Event Discussion

Also while I'm here I just want to know why this is such a consistent issue. I'm no expert (I'm actually the opposite) but how hard is it to send out a code? Why do I constantly hear about people not receiving a code despite doing everything right?
The fact they have a full FAQ section about this makes it all the worse because it's obvious that they have gotten complaints about this from the last several years they've done this.

The fact they have a full FAQ section about this makes it all the worse because it's obvious that they have gotten complaints about this from the last several years they've done this.
Anything Nintendo related should not be paired with the internet, it never leads to anything good

Haven't gotten any code yet, sent an email last night, I hope I can get the code that way then

Over 24 hours at this point. No monkey or onion, but I did get an email about the TCG Celebration on my burner. Interestingly enough I didn't get it on my main email. But regardless it shows I am subscribed correctly on one of them.

So how do they choose who gets the event Pokemon? Do they randomly throw darts?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, didn't get my email either so time to send them a ticket. Quoting from the previous page:

1. Go here: https://support.pokemon.com/hc/en-us
3. Select the button for "Pokémon Trainer Club / Account".
4. Scroll to the bottom and click the "Contact Us" link.
5. Fill out the form. Explain you have an email account registered, you're accepting Newsletters and have gotten them in the past, yet you didn't get your code. Remind them you're not asking for a new code, you're asking them to resend the code that was sent to your email address. That worked for me once.
EDIT: Just as I went to the page, an alert note popped up on the top of my screen:
We are currently experiencing a high volume of inquiries. At this time, it may take longer than normal to receive a response. Thank you for your understanding.
GEE, I WONDER WHY.

EDIT 2:
Here's what I wrote:
  • TITLE: Didn't Get Newsletter With Dada Zarude & Shiny Celebi Promotion Codes

• DESC: Hello. I did not receive the Newsletter containing the Dada Zarude and Shiny Celebi promotion codes. My Gmail is correct (GMAIL WITHHELD), I have checked the option to receive the Newsletter which I've gotten in the past, and I've checked all over my Gmail (main box, Promotion tab, Spam folder) and do not see the Newsletter. All I am asking is for my Newsletter with the promotional codes, which there should be one for me as I've checked the box to receive them, to be resent to my Gmail (or sent if for some reason it failed to have gone through delivery). I've had this problem before with the Newsletter containing a promotional code (I believe it was an Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon promotion for a Heatran/Regigigas) and, after sending a ticket, have been resent/sent the Newsletter, so I imagine whatever the problem may have been back then is the same problem now. Thank you for understanding.
If you decide and copy & paste this message you may want to read through it and delete/change parts which specifically apply to you.

Last edited:
Last update: Didn't get a code, and so far no response from the Pokemon Company. At this point I don't care much to keep trying to get the codes, but I'll still keep checking periodically. I might send an email with my burner account too

So what have we learned? Well we learned that no matter if you think TPC is great or if you think they're terrible, we can all agree they suck at distributing codes.

https://www.pokebeach.com/2021/10/shiny-zacian-and-zamazenta-events-at-gamestop

Shiny wolves coming to US soon?

By GameStop, not trainer club email disaster, it seems.

Opposite games, just like shiny lunala and solgaleo (if I remember correctly).
How nice that they're coming so soon!

Also being the opposite version is nice (gives me a zamzenta to keep in Home while i keep my normal one in Sword heh heh). Guess they will come with their special item too, which is nice

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
As someone that couldn't even figure out how to sign up to the news letter, how many years do you think it will be until the next Zarude event? I'm guessing at least 3 years of hating the news letter every time I see one before I can finally get one.

Now I'm finally glad I picked Shield

I mean aside from the fact that Zacian-C is absolutely bonkers good in Competitive while Zamazenta is just...bonkers (derogatory), I just prefer Zama's original colors to it's shiny, and vice versa for Zacian, so it works out.

Also for someone who hasn't done one of these before, how does the process go? Do you just go to Gamestop and get a code from...something? Do you have to buy something or God forbid ask for it from an employee? No disrespect to Gamestop employees I just have social anxiety

As someone that couldn't even figure out how to sign up to the news letter, how many years do you think it will be until the next Zarude event? I'm guessing at least 3 years of hating the news letter every time I see one before I can finally get one.
oh that's right you just kept running into issues. I still think you were just looking in the wrong place by accident but the ship's sailed by now huh? Sucks.

It's hard to say. It'd be nice if TPCi threw a bone to the trainer code nonsense and just made a new deal with gamestop or target or hell just a wi-fi event but I don't see that happening.
You probably will just have to wait until next generation. Marshadow (we'll ignore Zeraora since it was so late in the gen) had one event and had to wait until gen 8 to get another (and that event is still only in Japan or Korea) this year.
Now I'm finally glad I picked Shield

I mean aside from the fact that Zacian-C is absolutely bonkers good in Competitive while Zamazenta is just...bonkers (derogatory), I just prefer Zama's original colors to it's shiny, and vice versa for Zacian, so it works out.

Also for someone who hasn't done one of these before, how does the process go? Do you just go to Gamestop and get a code from...something? Do you have to buy something or God forbid ask for it from an employee? No disrespect to Gamestop employees I just have social anxiety
They keep little code cards at the cashier, so you have to ask for one. You never have to purchase anything.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
oh that's right you just kept running into issues. I still think you were just looking in the wrong place by accident but the ship's sailed by now huh? Sucks.
It shows how much it sucks when you can subscribe to the wrong newsletter before finding the right one and different parts of the website have different user setting options. Bull. F***ing. S***.
It's hard to say. It'd be nice if TPCi threw a bone to the trainer code nonsense and just made a new deal with gamestop or target or hell just a wi-fi event but I don't see that happening.
You probably will just have to wait until next generation. Marshadow (we'll ignore Zeraora since it was so late in the gen) had one event and had to wait until gen 8 to get another (and that event is still only in Japan or Korea) this year.
I was asking in a passive aggressive salty rhetorical way, but thanks for a serious answer. That sounds so much worse than I guessed! :D

So... What's Smogon's stance on asking for a hacked event exclusive Pokemon that had so many problems with the event that it might as well have never been released even though it's technically released? (Again, passive aggressive salty rhetorical question but sarcastic this time.) Seriously though, I'm just going to beg for a code. I've still got an unused 100 Armorite Ore code from the Shiny Zeraora event if anyone wants to trade codes... Lol, like that's a fair trade. I'll be waiting until Gen 10 for Zarude.

It shows how much it sucks when you can subscribe to the wrong newsletter before finding the right one and different parts of the website have different user setting options. Bull. F***ing. S***.

I was asking in a passive aggressive salty rhetorical way, but thanks for a serious answer. That sounds so much worse than I guessed! :D

So... What's Smogon's stance on asking for a hacked event exclusive Pokemon that had so many problems with the event that it might as well have never been released even though it's technically released? (Again, passive aggressive salty rhetorical question but sarcastic this time.) Seriously though, I'm just going to beg for a code. I've still got an unused 100 Armorite Ore code from the Shiny Zeraora event if anyone wants to trade codes... Lol, like that's a fair trade. I'll be waiting until Gen 10 for Zarude.
Can't necessarily speak for smogon's staff but it'd probably be easier to just ask to trade something for a Zarude since surely someone somewhere has one they dont want and i mean hey if that thing wound up being hacked whomst can say.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It'd be nice if TPCi threw a bone to the trainer code nonsense and just made a new deal with gamestop or target or hell just a wi-fi event but I don't see that happening.
Or just forget about individual codes and have a single code you have up for a limited time on a main page somewhere. Heck, have it so the codes appear sometime during the movie, one on the middle and one during the end.

Well, next NORMAL Zarude, eventually. :blobshrug: I would like to think they would have one again sometime next gen to give those who couldn't get one a second chance but who knows. Or they make it like a HOME prize or something to the side like that, maybe a spinoff game will give it away.

As for the next DADA Zarude, pfft, between slim to never. Or they'll start playing a little game with whenever they do a Zarude event, there's a 1 out of 100 chance some people will instead get the rare Dada Zarude instead of a normal Zarude!

They do not contract people outside of Japan for the TCG
That's sad to hear, really shortsighted of them.

They keep little code cards at the cashier, so you have to ask for one. You never have to purchase anything.
You know I think I'd prefer having to buy something...

Anything is better than the disaster that was that Newsletter at the very least

Sorry for double posting but I did just get a response from support

Related: Where can I find out what my username and shit is? I forgot it

ETA: I tried to retrieve my username and apparently my main email doesn't have an account...on to the burner.

ETA2: Same message for the burner. You know I don't think the drip Monkey is worth all this trouble, I give up. Thank God the shiny dogs are using a much better method, I hope they do that for EVERY event from now on

So I think this counts as an Event thus why I'm posting it here.

The Pokemon Company has announced a contest which used to be Japanese only will now be accepting entries for the US: The yearly TCG Illustration contest. It is what it says on the tin, every year they pick a batch a Pokemon and a theme, ask people to submit their drawings, and they pick winners who get their drawing made into an official promo card and a cash prize. It'll run from October 12th to January 31st, here are the details.

Now, from that alone it sounds pretty awesome... but then I look into the details and there's some decisions I raise an eyebrow to. But to begin, here are the selected Pokemon and the theme of the drawing:
  • Pokemon: Bulbasaur, Charizard, Pikachu, Arcanine, Galarian Rapidash, Scizor, Greninja & Cramorant
  • Theme: Pokemon's Daily Life
Interesting choice with Galarian Rapidash and Cramorant, and the combination of Scizor and "Daily Life". I have no art skill what so ever, but I can imagine a few fun image ideas:

• Bulbasaur sunbathing in a flower field.
  • Charizard cooking curry using its tail as the fire and wings as the fan.
  • A sunglasses wearing Pikachu relaxing in a beach chair & cold drink in hand, like Chuuster in SM/USUM in the Hano Grand Resort.
  • Arcanine playing frisbee.
  • Two Galarian Rapidash dueling each other with their horns.
  • Scizor is doing arts & crafts that involves cutting paper.
  • Greninja doing target practice with it Water Shurikens while blindfolded (with its tongue) and balancing a bucker of water on its head.
  • Cramorant trying to choke down more Arrokuda than it could.

That out of the way, let's discuss the winners:
  • 1 Grand Prize (Either Country): Drawing made into Promo Card & wins $5,000.
  • 2 Runner-Ups (One for Japan, one from US): Drawings made into Promo Card & both win $3,000.
  • 2 Second Runner-Ups (Either Country): Both win $1,000.
  • 15 Judges' Award (Either Country): All win $500.
Now, 20 winners looks like a good amount... except only 3 of them will have their drawing made into promo cards. Now, I get these will be limited print thus they don't want to dedicate too many machines to them, but at the same time they listed 8 Pokemon. How about each Pokemon will have a Grand Prize Winners that'll have their drawing made into a card, 2 Runner-Ups for each that will just win some cash, and finally 9 Judges Awards. With the actually Runner-Ups being, you know, runner-ups and not having their drawing made into a card you don't need the Second Runner-Ups category. And if you're wondering why I shrunk the Judges' Award down to 9, well, that's how many Judges there are:
  • Tsunekazu Ishihara (The Pokemon Company, President)
  • Kenji Okubo (The Pokemon Company International, President)
  • Hirokazu Tanaka (Creatures, Inc. President)
  • Yuji Kitano (Creatures, Inc. Senior Executive Director)
  • Atsuko Ujiie (Creatures, Inc. Executive Director, CG Studio Art Director)
  • Satoru Nagaya (Creatures, Inc. Art Director)
  • Kouki Saitou (Pokemon TCG Official Illustrator)
  • Tomokazu Komiya (Pokemon TCG Official Illustrator)
  • AKIRA EGAWA (Pokemon TCG Official Illustrator)
We all recognize Ishihara and some who actually read the illustrator on the bottom of Pokemon cards may recognize AKIRA (mostly cause they capitalize their whole name), but everyone else are probably "new names" to the casual fan. Also can't help but notice all of them are Japanese, even the president of the International portion of The Pokemon Company. Not saying that'll affect their judging for the 1st place pick, infact to avoid possible bias they should judge the illustration without knowing the artist's nationality. Still, couldn't find at least some US staff members? Actually, I also notice no GameFreak employee; while he's British I think James Turner would have been up to being a judge. Thinking about is, is there any English TCG Official Illustrators; I'm looking through Bulbapedia's list and getting a "no" vibe?

Well, what's done has been done, this is the first year they're allowing for US submissions and hopefully will not be the last (and they'll open submissions from other countries as well, and maybe get some international Judges). I'll look forward to seeing what the Judges pick sometime in February next year.
James Turner has done work for the TCG, so I'm guessing the requirement is that you have to be in Japan and speak Japanese. I'm kind of surprised Cramorant is part of that line up. As far as I know, Cramorant isn't among the most popular Pokemon of Galar, or at least according to the poll for the Year of Pokemon. Not to mention that it is in Unite as well. I wonder why Cramorant is getting so much attention?

Im pretty sure all tgc card production (other than translation) is done in japan, and japan-only companies are very set on not hiring outside of japan unless absolutely necessary, which is often limited to translators.
It's also probably just easier from a production stand point. Contact, contracts, junk like that. Pokemon's TCG hardly the only one who does this. TCG, mobile games, music composition, etc

Though if we're being honest the fact they didn't get Toby Fox to make a TCG card while he was in Japan is shocking lol

Toby fox doesn't draw (other than scribbles). If you're talking about the undertale/deltarune game and merch art, pretty sure thats all temmie
Toby does draw some things for the games, notably the portraits.

we could have had bugerpantsified pokemon cards, imagine!

I don't supposed you happened to open Pokemon Go at all during the first week of October? If you did it should have activated a special research event that rewards Zarude at the end. If you didn't play before Oct 7th, though, then you're out of luck on this front too :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)