Metagame Tier Shift

cat

anemoia
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
gm
:3BoingKKaenSoulcatRESULT
AzumarillABSBANBAN2-0-1 BAN
DrizzleBANBANABS2-0-1 BAN
DroughtDNBBANDNB1-2-0 DNB
King's Rock and Razor FangBANBANBAN3-0-0
As a result, Azumarill, Drizzle, King's Rock and Razor Fang are banned from Tier Shift, Drought remains unbanned, and Damp Rock has been freed!
:azumarill:
Bulky, incredible strength, and fearsome priority in Aqua Jet makes Azumarill a fearsome Belly Drum sweeper. With only 1 turn of setup needed, offensive counterplay needs to live a +6 Aqua Jet and slower, bulkier walls need to live a +6 Play Rough and be able to threaten or force Azumarill out. The list of Pokemon able to do this are countable on one hand (Quagsire and Dondozo). As such, Azumarill was deemed too strong for the tier.

:pelipper: :politoed:
Even with the nerf to rain through the Damp Rock ban, Rain is still a potent teamstyle with behemoths like Barraskewda, Floatzel, and Golduck at its disposal. These abusers proved themselves to be far too strong in Rain and thus Drizzle was voted to be banned.

:kings rock: :razor fang:
These items provide no healthy benefit to the metagame and can force unfavourable situations with abusers like Cloyster, who has a 41~% chance to flinch you with multi-hit moves powered up by ""Skill"" Link, or Beat Up users like Weavile, who has a 43~% chance to flinch you. The council deemed this to be too uncompetitive and chose to ban them.

:torkoal: :ninetales:
Drought has not proven itself to be banworthy at this time of writing. With Drizzle gone that may change, but for now, Drought remains legal.

:damp rock:
Not much reason to keep this banned with Drizzle gone unless manual rain turns out to be overbearing, but that will need time to be seen.

Tagging Kris to implement, thank you!

Last edited:
well im glad i got 3 games in before drizzle was banned. honestly though i think manual rain with a pivot move and damp rock may be even better. lets give it a whirl.

I feel like Giratina-Origin has been very underrated in this meta.

:giratina-origin: @ Griseous Core
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Poltergeist
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Poltergeist is an absolute monster of a move.

Okay so as expected rain is actually better now with manual setters +damp rock. Tornadus and Thundurus are sickeningly strong, and this nasty plot/rest set is supereffective against stall. Basculegion does basculegion things same as in regular play. everything else exists to support these 3. tatsugiri is a filler slot, i find it useful to have a water immunity/ second stallbreaker/ hazard remover all in one but it is by no means a necessity.
only started playing 2 hours ago already top 150 on ladder. can easily see this team breaching top 50 or higher.

tornadus
79 140 95 150 105 136 BST 705
:row:
thundurus
79 135 90 145 100 131 BST 680
:psycry:

:sv/Persian-Alola: @ Damp Rock
Ability: Fur Coat
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Parting Shot
- Dark Pulse

:sv/Tornadus: (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Bleakwind Storm
- Weather Ball
- Rest

:sv/Thundurus: (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- U-turn
- Hammer Arm

:sv/Electrode-Hisui: @ Damp Rock
Ability: Soundproof
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Volt Switch
- Chloroblast
- Foul Play

:sv/Basculegion: (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Wave Crash
- Psychic Fangs
- Flip Turn

:sv/Tatsugiri: @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Nasty Plot

i feel like people are forgetting how good meowscarada is now, lol
the thing may not get a ton of new stats, but the utility you get cannot be understated!
new stats: 76, 125, 85, 96, 85, 138
so on top of reaching the same speed stat as base zacian/zamazenta, the choice band set is absolutely NASTY. flower tricks are hard to switch into, even on resists, and with hazards in play from something like mudsdale, sandaconda, or even glimmora its a nightmare. combine that with u-turn pivoting, play rough for pesky dragons, and knock off serving as a really strong stab move, plus being even more utility. hell, you could even run scarf to catch boosting quiver dancers off guard like sensu/pom-pom oricorio with a strong knock off.
the thing has served as really good glue for my teams when they need a strong, fast pivot. combining it with stuff like specs electrode-hisui is a pretty solid core for volt-turn teams.

(take what i say with a grain of salt, i'm nowhere near the best player)

Wanted to chime in on my first time theory crafting for Tier Shift (Yet somehow I was at like 1500+ elo starting this gen, what xD) and it's actually one of my favs from Gen 5!

:sv/cryogonal:
Cryogonal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Haze/Snowscape

YES I LIKE THE SNOWFLAKE >:( anywho besides unga bunga rain, hence the hail tech (should've stayed named hail) it's a fun little special wall swiss army knife with a good STAB move to sling off, Haze, Recover and Spin! It's pretty frail still because of its peak typing, but I so far have been enjoying rocking it on stall. Straight up though the Snowscape tech isn't really a meme, you get eaten alive by sun and rain teams so this helps serve as damage control for that matchup pretty nicely AND gives you a defense boost :)

:azumarill:
Bulky, incredible strength, and fearsome priority in Aqua Jet makes Azumarill a fearsome Belly Drum sweeper. With only 1 turn of setup needed, offensive counterplay needs to live a +6 Aqua Jet and slower, bulkier walls need to live a +6 Play Rough and be able to threaten or force Azumarill out. The list of Pokemon able to do this are countable on one hand (Quagsire and Dondozo). As such, Azumarill was deemed too strong for the tier.
Nice to know I was right about Azu. The bulk + great defensive typing seemed like an issue as well as many other factors.

This meta has far too much untapped potential.

:giratina-origin:
As mentioned before by me, Poltergeist is an extremely strong move. Barely any Pokemon can tank a 200 BP move. It is also the best defogger in the meta.

:okidogi:
88/143/130/73/101/95
Single-handedly destroys any bugs and fighting types trying to kill it and is just a better version of Sneasel-Hisui (which is mid).

:scream tail:
115/90/124/90/140/136
The bulkiest stealth rock setter and also gets access to Thunder Wave and Wish, which are great supporting options. This is really annoying to face, especially in a game where my Lycanroc-Dusk could have won if it was not paralyzed.

:magearna: :glastrier: :dialga: :ursaluna:
I really do not understand the near absence of Trick Room in this meta. Slow attackers, such as Ursaluna, become even more menacing under Trick Room with monstrous stats. Furthermore, Trick Room Pokemon are generally in the lower tiers, so they get more bulk to set it up.

Now, to go over some absolutely unviable Pokemon I have been seeing.
:whiscash:
110/108/103/106/101/90
What is the deal with people using Whiscash? Base average stats compared to a normal Pokemon, it can set up Spikes, and so what? Many other Pokemon can do that. Dragon Dance is terrible on a base 108 attack Pokemon.

:sneasel: :sneasel-hisui:
55/125/85/65/105/145
Sneasel is useless. Using Eviolite does not do much to a Pokemon that is supposed to be offensive, and its 125 base attack is measly compared to other prominent attackers in the meta.

I'm also starting to think Revavroom deserves a ban and would like to hear others' opinions about this.
:revavroom:
80/139/110/74/87/110
After one Shift Gear, what are you supposed to do anymore? Steels die to High Horsepower, the best priority Pokemon cannot stop it, and defensive Pokemon trying to use Will-O-Wisp die to Gunk Shot or Iron Head.

The only Pokemon that can counter this monster are Corviknight, which is horrible in this meta, and Quagsire.

Last edited:
Another good Pokemon I have been seeing is Forretress.

:forretress:
75/110/160/80/80/60
Forretress becomes an absolute bulky monster (although slightly less physically bulky than Scream Tail) in Tier Shift. Rapid Spin prevents opposing Pokemon from setting up hazards, Body Press becomes extremely dangerous to face, and Gyro Ball/Iron Head can deal with Fairy Pokemon. Furthermore, the lack of a good defensive hazard remover in Tier Shift causes the only viable Fire strategy to be Sun, which further benefits Forretress. The fastest Fire types, Pyroar and Salazzle, are both special attackers and thus walled by Chansey.

Yo guys use slaking
it has 150/190/130/125/95/130 base stats

:sv/slaking:
Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 648-764 (92 - 108.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Drifblim: 422-498 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
idk other calcs cuz i dont play tier shift a lot :P

Yo guys use slaking
it has 150/190/130/125/95/130 base stats

:sv/slaking:
Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 648-764 (92 - 108.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Drifblim: 422-498 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
idk other calcs cuz i dont play tier shift a lot :P
Truant still sucks, and Focus Punch is far too risky to use.

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
DLC 2: Early Christmas Gifts (we unbanned a lot of things)
Heya! We looked at the pokemon returning to Paldea, and also the pokemon who were already on the banlist. As a result, we had a massive slate!

Deoxys-Attack is banned!
Calyrex-Ice, Eternatus, Groudon, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, and Zacian are unbanned!
Additionally, Arceus-Grass and Arceus-Ice are unbanned!

Tagging Kris to implement, thank you for your insanely hard work over the festive period :quagchamppogsire: Additionally, thanks to YOU for playing this metagame and making it tons of fun to lead! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and I hope y'all enjoy laddering for the rest of the year!

You may see the breakdown for mons below. Anything not in the table below was unanimously unbanned.
We additionally voted on Lugia, Ho-Oh, the Lati Twins, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem (all formes), Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings, and Deoxys (Neutral, Speed and Defense), but none of them were deemed worthy of a ban.
BoingKKaenSoulcatRESULT
Arceus (all formes)Discuss FurtherDiscuss FurtherDiscuss FurtherFurther discussion was had
Calyrex-ShadowUnbanBANBANBAN
Hoopa-UnboundBANUnbanBANBAN
KoraidonAbstainBANUnbanNo action taken (remains banned)
MedichamBANBANBANBAN
MiraidonUnbanBANBANBAN
Zacian-CrownedUnbanBANBANBAN
Deoxys-AttackBANBANAbstainBAN

Some reasonings:
:deoxys-attack: Deoxys-Attack was banned for being too strong on the mixed spectrum while outspeeding everything. While it is true it is extremely frail, its potency on both sides of the spectrum and the inability to revenge kill it well made us feel it would not be suited to this metagame.
:calyrex-shadow: :hoopa-unbound: :koraidon: :medicham: :miraidon: :zacian-crowned: The council deemed these mons unworthy of a retest.
:lugia: unbanned because it's bad
:ho-oh: unbanned because it's bad
:latios: :latias: unbanned because they're actually bad
:reshiram: Not technically outclassed by much but it's really slow and Chansey walls it forever. Also rocks weak.
:zekrom: Interested to see how this plays but once again it's slow
:kyurem: slow and bad
:kyurem-white: :kyurem-black: Also slow and very easy to pressure out. Additionally, rocks weak.
:solgaleo: Slow and not strong enough to make up for it
:lunala: Slow + Chansey
:necrozma-dusk-mane: :necrozma-dawn-wings: Similar reasonings. They are far stronger but not to the point where they would feel out of place in the metagame.
:deoxys: Neutral is frail and not strong enough to make up for it, Speed and Defense do nothing of note except throw hazards down.
:calyrex-ice: Way too slow, and not bulky enough to make up for it's typing in this metagame
:eternatus: Probably the most dubious addition on this list so we will be keeping an eye on it, but overall it's only moderately strong and moderately bulky. The speed and utility is the main draw here, but even then it isn't outspeeding everything.
:groudon: Slow
:mewtwo: It's fast but not to the point where it's outspeeding everything. It's also not that bulky given it's typing. However, we appreciate that it is strong and it does have the tools to take apart the most common walls, so we will be keeping an eye on it.
:rayquaza: Could definitely be decent but it's rocks weak and slow.
:zacian: After it's nerf it's not very strong compared to the standards of the tier
:arceus-grass::arceus-ice: BugCeus hasn't done anything of note and we decided that these forms would be interesting to test
:kyogre: Banned by technicality since it's only ability is illegal :worrywhirl:

Last edited:
I'm no expert on the meta quite yet but being someone who is of the top 50 ( i peaked at 57) ( p sure im barley top 200 rn ) on ladder i think im mediocrely qualified to comment on meta game picks i might come back with a short analysis of the main team i spam on ladder but for now id like to bring note to some REALLY good pokemon to use some i think are a bit broken and other i generally think are overrated and other i think work p good but not at a broken level
:Rhydon: 105/160/150/75/75/70 is a DISGUSTING stat line For starters an Attack stat 10 points larger then groudon and a defense stat shaming even deoxys defense rhydon Works amazingly in almost all archetypes his item varity isnt even locked in to eviolite he makes great use of leftovers cb lorb or a resist berry one top of item variety he also has a very good movepool eq and stone edge are nice stabs and the elemental punches (mega horn is also funny) and supercell slam makes most common "checks" very shaking especially after a sd
+2 252 Atk Rhydon Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Tablets of Ruin Wo-Chien: 195-229 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Rhydon Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 345-406 (49 - 57.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
Getting up a Swords dance isnt a hard task by any measn you will get several opperunitys a game simply due to rhydons defenses(Reminder eviolite is still here) and insane field pressure
252+ Atk Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 224-266 (63.8 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ( how it feels to be washed up)
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Haxorus Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 238-282 (67.8 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Crabominable Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 240-284 (68.3 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
in short ( this was quite long dw theyll all be alot shorter) ) rhydon is STUPID good now to move on to his step cousin Tyranitar
:tyranitar: 100/154/130/115/120/81 God if only dpp tyraniar was real... Well now it IS ! Powercreep isnt real and dd mixed cb and even defensive sets are REAL . Tyranitar has been(nasty) Plotting (he doesnt get that) quietly planning in the past years for a come back since it gave up on being even top 10 way back in gen 7 Knock off, heavy slam stone edge and either eq or brick break provide amazing coverage for a cb set hitting several meta relevant threats hard
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 276-325 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage
Dont sleep on his defensive side either av coming off of 100/120 special bulk is a hit demolisher this makes gim amazing on sand archetypes or just as a stand alone defensive offensive pivot
252 SpA Lustrous Globe Palkia-Origin Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 134-162 (33.1 - 40%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 302-359 (74.7 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dont sleep on dd either 81 might not seem liek much esp in tier shift but TRUST dd Can and will catch a team by surprise and easily overpower what you might've thought was a check just after 1 you can achieve some p crazy feats
(adamant -1 from the crunch defense drop calc) 252+ Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Tyranitar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 356-420 (90.3 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fezandipiti: 400-472 (105.2 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tyranitar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 169-199 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 214-252 (64 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
in short The tar is back . speaking of sdef stats Yall wanna see something disgust something grotesque something that feels nasty to even use
:chansey: 250/30/30/60/130/75 what even is there to say this thing along with ddon and rhydon make me ask why was eviolite allowed to stay i could just show you some crazy focus blast calc but its not like you need convincing this thing deserves the worst tbh id say ban it but then all the ubers would become an issue this is like pretty Privilege but for Pokémon
252 Atk Life Orb Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 634-749 (90 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO id vomit but id assume chansey gains joy from that
to speed run some good picks
:Palkia-Origin: 90/100/100/150/120/120
uber stats amazing on Hyper offense is dcently fast even for ts standards and breaks throguth most teams even without a Tier boost stab hydro go BRRRR
:Inteleon: 70/110/90/150/90/145
if palkia called intellion twin on twitter intealon would take that as an insult and block them in short faster frailer palkia o whio can run specs and has u turn
:Zoroark-Hisui: 55/120/80/145/80/130 new Form who dis ?Ark h things but with better stats has u turn and in a tier in which you can type close combat into the team builder sort by pu and probably find deos atk level attack stats he works quite well. just dont get hit with like any move ever :3
:Sneasel-Hisui: 55/125/85/65/105/145 ink called them both trash earlier im defiantly gonna come back with a full in depth post on Sneasl h (my fav in this tier) but in short sneasel h is Quite good as a fast offensive late game cleaner 125 may not seem like much but after a sd things begin to drop and wit h eviolite you are geruenteed a sd . plus this thing is extremly scary if your check for it goes down since it almost always gets 2 hit on most switch ins 1on the switch and the next sincefew mon are faster in short experiment is p good if you know how to use it
:Persian-Alola: walking defense stat :3
252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 244-291 (90 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
speaking of :gallade: 68/150/90/90/140/105
ngl this mon struggles on the surface it seems extremely good but it struggles to get in is slow and cant usally sweep fully without a boost 9 times outta ten your gonna wanna run adamant lorb agility
:slither-wing: 85/155/99/105/125/101 so amazing just the uturn all rounder of the meta has priority status good support move pool can run cb lorb boots leftovers works on offense defense bug fighting is also p good a fighting AND a ground resist is also nice (see the joke i made in Ark H's description) this thing really does it all
:palossand: 85/105/140/130/105/65 (insert joke i made in the Z ark H's description god i peaked with that joke ) this is like a real defensive ghost type like with recovery and everything its stats are finally good enough to make middling use of water compact! but for the most part just a good mon with amazing defenses
:Scream-tail: 115/90/124/90/140/136 sr mon good amazing defenses SUPER fast and runs a nasty cm set
:Quagsire: :quagchamppogsire: 95/105/105/85/85/65 unaware toxic,protect,Eq,protect,switch,Come in,Toxic,protect,RECOVER,Toxic,protect,Eq,Switch, God forbid you give it spikes over water stab

32388E0D-E377-47DF-B52C-26937FCFB3BA.jpeg

This has been it for me tdy (im tired i assume this post will go relatively unnoticed) i might be back or maybe not :3 ^-^ till then if you use any of these mon you’re breaching my copyright and my lawyers WILL be in touch
:duraludon: 70/120/140/145/75/110 ink has sent a carrier pidgeon to my home and forced me to add him P good satker ABUSES eviolite with amazing typing sadly a move pool of stab moves draco meteror and flash cannon and then like dark pulse

InkyDarkBird: sychillz im confused what pokemon replace duraludon as a bulky defensive special attacker
sychillz: no one

Last edited:
Well, looks like Gallade going to UU means Scarf Gallade is no longer viable. Duraludon and Rhydon are also weaker as well.
Smeargle now might become an absolute nightmare to deal with with base 90 speed. Registeel, Regirock, and Regice become absolute walls. Sceptile becomes a decent special attacker and Zebstrika becomes a decent physical attacker. Toucannon becomes extremely dangerous with base 150 attack Beak Blast and having okay bulk to Roost and fire off more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)