks everything in your list very hard outside teras and he's everywhere too! You can't switch into a banded liquidation/playrough without immunity or tanky resist. A lot of the top 100 teams are running a lot of armarouge and ceruledge as well because they check a lot of stuff when set up.

I'm maintaining a 1:1 ratio. Still. It's ok, but does anyone have a good answer to Annihilape and Sylveon? Im using an extreme ape answer in braviary, but it's no particular use vs Sylveon. Otherwise things seem to work, still not a fan of hippo(I use resttalk on Skeledirge but it's just one Mon.) Arboliva looks threatening, thankfully it's rare.
I don't use a lot of braviary myself, but you can freely set up on ape with bulk up+roost and kill him in one hit, just don't attack the ape until it's a guaranteed 1hit, one bulk+brave bird should be enough and I'd doubt he'd stay in against you. The best thing about that bird is the high basepower moves in the form of brave bird, thrash and close combat! (alternatively you can use things like body slam). You are faster than Sylveon and you should be able to tank 1 of its hits and retaliate with anything for a one hit KO. Just bulk up once and go wild!

Has anyone used Clawitzer? I always loved the potential of this mon, with moves with bp 120 and strongs water pulse. Its spatk is really high, decent bulk but horrible speed. Even scarf+ only has 183, less than jolly Meow or neutral Dragapult.
Assault vest Clawitzer is very good against Skeledirge, Hydreigon, Special Dragapult and a few others. I personally wouldn't bother investing in speed and just focus on your special attack and HP. I think switching out against Meowscarda would be ideal and tera fighting could be interesting to boost aura spheres against steel and dark types. You even get a good match up against meow if you know they're locked into knock off/sucker punch.

Good luck everyone!

I didn't think of bulk up! I have BB/ CC/ U-turn/ rock slide. I'll see what else I can do.

I dropped U-turn, is that good, or should I drop rock slide and change to defiant?

Last edited:
Ive just seen a team with reflect arboliva, tanky skeledirge and bp espathra and it was a pain just to watch that... My gosh, espathra even had grass seed to also boost its df, and passed to skeledirge +1 spatk/spdf and +2 spe xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)