Pet Mod Roulettemons 2 (Now Playable!)

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm seriously going to miss this thread's slates, I love being able to nerd out about the wacky stuff rng comes up with.

Buffly: My opinion still holds - this thing is extremely weak, too weak to function, and everything it has does zero to contribute to everything else it's trying to do. Typing and movepool do not help its bulk, its stats and attacking moves are too weak for Shell Smash and Stakeout, Stakeout provides extremely little benefit to Shell Smash sets and vice versa. Maybe if this had Focus Blast it'd be something but it doesn't, so at +2 it's doing 70% to Slowghast with Dark Pulse from zero Sp. Def investment. That's very low damage for a cleaner or a breaker, especially in a meta where stats are as high as this and every team will naturally have several things with more special bulk than that. This isn't even to mention this is just doing absolutely zero into any team with a Fairy, and you need your item slot too much for damage output so no Judgment shenanigans. This thing has a typing built to hit stuff neutrally but severely lacks the power a Pokemon of that sort would need in order to function. No thank you.

Aquatopus: I was looking at this thing and thought about it for a bit but I don't think it's our best choice here. Our meta has a lot of physically fat stuff as is and this has an especially strong chance of ruining those with Flame Body and Sacred Fire. The Sp. Def being particularly low is also an issue for me actually since it makes it even easier than normal for your Vaporwave or Melthog to just completely destroy this thing. Has Rocks and Toxic which I think are both cool, plus no secondary type to mess with its set of resists, and it's not like we have a lot of options for fat Water-types here, but wouldn't be my first choice because of the stat distribution.

Herbigator: So this actually isn't even a bulky Water-type in the sense that I think this meta needs as its bulk isn't actually that good, but it's not like I even dislike this thing. It does have a fairly interesting, but not unstoppable offensive type for this meta while still maintaining some nice resists and middling Speed alongside its middling bulk to balance out its strong breaking presence. I probably wouldn't have noticed this having Switcheroo but that could honestly be pretty cool for this meta. Like all of our most physically bulky mons would hate being given a Choice Band so this would probably be pretty nice for enabling other physically offensive stuff and in general just being a pretty balanced slower breaker. Would be down to add this.

Albatrygon: All this thing did in Roulettemons 1 was set Webs, Spin, and die, which like... I mean, sure. Sticky Web + Rapid Spin + Memento would still be entirely unique to this thing. Its offensive presence kinda sucks so I don't see this doing anything else. Sticky Web kind of sucks but if you want a suicide lead that sets Webs, then sure, this would be the ideal candidate. I'm not going to support adding this back but if you want it, go ahead.

Ramron: Adding this thing back would completely ruin Roulettemons 2 for the time that it would remain unbanned. In Roulettemons 1, a meta with a much higher power level and much more minmaxing than this one, Ramron was in my opinion the single best Pokemon in the tier. There was never a reason not to run a Ramron set on your team except for some hyper offenses because of just how much it could do for you. It's fairly fast, pretty strong, stupidly bulky and has more utility options than it really needs while also never matching up poorly into much of anything. For how much I talk about Slowghast this thing would be twenty times worse and it's not like it would even add anything of value to the meta like Slowghast does. It'd just warp the meta like mad. This is probably the single Pokemon I'm most against us adding from this slate because I've seen what it can do and know exactly what would happen if it were to join this meta, and I'm certain it would end up getting banned again near instantly.

Swagear: Eh, not crazy about this one. We already have a lot of physically bulky stuff and this would compete quite a bit with Meowivet for a teamslot even if I understand that they're not the same. I also kind of have a personal hatred for Court Change, that move never is fun to use or play against. I don't really have much else to explain since get the argument for this thing but I'm just not a fan.

Dinomite: We already have a big Ice-type stat stick sorta like this thanks to Pengite, and this one is probably just going to be way too annoying to offense thanks to the bigger offensive presence. This obviously would have counterplay, it'd feel way weaker than it might look thanks to being Boots-locked and all of the physically fat stuff running about, but this absolutely necessitates pretty specific counterplay and I can only see offense teams completely losing all momentum and possibly just having to sack a mon if this thing comes out to very naturally check something with its stupid bulk. It'd probably hurt the meta if this were to end up pretty good, so it's either an unhealthy threat or this meta feels just that much more bloated, which I don't think we should do.

Falcola: Yeah, I could definitely see this one being worthwhile. This would have all of the resistances I think this meta needs more of while being decently bulky in both stats and not too offensively overwhelming thanks to the blindspots in its coverage. Its bulk does look strong but that is undercut by wanting to run Clangorous Soul so much. Overgrow with Energy Ball is cool too when you don't have any better abilities to run and will be naturally putting yourself at a lower HP too. Will be voting for this one, I like what it adds here.

Hippopuna: This thing is really overtuned, way too strong for this meta. That special bulk is extremely high for something with this good of an offensive presence and its physical bulk is solid for its intended role as well. Ground and Ghost are in my opinion the two best offensive types in the game and would make this thing next to impossible to switch into, likely boiling down to just Koalpuff, and even there it just uses that as an opportunity to heal or Teleport out into one of the many things that does deal with Koalpuff. The low Speed and imperfect defensive typing are really this thing's only flaws but neither of them would hold it back from completely dominating the meta in the grand scheme of things. Hard no from me.

Demabura: Could see us adding this one. Its offensive presence might seem a bit scary at a glance but we have a few Fairies that deal with this quite well. Should be fine for making progress into the balance teams that were popular when I made this meta, which we could probably use more of. High special bulk could be annoying for some people but for all of the physically bulky stuff we have, we could use one of these. Will probably end up voting for this.

Darkarrot: Assuming the approach here was that this would be a Snow abuser, I don't agree. Weather abusers like that need to be especially strong in order to adequately abuse the few turns they're given and this thing's offensive presence just isn't enough for that. There's a Snow abuser in Duomod with base 160 Sp. Atk with arguably even better coverage that doesn't feel like it's strong enough sometimes, there's no way this thing would compare in the substantially stronger Roulettemons 2 meta. Having this typing alongside a pure Ice-type would leave you with too few good resists and damage the defensive structure of whatever team you come up with too much for it to be any good. For other roles, I'll tell the story again - the one time I've ever experienced a Grass/Normal without an immunity ability in a Pet Mod, its typing was so detrimental that it felt rare to find an opposing Pokemon that didn't have a move it was weak to. Add that to the fact that we have a bunch of physically bulky stuff as is and I just don't see a good reason to add this, only negatives.

So, tl;dr - unless I get convinced otherwise, my votes will be towards Herbigator, Falcola, and Demabura, and I'd be especially against adding Ramron, Dinomite, and Hippopuna, although I feel mixed to negative about all of our options except for the three I'm voting for.

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Buffly: Free Buffly.
+2 252+ SpA Scrafty Springtide Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Spiritomb: 418-492 (108.8 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Get cleared. Clears Rocks and Steels.
Aquatopus: Can tank alot of physical hits and is decently fast w/o investment, outpacing 75 Speeds. Does have some response in the form of strong special attackers, but can still tank 2-3 hits usually. Might be a bit too much for this meta.
Barracoth: Ice-typing probably locks this into using boots, looks like a Lugia with less bulk imo. Has a few more weaknesses to exploit, but is still tough to make progress against thanks to Shadow Shield.
Herbigator: Not actually that bulky but looks quite strong. Speed being mid holds it back a bit. Doesn't really overlap roles with Vaporwave (the other Harvest Water), with this being more of a slower breaker with mid-to-okay bulk.
Albatrygon: I guess it's fine? Just really fast with good offense, but physical movepool is a bit lacking and isn't overly strong on the special side.
Ramron: Bulkier Solakin without recovery and a worse movepool. Would be a very good hazard setter and utility mon.
Swagear: I think Tail Glow is funny lure. Gets a lot of disruption to annoy walls and forces cloak on mons that would appreciate lefties.
Dinomite: Ridiculously bulky, but typing is pretty bad defensively. Probably switches in on a weak attack and bonks the next switch-in with 30-40%. Repeat 6 times to kill the opposing team.
Falcola: Yeh, this is nice.
Hippopuna: Hits very hard, serviceable physical bulk and very good special bulk, gets recovery to boot. Coyotail and Anteigo can switch in somewhat alright (unless you want to throw in Overheat). Does seem a bit ridiculous to wear down.
Demabura: This would be the third mono Dark if that bothers you. Otherwise, spdef mon that can deal decent damage.
Darkarrot: This thing just looked fun to use with Beast Boost.

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
You may now vote! Because there's so many options I'll only be accepting Pokemon with above 50% yes. You can just copy paste the thing below and fill in your answers - Yes, No, or Abstain for each as always.

Buffly:
Aquatopus:
Barracoth:
Herbigator:
Albatrygon:
Ramron:
Swagear:
Dinomite:
Falcola:
Hippopuna:
Demabura:
Darkarrot:

Buffly: Abstain
Aquatopus: No
Barracoth: Yes
Herbigator: Yes
Albatrygon: Yes
Ramron: Abstain
Swagear: No
Dinomite: No
Falcola: Yes
Hippopuna: No
Demabura: Yes
Darkarrot: Yes

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Buffly: Yes
Aquatopus: Abstain
Barracoth: Abstain
Swagear: Abstain

DuoM2

whao
Buffly: No
Albatrygon: Abstain
Ramron: No
Darkarrot: No

Aquatopus: Abstain
Albatrygon: No
Falcola: Abstain
Demabura: Abstain
Darkarrot: Abstain

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Albatrygon: No
Swagear: Yes
Dinomite: Yes
Darkarrot: No

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Buffly: Yes
Herbigator: Abstain
Hippopuna: Abstain

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Swagear: Abstain
Hippopuna: Abstain

DuoM2

whao
And that's it! The Pokemon to be accepted are as follows - Barracoth, Herbigator, Falcola, Demabura, Albatrygon, and Darkarrot! They will be added to the spreadsheet shortly after the post. But despite that being the last set of Pokemon to be added to this meta, that's not all for this mod...

Buff Slate 1 - Cateloon
...Alright, so I have a lot to say about this. First of all, for any Pet Mod where I'm the sole council member, I normally REALLY don't like making decisions like this without making sure the community knows I'm doing this and is fully okay with it, and I'm sorry if you're bothered by this decision for any reason. I did give people a fair chance to speak against me doing this in the Discord but could understand people glossing it over and being caught off guard and not liking me doing this. If you don't agree with me doing this, then I'll spoil part of something I'd otherwise have mentioned when voting started - there will be a vote for this, and you are free to vote against there being any changes even if you're certain Cateloon will not be viable in the final meta.

Cateloon, though, has always been in kind of an unfortunate spot. It was introduced to the meta in the very first slate of this mod when we were just trying to gauge the power level, and although not every mon from that initial slate appears to have ended up standing the test of time all too well, Cateloon is by far the worst offender. Back during the meta's playtesting period, when it had less than half of the mons it has now, it saw practically zero use. Despite its great stats, there were very few Pokemon it matched up well into, and its access to Spore and beefy stats did not alleviate this. What's even worse is that its life looks tougher than ever with the 30 new Pokemon we've gotten between then and now. Anteigo, Barraerpillar, Darkarrot, and Rosemire collectively share a lot of its good defensive perks and arguably outperform it with them, Anteigo and Dragophy completely block Spore with the former even being able to block for its teammates for a few turns, and the meta now has many more Pokemon that could easily prey on its large set of weaknesses.

How will buffing it work though? Well, on Discord, I have a bot called Mega Bran that can randomly generate moves by combining existing ones with a new base power, accuracy, and all that. Depending on what you all vote, Cateloon will potentially be getting one of these moves. One move won't always change a Pokemon's viability, but the crazy part of these moves is that they are all attacking moves and can sometimes have the secondary effect of status moves. Imagine a 100 base power move that has the secondary effect of Psych Up, for example. Basically would be a bootleg Spectral Thief. Or maybe something like a 90 base power move that has the secondary effect of Chilly Reception?

The five moves we'll be talking about for this slate are listed below...
Note that these moves' types and categories are changed from what the bot gave me on Discord. I explained I'd be doing this earlier there but tl;dr I want to change the typings it gave me to match the moves' names or the Pokemon's STAB types/stat spread.

NAME: Odor Tackle
TYPE: Grass
BASE POWER: 125
ACCURACY: 100
CATEGORY: Physical
MAX PP: 16
EFFECTS: For 5 turns, a Sandstorm rages. 8 turns with Smooth Rock. Rock-types: 1.5x SpD. (Sandstorm)

NAME: Heavy Defense
TYPE: Bug
BASE POWER: 110
EFFECTS: User switches its held item with the target's. (Trick)

NAME: Attack Jump Kick
TYPE: Fighting
BASE POWER: 115
ACCURACY: 90
MAX PP: 48
EFFECTS: Raises the user's Attack by 1 stage. (Sharpen)

NAME: Guard Shift
TYPE: Psychic
BASE POWER: 95
EFFECTS: High critical hit ratio. 10% chance to Burn the target. Makes contact. (Blaze Kick)

NAME: Tidy Edge
TYPE: Grass
BASE POWER: 115
EFFECTS: Swaps the user's Speed stat with the target. Ignores opposing Substitutes. (Speed Swap)
Going to probably be giving a bit longer than usual. Note that Cateloon will be learning EXACTLY ONE of these moves above unless the vote ends up going in favor of Cateloon receiving no changes. Discussion is now open!

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Odor Tackle: Hmmm looks like a strong move that will definitely increase Cateloon's offensive capabilities, but the Sandstorm setting seems double-edged and despite our plethora of Rock-types that are in this mod, i'm not sure about this

Heavy Defense: Yea no. This move heavily constricts Cateloon's item choice into a Choiced Item like Scarf or Band and I not a fan of this. Pass

Attack Jump Kick: Ooh this looks heat! This looks like a perfect way to buff up Cateloon's Attack and make it threatening. This is also a good coverage move. Easily my favouite move.

Guard Shift: Not as good as Attack Jump Kick but this works as well. It's a shame this is Psychic type cuz i feel like any other type for this move would've worked. Oh well, it's decent to say the least

Tidy Edge: In a "normal" meta this move wouldn't be great due to Cateloon having a decent speed tier and forcing it to swap it's Speed seems weird, but in a meta where Speed tiers a freakily diverse, this could work really well.

My Thoughts: Attack Jump Kick > Tidy Edge > Guard Shift > Odor Tackle > Heavy Defense

DuoM2

whao
Odor Tackle: So this is something Cateloon got pretty lucky with. All of the moves the bot rolled for this slate are fairly high in base power considering the range is from 70-130 iirc, and although this would be far from my first choice, I don't think a Pokemon is ever going to complain about its 90 base power STAB move being boosted to 125 base power. The secondary effect does not synergize with this Pokemon at all though. No matter what this Pokemon is going to suffer from chip damage, either from entry hazards and status or running Boots to leave behind any viable form of healing. This Pokemon should be able to check physical stuff and it already is prone to being worn down and broken past, so this would just make that issue worse. Again, 125 base power is nothing worth complaining about, and the added chip of Sand would be nice for most opponents, but since the other options here are already good I would pass here. Imagine though if this set some terrain instead for Mimicry stuff, that'd be real cool.

Heavy Defense: Could lead to some interesting stuff, but probably will end up pretty awkward in at least some capacity. It goes without saying that you don't want to lose Boots on a Pokemon like this, so you're basically deciding between Heavy-Duty Boots and running this move given how many of this thing's moveslots are important to it. Choice items also aren't great for this either, as it doesn't have anything great to lock into because its STAB moves are resisted by so much. It still might be fun to run Choice Band and have a 165 BP nuke button that you can then follow up with whatever other attacks you choose into a Pokemon with an item it doesn't want. A big thing that separates this from Trick is that you can run it with Assault Vest, which could be interesting, but I kinda doubt it'll be too great. If that set ends up being prominent the moves you'll need to pick to really do anything are going to be fairly telegraphed and the bulk increase won't be felt most of the time because of the hazard damage. I don't think this is an amazing option but it is very interesting and I can totally see the appeal.

Attack Jump Kick: So uh, Torch Song. With a boatload of PP too. This is the single most straightforward and powerful option on the list. What immediately pops out to me is a set like STAB move / this / Thousand Arrows / one of Spore or Bulk Up, maybe even Toxic or your other STAB move. You kind of need Thousand Arrows on this thing to not auto-lose to any Poison-types or Flying-types, and it's nice for random stuff like Radimite and Fierutor too. I could easily see this move being good enough to shift its role into being a balance breaker meant to use its good bulk to allow itself in and scare specific things out. It's not even like this matches poorly into Slowghast either since Leaf Blade crits can ignore it copying Bulk Up's Defense boosts and your status moves mess with it real hard, but you do still have low Speed and special bulk leaving you easy to force out and making it impossible to win off of this thing alone. This move would buff Cateloon a lot, and although I'm not certain it'd become relevant, it would be a giant favor.

Guard Shift: For all relevant purposes, this is just Psychic coverage. Psychic is a type that only specific Pokemon will benefit from having as coverage and Cateloon just is not one of those, it already does fine into Fighting-types anyways and you run Thousand Arrows for Poison-types. Burn chance and crit chance don't do anything special here and you already have Psyshield Bash which is weaker but would still be capable of accomplishing similar things. Pass.

Tidy Edge: When I talked about Odor Tackle I mentioned that other options were good, and this was mainly the move I was talking about. Compared to it, this move has a slight base power decrease in exchange for a much better secondary effect. As was said before, this meta's Speed tiers are completely out of whack. 91 base Speed actually puts Cateloon in the slower half of Pokemon here. It's definitely not slow but it's not the kind of Pokemon that'll mind giving up its Speed tier or risking getting one that's completely garbage. Whether or not the secondary effect will have any practicality in battle is hard to say because your opponent will know you have this move. At the very least it's nice to have something that everything fast will fear that isn't just your one Spore that goes away while Sleep Clause is active. Not my first choice but I can see this one too.

My favorites are AJK, then Tidy Edge, Heavy Defense, Odor Tackle, none, and lastly Guard Shift. I should close out this post mentioning that I think it's totally fine to approach slates like these with the mindset of "let's make this Pokemon fun/unique to use" instead of "let's make this Pokemon good" if you want to. This meta has 56 Pokemon in total and so many of them are going to be at different power levels, the top dogs will probably force different qualities for a Pokemon to be good that not everything will have, and there are some similar Pokemon here that might just compete way too hard with one another regardless of what buffs they get. There's no possible way every Pokemon is going to end up good in this meta. The question is - do you think it's feasible to make everything at least usable like what a C-Rank in OU is, do you think even that's too hard from a competitive standpoint and so we should entirely focus on making stuff fun and interesting, or do you have some midground opinion where we should be at least trying to balance fun and usability? There isn't a right or wrong answer to this question but it is worth thinking about if you plan on voting here.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Odor Tackle: On top of it being a high BP STAB, there are 8 Rock-types who'd appreciate Sand, and no Sand Stream user in the meta, so there's that. Still not that great.

Heavy Defense: If this mon wasn't originally voted in for Spore, Assault Vest + this move would be a very strong (and unique) option. As it stands though, one strong option forcibly delays another, so that's not fun. Plus there's the fact it wants to run Heavy-Duty Boots too.

Attack Jump Kick: This seems like the best option overall for obvious reasons.

Guard Shift: Seems better than Nature Power on Mimicry + Psychic Surge sets, but those sets are meme in the first place. Not a real buff to this mon.

Tidy Edge: I mean, its base Speed is literally very average. Becoming slower or faster is a 50/50. Doesn't seem reliable enough.

Last edited:
My favorites are AJK, then Tidy Edge, Heavy Defense, Odor Tackle, none, and lastly Guard Shift. I should close out this post mentioning that I think it's totally fine to approach slates like these with the mindset of "let's make this Pokemon fun/unique to use" instead of "let's make this Pokemon good" if you want to. This meta has 56 Pokemon in total and so many of them are going to be at different power levels, the top dogs will probably force different qualities for a Pokemon to be good that not everything will have, and there are some similar Pokemon here that might just compete way too hard with one another regardless of what buffs they get. There's no possible way every Pokemon is going to end up good in this meta. The question is - do you think it's feasible to make everything at least usable like what a C-Rank in OU is, do you think even that's too hard from a competitive standpoint and so we should entirely focus on making stuff fun and interesting, or do you have some midground opinion where we should be at least trying to balance fun and usability? There isn't a right or wrong answer to this question but it is worth thinking about if you plan on voting here.
Cateloon
Bug/Grass
Mimicry / Rocky Payload | Healer
139/114/153/62/41/91
X-Scissor, Bug Buzz, Leaf Blade, Energy Ball, Steam Eruption, Psyshield Bash, Reflect Type, Spore, Nature Power, Outrage, Memento, Dazzling Gleam, Thousand Arrows, Earth Power, Play Rough, Toxic, Bulk Up, Dragon Claw, Cotton Guard, Power-Up Punch | Misty Terrain, Feint Attack, Wrap, Howl, Mirror Coat, Mega Punch, Pound, Bite, Toxic Thread, Steamroller, Kinesis, Mega Kick, Barrage, Teeter Dance, Mat Block, Shock Wave, Confusion, Me First, Snap Trap, Punishment | Endure, Protect, Rest, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Tera Blast

I have zero metagame knowledge. That aside, I don't think it's feasible to make every pokemon usable, but I am not opposed to giving buffs to some (or a lot) of the worst pokemon. I want to lean towards 'fun and interesting,' but I think a middle ground option is the best way to go with this. These moves are also a lot of fun, and the possibilities of having a move with Clangorous Soul as a secondary effect seems amazing.

With that, I want to argue for Tidy Edge > Attack Jump Kick. If you are facing a setup sweeper behind a substitute, you can't spore them, but because speed swap and therefore Tidy Edge ignores sub, you can hit them and steal their speed stat. Sure, it's not going to be as widely applicable or as viable as Attack Jump Kick, but I think it's a lot of fun and I don't want it to go to waste.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Attack Jump Kick (lol name) is clearly the safe pick for buffing the mon, it shifts it towards a balance-breaker role and is strong enough in a vacuum that it should make the bug/grass type at least worth consideration. Tidy Edge is definitely cuter but I have extreme doubts about its actual impact within a game

DuoM2

whao
You may now vote! Since only one option is going to win here, we're going to Please vote for as many options as you'd like, most preferred to least. We'll be using a scoring system similar to one I know Megas For All used at some point that I'll explain below...
Once everyone's votes are in, the first place options are counted across all voters. The option(s) with the least number of votes will be ignored. So let's say Tidy Edge gets 4 first place votes, Attack Jump Kick gets 2, None gets 2, Odor Tackle gets 1 and the rest get 0. The rest get ignored first, so all votes for those get ignored. Next, Odor Tackle has the least, so every vote for Odor Tackle gets ignored. If the user that put Odor Tackle as their first slot put Attack Jump Kick as their next favorite choice of the remaining options, Attack Jump Kick will be counted as having 3 now, so None has the next fewest votes. If the people with None as their first choice now have their next favorite choices as Tidy Edge and Attack Jump Kick, Tidy Edge will now have 5 and Attack Jump Kick will have 4. With those two as the only remaining options, Tidy Edge will win.

If this needs explained further just let me know I don't mind lmao
My votes will be Attack Jump Kick > Tidy Edge > Heavy Defense > Odor Tackle > None. Not voting for Guard Shift because I don't think it would actually buff this.

Also, this meta's base and Ubers formats are both now fully playable! Terastal is currently legal in the main format and Dinostone and Stunecko do not have a sprite which are both errors that will be fixed when this slate's result is decided. In order to play this meta, you'll need to use this server. Fair warning that this server is currently having some issues with my browser but I don't use an especially popular one so you should be fine, and it will be difficult to find games without asking for them in our Discord server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)