Tera Raid Set Theorycrafting for Pokemon DLC Mons

Well relatively speaking, the only raids for which what you use matters tend to be 7° due to their gimmicks.
6 star at this point can more or less be rolled over with certain mons, and you definitely aren't running support mons for them anyway (unless you REALLY want to), whereas for 7 stars support mons are relatively standard as they let the actual damage dealers not ... die for one.

So far most of these raids only had 1 "debuff wipe".
Also that's the other issue i have with Burns, something I found out myself during the Chesnaugh event, the raids will clear status (but not debuff) when putting up the shield, which means you end up having to roll the 30% again after that.
Though in a ideal scenario... one could always have both. Well, not all support mons have space for 2 moves, but some do since they'd just spam chilling water anyway after putting up screens

Well, with The Teal Mask finally dropping, I'd like to revive this thread to talk about some of the new mons that are now available, starting with the Pokemon Pink mascot:

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
Tera Type: w/e
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Bold / Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fake Tears / Helping Hand / Tickle / Chilling Water / Reflect / Light Screen / Gravity / Life Dew / Misty Terrain / Rain Dance / Sunny Day / Heal Pulse / Charm / Icy Wind

Finally, a nice and bulky Friend Guard user! Friend Guard reduces incoming damage to your allies by 25%, a vital passive buff that everyone will benefit from. Clefairy itself has an extremely colorful support movepool, and can do just about anything you want it to. I can definitely see this Pokemon becoming a supportive staple, just a shame it's so slow unlike level 100 Umbreon.

Munkidori @ Shell Bell
Ability: Toxic Chain
Tera Type: Psychic / Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Nasty Plot
- Stored Power / Venoshock
- Taunt / Sludge Bomb

You're looking at the absolute strongest Pokemon that has the combination of Acid Spray + Nasty Plot + Stored Power in the game coming off of that base 130 SpA. Its Toxic Chain ability is also nice for Tera Poison sets, with a pretty good chance to proc the ability with Acid Spray and, more likely, Sludge Bomb, which can then combo with Venoshock. As a Poison attacker, it might be tied with Gengar for SpA, but Munkidori is noticeably bulkier with 88 / 66 90 bulk, and the speed tiers between them are so similar, it hardly matters.

Munkidori also has some good support options other than Acid Spray; Taunt, Clear Smog, Helping Hand, Mud-Slap, Light Screen, and Parting Shot are all viable options.

Infernape @ Shell Bell / Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fighting / Fire
Modest Nature
- Fake Tears
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere / Blast Burn
- Taunt / Slack Off / Flamethrower

Infernape brings quite a lot as a Fighting-type Special Attacker. Fake Tears is a much more consistent option than Lucario's Metal Sound, being 100% accurate. It also has reliable recovery in the form of Slack Off. It might also just be the strongest special Fire attacker thanks to its combination of Fake Tears, Nasty Plot, and Blast Burn, which can annihilate most 5 star raids in one shot.

+6 252+ SpA Life Orb Infernape Blast Burn vs. -6 Lvl 75 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Grass Blissey: 9876-11623 (100.7 - 118.6% of 20x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ SpA Life Orb Infernape Atk Cheer Blast Burn vs. -6 Lvl 75 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Dragon Hydreigon: 5279-6210 (107.2 - 126.2% of 20x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO

Some other discoveries I've made recently:

Arbok @ Wide Lens
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Screech
- Acid Spray
- Gastro Acid
- Snarl / Mud-Slap

Arbok is actually a legit support mon lol. This evo line is the only one in the series with access to Intimidate + Screech, and it has Acid Spray as a superb bonus. Gastro Acid is a cool tech that's used for anything with an ability that blocks stat-reducing moves, like Clear Body, Big Pecks (blocks Defense-lowering moves), Soundproof (for Screech and Snarl) etc. Last move is a filler since Arbok gets nothing else.

Kommo-o @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Screech
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Screech
- Belly Drum
- Giga Impact
- Body Slam / Facade

As I suspected, the "Screech Drummers" are both phenomenal. Snorlax dunks on almost every non-Normal resist and just eats special hits for days. Kommo-o is in contention for being one of the best Fighting-type raiders in the game. It's a weaker, but faster Iron Hands that can provide Screech support, and is immune to Spore from the likes of Amoonguss.

Manaphy @ Mystic Water
Ability: Hydration
Tera Type: Water
Modest Nature
- Fake Tears
- Tail Glow / Helping Hand
- Heart Swap / Rain Dance / Helping Hand
- Surf / Hydro Pump

Manaphy is actually stupid, and is going to be a key player in a ton of OHKO builds. The combination of Fake Tears + Tail Glow is absolutely nuclear. Hydration + Rain Dance will heal your status conditions each turn, with said Rain boosting your Water moves. You can even pass your Tail Glow boosts to other Pokemon with Heart Swap. Imagine a Specs Kyogre at +6 SpA on turn 3, with other Manaphy using Fake Tears.

+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Atk Cheer Origin Pulse vs. -6 Lvl 90 0 HP / 128+ SpD Tera Fire Blissey in Rain: 16790-19754 (114.6 - 134.8% of 25x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Indigo Disk has dropped, so I'm necroing this thread once again to showcase two builds I've been using that came with this DLC:

Gouging Fire @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Stellar / doesn't matter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Burning Bulwark
- Breaking Swipe
- Dragon Cheer
- Morning Sun / Temper Flare / Leer

I'm loving Paradox Entei. Burning Bulwark is such a massive middle finger to any physical attacker that uses contact moves, which are like 90% of them lol. A guaranteed burn against shielded bosses that also protects you from damage? Sign me tf up. Breaking Swipe further de-claws physical threats, and Dragon Cheer gives your allies a +1 boost to their crit chances, or +2 if they're Dragon-type (which is amazing for the Koraidon/Miraidon players). The last slot is kind of filler. Morning Sun for recovery, Temper Flare for an actual damaging move to help with shield, or Leer to drop Defense against the boss while you have physical-attacking teammates.

This isn't required or anything, but support mons may actually want to try investing in the Stellar type. You keep your base typing while doing significantly more to shields since ALL of your moves get boosted, and since it's a tera raid, there's no restriction to how many times you can get said boost for your moves.

:serperior:
Serperior @ Expert Belt / Shell Bell
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Tera Blast
- Taunt / Synthesis / Gastro Acid / Breaking Swipe / Light Screen / Reflect

Oh my God. Y'all don't even know. Serperior is here, and it's one of the best mons ever. We all know Contrary Leaf Storm's +2 SpA effect, but we also now have Stellar type Tera Blast, the best coverage move Serperior could have asked for, being super effective against every raid boss ever while BOOSTING its Special Attack instead of lowering it. It's just not fair. Pair this up with a Fake Tears / Acid Spray mon and it's over.

Haven't had the chance to play DLC 2 yet, so this is just pure guessing. On the topic of Alcremie as a general support, I think the only two necessary moves it needs to succeed would be Decorate and Recover for self-sustain. Because of that, I think it's possible to approach building a set with it in two different ways.
Alcremie @ Terrain Extender
Bold or Calm Nature
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Decorate
- Recover
- Helping Hand
- Misty Terrain
The full support approach. Aroma Veil prevents Taunt (and Torment, Attract, Encore, etc.) messing with both Alcremie and its teammates from setting up (apart from the ability wipe), and Misty Terrain protects the team from status—this basically makes the setup phase generally foolproof in raids. Other moves that could replace Helping Hand or Misty Terrain seem a bit limited due to the movepool—there's Charm, Baby-Doll Eyes, Aromatic Mist, Fake Tears, and probably some Fairy-type move if the ability wipe is too annoying. I know there was a theoretical set with Alcremie that has Fake Tears earlier in the thread, but it becomes useless when the shield is active.

Alcremie @ Pixie Plate / Shell Bell
Modest Nature
Ability: Aroma Veil / Sweet Veil
- Decorate
- Recover
- Draining Kiss / Alluring Voice / Stored Power
- Psych Up
A hybrid support-offense set. Once it's done fully setting up a teammate with Decorate, Alcremie can copy their stat boosts with Psych Up and contribute to dealing damage itself, while also being able to still sustain itself with both priority Draining Kiss and Recover. It's possible to go with Alluring Voice or Dazzling Gleam with Shell Bell for more immediate damage if not going first isn't important, or potentially a 260 BP Stored Power if Alcremie copies a full +6/+6 teammate. Not sure if this would be ideal for raids in general, but I guess you can potentially have two fully primed attackers in 4 turns instead of 6?

Right now I am mostly asking to myself: assuming that you dont need to shed one of your dual typing for better matchup against coverage, would there ever a reason where sametype tera would be better than stellar tera in raids?

Cause I am considering slowly swapping my main raid mons (like Annihilape, Iron Hands, the Raidons and Arceus) to Stellar tera as I doubt it'd ever have competitive usage anyway so not like I'd need to save the shards.

Alcremie @ Pixie Plate / Shell Bell
Modest Nature
Ability: Aroma Veil / Sweet Veil
- Decorate
- Recover
- Draining Kiss / Alluring Voice / Stored Power
- Psych Up
A hybrid support-offense set. Once it's done fully setting up a teammate with Decorate, Alcremie can copy their stat boosts with Psych Up and contribute to dealing damage itself, while also being able to still sustain itself with both priority Draining Kiss and Recover. It's possible to go with Alluring Voice or Dazzling Gleam with Shell Bell for more immediate damage if not going first isn't important, or potentially a 260 BP Stored Power if Alcremie copies a full +6/+6 teammate. Not sure if this would be ideal for raids in general, but I guess you can potentially have two fully primed attackers in 4 turns instead of 6?
I think if you're running Draining Kiss, you don't really need Recover all that much, and can just slot in Fake Tears to even further boost your damage output while also boosting everyone else's. Pixie Plate-boosted DK at -6 SpDef will heal you plenty even if it's against most shielded targets.

Right now I am mostly asking to myself: assuming that you dont need to shed one of your dual typing for better matchup against coverage, would there ever a reason where sametype tera would be better than stellar tera in raids?

Cause I am considering slowly swapping my main raid mons (like Annihilape, Iron Hands, the Raidons and Arceus) to Stellar tera as I doubt it'd ever have competitive usage anyway so not like I'd need to save the shards.
I believe if your mon is running only one attacking move, and it's single-typed, you may want to consider keeping it in their base tera type. Not worth the lengthy investment at that point until Stellar Tera events drop.

I believe if your mon is running only one attacking move, and it's single-typed, you may want to consider keeping it in their base tera type. Not worth the lengthy investment at that point until Stellar Tera events drop.
In that case yes, definitely, which is why I mentioned these 5, as they're all dual typed (or in case of Arceus, adaptable to whatever type) and often run both stabs at very least.

Though tbh thinking of it, in the specific case of Miraidon, probably the base Tera Electric stays the best option since that's realistically the only time you'd care, as there's way better options for "dragon stab" (and also Mono-electric tends to be a better type than elec-dragon most of the time for raids)

Koraidon definitely comes to mind as something that would really enjoy the Stellar type, as that way you get the tera bonus on all 3 of Dragon, Fire and Fighting, and while Dragon tends to not be something you care for, both the Fighting stab and Fire coverage are great.

These builds are untested, but they absolutely have potential imo:

The Gouging Fire Alternatives:

:entei: :ho-oh:

Entei @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Stellar / Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Helping Hand
- Snarl / Leer
- Will-O-Wisp

Ho-Oh @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Life Dew
- Helping Hand
- Will-O-Wisp

Sacred Fire is now in the game with its 50% burn chance, letting it be yet another semi-consistent burn option against shielded bosses. If you're up against a physical threat that exclusively uses contact moves, I'd still say go with Gouging Fire most of the time (also has Breaking Swipe, and provides crit boosts), but there can be times where your physical threat uses non-contact moves (Earthquake, Seed Bomb, Gunk Shot, etc) and Burning Bulwark won't work for that. Thankfully, Entei and Ho-Oh have both Sacred Fire and Will-o-Wisp, the former for shield and the latter for before and after the shield. Both of them also get Helping Hand, but both also have significant differences. Ho-Oh has the added Flying-typing to shield it from Earthquake users, as well as Life Dew to heal the party. Entei has Snarl for mixed threats, isn't weak to Electric-types, and can use Leer alongside physical teammates. It also has Inner Focus to block Intimidate.

The Sinnoh Fossils:

:bastiodon: :rampardos:

Bastiodon @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Fighting / Stellar
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 Spe
Bold Nature
- Screech
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Mud-Slap / Taunt

Rampardos @ Life Orb / Shell Bell / Wide Lens
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Screech
- Rock Slide
- Head Smash

Unlike the previous two, these aren't interchangeable; they're doing different things entirely. This might be Bastiodon's best generation ever. It can finally stop being so passive thanks to the combination of Screech, Iron Defense, and Body Press, and Bastiodon is the "strongest" Pokemon that can pull this off. Technically, Kommo-o is better at doing this since it has STAB Fighting, but it's better off doing Screech + Belly Drum. The Speed is for a benchmark that I've seen some communities use; the investment hits 143 Speed, letting it outrun 6 Star neutral speed nature + 31 IVs Tyranitar, and in turn, will let you outrun quite a bit of other slow 5 or 6 star threats. Bastiodon's HP is so low, and its Defense is so high, that defensively, you get more out of maxing HP while using this spread.

Meanwhile, Rampardos is the best physical Rock-type attacker in the game, hands down. Sheer Force-boosted Rock Slides are pretty much Stone Edge with better accuracy, and off 165 Attack, it, and the ludicrous Head Smash, do nuclear levels of damage, especially after Screech and Swords Dance.

Quick shoutout to this pretty clever support Mew set I just ran into.

It shown Taunt and Light Screen first. So far nothing special, generic support.
Then used 2x offensive cheer and a heal cheer. Ok, maybe it only had psychic and since the raid was a Fairy Reuniculus, didnt feel like it would do much damage.

Then it clicked Transform to transform on the Zacian (aka me) that was at +5 and went Pepega on boss quickly finishing it off (incidentally also got another +1 from Intrepid Sword activating).

It never shown the 4th move but I'm assuming it was Reflect. I'm definitely stealing this set, sounds pretty fun to use on generic 6 star raids and may actually have some use for 7* with Stellar tera

In my case, I don't plan on making a Stellar tera Azumarill in the near future because I already have Water and Fairy builds that usually will not need to use both types over another utility slot, and not being Water/Fairy hasn't mattered too much yet, though I guess resisting Water might have been nice for Samurott. We'll see if a future boss necessitates it but I'm not too concerned about it for now.

In terms of new DLC2 options, I think Coaching is a pretty solid new move for raids since it affects all 3 allies, so it's pretty free support if they're physical or fighting a physical boss.

An interesting weird quirk with Dragon Cheer in raids, is that you can only use it once apparently.

I've joined a (cursed) raid where I used Dragon Cheer turn 1, then all 3 the others died turn 1 because cannot resist Belly Drum against way faster mons, so I was like "uh guess i'll use it again", but I have been just getting the "But It Failed" message despite none of the allies having the buff anymore.

I think if you're running Draining Kiss, you don't really need Recover all that much, and can just slot in Fake Tears to even further boost your damage output while also boosting everyone else's. Pixie Plate-boosted DK at -6 SpDef will heal you plenty even if it's against most shielded targets.
I thought about slotting Draining Kiss over Recover for an extra moveslot, but I'm not sure if Alcremie can afford it. Fake Tears doesn't work in cases when the raid opponent brings the shield up and/or wipes away the SpD drops (especially if it does it more than once). Also, Alcremie would still need to dedicate 3 turns to fully set up a teammate (and another to set itself up) or debuff the opponent in its pre-shield phase before it can start attacking, so I think having extra security in Recover can be justified.

Last edited:
Something I just realized about :kommo-o: since talking about Coaching; it learns Metal Sound now thanks to the DLC.

Kommo-o @ Wide Lens
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Cheer / Breaking Swipe
- Coaching
- Screech
- Metal Sound

It can now help both sides of the attacking spectrum. Pretty wild, if you ask me. This is phenomenal support.

Last edited:
Speaking of supportive sets, I was cooking a couple stuff earlier...

:giratina: Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
- Breaking Swipe
- Skitter Smack
- Bulldoze
- Shadow Force / Hex / Shadow Claw

Considering how chonky Giratina is, I can see it leveraging the bulk to just be a strong "damage debuffer". Access to all 3 of Breaking Swipe, Skitter Smack (why does it even learn it?) and Bulldoze lets you debuff attack, spatk and speed through shields, and the addition of Stellar tera means you don't have to ditch the somewhat decent defensive type while being able to actually bonk shields due to getting stab on everything.

:deoxys-defense: Deoxys-Defense @ Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold/Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Skill Swap / Reflect
- Recover

On other hand this is a new addition we just got, I just figured that we can actually have a insanely chonky psychic type that can just do usual Stored Power stuff while also providing a non-squishy Skill Swap (though thinking of it, skill swapping pressure may be a very stupid idea...) or screens, and due to Recover access it can run Covert Cloak without losing survivability.

Behold the power of Smeargle.

:smeargle:
Smeargle @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Def / 236 SpD
Impish / Bold Nature
- Simple Beam
- Recover
- Grav Apple / Lumina Crash
- Fire Lash / Acid Spray

The above set is just the tip of the Bergmite, but it's probably the fastest way to help beat a raid. Simple Beam gives the opponent the Simple ability, making your debuffing attacks doubly effective, which is especially nice for the physical attacks, making them screech-the-attack. Simple Beam got much more accessible now that we have Latios, which learns it via level-up. Recover helps with longevity due to Smeargle's poor bulk. The reason we're running two copies of effectively the same move is for matchup coverage. For example, Sap Sipper mons would be immune to Grav Apple, so that's what Fire Lash is for (basically if you can't get off your Simple Beam, or if you're not running Simple Beam, period). Steel-types are immune to Acid Spray, hence why we have Lumina Crash. You could mix and match with literally anything; Cosmic Power, Cotton Guard, or Amnesia to further boost your defenses, a Screen, Life Dew, Decorate, Helping Hand, we'd be here forever. Point is, Smeargle is here and it's stupid OP. Just mind your bulk.

The only problem with Smeargle is setting up its moveset is annoying.

Depending on the move you either have to set up a Ditto relay or use the repeatable Coaching double battles (Ryme and I presume BBE4). And you only get one thing of Sketch per go so you gotta do it multiple times, relearning Sketch between this.

I was really hoping that them bringing it back would lead to them just adding some NPC to let you learn the moves out of battle provided you had a Pokemon with the move, but....no. Gotta do it the long way.

Depending on the move you either have to set up a Ditto relay or use the repeatable Coaching double battles (Ryme and I presume BBE4). And you only get one thing of Sketch per go so you gotta do it multiple times, relearning Sketch between this.

I was really hoping that them bringing it back would lead to them just adding some NPC to let you learn the moves out of battle provided you had a Pokemon with the move, but....no. Gotta do it the long way.
To make matters worse, I wanted to see if Sketch'd moves could be relearned, and they still can't. :psycry:

I am not sold on Smeargle regardless.
Even considering the infinite movepool, it's still Smeargle. You have to tank repeated hits, on a very bad defensive type, and nonexistant stats. To make it worse, even assuming you get lucky with Moody, the stat buffs will eventually get wiped leaving you with just the debuffs and making you waste timer due to the constant spam of buff/debuff.

I am not sold on Smeargle regardless.
Even considering the infinite movepool, it's still Smeargle. You have to tank repeated hits, on a very bad defensive type, and nonexistant stats. To make it worse, even assuming you get lucky with Moody, the stat buffs will eventually get wiped leaving you with just the debuffs and making you waste timer due to the constant spam of buff/debuff.
You wouldn't be running Moody. Own Tempo is better to avoid being confused, plus Moody can lower a defensive stat even further. I'd say give it a shot if you have the time to build one. It's been serving me well so far, tbh.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Why use a Ditto relay when you can use a Smeargle relay? Especially for support moves that can't KO the wild Smeargle... It's fast and easy
(And since I can't think of a single strong move you would like to Sketch, I'd argue that Smeargle relay can survive anything you want to teach your own Smeargle)

Why use a Ditto relay when you can use a Smeargle relay? Especially for support moves that can't KO the wild Smeargle... It's fast and easy
(And since I can't think of a single strong move you would like to Sketch, I'd argue that Smeargle relay can survive anything you want to teach your own Smeargle)
Smeargle relay also works outside of certain moves, yes.

It's all just so ... annoying, regardless

While I was reading through OU out of curiosity as per usual, I read that Minior got a handful new tools this gen, so I thought I could cook something

Minior @ Leftovers
Ability: Shields Down
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Sandstorm / Calm Mind
- Scorching Sands / Power Gem

Minior sets as a somewhat unique support mon due to being a non-psychic double screener with status immunity.
Particularly interesting against certain 6* that REALLY love to spam status.
The option to either go full support while phishing for status with Scorching Sands, or have CM + Power Gem for some damage is nice as well, as once you drop low you get the option to pew pew a bit as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)