Social Why did you join Smogon?

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm in the mood to play Pokemon again after taking some time off. I scroll to the bottom of Pokemon Showdown and go, "what the hell is a Syclant?" Little did I know that this would set the whole thing in motion...

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Wanted to be a Pokemon master, :boi:
but in all seriousness; I needed some help with Dex completion toward the end of the Ultra Sun & Moon period. I have no idea how I found Smogon. Wish I could remember; it was probably a great find, as I have found many great people and community. :woop:

Last edited:
i had a gap of years out of the POKEMANZ (as our parents would say) cus life, relationships, family, blahzay blah, and kinda needed a crash course [mostly through my own "research" i like to do since i retain it most that way] and used some of the guidelines for ideas for gen 6-7 to catch up to 8 i missed [at that point - hell still def behind for even 9 cus life/and gaming ADD lol].
obviously like any true fan tested myself with favs too for better or worse but even then it helped refresh me of like "okay so that vs this" lol.
im only competitive with local friends cus admittedly i mainly "play pokemon when im playing it" so wont act like ppl that are ON IT < me to any extent cus i mainly now being a lil older just enjoy the game side since the free time is limited. but smogon def helped fall back in (got back in when my dad was sick to help distract my brain as i play) so thank you smogon.
i dont got the time to do all the extra training and etx anymore sadly, i loved it when younger, - like to say i was alright, but yeah, free time? dead now.
mostly use it for honestly stat info and "i rather that ability than this, if i gotta catch 20 ill catch em" lmao

I was actually supposed to join Pokemon Planet (a game which my friend had asked me to play on multiple occasions). When I finally made an account, I forgot the website name and typed in "Pokemon Online Battle Game" on Google. Pokemon Showdown was the first result. It's been almost 10 years since.

I figured all of this out 2 weeks ago when I stumbled across PokeMMO and went down a rabbit-hole.

I watch a lot of youtube videos about competitive (more smogon oriented than VGC). I also used to use smogon to build competitive-worthy spreads for my lategame teams but never looked into the community until I got deep into my competitive youtube video obsession. Trawling the forums for a short bit, I found a lot of cool stuff I didn't want to lose. And accounts get bookmarks.

ZippyDoo200

Banned deucer.
I joined to play mafia.

But now I stay for wrestling and fighting.

I am still planning my revenge on the Smogoff moderators for how shitty they've been towards me.

I considered joining in gen 5, didn't, fell off Pokemon until gen 8 because I hated megas, and now I'm back.

VGC is my primary love, but I can't afford to compete in VGC. Smogon is more accessible tournament-wise, and I'm sure I'll find a format I gel with.

Joined recently because I've always enjoyed casually watching and playing the main series games but wanted to try competitive. Played around on the different tiers for a few months in spurts before getting pretty serious recently; RU is my current tier and I've been fortunate to finally peak as #1 on ladder. I want to get into the competitive scene eventually so I'll likely get more involved in different facets of the forums while still taking ladder seriously.
Also, if anyone wants to hit me up and play or experiment with RU or maybe NU (might ladder there too soon), feel free!

me n a friend of mine were playing SS back when it was cg (before crown tundra) watching showdown lives, found about smogon tour and smogon forums so I made an acc, joined like 2 smogon tour rounds and got owned then disappeared for like 2 years lol

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I started lurking without an account because of FlamingSpade's videos during BW days. However, I decided to make an account when the Monotype community started gaining steam, as I wanted to help the community grow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)