7* Raid - Hisuian Decidueye (Grass Tera) - October 6-8 rerun 13-15

At a glance battle thoughts:
-Bulk Up rears its head again
-While Spirit Shackle was kind of whatever, Triple Arrow is very dangerous. It has a crit chance, a flinch chance AND a chance to lower your defense. Depending on the rest of the load out, Covert Cloak may be crucial
-To go with its Grass tera typing and new access to Grassy Glide, I could see Grassy Terrain being set up. Maybe around the mid point or post-barrier?
-Knock off to mess with Ghosts

And a misc thought: this is our second mighty mark in a row that doubles down on a type it already had. Assuming we don't want to double up on existing Mighty Mark types thus far, I think the eventual Hisuian Samurott will be Dark and Hisuian Typhlosion will be Fire.

-Knock off to mess with Ghosts
No need for that when it has Scrappy to smack Ghost-types with Fighting-moves. Also means we can't Intimidate it.

Mirror Armor Corviknight looks to be a pretty solid counter to Triple Arrows's Defense drop.

:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Shell Bell / Sharp Beak
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Screech
- Taunt / Roost
- Bulk Up
- Drill Peck

8 Speed to outpace potential Jolly.

Last edited:
And a misc thought: this is our second mighty mark in a row that doubles down on a type it already had. Assuming we don't want to double up on existing Mighty Mark types thus far, I think the eventual Hisuian Samurott will be Dark and Hisuian Typhlosion will be Fire.
I think the remaining types will go like this:

H-Decidueye: Grass
H-Typhlosion: Fire
H-Samurott: Dark
Torterra: Ground
Infernape: Electric
Empoleon: Steel

The remaining six types line up too well. Infernape is the only one going off-type but since Thunder Punch is a prominent coverage move, it can work out.

The simple existance of Triple Arrow is basically telling me that we'll be looking at Ghost types as choice. May require Colbur if it has Knock Off (doubt it though) to discourage it from using it.

Thinking of it, doesnt Gholdengo basically wall 99% of what Decidueye can be running?
(As well as any of the Grass/Ghost if it doesn't have flying coverage)

The simple existance of Triple Arrow is basically telling me that we'll be looking at Ghost types as choice. May require Colbur if it has Knock Off (doubt it though) to discourage it from using it.

Thinking of it, doesnt Gholdengo basically wall 99% of what Decidueye can be running?
(As well as any of the Grass/Ghost if it doesn't have flying coverage)
Scrappy says hi :wo:

Last edited:
For offensive moves we should expect Leaf Blade and Triple Arrows as near guaranteed. Brave Bird / Dual Wingbeat and Shadow Claw / Knock Off seem like very likely coverage options. I wouldn't rule out Rock Tomb either.

Knock Off is not really worth worrying about because the item removing effect does not work when used by the raid mon based on some reports online.

For set-up moves, there's Bulk Up, Swords Dance and Grassy Terrain. Tailwind or Trailblaze could also be interesting, perhaps as scripted moves here and there.

Triple Arrow's strong secondary effects mean that you will want to get the AI to use other moves, or you'll just have to bring a Covert Cloak. Though, Mirror Armor Corviknight will be great for sending those Defense drops back to sender.

Scrappy negates Ghost types as an option, and also blocks Intimidate so poor Arbok will have to wait for another chance before it can shine.

I think Acid Spray is going to be the key to victory here. We have a lot of strong Poison type with the move that also have resistance to Decidueye's STABs and neutrality to the coverage moves.

I would say Arceus-Poison, Fezandipiti, Dragalge, Armarouge, Glowbro/king and Geezing have good enough physical defense to make the strategy work and they also have some decent support options as well. Iron Moth could also be interesting since it can self-boost with Fiery Dance but its lower physical bulk makes me doubtful.

Last edited:
Facade, Feather Dance and Acrobatics should not be ruled out as possibilities and neither should the ability to go special with potential (scripted) leaf storms

Last edited:
I wonder how good would Fezandipity be for this. Toxic chain may have some insane potential assuming it can proc through the shield (i havent really used any of the loyal trio in raid).

Also, ouside of me forgetting of Scrappy's existance, I am not 100% sold on Corviknight. Even though you may reflect the defense drop and disregard the flinch chance by either outspeeding or covert cloak, there is still the fact you would rather not have it use the high crit move in first place as crits disregard both defense boost and attack drops.

I think ideally we want to look at poison, flying types or other grass+fighting resists in order to eat the non stab coverage.

:slowbro-galar:
Slowbro-Galar @ Shell Bell
Ability: Own Tempo
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Acid Spray
- Sludge Bomb
- Venoshock
- Nasty Plot

A potential set could look like this. A lot of Pokémon get Nasty Plot + Acid Spray but here I chose Glowbro since it is the physically bulkiest one. Given that Poison status is likely to be involved, Venoshock would be a good move to consider. If you're confident that someone else will bring the poison status, you could drop Sludge Bomb for a support option like Heal Pulse or Chilling Water.

Other mons to consider:
:Fezandipiti: Fezandipiti has less bulk and firepower but it can provide poison by its ability and support with Charm.

:Munkidori: Munkidori is a lot less bulky but it hits really hard, provides its own poison. Also gets Mud-Slap.

:Slowking-galar: Glowking is slightly stronger, less bulky version of Glowbro. Curious Medicine could have some niche use if things go haywire with Triple Arrows stat drops.

:Weezing-galar: Geezing has good bulk and access to Acid Spray. Could also consider Taunt and Smokescreen.

:Dragalge: Dragalge can somewhat mix support with Acid Spray, Chilling Water and Mud-Slap while also hitting moderately hard with Adaptability boosted Sludge Bomb / Venoshock.

:Armarouge: Armarouge has a strong support kit with Acid Spray, Helping Hand and Reflect.

Last edited:
This is my take on supportive

Fezandipiti @ Leftovers / Black Sludge
Ability: Toxic Chain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Def
Bold / Relaxed Nature
- Acid Spray
- Venoshock
- Roost

You still outspeed easily with -speed even if Decidueye is Jolly, use Relaxed if going for a Mixed set.

Last option can be one of :
- Charm (Obvious attack reducing)
- Icy Wind (If the meta is mons normally slower than Decidueye)
- Dual Wingbeat (higher chance to apply Toxic Chain due to hitting twice but lower damage due to no stab)
- Taunt (Assuming the setup moves aren't scripted to happen while behind screens)

Good memes picks which could actually work:
- Attract (This would be hilarious if by any chance the boss is male, + I think it's not wiped out by the debuff clear)
- Flatter (Confusion seems like another good way to mess with the boss, assuming it doesn't shield right away)
- Swagger (match with Flatter if by any chance Misty Terrain Weezing is meta)
- Tail Slap (just in case you wanted to gamble even harder on Toxic Chain)

Generic damage rolls on potential moves (without accounting for passive recovery):
0+ Atk Decidueye-Hisui Triple Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fezandipiti: 24-28 (6.3 - 7.3%)
0+ Atk Tera Grass Decidueye-Hisui Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fezandipiti: 64-76 (16.8 - 20%) -- possible 5HKO
0+ Atk Decidueye-Hisui Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fezandipiti: 79-93 (20.7 - 24.4%)
0+ Atk Decidueye-Hisui Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fezandipiti: 51-60 (13.4 - 15.7%)

Fezandipity quad resists fighting so it's extremely unlikely that the boss would pick Triple Arrow, and good chance that a coverage will still hit harder than Leaf Blade, so should be dodging the high crit moves.
I would unironically avoid using moves with poison chance, as you kinda want Toxic Chain to trigger over regular poison.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Several Ghosts learn Skill Swap, which could be a way to get around problems with Triple Arrow (assuming we don’t get an immediate shield on the raid). Also Weezing with Neutralizing Gas has good physical bulk and typing for this raid, and could be an enabler for Ghosts like Gholdengo to do their thing (although Ghold might want an Ability Shield to preserve its Good As Gold). I am not sure ability gimmicks are worth the trouble just to get around Scrappy, but if there are ghosts that would otherwise be relatively complete solutions for this raid, it might be an option.

Personally, I’m warming up Torkoal for this raid:
(see whut i did thar… Torkoal… fire type... warming up… hehe)

:sv/torkoal:
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
- Lava Plume
- Clear Smog
- Will-o-Wisp
- Iron Defense

Physical wall that is crit immune, can spread burn, hits SE on Grass Decidueye, can boost up Def, and can Clear Smog away potential Bulk Up spam.

Last edited:
Several Ghosts learn Skill Swap, which could be a way to get around problems with Triple Arrow (assuming we don’t get an immediate shield on the raid). Also Weezing with Neutralizing Gas has good physical bulk and typing for this raid, and could be an enabler for Ghosts like Gholdengo to do their thing (although Ghold might want an Ability Shield to preserve its Good As Gold). I am not sure ability gimmicks are worth the trouble just to get around Scrappy, but if there are ghosts that would otherwise be relatively complete solutions for this raid, it might be an option.

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Clear Smog
- Will-o-Wisp
- Iron Defense

Physical wall that is crit immune, can spread burn, hits SE on Grass Decidueye, can boost up Def, and can Clear Smog away potential Bulk Up spam.
The problem is that none of the Skill Swap Ghosts are really able to do much here. They are either too passive or too frail to tank Tera boosted STAB Leaf Blades.

I would also heavily advise against using anything with Clear Smog. Since people are likely to rely on Acid Spray for damage, Clear Smog could just end up getting in the way. Also, while burning the Decidueye is certainly good, it can cause some issues if the others are relying on Venoshock strategies.

I think a lot will boil down to how often the buffs happen / if you can prevent them with Taunt.

If the boss does spam buffs like Cinderace / Mewtwo or has scripted buffs that are very likely to happen while behind shields like Chesnaugh, there can be a reasonable point in having Clear Smog and / or burns as otherwise there'll be no realistic way to neuter the damage.

Or is there? Actually, there is a handful of pokemon that do learn Chilling Water while not being squishy and resisting both stabs

- G-Slowbro
- G-Slowking
- Dragalge
- Tornadus
- Dragonite
- Arceus (Flying or Poison)
- Flamigo for whatever reason

Galarian Slowbro, Arceus and Dragonite strike me as having pretty strong potential as supportive option with very expansive movepools if you're looking for a defensive debuffer, with G-Slowbro honestly looking as the best pure support, being able to still hit with supereffective stab while also providing with a large array of team support (Acid Spray / Sludge Bomb or Shell Side Arm / Chilling Water / Slack Off sounds like a very strong starting point, also gets other options like Iron Defense or Heal Pulse) and still holding a item. Even gets Skill Swap if you want to take off Scrappy.

Or is there? Actually, there is a handful of pokemon that do learn Chilling Water while not being squishy and resisting both stabs

- G-Slowbro
- G-Slowking
- Dragalge
- Tornadus
- Dragonite
- Arceus (Flying or Poison)
- Flamigo for whatever reason
There's also Lunge which can be used for debuffing.

Noteworthy Lunge users include:
- :iron moth: (Acid Spray + Fiery Dance)
- :muk: (Acid Spray + Mud-Slap + Helping Hand)
- :Forretress: (Reflect + Helping Hand)
- :Eelektross: (Acid Spray + Gastro Acid)
- :Charjabug: (Mud-Slap + Battery support)
- :Scyther: :Slither Wing: :Vespiquen: A bunch of Bug types that could be useful if Flying coverage wasn't near guaranteed

Of these options, Muk looks to be quite spicy for a support role. You can debuff attack while fishing for poison with Poison Touch alongside other debuff options.

Good memes picks which could actually work:
- Attract (This would be hilarious if by any chance the boss is male, + I think it's not wiped out by the debuff clear)
Attract fails on raid bosses in general.

Even with the HP multiplier, Toxic is pretty decent chip in raids especially if you can get it through the shield for its passive damage to be unhindered (with only Poison Fang and Fling as options before), though it is an end of turn effect so it only triggers once and not 4 times for each mon.

I think Slither Wing can still be good with Flying coverage.

Slither Wing @ Coba Berry
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Bug OR Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Low Sweep
- Flare Blitz
- Sunny Day

Coba Berry is for surving the inevitable flying coverage so you can make it to Tera (though is a bit RNG dependent). Tera is basically deciding if you want boosted Leech Life or Flare Blitz - I personally prefer Bug since it resists both STABs. Leech Life is obviously for recovery, Low Sweep is for speed control, Flare Blitz is for when you're Tera'd so you don't have to worry about dying as much, Sunny Day is obv for boosting Flare Blitz and proccing Protosynthesis.

EDIT: alternatively, you can swap out Flare Blitz for Flame Charge, free speed boosts and no need to worry about chip damage

I'm thinking of using Mew because i have one lying around. Item could be colbur if deci brings knock. Just needs 20 speed to out speed fully invested +Spe base 60s like Deci-H. Bug is probably what I'm going with, but Poison could be better defensively depending on what deci brings. This is what I got for now!

Mew @ Silver Powder
Ability: Synchronize *
Tera Type: Bug OR Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Lunge
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
- Leech Life
- Reflect / Pollen Puff / Life Dew etc

*ed: messed up the ability

Last edited:
Mew @ Silver Powder
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Bug OR Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Lunge
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
- Leech Life
- Reflect / Pollen Puff / Life Dew etc
Nice past Paradox Mew you got there :p

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Clear Smog
- Will-o-Wisp
- Iron Defense

I'm not really sure on this. It seems like the meta is going to revolve around Poison procs, and I wouldn't want someone using Clear Smog to remove Acid Spray drops. Plus, since you're slow, you might be immune to crits, but you can be flinched down unless you run Covert Cloak. Better to have teammates use Reflect and / or attack-dropping moves. Plus, Leftovers is a slow item in raids, especially if there is more than one Leftovers holder.

-----

Munkidori might need a bit of attack-lowering / Reflect support, but it'll absolutely shred this raid if given said support. I can see it pair well with Charm Fezandipidi, actually, since both can try to proc Toxic Chain:

:munkidori:
Munkidori (M) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Toxic Chain
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Mud-Slap
- Acid Spray
- Nasty Plot
- Venoshock

+6 252+ SpA Munkidori Venoshock (130 BP) vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Grass Decidueye-Hisui: 7838-9224 (70.6 - 83.1% of 35x hp boss) -- guaranteed 2HKO after toxic damage

0 Atk Tera Grass Decidueye-Hisui Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Munkidori: 114-136 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Tera Grass Decidueye-Hisui Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Munkidori: 97-115 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 50.5% chance to 3HKO

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't think GF is going to let us off the hook by making this raid a cakewalk for the plethora of Poison types and Flying types that will resist Decidueye's mere two STAB attacks. Yeah, Acrobatics seems likely to ward off resists like Grass and Bug, but leaving Poison and Flying out there as brain-dead choices to resist both stabs AND hit Decidueye supereffective as well? -- Hey, I'll love it if they do that, because it will be an easy gang-tackle raid for every Tom, Dick and Harry with any one of a bazillion pokemon to be useful in this raid. And maybe it kinda HAS to be that way with a Tera Grass Hisuan Decidueye -- who simply cannot cover its typing woes in this raid.

BUUUUT... my expectation is that GF is gonna do something to make this tough. And since it can't do it with coverage moves or whatever, it's gonna resort to something cheap (like a massive insta-shield, Double Team, or other support move shenanigans) or something OP like frequent Swords Dance or Bulk Up boosting. Maybe they even do both. And I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in a few extra status wipes and resets for good measure.

If that happens, this raid is not going to be as simple as "Hey Timmy, pick your favorite Poison or Flying type and have fun catching a Mighty Mark Decidueye!"

At this point, of course all of us are speculating, and GF has continually surprised us on the high end AND the low end in the past in terms of 7-star raids. So I'll guess we'll have to wait and see. And even if it's a waste of time, I love theorymonning in advance, lol!

BUUUUT... my expectation is that GF is gonna do something to make this tough. And since it can't do it with coverage moves or whatever, it's gonna resort to something cheap (like a massive insta-shield, Double Team, or other support move shenanigans) or something OP like frequent Swords Dance or Bulk Up boosting. Maybe they even do both. And I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in a few extra status wipes and resets for good measure.
Insta-Shield would be funny as hell in this instance because the strategy would then need to call upon a bunch of teammates coordinating the use of Lunge...kind of like a certain strategy that was deployed for another recent 7-star raid:

:Mew:
Mew @ Light Clay
Ability: Synchronize
Bold / Impish Nature
- Lunge
- Reflect
- Life Dew
- Helping Hand / Acid Spray / Taunt / Mud-Slap

I don't think GF is going to let us off the hook by making this raid a cakewalk for the plethora of Poison types and Flying types that will resist Decidueye's mere two STAB attacks. Yeah, Acrobatics seems likely to ward off resists like Grass and Bug, but leaving Poison and Flying out there as brain-dead choices to resist both stabs AND hit Decidueye supereffective as well? -- Hey, I'll love it if they do that, because it will be an easy gang-tackle raid for every Tom, Dick and Harry with any one of a bazillion pokemon to be useful in this raid. And maybe it kinda HAS to be that way with a Tera Grass Hisuan Decidueye -- who simply cannot cover its typing woes in this raid.

If that happens, this raid is not going to be as simple as "Hey Timmy, pick your favorite Poison or Flying type and have fun catching a Mighty Mark Decidueye!"

At this point, of course all of us are speculating, and GF has continually surprised us on the high end AND the low end in the past in terms of 7-star raids. So I'll guess we'll have to wait and see. And even if it's a waste of time, I love theorymonning in advance, lol!
Considering that the Teal Mask just released, it's not surprising that at least two of Loyal Three are looking very viable.

Though, your mention of Double Team reminds me... if Decidueye starts with Double Team and turn 0 shield, a certain other Teal Mask exclusive Pokémon could become viable :dipplin:

Anyway, given how much punch it's possible to pack in a very short time with Acid Spray spam, I definitely expect Decidueye to match it with similar level of offensive spam, with Swords Dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)