np: LC - Smells Like Teen Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding it very hard to play more than a few matches in a row. This metagame is awful. Every single team is Missy, Gligar, Meditite, Vanha, Scraggy, filler (usually Chinchou or something boring). The trouble is that even though I know what I'm going to be fighting every match, the combination in itself covers everything. There is nothing that fits the usual "anti-metagame" role as there usually is (not to toot my own horn, but I'm usually the one to find it).

MixCroak wins vs Missy and Vanha, then Slowpoke vs Meditite and Gligar, Cottonee or Scarfed Mienfoo for Scraggy, and then something for Chou/Magnemite (maybe another Chinchou :3) just tossing a couple of ideas that have result nice to my team

I'm finding it very hard to play more than a few matches in a row. This metagame is awful. Every single team is Missy, Gligar, Meditite, Vanha, Scraggy, filler (usually Chinchou or something boring). The trouble is that even though I know what I'm going to be fighting every match, the combination in itself covers everything. There is nothing that fits the usual "anti-metagame" role as there usually is (not to toot my own horn, but I'm usually the one to find it).
This.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
and everyone hates me for being ban happy :(

discussion about the best scarfers, let's have it. most stuff doesn't have the power to be offensive without a life orb or something in an eviolite meta, so what makes the few good scarfers work while the role has basically collapsed (scarfchop was the best sweeper imo in gen 4 for example)? reply to this however you want, this thread is dead so i'm making us talk about stuff. listing mons is lame though.

and everyone hates me for being ban happy :(

discussion about the best scarfers, let's have it. most stuff doesn't have the power to be offensive without a life orb or something in an eviolite meta, so what makes the few good scarfers work while the role has basically collapsed (scarfchop was the best sweeper imo in gen 4 for example)? reply to this however you want, this thread is dead so i'm making us talk about stuff. listing mons is lame though.
Chinchou, that is all. checks Missy, Vanha, Glig, and everything ever.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Chinchou is obviously the *best* scarfer but it's not the only one. and the utility of volt switch while threatening grounds (gligar) with hydro pump (ice beam) along with high power moves is why. oh and bulky is always cool.

how about some other good scarfers? if we can drift away from bog standard dudes that's cool =)

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Bossdreavus all the way:

Misdreavus (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Thunderbolt
- Trick

Scarf Missy D is definitely this round's mvp for my team. It has saved my ass handfuls of times and is just great overall. It checks the aforementioned whored top used pokes in LC (Meditite, Gligar, Carvanha w TBolt, other Misdreavus), along with being able to screw over defensive pokes that want to wall it, with Trick (Ferroseed, etc.). Also, Misdreavus is probably one of the most hardest pokes to switch into if you lack specific, somewhat shaky, counters such as, Stunky or Munchlax. Will-O-Wisp / Substitute can still possibly deal with them to an extent. It has unpredictability on its side as well, whereas scarfers such as Chinchou, are painfully obvious (no offense bulkychou) and have more solid switchins compared to Misdreavus. 18 SpA isn't too bad either. Also, it outspeeds fucking everything, bar Drilbur in ss and stuff.

Other scarfers like Snover I've had good experiences with in other rounds, but atm I don't think it's too smart to run one due to the current usage stats. Although other people have said they still had success with it so I dunno. I have had seen a rise in Hippopotas usage lately, and Snover can really fuck with SS teams.

Team B.O.S.S.'s Misdreavus... good old times...

Anyways, no love for Snover, who can Blizzspam or Elekid, who already outspeeds the entire metagame and can use LO? Scarf Houndour also does a number on the metagame since nothing can take 2 Fire Blasts except for Frillish and Slowpoke who get owned by Dark Pulse. There's also Scarf Magnemite who can volt switch outta everything like Chinchou, but also has 20 Special attack and a steel typing that gives him resistances to ghost and dark, which is useful, as well as having magnet pull.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Chinchou is obviously the *best* scarfer but it's not the only one. and the utility of volt switch while threatening grounds (gligar) with hydro pump (ice beam) along with high power moves is why. oh and bulky is always cool.

how about some other good scarfers? if we can drift away from bog standard dudes that's cool =)
Indeed Chinchou's one of the best scarfers currently, but Gastly has been really good this round from what I've seen and I've been using it effectively with this set.

Gastly (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 68 HP / 40 Def / 200 SAtk / 200 Spd
Nature: Modest
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Ice
-Sludge Bomb
-Thunderbolt

It's a great revenge killer in late game, I like to use it over Missy since of it's higher Special attack which is pretty strong.

Magnemite with volt-swich and traping steels capabilities

Another great scarfer is Meowth with switcheroo, yeah, nobody expects it, it's just funny to see scarfed ferro and return still hurts

The metagame is so stale. Everyone and their mother is running gligar, missy, scraggy, and carvanha.... the worst part is that this team combination is patently uncounterable. Is this metagame even possible to fix?

On another note, scarf elekid and pawniard are surprisingly good. only problem is that these are weak to ground... but there are ways to compensate for that.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
The metagame is so stale. Everyone and their mother is running gligar, missy, scraggy, and carvanha.... the worst part is that this team combination is patently uncounterable. Is this metagame even possible to fix?

On another note, scarf elekid and pawniard are surprisingly good. only problem is that these are weak to ground... but there are ways to compensate for that.
Of course it is by banning the pokemon(s) that break the current metagame. Personalty I believe thats only Missy and Meditite.

Bossdreavus all the way:

EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Thunderbolt
- Trick
I love it when people run this Missy because Pawniard utterly destroys teams if you try and take out Gligar with Icy Wind.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Lol you basically quoted Heysup. Anyways, stale doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. It just means that it has stabalized and everything has settled down. Except for Missy and Tite imo

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm wondering how people are playing around Acrobatics Gligar. That thing is everywhere. Also Meditite is probably the most broken thing right now. It would be one thing if you knew what four moves it was running but it chooses between about 7 now.

I'm wondering how people are playing around Acrobatics Gligar. That thing is everywhere. Also Meditite is probably the most broken thing right now. It would be one thing if you knew what four moves it was running but it chooses between about 7 now.
I am so proud. Just had to say that. I run Scarfchou on almost all my teams nowadays, and that's a pretty good switch-in to Gligar.

Lol you basically quoted Heysup. Anyways, stale doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. It just means that it has stabalized and everything has settled down. Except for Missy and Tite imo
Depends what is meant by stale. This scenario implies something is wrong because you face the same 6-7 Pokemon in every battle and there's nothing you can do to counter them. A stabilized metagame with centralization is fine as long as there is a way to beat the centralized Pokemon in question - and in this case there really isn't.

Nails

Double Threat
croagunk, lileep, and deino are the only switches into vanha. gligar (not that acrobatics set but eviolite), bulky fighters, and missy all beat 2/3 of those. honestly, it's rediculous. the top mons have great synergy with each other, you literally just change up 2-3 slots on every team. this has been posted before but w/e.

an offensive eviolite snover seems sort of anti meta atm. ice/grass has cool coverage in this meta and it can tank a hit too. bluffing scarf and nailing slowpoke with a giga drain is fun, and none of the standard guys can switch into blizzards and not die to giga drain. further, it rapes chinchou with no hp fire, which is anyways fun.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Thanks nails, all that lileep usage is mostly from me, hehe.

Ok so far from what I've seen, these are on at least every other team I have ever faced on the ladder this round:

EVs: 36 HP / 236 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gligar (F) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost

Meditite (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Now we've seen meditite and misdreavus for a while, but I'd like to see some opinions about Flight Gem Gligar. IMO it's a fucking stupid set and I hate it, however, it is very effective in what it does. Almost nothing can take a Swords Dance Acrobatics, especially when Flight Gem'd (for god's sake it can OHKO Slowpoke max/max+ with it, along with other Gligar). Before, Scraggy's and Meditite's all over the land would laugh as they tank an aerial ace that fails to OHKO, while they DD and Ice Punch/Ice Punch back respectively, but now this is no longer the case (due to everyone including me, whoring out the above Gligar).

Almost nothing can take the above two moves, excluding odd and/or sucky stuff like Bronzor atm, so it's nearly impossible to switch into. Cough up anti-Gligar sets/pokes people? Maybe even ridiculously sounding ones, because everyone would have laughed at this set before too, and now look at the stupid bastard.

edit: imagine how fun that set would be with substitute sand veil in the sand, maybe oran berry too. what was one of the reasons garchomp was banned for again?

Nails

Double Threat
elekid can ohko with ice punch because of no eviolite.

drillbur wrecks it with lo hp ice because of no eviolite

<fast sweeper> kills it with <ice move> because it no longer has 1.5x defenses

Thanks nails, all that lileep usage is mostly from me, hehe.
Hey now, I started the Lileep usage monthes ago and have been using it consistently ever since then :p It's so such a good special wall. Non-NP Missy and Gastly can't touch it, and it walls Carvanha to death also. Such a beast in a sandstorm.

My thoughts on the metagame: Tite and Missy need to be banned. I want to see Carvanha in another round because it will be bulkier with those two gone.

vanha, tite, and missy all need at least suspect this round imo.

Acro gligar is a stupid set that does absurd amounts of damage. Since steels are gone, there's basically no resistances to tank it. However, it's revenged so easily by anything faster than it with an ice/STAB move. Usually I have to sac a mon and then revenge kill it...

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Has anyone used DST Shell Smash Clamperl lately? Its not hard to set up at all due to decent Defense, can still take weak priority at -1, and petty much OHKOs everything after a Shell Smash. Only Tentacool can check it reliably (if for some reason its not running Hidden Power Electric). Standard Ferroseed is OHKO'd on average with a single layer of Spikes + SR.

I'm quite surprised that is hasn't caught on here yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)