Social Why did you join Smogon?

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
B7866F66-3C8E-4B54-991F-D1B7FF0ABF3E.jpeg

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ménage-à-trois.3465906/

For context—holy shit that is a scary thread lmao—my first account’s username was radio movie, and I later changed it in 2016 when I was a smod to Smogbunny for an Easter gag. But yeah I joined in 2012 to write/QC BW OU and BW LC analyses when I was literally 13…

…and then created this account not knowing the rule and left all of this buried until now. :heart:

The short version of why I joined is because multiplayer was what got me most excited to play Pokémon, so I wanted to play with a community I knew for certain would always be up for battling. Now for the long version:

My exact memory of what happened is blurry since it was so long ago, but I made this account when Gen 4 was just getting started. I was excited to play the games online for the first time, but my friends weren't always around and Gen 4 had comparatively limited online (no random matchmaking, no ranked battles, etc, BDSP having Global Rooms is downright luxorious compared to that!). I looked for places I could find people to play the game with, and that's where Smogon came in!

Smogon is single-handedly what kept me glued to Pokémon at the time. Learning about competitive Pokémon and playing with people who knew all about it made me see the games in a brand new light. I was hooked! Maybe too hooked since I started taking the game way too seriously, so I dropped off after Platinum.

So what made me come back after so long? I have been gone for like 10 years and grew up so I'm for all intents and purposes a new user (hence why this post is so long). Basically history repeat itself; I watched people play BDSP and memories came rushing back watching the game's more difficult battles. I was talked into getting Brilliant Diamond by a friend, and now I'm binging Pokémon content again. It's like the old days came back, except now with more responsibilities, better video quality, and a less shoddy battle simulator.

I'm sorry in advance if younger-me annoyed anyone here, I promise I've matured a lot since then!

I think I joined the forums because I was upset at the complex bans in B/W for drizzle + swift swim but not banning speed boost on Blaziken. Lol. 15 year old me really wanted to use Blaziken I guess.

Apparently I was a bitch back then but I don't remember anything of it, like from 2003-2020 my memory is almost completely blank. I just remember thinking it was dumb that they made an exception for rain so it could still be used, but not for blaze Blaziken.

I fondly look back at the times other battling communities still existed and not everything was about smogon. We had pokemon online, a myriad of servers, and pokemon clans warring each other. We used to read battle logs in order to decide whether to admit a new user in our team and rate each other's builds in our private forums. At a certain point the national communities were so vast and diverse you really didn't have a reason to bother with smogon unless you really wanted to. Nowadays, since I still like building/battling, I return occasionally to play some pokemon but it's not the same without the frens

Well I knew about ps for years but didn’t necessarily get involved with it till 2020,enjoying the experience of competitive. Then I naturally found my way to smogon. The congregation of the masses thread have become my home on smogon. Although I do enjoy battling a ton i enjoy this forum a lot.

Last edited:
I was in Google and found this so i clicked on it and it looked interesting so I maid an account and then found out there was a game so then i joined the game, and now hear I am learning all about Pokémon. Kinda a weird way but yea-
I enjoy playing Pokémon showdown and i enjoy talking to everyone in Pokémon showdown, and I enjoy reading the fourms hear on smogon, hey I mean I even ended up making my own thread, lol.
But either way it was worth it!

It was basically for CAP related stuff (though I was hesitant in making the account) per prompting from Darq.
Also that really awful man really messed me up during my middle schooler years even more (since honestly it wasn't very good to begin with) so as a result I developed a toxic persona and I'm still so so sorry for those I have hurt. I should've known better and earlier but I guess we all mature at our own pace.
Well at least this site is somehow more worth using than Twitter will ever be because the only way you can get popular there is just spout the same memes over and over again, post good takes on Smash or draw anime girls.

Celestial Automaton

Banned deucer.
I have a lot of social anxiety which unfortunately extends to talking to people online. I’ve been trying my own version of exposure therapy. I’ve been a lurker on this site for years so I thought it was a good place to start.

Pokemon has always been my favorite game and I don't think that is ever gonna change.

I have been playing pokemon ever since gen 5 but at that time I didn't even know about smogon (I used to play casually). You see, ever since Roblox added Pokemon Brick Bronze and Pokemon Project in their games collections, I have been playing those games since their beta. I really loved those games and I was actually in the top 100 leaderboards in Brick Bronze. I had filled up almost whole of my pokedex and would wake up every other day to push higher or grind EVs or to breed. I remember the game showing me that I had played more than 300 hrs. Then in 20 April 2018 Roblox banned Brick Bronze cuz of copyright issues.

I was shocked and couldn't believe it. At first I thought it might be some kind of prank... but nope, it was the truth. My friends started playing on their Nintendo Switch but I didn't feel like playing pokemon. After that I went out of station during my college years and forgot completely about pokemon. After my first year in college, Sw/Sh got released and all of my college friends were hyped bout it. I did its playthrough once early in 2019 and kind of liked it. I always thought about getting some competitive pokemon and training them up, but never got the time. But that playthrough was special to me as it revived my liking to pokemon. Then COVID struck and it was quarantine everywhere. That's when I got introduced to showdown in June 2020 and instantly fell in love with it.

Then in December while I was laddering, someone in the OU chat room mentioned smogon and I instantly signed up. And here I am learning more about competitive pokemon, enjoying challenging battles and getting involved in all kinds of stuffs.

ive told this to be a few people but BASICALLY:

i was 14 years old in early 2020. i had been playing pokemon for 2 years at this point, and i was having a good time. i messed around with some competitive stuff, particularly i was really into lgpe wifi battles, but it was not something i was interested in. for most of this early career i thought smogon was dumb and stupid so i never joined. that was until i began hating on youtuber Verlisify who im sure most of u have heard of, and i really did not like him. i trolled his comment section so hard with a ton of alts lmao. then on that fateful day, march 2nd 2020, I decided to make my smogon account solely so that i could go onto the suspect test threads and make meme posts that mention and make fun of verlisify so when he would make a video on the test (he used to do this all the time), he would read my post and like i would be famous on his vids.

holly shit.

I was young and innocent and naive a few years ago and wanted to get super good at pokemon in order to impress a girl.

Sad to report that I failed to get the girl, AND I failed to get super good at pokemon, but happy to report that I've become the very thing I sought to impress.

Society works in mysterious ways I blame the weather wars for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)