Bug Reports v3 [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a spikes kill when the opponent switched in Muk, and they then switched in Metagross. After Metagross came on the field, my Clefable didn't move at all. No text saying it was paralyzed or anything, just didn't get a turn. Are Pokemon allowed to move at all (for example, I used softboiled) after they get a spikes kill?

Gen 3 Random Battle Spikes Issue - Turn 35
Just a heads up, if you want to share a battle, you'll need to click "upload and share replay". If you just share the battle link like you just did, the battle will be lost as soon as the battle window expires. Thankfully, it hadn't expired yet: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3randombattle-1097778271

I got a spikes kill when the opponent switched in Muk, and they then switched in Metagross. After Metagross came on the field, my Clefable didn't move at all. No text saying it was paralyzed or anything, just didn't get a turn. Are Pokemon allowed to move at all (for example, I used softboiled) after they get a spikes kill?

Gen 3 Random Battle Spikes Issue - Turn 35
Prior to gen 4, If a mon fainted before the other mon made a move, the 2nd mon doesn't make a move at all. This is correct.

In Gen 8, metronome into gen 8 starter moves fails. But in this hackmons replay, it works as normal.
SHOWDOWN REPLAY:
file:///Users/adkirmse/Downloads/snipe%20shot%20should%20fail.html (Turn 2)

But in the games, it will fail.
(Go to 30:20)

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
In Gen 8, metronome into gen 8 starter moves fails. But in this hackmons replay, it works as normal.
SHOWDOWN REPLAY:
file:///Users/adkirmse/Downloads/snipe%20shot%20should%20fail.html (Turn 2)

But in the games, it will fail.
(Go to 30:20)
Don't post the downloaded replay, upload it using the "upload and share replay" button. We can't see that.

Introduction
This thread is specifically for reporting Pokémon Showdown bugs with battle mechanics or chat commands.

If you have a different issue, there is probably another thread somewhere related to that topic:
Want to ask a question and not report a bug? Use the Simple Question Simple Answer thread.
Having trouble connecting to the main server? Use the Technical Support thread.
Want to request a feature? Use the Suggestions thread.
If your bug is about the Damage Calculator, it has its own dedicated thread.
If your issue is with the current-gen sprites, check the Model Fixing thread.
Got a really terrible Random Battle set? Report it in the Singles or Doubles thread.

In all cases, be sure to read the first post of the thread you're posting in!

Rules
Before reporting a bug,
  • Check the lists of Not Bugs and Known Bugs below.
  • Look up the relevant Pokemon/moves/Abilities/items on the PSdex and the first post of the Smogon Research thread. If neither source explains the behaviour you saw, consider asking about it in the Help room. If no one there can explain it, feel free to post the bug here.
  • Make sure your opponent's Pokemon isn't Zorua or Zoroark.
  • Depending on the situation, save a replay (the View attachment 115618button, or alternately the "/savereplay" command) or take a screenshot to include in your post.
  • Make sure no one has reported this bug on, say, the last page or two of the thread. No one expects you to go through the whole thread, but it's kind of ridiculous when three posts in a row report the same problem.
  • Make sure this bug exists on the official server, with no custom styles enabled.
If you are posting a large screenshot, please put HIDE tags around it. [HIDE]a screenshot[/HIDE]

Known Mechanics Bugs

NOT BUGS

- Air Lock and Cloud Nine do not actually end weather or prevent weather from beginning, just stop its effects while the Pokemon is active.
- Hypnosis, Sand Attack, Glare, Eerie Impulse, and Gastro Acid can hit Dark, Flying, Ghost, Ground, and Steel types, respectively. The only Status move that checks type immunity is Thunder Wave.
- Sheer Force prevents the user's Life Orb recoil and Shell Bell recovery, as well as the target's Color Change, Emergency Exit, Pickpocket, Wimp Out, Red Card, Eject Button, Kee Berry, and Maranga Berry from activating only when using moves that have a secondary effect removed by Sheer Force.
- Speed Boost does not activate on the turn you switch in: yes, this is different from most other abilities/items that activate at the end of a turn.
- If Fake Out didn't cause a flinch, your opponent probably had Shield Dust or Inner Focus, or your Pokemon had Sheer Force.
- Wish doesn't take effect if the Pokemon in its place faints the turn it would've healed it.
- Wonder Guard is not an immunity: Shedinja is not immune to Ground: it takes damage from Spikes. Shedinja is not immune to Poison: it is still affected by Toxic
- That Pokemon taking incorrect hazard damage is probably a Zoroark (which is a Dark, not a Bug, lolololol)
- Payback boosts damage for moving second, whether or not damage was taken. Also, since Gen 5, its power is not doubled if the opponent switches.
- Pursuit will deal double damage immediately before any switch-out, as long as Pursuit has not been used at regular priority yet. This includes U-turn and Volt Switch, but not Baton Pass.
- Sucker Punch fails if the target uses a faster priority move.
- Illusion, Air Balloon, Destiny Bond, Wonder Guard, etc only take effect if the damage was from a move, not an indirect effect such as entry hazards, Poison damage, etc.
- Destiny Bond lasts until the move user makes another move (or would've made another move, if not for confusion or Truant or a similar effect).
- Focus Sash and Sturdy affect all move damage (including static damage moves like Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter).
- Outrage/Thrash/Petal Dance can be stopped during effect and not cause confusion if Protect/Detect is used on the second turn of a three-turn duration.
- If the user faints from Iron Barbs/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet damage, Rapid Spin does not remove hazards, and Knock Off does not remove the target's item.
- Since Gen 5, a Flying-type Pokemon holding Iron Ball takes neutral damage from Ground-type moves regardless of its other type(s), unless another effect is also grounding it.
- Roost removes the user's Flying type for the rest of the turn only if the user was successfully healed.
- A status condition remains on a Pokemon even if it later gains a typing that makes it immune to that status condition.
- Doom Desire/Future Sight do not get boosts from the user's item or Ability if the user is not active when the move hits.

ALSO NOT BUGS (XY Mechanics)
- Arceus is affected by Trick or Treat and Forest's Curse.
- The turn a Pokemon Mega Evolves, its place in turn order is decided before Mega Evolution actually happens. Thus, Mega Banette's Prankster will only be effective after the first turn, while a Chlorophyll Venusaur will still be likely to move first under sun the turn it Mega Evolves. This idea also applies to previous gens: e.g. in Doubles, if a Pokemon is paralyzed by a foe, its turn order won't be affected that turn.
- Ghosts cannot be trapped by any means.
- When used by a Poison type, Toxic has a No Guard-like effect, never missing even during semi-invulnerable turns.
- Powder moves, as well as the Effect Spore Ability, don't affect Pokemon with the Grass type, the Overcoat Ability, or Safety Googles.
- Sound moves, as well as the Infiltrator Ability, bypass substitutes.

EVEN MORE NOT BUGS (SM Mechanics)
- Dark types are immune to Status moves used by opposing Pokemon with Prankster.
- Unlike Gen 6, turn order is now decided after Mega Evolution, so, for example, Mega Pinsir will act on its 105 base Speed the turn it Mega Evolves rather than the turns after.
- Terrains only benefit grounded Pokemon. For example, Celesteela would still be hit by priority moves under the effects of Psychic Terrain.

NOT BUGS 3.0 (SS Mechanics)
- Weight-based moves (Heavy Slam, Low Kick, etc.) fails when used against a dynamaxed target.
- Heavy-Duty Boots is a held item that negate all hazards, so Pokémon using this won't take Stealth Rock damage or get poisoned by Toxic Spikes.

There are three types of damage: Move damage, residual damage, and direct damage.

Most abilities, moves, and items that affect damage will only affect one type of damage: either move damage or residual damage. There are zero effects that apply to direct damage. The only effect that applies to both move and residual damage is Heatproof.

Examples of move damage:
- damage dealt, during a move that hits, to the target(s) of a Physical or Special move
- includes static damage: Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter
- does not include the secondary target of Flame Burst (which would be residual damage)

Examples of direct damage:
- hurting yourself in confusion
- damaging yourself during Substitute, Curse, Belly Drum, or Struggle (but not the damage to your opponent, if applicable)
- does NOT include other forms of recoil (which would be residual damage)

Examples of residual damage:
- all other damage
- includes recoil, poison/burn, Leech Seed, weather, hazards, damage from abilities, damage from items...

Things that affect move damage only:
- Wonder Guard
- Sturdy, Focus Sash, Focus Band, Endeavor
- Illusion, Balloon, Destiny Bond

Things that affect residual damage only:
- Magic Guard
- most other effects only affect specific types of residual damage, such as: Poison Heal (poison damage), Rock Head (recoil damage)
Excuse me but when I go on teambuilder I can’t see the movepool for mons I didn’t choose the wrong format

I don't think ripen is working as it should. We all know it doubles the effectiveness of berries, however according to Bulbapedia ALL berries have their effectiveness doubled whenever relevant, this includes type berries (i.e. yache berry) and berries that raise stats (i.e. starf berry). This is consistent with what happens in Sword/Shield, however showdown and the damage calculator do not show this. Here's a replay of choice band Weavile using ice shard against a variety of Appletun, testing how ripen affects all the different berries. I'm using choice band Weavile as an example as ice shard does enough damage to proc berries, but never enough damage to kill (if we don't consider crits):

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1099075619

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Yache Berry Appletun: 156-186 (36.7 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

According to the damage calc, ice shard should be doing ~40% to Yache Berry Ripen Appletun, notice how Ripen isn't even mentioned in the calc which suggests Ripen is not affecting the calc in any way. In the replay, ice shard is doing the same damage to both Ripen and Gluttony Appletun when this shouldn't be the case. The Ripen Yache Berry Appletun should be taking half the damage it is taking (so around 20%). What makes this bug very interesting is that sometimes Ripen does actually work as intended. Here's a replay showing the same choice band Weavile against 6 Yache Berry Ripen Appletun with identical stats:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1099084580

The first 4 are all taking the right damage, then the 5th Appletun is taking the wrong damage. On turn 12 the game is acting as if the Appletun is still holding a Yache Berry, and it's still doing the completely wrong damage.

TLDR: Something is making ripen inconsistent with type berries. The damage calculator is not doubling the effectiveness of type berries when it should be doing.

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
In the teambuilder, choosing Galarian Darmanitan's Zen mode form specifially shows regular darmanitan's moveset instead of what it should be.

Protective pads, according to Bulbapedia, should prevent the Perish Body ability from going off. This isn't the case with showdown at the moment it seems, so either the behavior is implemented incorrectly or Bulbapedia is lying.

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
I don't know if I'm being dumb as I don't know much about battles but I thought after Dynamaxing and you're holding a choice item that you're allowed to select a new move? I know this is in Hackmons and it might be because I used the G-Max move already in my set but seems a bit odd.. Keldeo is wearing Scarf

1587321719735.png

Not really able to test damage boost by Choice Band right now, but this is what happens re: locking you into a move:
While Dynamaxed and holding Choice Band, you aren't locked into any move at all and can pick any of your moves freely.
If you locked yourself into a move with Choice Band before Dynamaxing, you get locked back into it once Dynamax wears off.
EDIT:
If you are already Dynamaxed and run out of moves, you Struggle while staying big.
In Metronome Battle, I was made to use a 0 PP Max Guard instead of struggling. Sorry fwqef
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1099594094
1587322292572.png

EDIT 2:
The wrong icon is revealed when Illusion breaks.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1099598829
Turn 0: 2 Sableye icons (Blissey in Slot 1)
1587322836044.png
Turn 1: Blissey dynamaxes and is revealed in Slot 2
1587322877144.png

Last edited:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexag-10991219
When a pokemon using weather ball is dynamaxed, weather ball turns into max strike. When using max strike with a weather change on the battlefield, it says that breakneck blitz has transformed into max flare due to the weather.
Someone copied the Z-move code for Weather Ball. Oops! It's getting fixed soon.
Protective pads, according to Bulbapedia, should prevent the Perish Body ability from going off. This isn't the case with showdown at the moment it seems, so either the behavior is implemented incorrectly or Bulbapedia is lying.
More probably it hasn't been implemented at all... probably nobody on the research team has tried it yet.

-Psych Up does not copy the stats of a Pokemon using Protect/Max Guard (gets blocked) despite Bulbapedia stating that it goes through Protect (Gen 8, VGC 2020), and their pic is from Gen 8 so it's probably been tested in-game already:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Psych_Up_(move)
Psych Up is supposed to go through Protect, but it is correct for it to be blocked by Max Guard - they're not the same effect. Which one did you try on Showdown?
For reference, Bulbapedia also says this on Max Guard's page, just not on that of Psych Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)