OU CCAT - Mark IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Swords Dance Feraligatr
Sheer Force Conkeldurr
Expert Belt Keldeo

Just a note on the DDnite set that is getting quite a few votes, the speed of the suggested EV spread is 236. It should probably be a little higher to ensure the outspeeding of things like min speed Tentacruel, Adamant Breloom, 252 spd Skarmory, ...,

I'm voting for

Double Dance Landorus-T
Offensive Thundurus

I don't usually vote for myself but I've just had a lot of fun building with it.

And thanks for everyone who gave their feedback. i'm glad :)
Posting this a little late, but you said Offensive Thundurus... I'm assuming you mean Tornadus? I think you should fix that

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was literally coming here to change my EV spread a bit, but I saw voting was already taking place. Is that still an option? I'm on my phone at the moment but i would give it enough speed to outspeed at least +1 108s like scarf keldeo when at +2 and I think it's not much more after that to be faster than +1 110s. I have the spread on my computer which I'll get to later but I just wanted to ask if I'm still allowed to change that?

Yea, it's only 1.5 days, but I won't have anytime to monitor this on the weekend, since I'm going for a mini-vacation, so I'ma start play styles.

Trick Room Slowking : 3
Defensive Quagsire : 2
Life Orb Latias : 2
Prankster Sableye : 3
Choice Scarf Heatran : 6
Substitute + Dragon Dance Gyarados : 4
Offensive Tornadus : 2
Specially Defensive Zapdos : 7
Double Booster Landorus : 12
Swords Dance Feraligatr : 2
Defensive Mandibuzz : 2
Calm Mind Latios : 7
Substititute + Dragon Dance Dragonite : 16
Stallbreaker Mew : 3
Substitute Keldeo : 0
Sheer Force Conkeldurr : 4
Expert Belt Keldeo : 1
SubPass Celebi : 0
Acrobatics Scizor : 10

I'm pretty sure this isn't 100% accurate, and the people who didn't type in bold; your votes may have been counted idk. SubDD Dragonite wins! Joeyboy gets a bonus point. The OP will be updated shortly.

Now we will pick our playstyle:

First you mut choose a weather.
  • Rain
  • Sun
  • Sand
  • Weatherless
  • Hail

Now, the play style:
  • Offense
  • Bulky Offense
  • Balance
  • Semi-Stall
  • Stall

Okay, voting will by closed Monday noon, Western Time. Thanks. The OP will be updated ASAP.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I disagree with "picking a weather". I find that stuff naturally comes into the team as you build. So I'm going to not vote on that section.

For the playstyle: bulky offense.

i don't really agree with picking a playstyle or weather since it's rather restricting. rather, by picking partners that best suit sub dd nite, you won't be restricted by the "it has to be offense" or "it has to be stall" mind set.

If we're building the team around Sub-DD Dragonite, I can't see any weather bringing a benefit to that particular set. therefore my vote is for Weatherless.

to suit the play style Dragonite defines I vote for Bulky Offense.

i don't really agree with picking a playstyle or weather since it's rather restricting. rather, by picking partners that best suit sub dd nite, you won't be restricted by the "it has to be offense" or "it has to be stall" mind set.
this exactly, i'd rather we nominated partners for dnite instead of restricting ourselves with a playstyle

Im going to go with Rain right now, I guess to keep multiscale up, it doesn't really matter though, but sand isn't preferable.

Semi-stall (if that's even a thing)

I was about to hate on the whole 'pick a weather/style' thing but I see other people beat me to it. Why can't we just get straight to the partner picking for Dragonite? If someone wants rain or sun they could just nominate Politoed or Ninetales.

Voting for playstyle makes more sense as you will probably have both offensive and defensive pokemon that may compliment another 'mon, but is still an unnecessary restriction... if someone comes up with a really cool and inventive partner, but it doesn't fit whatever playstyle we agreed upon, are we not allowed to choose it (even though everyone may like it)? If yes, wouldn't that make this entire step moot?

Please, lets just get straight to pokemon suggestions and skip this nonsense.

I was just going by the standard rules of CCAT. So I guess you make a good point, Just start nominating guys.

Nomination:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes / Volt Switch

Justification:

SubDD Dragonite loves one thing a lot: Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes allow Dragonite to effective SubRoost stall a lot of the metagame while setting up. Ice Fang Hippowdon, for example, is easily beaten with Toxic Spikes support, but without Toxic Spikes, it would have a better chance of beating it since it could freely fish for a Freeze while not having to Slack Off. Perish Song Politoed no longer only has to tank a weak Dragon Claw and just Protect off the damage, because it has to deal with the tolling Toxic Spikes damage as well. Forretress also has good very good synergy with Dragonite. Dragonite isn't a big fan of Steel-type Pokemon since it has mono-Dragon coverage, so Forretress can simply switch into your opponent's Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc. and just set up hazards next to them and spin. Mamoswine is a huge thorn in Dragonite's side, especially varients with Icicle Spear, and Forretress can come in and 2HKO with Gyro Ball. Forretress would give the team a good Spinner to keep Stealth Rock off the field so Dragonite can retain its Multiscale, and it would provide hazards support and an Ice and Dragon-resist that Dragonite is weak too. Forretress's EV's allow it to 2HKO Latios with Gyro Ball while having maximum Gyro Ball power and Defense to tank hits like Earthquake and Close Combat. Fun fact: in a Forretress war, the slower one wins, so 0 Spe IV's is ideal. Also, it is a toss-up if we want Spikes or Volt Switch, so we'll have to test it out and see which move the team prefers if we do indeed pick Forretress. Escaping Magnezone and gaining momentum is cool, but Spikes for more damage is cool as well.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good man vertex, I too think choosing weather and plystyles are a bad choice so I'm glad you're changing it up a bit :D

Also, Dice is quick on the draw, beat me to Forretress nom :) So I'll take the route of spinner in a different direction.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

AnalMie!! If you want the best Rapid Spinner imo, here it is. It doesn't bring as much support as Forretress but you can be sure it'll spin. Even SpDef Jellicent is 2HKO'd on the switch with LO Thunderbolt. Its also just a fantastic offensive Pokemon in general, outpacing most of the metagame and smashing everything bar resistant walls into bits. Not much more to say other than it'll keep that Multiscale up without being set up fodderto anything not named Ferrobitch

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
This.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, not choosing playstyles or weather right now is the best way to do this. As for teammates, rapid spinners and Toxic Spikes users are some of the best partners, as well as Pokemon to deal with Steel-types. As i prefer going for a semi-stall kind of team in order to give Dragonite the time it needs to truly shine, i think defensive spinners, Toxic Spikes users, and Pokemon to handle Steel-types are the best choices right now. Forretress, Roserade, and Heatran all seem as great choices right now, but Toxic Spikes Roserade seems the most interesting. It gets more switch-in chances than Forretress against the multitude of Water-types rain teams use, and thus sets up way more easy Toxic Spikes, beats 1-on-1 Tentacruel and Starmie (Pokemon that threaten to remove Toxic Spikes), has reliable recovery and can absorb status, especially Scald, and has the awesome Sleep Powder. I want to first hear the opinion of everyone about it, and then i may consider nominating Roserade, after we decide about its moves and EV spread...

Alright; so taking a closer look at Dragonite tells us a few things.

- it is weak to rock
- it is x4 weak to ice
- it is weak to dragon

This immediately draws my attention to a steel type, as steel resists all three of these attacks and is also SE against two of them. Let us take a closer look at possible participants:

Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn can fit on the majority of teams due to it simply being an amazing pokemon. Sadly, it doesn't resist ice due to its grass/steel dual typing, although this may not be a problem because many ice attacks are non-STAB due to the lack of ice type pokemon in OU. Taking a HP ice won't really bother Ferrothorn too much, it has pretty amazing special defense. It resists electric as well - in fact, between Dragonite and Ferrothorn, there are only ghost and ice that go unresisted. Rarely does a pokemon carry one move, so pokemon with strong dual-type attacks become problematic. Weavile is a great example; it has physical ice STAB and grossly outspeeds Dragonite even after +1; it may also carry priority ice shard. Ferrothorn isn't a great switch-in however due to low kick, which is a clean 2HKO (or OHKO if Weavile SDs on the turn). With free turns it can thunder wave, toxic, leech seed, spike or stealth rock.

Forretress

Who doesn't love Forretress (minus gen 3 players who have to deal with it every single battle)? Forretress is much more resilient to physical damage and isn't weak to fighting. As a bonus it can rapid spin, which may prove to be worthwhile due to Dragonite's ability Multiscale. It doesn't resist rock, but has such incredible physical bulk that it won't mind taking stone edge or even fighting moves. Aforementioned Weavile doesn't even 5HKO with low kick and CB Terrakion can't even 2HKO with Stone Edge after stealth rock. It can Volt Switch on incoming ghosts (particularly Jellicent) and go straight back to Dragonite or an appropriate counter/pursuiter. With free turns it can spike, t-spike, stealth rock, rapid spin or volt switch for momentum.

Bronzong

I know what you are thinking, but bare with me for a moment. Bronzong, much like Forretress, is neutral to fighting and has the added bonus of being immune to ground (or neutral to fire if you go for heatproof), taking little to no damage from EdgeQuake. It is also the only viable pokemon to learn a somewhat reliable sleep inducing move in Hypnosis and stealth rock. It is also a solid check to Gliscor, who can just set up with taunt on both Ferrothorn and Forretress. It resists flying to boot; something Dragonite doesn't resist (and neither do Ferro or Forre)... although uncommon, certain Hurricane abuser could really hurt either of the aforementioned pokemons. Choosing Bronzong over Jirachi means you really want that levitate and/or hypnosis.

Scizor

Look, it's Scizor! We all know what Scizor does. A more offensively oriented partner to Dragonite unlike the previous candidates. Sporting priority + technician + STAB bullet punch and STAB U-turn off a monstrous attack stat, Scizor is pretty good at hurting things - and it learns pursuit too! Awesome, that'll teach that ice beaming Starmie. Scizor's bulk is somewhat lacking, but as previously mentioned it is a more offensively oriented partner for Dragonite.

Heatran

One of the better pokemon from DPP and also a steel type is Heatran. Flash fire is a great ability and it has extremely high special bulk. It has a wide variety of moves to its disposal and is immune to both toxic and will-o-wisp (while being able to pack both moves). Lava plume - the fiery equivalent of scald - is a great move. It can also set up stealth rock and check many troublesome sun-team pokemon. It is very weak to Dugtrio however. Sub/protect/torment/lava plume sets are hilarious.

Jirachi

Stealth rock? Check. Thunder wave? Check. Can be either physical or special? Check. U-turn and/or volt switch? Check. Hax? Double-check. Jirachi is great; sub/cm is beyond annoying and body slam (or t-wave) + iron head is extremely debilitating. Jirachi has less support options compared to aforementioned defensive pokemons though and is also less of a threat compared to Scizor. It's more of a middle-ground support'ish pokemon in most cases, although CM offensive sets are not unheard of.

Skarmory

If you have played gen 3, this big metal bird has almost certainly had vigorous intercourse with your mother at least once. Kind of like Bronzong but with no Hypnosis, rock resist or special defense. Does this mean Bronzong is better? Not quite, because Skarmory learns phazing, a reliable recovery move, spikes and has a nice offensive option in brave bird. It can also use taunt to win against opposing Forretresses and Ferrothorns.

Just some ideas, not really nominating anything yet. Will post my nomination later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)