Event Discussion

You can get plushie keychains if you pre-order through Pokemoncenter.com.
That's not nearly as enticing as the artbooks Japan has, though. :<

And just in case anyone's not aware, pre-ordering Pokemon Legends: Arceus comes with a plushie as well.
A few retailers have ones too - I think I saw Gamestop offering pins and Target had a notebook/journal?

Shiny Zamazenta looks clean as hell, but of course we don't get it here in the States. I mean I suppose it's karma for...everything else
Well, they will likely come to everyone else at some point next year with some other promotion or as Battle Spot prizes I assume. I don't think there's any special poke that's been <region only> for more than a year in last couple gens.

Well, they will likely come to everyone else at some point next year with some other promotion or as Battle Spot prizes I assume. I don't think there's any special poke that's been <region only> for more than a year in last couple gens.
Mew took 5 gens(Emerald until Gen VIII-era Pokemon Go), Genesect took 3(Gen V until Also Gen VIII era Pokemon Go), and Arceus STILL isn't availble as Shiny outside of Japan and I think either Hong Kong or South Korea.

Mew took 5 gens(Emerald until Gen VIII-era Pokemon Go), Genesect took 3(Gen V until Also Gen VIII era Pokemon Go), and Arceus STILL isn't availble as Shiny outside of Japan and I think either Hong Kong or South Korea.
I said of last couple gens for a reason. It's when the wi-fi distribution trend started. And I am pretty confident that every event Poke released so far in gen 7 and 8 has been (eventually) been available to everyone.

I said of last couple gens for a reason. It's when the wi-fi distribution trend started. And I am pretty confident that every event Poke released so far in gen 7 and 8 has been (eventually) been available to everyone.
Well, let's check!

2016 Japan Exclusive Events:
Celebrate Alolan Vulpix (pokemon center sapporo)
Celebrate Comfey, Eevee & Pikachu (pokemon center birthday gifts)

It's uh....a good thing you specified Gen 7 because otherwise this list would be much, much longer. I will note the oddity that only non-japan companies got those ORAS-era Mythic 20th annivesrary events. Bit of a reverse situation than usual, eh?

2017:
Meloetta, Manaphy, Hoopa - Pokemon Scrap distribution. Aw man these were level 15 too...
Rotom - LINE
Shiny Mimikyu - a tie in with Pokemon Center's ghost line
Mimikyu, Ditto (with a Light Ball), Pikachu, Pikachu (Holdhands, Happy Hour) - Pikachu Outbreak
Jirachi - Tanabata
Charizard, Piplup, Lucario - I Choose You 7-11 Distribution. Going to skip ahead a bit here: These 3 were not released with the western release of the movie. If something was tied to a movie and released the following year I'm skipping it.
Lunatone & Solrock - Daisuki club Mystery Files
Mew - Another 7-11 ICY distirbution
Ho-oh - Movie theater
Victini - They rennovated a pokemon center
Lillie's Vulpix, Kiawe's Turtonator, Mallow's Steenee - Pokemon Festival
Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon - Pokemon Center tie in with an Eevee line
Binding Band Bewear - Pokemon Center Spring Festival
Goomy, Mareanie, Oranguru, Passimian, Turtonator, Drampa - Pokemon Center easter eggs
Sweet Heart Pikachu - A donation gift (this one recurs so i'll ignore it moving forward)
Machamp - Saori's Machamp

For what it's worth, America got Exeggutor (World Championship) & Arcanine (another battle competition), America & Europe both got Salazzle & Lycanroc (TCG tie ins). For...*glances at the above list* all that's worth....

2018:
Let's go Celebrate Chansey
Jirachi - Tanabata (I am pretty sure a tanabata jirachi has been released every single year in japan....was this the entire reason it got into swsh...?)
Golduck -Ryota's Golduck (for the japanese regionals)
Pikachu, Snorlax - Pokemon Cafe opening
Mienshao, Cofagrigus, Honchkrow, Mightyena, Crobat, Nidoking - Pokemon villains give away
Arceus - CoroCoro giveaway
Corsola - NicoNico give away
Shiny Groudon, Shiny Kyogre - Pokemon Center distribution

Some but not all the legends were given away in America & Europe again.

2019:
G-Max Snorlax - Pokemon Festa
SWSH Pikachu, Eevee - Pokemon Center birthday gifts
USUM Shiny Necrozma, Let's Go Shiny Krabby - Secret Member Club
Nidoqueen - Japan Regional Championships

Surprisignly few events over all in 2019, incidentally.

Lucky Egg Chansey - Pokemon Mister Donut
Marshadow, Volcanion, Genesect - Mythical Distribution (interestingly, South Korea got these in 2021)
Milcery (Star Sweet), Milcery (Ribbon Sweet) - Pokemon Center Birthdays
G-Max Lapras, G-Max Coalossal - World Hobby Fair

Most of the distributions here were wi-fi events and I kind of wonder if the pandemic forced their hand here.

South Korea, specifically, got a shiny amoonguss because of the Championships

Japan championships got a Torkoal
in exchange, america & europe got a shiny toxtricity for the TCG

In conclusion events are a land of contrast.
At the very least I expect japan to get the shiny wolves, though. They made art for them and everything...

I appreciate that you went and researched it (Was a interesting read even) though..

I'll be honest I just meant stuff like shiny legendaries (aka, the ones that are shiny locked, es Tapus in gen 7) as well as Mythicals not present in any games that would otherwise only be obtainable that way.
I never had any interest in keeping track of arbitrary otherwise perfectly normal pokemon whose only unique perk was being in a cherish ball, I know I'm weird :psygrump:

I appreciate that you went and researched it (Was a interesting read even) though..

I'll be honest I just meant stuff like shiny legendaries (aka, the ones that are shiny locked, es Tapus in gen 7) as well as Mythicals not present in any games that would otherwise only be obtainable that way.
I never had any interest in keeping track of arbitrary otherwise perfectly normal pokemon whose only unique perk was being in a cherish ball, I know I'm weird :psygrump:
In that case it's basically just Necrozma, yeah. Which is frankly the weirdest one. I'm sure you could have slapped that bad boy into a trainer club newsletter or something.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I think this counts as an Event thus why I'm posting it here.

The Pokemon Company has announced a contest which used to be Japanese only will now be accepting entries for the US: The yearly TCG Illustration contest. It is what it says on the tin, every year they pick a batch a Pokemon and a theme, ask people to submit their drawings, and they pick winners who get their drawing made into an official promo card and a cash prize. It'll run from October 12th to January 31st, here are the details.

Now, from that alone it sounds pretty awesome... but then I look into the details and there's some decisions I raise an eyebrow to. But to begin, here are the selected Pokemon and the theme of the drawing:
  • Pokemon: Bulbasaur, Charizard, Pikachu, Arcanine, Galarian Rapidash, Scizor, Greninja & Cramorant
  • Theme: Pokemon's Daily Life
Interesting choice with Galarian Rapidash and Cramorant, and the combination of Scizor and "Daily Life". I have no art skill what so ever, but I can imagine a few fun image ideas:

• Bulbasaur sunbathing in a flower field.
  • Charizard cooking curry using its tail as the fire and wings as the fan.
  • A sunglasses wearing Pikachu relaxing in a beach chair & cold drink in hand, like Chuuster in SM/USUM in the Hano Grand Resort.
  • Arcanine playing frisbee.
  • Two Galarian Rapidash dueling each other with their horns.
  • Scizor is doing arts & crafts that involves cutting paper.
  • Greninja doing target practice with it Water Shurikens while blindfolded (with its tongue) and balancing a bucker of water on its head.
  • Cramorant trying to choke down more Arrokuda than it could.

That out of the way, let's discuss the winners:
  • 1 Grand Prize (Either Country): Drawing made into Promo Card & wins $5,000.
  • 2 Runner-Ups (One for Japan, one from US): Drawings made into Promo Card & both win $3,000.
  • 2 Second Runner-Ups (Either Country): Both win $1,000.
  • 15 Judges' Award (Either Country): All win $500.
Now, 20 winners looks like a good amount... except only 3 of them will have their drawing made into promo cards. Now, I get these will be limited print thus they don't want to dedicate too many machines to them, but at the same time they listed 8 Pokemon. How about each Pokemon will have a Grand Prize Winners that'll have their drawing made into a card, 2 Runner-Ups for each that will just win some cash, and finally 9 Judges Awards. With the actually Runner-Ups being, you know, runner-ups and not having their drawing made into a card you don't need the Second Runner-Ups category. And if you're wondering why I shrunk the Judges' Award down to 9, well, that's how many Judges there are:
  • Tsunekazu Ishihara (The Pokemon Company, President)
  • Kenji Okubo (The Pokemon Company International, President)
  • Hirokazu Tanaka (Creatures, Inc. President)
  • Yuji Kitano (Creatures, Inc. Senior Executive Director)
  • Atsuko Ujiie (Creatures, Inc. Executive Director, CG Studio Art Director)
  • Satoru Nagaya (Creatures, Inc. Art Director)
  • Kouki Saitou (Pokemon TCG Official Illustrator)
  • Tomokazu Komiya (Pokemon TCG Official Illustrator)
  • AKIRA EGAWA (Pokemon TCG Official Illustrator)
We all recognize Ishihara and some who actually read the illustrator on the bottom of Pokemon cards may recognize AKIRA (mostly cause they capitalize their whole name), but everyone else are probably "new names" to the casual fan. Also can't help but notice all of them are Japanese, even the president of the International portion of The Pokemon Company. Not saying that'll affect their judging for the 1st place pick, infact to avoid possible bias they should judge the illustration without knowing the artist's nationality. Still, couldn't find at least some US staff members? Actually, I also notice no GameFreak employee; while he's British I think James Turner would have been up to being a judge. Thinking about is, is there any English TCG Official Illustrators; I'm looking through Bulbapedia's list and getting a "no" vibe?

Well, what's done has been done, this is the first year they're allowing for US submissions and hopefully will not be the last (and they'll open submissions from other countries as well, and maybe get some international Judges). I'll look forward to seeing what the Judges pick sometime in February next year.

Maybe I'm just not creative (it's almost certainly that) but Scizor is one of those Pokemon where I have no idea what it'd do in it's daily life. It's a hard Pokemon to imagine doing anything besides battling. Even Scyther has more ideas for daily life stuff, with it's big ol' choppers. What is Scizor doing with his clamps? Even cutting Paper like Pikachu3151111 mentioned sounds more suited to Scyther.

Again I'm not a very creative person (which is odd considering how often I daydream and disassociate in school) so maybe I'm just being dumb. I agree that Scizor is a very odd Pokemon to have here, but hey, maybe it'll lead to some cool and creative ideas...if people elect to draw it instead of the easier choices like Bulbasaur or Pikachu of course.

Also Greninja using it's tongue scarf as a blindfold is a really clever idea, even if it's still really gross.

Bulbasaur: Spreading pollen and stuff to help grow flowers...this probably makes no sense but I think it'd be cute.
Charizard: Helping a trainer navigate through a dark forest with it's flame tail.
Pikachu: Playing in the rain absorbing lightning with its Lightning Rod ability for fun.
Arcanine: An Arcanine mom carrying its Growlithe puppies to a comfy and safe hole. Or nest? Do dogs have nests?
Galarian Rapidash: A Galarian Rapidash standing on top of a waterfall, with a rainbow over it.
Scizor: Uh...maybe it's carrying an egg safely inside it's clampers? Like an adopted Togepi egg? I'm drawing a blank.
Greninja: Using it's tongue to try and fish.
Cramorant: Trying to gorge a Pikachu, and being chased by said Pikachu's brethren.

Yeah in case you couldn't tell I'm not that creative.

Actually maybe Scizor was chosen because it's a pokemon with a fairly humanoid shape (unlike scyther, it even stands straight up), which would normally allow for a variety of fairly "easy" poses and ideas, but also it has giant (but not TOO giant) pincers instead of hands so it leads to a bigger stretch.

Meanwhile the others either have more defined aesthetics (bulbasaur is a cute grass type, even if it didn't have vines for super easy hand stuff there's a billion garden scenes you can do), are based on more distinct body type (Dog. Horse. Bird.) or have like...hands.
It's the hard mode pokemon for the contest.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Even Scyther has more ideas for daily life stuff, with it's big ol' choppers. What is Scizor doing with his clamps? Even cutting Paper like Pikachu3151111 mentioned sounds more suited to Scyther.
A lot of my suggestions more fall into the "rule of funny". Would Scizor be adequate at delicately cutting paper? Probably not. BUT it is a funny image. Another idea I suppose could it be cutting berries up to make a berry salad.

Bulbasaur: Spreading pollen and stuff to help grow flowers...this probably makes no sense but I think it'd be cute.
Charizard: Helping a trainer navigate through a dark forest with it's flame tail.
Pikachu: Playing in the rain absorbing lightning with its Lightning Rod ability for fun.
Arcanine: An Arcanine mom carrying its Growlithe puppies to a comfy and safe hole. Or nest? Do dogs have nests?
Galarian Rapidash: A Galarian Rapidash standing on top of a waterfall, with a rainbow over it.
Scizor: Uh...maybe it's carrying an egg safely inside it's clampers? Like an adopted Togepi egg? I'm drawing a blank.
Greninja: Using it's tongue to try and fish.
Cramorant: Trying to gorge a Pikachu, and being chased by said Pikachu's brethren.
I think most of those are fun ideas.
  • In the anime we've seen Venusaur help with growing plants with their pollen, not hard to see Bulbasaur able to do the same on a smaller scale.
  • Wolves have dens so I'd assume that is what the Growlithe family would have too.
  • If you're drawing a blank because you're having a problem working how Scizor does things with its claws, maybe go with that as a joke. Can show Scizor trying to do things but having difficulty doing them because it has claws instead of hands. Thinking things like trying to collect sticks, unable to fit its giant claws through a normal size hole, and awkwardly trying to push something.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone not received the Dada Zarude+Shiny Celebi codes? I signed up for the Trainers' Newsletter about a month ago and I hear the codes have been rolling out today since around two hours ago and I still don't see the codes in my inbox despite having regularly received newsletters from TPC this past month or so.

A few people in the OI Discord have said they got theirs, so I'm worried maybe I got unlucky and they will never reach me :(. I hope this is not the case...

Has anyone not received the Dada Zarude+Shiny Celebi codes? I signed up for the Trainers' Newsletter about a month ago and I hear the codes have been rolling out today since around two hours ago and I still don't see the codes in my inbox despite having regularly received newsletters from TPC this past month or so.

A few people in the OI Discord have said they got theirs, so I'm worried maybe I got unlucky and they will never reach me :(. I hope this is not the case...
I got mine, which utterly shocked me because BOY DID I NOT LAST TIME.
Do you use gmail? They go to the "Promotions" tab

Yes, I use Gmail, and I checked the Promotions Tab specifically since I know that's where most of the stuff TPC sends me ends up.

I still haven't seen anything from them today.
Sometimes they do take time to go out. I'd just keep waiting, maybe check the spam folder just in case. some people last time had their code emails go there but all the normal promotions went to the promotions tab ymmv.

So far not seeing anything in either of my accounts. I'll keep checking but if I don't get one consider me mildly disappointed (Zarude and Celebi aren't Mythicals I particularly love so it's more of an annoyance)

Can anybody explain why some codes just don't arrive?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Pokemon.com posted this FAQ concerning the promotion.

If you still don't get your code within, let's say 48 hours, I would contact Pokemon.com directly:

1. Go here: https://support.pokemon.com/hc/en-us
3. Select the button for "Pokémon Trainer Club / Account".
4. Scroll to the bottom and click the "Contact Us" link.
5. Fill out the form. Explain you have an email account registered, you're accepting Newsletters and have gotten them in the past, yet you didn't get your code. Remind them you're not asking for a new code, you're asking them to resend the code that was sent to your email address. That worked for me once.

This whole thing is another reason why I despise mythical Pokemon. Why do I have to go through all this to maybe get the cool Monkey? Why can't I just...get the cool Monkey? Maybe in an ingame story or campaign.

Anything is better than having to sign up for a newsletter I'll never use after this, regardless if I get the cool Monkey

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This whole thing is another reason why I despise mythical Pokemon. Why do I have to go through all this to maybe get the cool Monkey? Why can't I just...get the cool Monkey? Maybe in an ingame story or campaign.

Anything is better than having to sign up for a newsletter I'll never use after this, regardless if I get the cool Monkey
I wish they would go back to just distributing the Mythical over the internet, I don't get why we have to jump hoops to get a code. Who cares if some players get TWO because they bought both games. Heck, shouldn't that be their reward for spending the extra money?

I wish they would go back to just distributing the Mythical over the internet, I don't get why we have to jump hoops to get a code. Who cares if some players get TWO because they bought both games. Heck, shouldn't that be their reward for spending the extra money?
I love how easy it was to get Magearna and Melmetal. I got one from a QR code and the other from downloading an app. So easy and now I like Magearna and Melmetal a lot, because they didn't give me any issue. I already think less of Zarude because of this

My main issue with mythicals isn't even how they're distributed, I just don't like these Pokemon being limited in the first place. How long will it be until I can get a Marshadow or Darkrai?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)