Project Lure That Threat: LC Edition: Week 7 - Foongus

That isn't as realistic of a scenario as you make it out to be since now you don't even have mold breaker to threaten stuff like sturdy mag that you would force out otherwise, what is that setting up on? Besides the one application of luring snivy, why would I want to use that set lol especially since you're giving up rapid spin for it
I'll make this clearer and easier to understand

- Snivy almost always switches into drilbur because it's a decent af check for it
- Drilbur can set up sandstorm while snivy switches in for a prediced EQ
- You give up rapid spin because you want to eliminate snivy instead
- How will you know it isn't mold breaker before you sacrfice it? Since everyon thinks Drilbur holds MB, you don't wanna risk so everyone switches out
- Drilbur's sandstorm is for speed and sweep potential, mold breaker has its own other uses

Again, this isn't my set, I'm just explaining how it works

I'll make this clearer and easier to understand

- Snivy almost always switches into drilbur because it's a decent af check for it
- Drilbur can set up sandstorm while snivy switches in for a prediced EQ
- You give up rapid spin because you want to eliminate snivy instead
- How will you know it isn't mold breaker before you sacrfice it? Since everyon thinks Drilbur holds MB, you don't wanna risk so everyone switches out
- Drilbur's sandstorm is for speed and sweep potential, mold breaker has its own other uses

Again, this isn't my set, I'm just explaining how it works
You will know it isn't running Mold breaker because it won't print a message when it switches in.

By using your logic, Snivy "almost always switches in on drilbur"; would this not mean you can just get it on the switch???

also i didn't wanna post here cus this is just turning into a quotefest which no one likes but you weren't on PS so w/e

edit- also i understood how the set works lol, you pretty much disregarded EVERYTHING I said

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah you can totally just hit Snivy on the switch. I just thought you could play this Drilbur kinda like Rain Dance Mantyke yknow? Anyways it's still an effective lure because Snivys still switch in on Drilbur, especially non-Mold Breaker ones cause then they don't fear Rock Tomb!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Yeah you can totally just hit Snivy on the switch. I just thought you could play this Drilbur kinda like Rain Dance Mantyke yknow? Anyways it's still an effective lure because Snivys still switch in on Drilbur, especially non-Mold Breaker ones cause then they don't fear Rock Tomb!

Think about what you just said.

not serious, just messing with you

Bidoof @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Simple
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Substitute / Superpower

236 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Bidoof: 16-19 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It actives Absorb Bulb. +1 if hit by a grass attack. With Simple it means +2.

+2 236+ Atk Bidoof Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Snivy: 27-33 (128.5 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

if you fear Glare (but who use glare on bidoof), just sub on the switch :)
see one mon being killed by bidoof will be very violent and he will ragequit, so it is a good lure.

Bidoof @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Simple
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Substitute / Superpower

236 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Bidoof: 16-19 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It actives Absorb Bulb. +1 if hit by a grass attack. With Simple it means +2.

+2 236+ Atk Bidoof Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Snivy: 27-33 (128.5 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

if you fear Glare (but who use glare on bidoof), just sub on the switch :)
see one mon being killed by bidoof will be very violent and he will ragequit, so it is a good lure.
Why would snivy come in on bidoof? To be a lure it needs to bait the person to switch snivy in, and curse bidoof would just KO with a return regardless, or even a normal return would deter the snivy from coming in.

Why would snivy come in on bidoof? To be a lure it needs to bait the person to switch snivy in, and curse bidoof would just KO with a return regardless, or even a normal return would deter the snivy from coming in.
This is a joke dude
tbh that's quite difficult to see a mon that does not OHKO/2HKO bj snivy

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The issue with your and Infamy's lures, svalk, is that they don't actually lure in Snivy. Sure, they beat Snivy right nice, but what reason would any Snivy have to switch in on a Buneary or a Bidoof? Drilbur is threatened by Snivy, Cottonee is free Leaf Storm bait, etc, and thats the point of the lures.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ThatCrazyRussian wins last week with the innovative Cottonee set. It can function as well as needed on the average team while untraditionally neutralizing Snivy. Congrats to him for knowing what a lure is... and being able to produce one for a difficult pokemon.

This week's threat to lure is:

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Pawniard is the most powerful Knock Off user in Little Cup. Because of its ability to remove an item with an extremely powerful move, Pawniard is very hard to switch into. Pawniard has access to Swords Dance and Sucker Punch, often sweeping teams with the right support. Dark / Steel gives Pawniard some fairly useful resistances and switch in opportunities to pressure the opposing team, and Sucker Punch acts as a safety net versus most sweepers, making its removal key.

Please keep your memes at a pleasurable level.​

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Close Combat

This is basically just the standard Snubbull set that I use with the 4th move being Close Combat over what I normally run. Putting CC on this set allows you to retain most of your utility that you normally get out of Snubbs, with the added benefit of absolutely destroying any incoming Pawns. Granted, Snubbs very commonly runs EQ so, people might not be super gung-ho about switching Pawn into it, but in my experience using Snubbull, people do like to switch in their Pawns because they can tank an EQ, so I can definitely see this working.

Cottonee @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 144 SpA / 36 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power (Fighting)
- Encore

This is actually my pawn lure for my cottonzig team, and it works like wonders. Since fast cotton hits 17 speed, it outspeeds pawn and can reliably land hits even after the switchin. Basically everyone likes to switch in their pawn when they see a giga drain coming, and almost always expects cotton to switch out, trying to take advantage of it. HPfight cotton blows the opponent's mind up so hard. A combination of giga drain + HP fight on standard eviolite pawn has a nice chance to KO, and that's even more when rocks are up. You don't have to worry about sucker punch or swords dance cuz you're fairy type and you have encore ready too. Be careful if you see too much damage with a giga drain tho cuz then it could be scarf pawn. Tbh, the best thing about this set is that it feels good when you see the chunk of damage on pawn as it screams to death. Skillfully throw your memento after you murder pawn.

Last edited:
Gothita @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 120 Def / 160 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick / Reflect
- Thunderbolt

Not a lure in the traditional sense but after it has KO'd something slower like a skrelp or a timburr, of which the latter you can actually switch into, pawniard comes in and if SR is up you KO after tanking the knock off even after 1-2 SR switch ins prior. EVs let you live mach punch from timburr + SR damage + pawniard koff with 1 hp but eh still alive. Trick steals eviolites if you don't need the colbur and reflect helps setting up stuff like omanyte vs fighting types. Thunderbolt is for vullaby which you can also "lure".

I didn't post here in a while :')

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 236 Atk / 40 Def / 200 Spe
Impish Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Anyways we all hate facing a Pawniard while using a Shellder team since it needs to be removed before attempting to set up, however this set fixes that problem the only thing you'll need is having rocks up or running a non-negative nature for SpA but the latter option isn't that solid and getting rocks up/giving Pawniard 1 HP prior damage is easier, and that's of course if they're running 156 SpD which isn't always used:

+2 0- SpA Shellder Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Fletchling @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Natural Gift
- Roost
- Swords Dance

The classic natural gift fletchling. Normally, one of the best Fletchling counters is Pawniard, since Pawniard can easily win versus Diglett if played correctly, thus being one of few mons that doesn't just auto lose to FletchDig. Switching Pawniard in puts immense pressure on the opposing team, since they now have to decide what is being Knocked Off, since there are so few actual Pawniard counters. Fletchling is also free setup bait for Pawniard, since usually you want to switch out or risk being KOed by Iron Head. However, with this set you straight up beat Pawniard. Its an easy OHKO on the switchin with Salac berry being Fighting-typed. On top of that, it has utility that might not otherwise be used (such as in the case of a Watmel Berry). Fletchling actually has decent enough bulk to not die every time someone uses a status move or non-attacking move. It can live a surprising number of neutral mid-power moves. You can easily get low enough to activate a Salac Berry, thus rending other Priority useless (since now something like fast Cottonee cannot Memento or Stun Spore you, Carvanha can no longer Protect+Aqua to revenge you, Bunnelby cannot Quick Attack you, Vulpix cannot Quick Attack you, and Diglett / Stunky can't Sucker you). This is my lure for this round.

I didn't post here in a while :')
you've never even posted in this thread, on top of that don't you have teams to be rating?

Aipom @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fury Swipes
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- U-turn

Aipom is always an annoying little shit, and more often than not, people will want to use little pointy boy to deal with annoying shit. Pawn will obviously switch-in predicting a Fake Out cuz it eats fake outs for brekky, lunchy and din-din, and then it gets obliterated by that Brick Break.
Aipom also gains the power to hit other rock and steel types (except ferroseed, that fat little cocoon) for alright damage. BUT, if you miss that brick break twice (one on the switch-in, one right after that) you'll be forced to eat a Knock Off and then it only has a small chance to OHKO. But if you miss a 100% accurate move twice you deserve to lose.

196 Atk Life Orb Aipom Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 26-31 (123.8 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
156 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Aipom: 15-18 (65.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Aipom Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Brick Break is the main slash on the main Aipom Analysis set. I'm not sure how that is meant to be something unexpected to kill Pawniard.
Even though it's on the analysis, people don't usually choose the BB cuz they often want fake out for the slot instead. I guess it might be a matter of taking the risk or not

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Idk if I'm too late but here's something I've been experimenting with lately

Anorith @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Brick Break
- Knock Off/Rock Blast

Anorith has a very nice attack stat hitting 19 at level 5.

Get up rocks. Opponent Switches out into Pawniard. Brick Break. RIP in pieces.

236 Atk Anorith Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 20-28 (95.2 - 133.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
156 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Anorith: 10-13 (47.6 - 61.9%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
156 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Anorith: 18-24 (85.7 - 114.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (Scarf Pawniard)

You might be thinking is that all you run brick break for? Well it lives Extreme speed from Zigzagoon and KOs it with brick break. Fletchling expects a rock blast and goes for a roost and you can brick break it. Also it can knock off a lot of stuff and it's speed and attack allows it to clean up late game if neccesary.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yagura wins last week(s) with that very powerful Shellder set. It changes the dynamics of Shellder teams granting them more flexibility and increases Shellder's ability to break through teams quickly.
This week's threat to lure is:

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 116 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thief
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
Thanks to its good defensive typing and ability, Snubbull is able to function as an excellent pivot on offensive teams due to a wonderful movepool, both offensively and defensively, combined with a rather high damage output, allow it to simultaneously support its own team and threaten the opposition. In particular, Snubbull carves itself a niche as one of the tier's premier Fighting-type checks. However, Snubbull has the ability to annoy physical sweepers due to Intimidate cutting their much needed power. With Snubbull present, Shellder, Fletchling, and Tirtouga generally cannot function exceedingly well.

Please keep your memes at a pleasurable level.​

Last edited:

Axew @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 68 HP / 220 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Superpower

Axew is great because its Outrage is stupidly powerful and most teams don't carry anything that resists its coverage. If the opposing team has a Snubbull or a Spritzee, you can Swords Dance on anything you force out and then just Iron Tail the Snubbull as it comes in, hoping to take nothing from an Outrage.

Melon

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 36 HP / 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave

Snubbull can usually switch into Vullaby, drop it's attack w/ Intimidate and threaten Vulla out with Play Rough. With Weak Armor Nasty Plot Vullaby, you can NP on the switch and OHKO after rocks, then proceed to make fun of your opponent for thinking Snubbull would check Vullaby by calling them worthless noobs, or worse than Omastar42.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)