Event Discussion

That clarifies it, hopefully they'll have more cards tomorrow

At the very least the Gamestop I visited had some TCG packs, which is also a rarity here
If they're out of cards they are probably not going to get another batch by tomorrow unless they specifically said another shipment was coming in tomorrow.
You'll need to ask (1) if they are getting more and (2) when they expect to get more

Barring that you'd probably be better off looking for a new gamestop

Got my codes today, so that was nice. No issues getting it despite being in america

King of shockingly abusable, really.
How long did it take to get yours? I only signed up on the GameUK site yesterday so I'm expecting to wait a few days

How long did it take to get yours? I only signed up on the GameUK site yesterday so I'm expecting to wait a few days
Friday so, about 3 days. They say it can take up to a week but considering how fast I got it, it might just have needed a full business day to send out.

Friday so, about 3 days. They say it can take up to a week but considering how fast I got it, it might just have needed a full business day to send out.
Yeah, it says about a week. I remember reading something about how they try to send out the codes on Mondays or something, so I was kinda hoping I'd get it today, but I was also hoping for a Zarude code so I'll consider myself lucky if it takes months to get to me for whatever reason

I'll keep frequenting Gamestops (all 3 that are near me) just in case I don't get the code or it doesn't work, which is always likely

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
What's I'm getting from this thread is that events are either impossible to get, very easy, or somehow both because of different countries doing it different ways. Oh, and this is a free event for most countries but you have to preorder BDSP for them in South Korea... -_-

WTF is wrong with the people in charge of events?

Quoting this so its on the newest page.

What's I'm getting from this thread is that events are either impossible to get, very easy, or somehow both because of different countries doing it different ways. Oh, and this is a free event for most countries but you have to preorder BDSP for them in South Korea... -_-

Quoting this so its on the newest page.
I'm not a business person or anything but I don't understand how you can "run out" of codes...is there any reason Gamestop employees can't just print out a new card with a new code or something?

At the very least it should be like how the GameUK did it but for every region

I'm not a business person or anything but I don't understand how you can "run out" of codes...is there any reason Gamestop employees can't just print out a new card with a new code or something?

At the very least it should be like how the GameUK did it but for every region
Because they are supplied with code cards by TPCi(or whoever the supplier they partner with to print the cards, i guess), the employees/store do not print them out and likely do not have access to any sort of code generator.

This is why, if they're out of cards around you, you can't just expect to go in every day and have them get one. You would need to ask an employee if they expect to get another shipment and if so, when they would come in. It is fully possible those stores only set to receive one shipment and that's it.

Why these various stores in various regions deal with these wild differences (GameUK themselves either gets a code generator or a direct line to those who do and then sends those cards ocne they obtain them basically making them "Made to order" codes, which likely accounts for why the emails are sent on a delay) probably has to do with all kinds of business factors that vary based on the store, the regional TPCi deals, production deals, etc.

In conclusion please give the us Pokemon site literally anything to work with because gameUK clearly has something down pat here.

Spoilers: there's a significant enough chance the people who made these events are not assuming that a bunch of 30+ year old adults obsessed by living dex will assault their shops instead of leaving the codes to the actual target aka kids.
Remember when Pokemon Card shops got literally assaulted at start of covid era? yeah.
We are the problem. Not the people who organize this stuff.

(Whenever the fact that GF / TPCI havent aknowledged yet that in fact the main chunk of people who care of these events are actually adult nerds is a different matter entirely)

Spoilers: there's a significant enough chance the people who made these events are not assuming that a bunch of 30+ year old adults obsessed by living dex will assault their shops instead of leaving the codes to the actual target aka kids.
Remember when Pokemon Card shops got literally assaulted at start of covid era? yeah.

(Whenever the fact that GF / TPCI havent aknowledged yet that in fact the main chunk of people who care of these events are actually adult nerds is a different matter entirely)
You're not wrong about adult grognerds but sometimes I don't think you can blame it on nerds like us.

Like the Newsletter not going out: This is not an us problem. This appears to be intrinsic to whatever is goin on with their system, and should not be buckling like it does considering this has happened for years and affects the "normal" news letters too. There's SOMETHING going on and they either have tried to fix it but faile,d havent tried to fix it, or literally cannot fix it . Maybe there's budget, maybe whatever back end they have is accuring rampant technical debt that is not worth fixing, who knows. They probably sohuld look into a different option if they want to use the pokemon website in the US

Or Code cards running out
  • Option 1: The supplier did not supply them with enough cards to begin with. Nintendo's done this with actual full game releases before, much less something like code cards. If they ran out of cards day 1 that could easily imply they did not get enough to hypothetically last a 2 week time period. That's likely on TPCi or whatever partner they make with
  • Option 2: The Gamestops did not order enough to begin with. Maybe they thought it wouldn't be a big item, maybe they just didn't care, maybe they had other things in the budget etc
  • Option 3: They didn't get their order in yet and are actively lying with the easiest thing that gets you out of the store without fuss
  • Option 4: Someone came in and just grabbed a bunch of cards and left. This one's on us
    • Oh shit Option 4.5: OR IS IT. A store has the right to limit free gifts (& also just like...actual merchandise) by customer and that's why you usually put it at the register and have to ask the empolyee for one. If the customer makes a stink you could probably get away with giving away like 2 or something. Regardless it's just the store not caring after a certain point.
  • Option 5: An alternate to options 1-3 is its covid and that is mucking the supply chain to produce

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

"Ninja'd" by R_N because I take way too long to make posts, but they made the point better than I did. I still want to add a few more notes.

Gamestop isn't a problem for me because of codes, it's a problem because the Gamestop where I live was closed and the nearest still open one is an hour away. (For context, I live in a big town. Far from the middle of nowhere.) I wouldn't have a reason to go there until BDSP come out and for some reason they're only giving out the Zamazenta code then. I'm not even sure if I'd be able to use it because I have Shield. Also, again, free for most places, pay for a preorder in South Korea.

I was also complaining about Zarude. Judging by the complaints about the newsletter, I'm pretty sure they didn't give out codes in a way that let kids get them. Even if it's obsessed adults overloading the newspaper, I couldn't even find out how to subscribe to the newspaper. I even subscribed to a wrong newsletter trying to find the right one!

I won't disagree that some of the events have had some questionable management as of late.
I personally think there's a lot of issues with the Covid era. Back before 2020, codes were just as usual given to shops, and the main purpose of these codes was to attract potential buyers, nothing more.
"Here kid, here's your shiny new Rockruff, by the way what do you think of the fancy stuff on the desk?"
It's really standard marketing and nothing more.

HOWEVER when Covid happened and literally everything moved online, it's pretty obvious lot of companies were not quite prepared for the online-only distribution and moreso while still trying to only keep their partners.
Phisically going to Gamestop for example would usually deter people from just trying to get to multiple GS just to get multiple codes... but, online requests are different, which is why modern ones just go out of stock super fast, cause nothing is stopping us from requesting them or even multiple of them as soon as we can't get one istantly from the tecnically appropriate method.

Running out of code cards sounds like R_N 's option 1/2 are the most likely. I assume they're only given X codes and if the store or TPCI do not expect a large amount of requests, it's easy for them to run out.

I don't know what happened with the whole newsletter thing as I'm from EU and we basically always had gamestop as distributor here, definitely something did go wrong, but once more... I'm afraid this is just another case of TPCI barely caring of what happens with rest of the planet and only having interest in making sure their local distribution goes right.

Oh, and this is a free event for most countries but you have to preorder BDSP for them in South Korea... -_-
I don't know about other regions, but locking events behind real purchases is definitely a thing for Japanese events. The worst offenders I remember off the top of my head are:
  • Shiny legendary beasts from the Zoroark movie - pre-order a movie ticket and choose one. A staff member is literally there at the cinema to tear a ticket stub and then stick a GBA cart into your NDS to give you the event. Have fun spending $39-$54 in advance if you want all three; oh, and don't forget BW1 Zoroark is basically locked behind this.
  • Shiny Arceus from the Hoopa movie - pre-order a movie ticket and get a serial code for a 1/19 lootbox. Unlike usual events, you are explicitly allowed to redeem these serial codes as many times as you want on one save file, and the only way to get more chances at Shiny Arceus is to buy more movie tickets to get more serial codes. Have fun spending $247-$342 (or hundreds more if you're unlucky) on the first (and currently only) legal Shiny Arceus.
*based on a quick search saying that movie ticket prices in Japan are between $13 and $18

I don't know about other regions, but locking events behind real purchases is definitely a thing for Japanese events. The worst offenders I remember off the top of my head are:
  • Shiny legendary beasts from the Zoroark movie - pre-order a movie ticket and choose one. A staff member is literally there at the cinema to tear a ticket stub and then stick a GBA cart into your NDS to give you the event. Have fun spending $39-$54 in advance if you want all three; oh, and don't forget BW1 Zoroark is basically locked behind this.
  • Shiny Arceus from the Hoopa movie - pre-order a movie ticket and get a serial code for a 1/19 lootbox. Unlike usual events, you are explicitly allowed to redeem these serial codes as many times as you want on one save file, and the only way to get more chances at Shiny Arceus is to buy more movie tickets to get more serial codes. Have fun spending $247-$342 (or hundreds more if you're unlucky) on the first (and currently only) legal Shiny Arceus.
*based on a quick search saying that movie ticket prices in Japan are between $13 and $18
Japan's entire movie theater thing is so different from america it's fascianting.
Incidentally for however much we complain about our events, the movie ticket preorder has been the primary way to get that year's newest mythical pokemon (and any secondary pokemon) for a long, long time.

Other "buy thing, get code" stuff in Japan:
-Pokemon Scrap has been a recurring campaign where entering "Scraps" that come with various Pokemon Merchandise would put you on a track to get codes for various Pokemon.
-Guide book bonuses. Oh man there are all kinds of these things, iirc guide books during gne 5 were the ONLY way to get certain Hidden Ability pokemon such as Speed Boost Torchic
-Magazines, especially CoroCoro. These magazines are usually wrapped, I think? And they're printed within a special thing and obviously one-use.

The west basically does not do any of this, if they include a purchase bonus it's typically something more physical, like a TCG card.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Got my Shiny Zacian (with an extra code for a Shiny Zamazenta if anyone wants it, not sure if I'll see my cousins before it expires).

Still waiting on a return to my ticket about the Dada Zarude and Shiny Celebi. It's still "Open" at the very least. By the end of this month I'll ask what's the hold up. Hopefully they're generating more codes (because I have a feeling the Newsletter list is just borked and didn't have people's email thus no codes were generated *sigh* ).

With how easy the UK method was I hope PUSA take notice and switch to it. Code on requested demand for as long as the promotion is going on instead of asking us to sign up for a Newsletter in advance and hope when it's time to send out the Newsletter there's no problem like some people's emials for some reason not being on the list (at least with the code request, if you think you're email didn't get listed, you can make another request).

Got my Shiny Zacian (with an extra code for a Shiny Zamazenta if anyone wants it, not sure if I'll see my cousins before it expires).

Still waiting on a return to my ticket about the Dada Zarude and Shiny Celebi. It's still "Open" at the very least. By the end of this month I'll ask what's the hold up. Hopefully they're generating more codes (because I have a feeling the Newsletter list is just borked and didn't have people's email thus no codes were generated *sigh* ).

With how easy the UK method was I hope PUSA take notice and switch to it. Code on requested demand for as long as the promotion is going on instead of asking us to sign up for a Newsletter in advance and hope when it's time to send out the Newsletter there's no problem like some people's emials for some reason not being on the list (at least with the code request, if you think you're email didn't get listed, you can make another request).
I just hope they don't do anything regarding the Newsletter or the Pokemon accounts or whatever

I don't see why we need the middle man, just give us the code ala GameUK

I got zarude and shiny celebi in early 2020 and I forgot this wasn't everyone, so you can guess my confusion when i see everyone talking about newsletters and gamestops for dada zarude in late 2021 of all things

I got zarude and shiny celebi in early 2020 and I forgot this wasn't everyone, so you can guess my confusion when i see everyone talking about newsletters and gamestops for dada zarude in late 2021 of all things
Zarude & the shiny celebi wasnt available anywhere until late 2020...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)