Resource RU Cores for ORAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
permission granted from atomicllamas
part of the OP stolen from Arikado

Crisp Banner done by unfixable
RU Cores

Welcome to the RU Good Cores thread for ORAS, where you can discuss your favourite cores to use or the cores that you think will work really well. This is also the place where you can discuss the viability of the cores posted by other members

Effective cores are very important in competitive Pokemon, and any good player uses them, intentionally or not. Defensive cores rely on covering a lot of attacking types and common threats within the core, while also offering team support, so that the core is useful even when walled. On the other hand, offensive cores still like having the common attacking types covered between its members, but offensive synergy is most important. Be it one member of the core attracting Pokemon that another member can easily switch into and force out, one member luring and weakening the checks and counters of another, or one member being able to beat the Pokemon that the other can't, those are the characteristics that are wanted from a good offensive core. Finally, there are mixed or balanced cores, as well as support and pivoting cores, which blend in into offensive and defensive cores. Support or pivoting elements in cores aim to either provide easier switch-in and set up chances to offensive Pokemon, or help to wall and stall out the opponent in the case of defensive cores.

The aim of this thread is to help people who are new to RU, or even experienced players, find cores that they enjoy using, so that they can build their teams and use them effectively on the ladder. Therefore, I hope that with every post made, you can respect what this thread is meant for and NOT post shit cores or cores with bad movesets, examples being Amnesia+Iron Defense Registeel. On seeing this type of movesets, your post will be deleted.

It would be nice if you can post cores that have been tested and be ready to back up your core and reason with people who question the viability of your core. If you could provide good teammates for the core, that could be nice, but it is definitely optional.

This is just a notice to all the people who posted their cores in their past thread: If you have any movesets to change due to the tier changes and some mons getting banned, please PM on here or on PS (where I go under the same name), and I will make the appropriate changes

I guess I should post a core as an example:
+

Movesets:
Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

This core is an offensive core that supports each other in destroying their various checks/counters. Moltres helps Dragalge weaken Bronzong, Escavalier, Registeel, Magneton and Mega Steelix, which can all take on Dragalge pretty nicely if at a decent amount of health. Dragalge helps Moltres weaken Regirock, Lanturn, Alomomola and Slowking.

The speed on Dragalge helps it outspeed Alomomola, so coupled with U-turn from Moltres on the predicted switch-in, Choice Specs Adaptability Draco Meteor can hit something hard, regardless of whether it switches or stays in.

Good teammates for the core are Golbat/Gligar, to provide Defog support to ensure that Moltres doesn't get worn down by Stealth Rock.

From user Spirit:
So I wanna share some cores I've been using oo

+

This one is pretty simple. Pangoro lures in Gligar and destroys it with Ice Punch, which takes out one road block for Doublade. Pangoro also lures in Fairys and uses Parting Shot to weaken them, this allows Doublade to set up on just about every Fairy (aside from Special Attacking Mega Altaria) with ease. Pangoro is also an excellent user of Knock Off, which works well by softening up various physical walls for Doublade, among those are Alomomola and Weezing. Basically Pangoro can either dismember most physical walls so that Doublade can sweep easier or draw in the ones that Doublade can set up on itself.
Pangoro (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Parting Shot
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

+

With the addition of Drain Punch to its movepool, Slurpuff basically only has one counter, and that's Doublade. This is where Spiritomb comes in as it can Pursuit-trap Doublade, thus weakening it to the point where Slurpuff will eventually be able to break through it. Spiritomb also can burn other troublesome checks such as Weezing and Registeel which will (hopefully) weaken them enough so that Slurpuff can take them out with Drain Punch or Frustration, respectively. Also, I realize this looks like a gimmick, but I use Memento on this Spiritomb. It doesn't get the chance all that often, but when it does it really allows Slurpuff to let loose. In addition, it prevents Mega Altaria, specifically Heal Bell variants, from setting up on Spiritomb, while simultaneously turning the tables on it by allowing Slurpuff to withstand its attacks and set up itself.
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration

Spiritomb @ Dread Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Memento

+

Mega Glalie is a monstrous wallbreaker and Choice Scarf Moltres is still one of the best cleaners in the game, so naturally, the two would work very well together. Choice Scarf Moltres is usually checked by Pokemon such as Lanturn, Regirock, Rhyperior, and the like, all the of which Glalie can either destroy or weaken enough for Moltres to take it itself. Basically, the objective is to break down the opposing team with Mega Glalie and then clean up with Moltres. The Choice of Freeze Dry or Explosion depends on your team; however, Explosion does allow Mega Glalie to destroy Slowking after it has taken damage from Moltres's U-turn. Freeze Dry is still pretty awesome though if only because it allows Glalie to destroy Alomomola. As for the natures, you're better off maxing Speed so that Glalie can always outrun positive base 90s and a minus -SpD nature to better take priority if you opt for Freeze Dry > Explosion.
Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive / Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Freeze Dry / Explosion

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

From user EonX:

+

These two are really great together. Throw them on a Spikes offense team (I love the Cobalion + Accelgor core with these two that I posted in this thread in XY) and it is incredibly difficult to deal with them. Dragalge has next to 0 switch-ins and is sure to weaken special walls to allow Mega Pidgeot to sweep. No-miss Hurricanes are amazing and Mega Pidgeot can even use U-turn to give Dragalge some extra chances to demolish opposing defensive cores. It's wise to have a Scarf user, such as Meloetta or Rotom-C, to make sure that shit like Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and other various Scarf users don't lay waste to this core. Remember that Mega Pidgeot has Heat Wave for coverage to nail the Steel-types that actually stand a chance against Dragalge's STAB moves.
Dragalge (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse

Pidgeot-Mega (F) @ Pidgeotite
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

+

Another core that features Mega Pidgeot (can you tell I really like how it plays?) but this time Meloetta is the wallbreaker. While it's true that Mega Pidgeot works well with Spikes offense, it is absolutely golden if you can manage to fit it in on a Spikes team utilizing VoltTurn. Meloetta is not only much faster than Dragalge, but also has a habit of drawing in Steel-types. This is great because Pidgeot can easily Mega Evolve against them should Meloetta catch them with U-turn on the switch, and then either U-turn back out to wear them down further, or just OHKO them with Heat Wave (Pidgeot will need to be Mega Evolved to outspeed Cobalion and Durant) The best part about this core is that Mega Pidgeot fares very well against Spiritomb and Escavalier, the best responses to Specs Meloetta in the tier. Support Cobalion is a great pivot for this core since it has a hard time with Mega Sharpedo (and regular Sharpedo for that matter) as few run Earthquake and Cobalion can take any other move it runs quite easily. The support variant of Cobalion in particular can set Rocks and continue VoltTurn chains mid-game while taking attacks for the core.
Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Shadow Ball

Pidgeot-Mega (F) @ Pidgeotite
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

And here's the Cobalion + Accelgor core I have alluded to throughout this post. It still works as good as ever with all of the high-powered offensive Megas in the tier now.

From user The Lucky Absol:
+

Scooby Doom (Houndoom) (M) @ Life Orb/Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch

Dubs (Doublade) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Doublade is a fantastic partner with Houndoom. While they share a weakness to Ground, they cover their other weaknesses really well. Houndoom hates Fighting type moves which Doublade can switch in on freely (Bar anything from Mega Lopunny.) Doublade benefits with this pairing in a few ways ways. Doublade can't stand Meloetta or Spiritomb, both of which Scooby here can handle without too much of a problem. Thanks to Flash Fire it also has the ability to absorb any fire move aimed at Doublade, especially Will-o-Wisp. It hits pretty damn hard when using a Life Orb, although the Mega Evolution certainly works too. Teammates that could work well with this pair include Gligar, AV Slowking, Virizion, and Aromatisse.

From user Froggyboy:

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Here's an basic core, that takes advantage of Sceptile's typing and ability, paired up with Alomomola's bulkiness. Basically, Sceptile switches into any Electric or Grass type move that would screw up Alomomola. And Alo can switch into Ice moves that would take out Scept.

From user Fineonbae:
Triple(ish) WallBreaker Core
Hitmonlee + Doublade + Meloetta

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt/U-Turn/Hidden Power Fire/Focus Blast/Dazzling Gleam

Doublade @Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw/Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

So this core really is based around the fact that Mel and Lee take out the majority of the things in the tier pretty easy. HJK off of Lee does alot to even bulky things like Mola, doing over half to it. Meloetta takes out physical walls easily like Aromatisse, Amoonguss, and Alomomola that the other two would have trouble with, while Lee takes out the dark types of the tier easy, and destroys special walls (even though mel kills them anyways lol)
Doublade is the cleaner here, taking out things with little HP left, and can take out Cress very easily.

This core has trouble with things like Tomb and kinda Lop. So running things like a special fairy type helps, or Amoonguss works too.

Another from user Spirit:
+

What do both Choice Specs Dragalge and Swords Dance Mega Abomasnow have in common? They're both checked by Steel-types, so naturally when you pair the two together, they can put quite a heavy strain on the opposing team's Steel-type. The objective as stated before, is to use one of them to significantly weaken said Steel-type, then have the other common, finish of that Steel in question, and begin pulverizing the opposing team. This core works especially well with Alomomola, considering they can both be quite the nuisance against stall when given constant Wish support, it also helps that Dragalge absorbs Toxic Spikes! Other than Alomomola, something to clear hazards for both of them (particularly Mega Abomasnow) works well to; Gligar does a fine job at that. It's also good to note that both of them have pretty decent defensive synergy, in that Dragalge can take Fire-type and Poison-type moves for Mega Abomasnow, while Mega Abomasnow can sponge Earthquakes for Dragalge.

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 200 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I recommend you post all the ORAS cores in the previous thread, particularly from post #32 onwards.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, so I kind of screwed this one up.

Basically I gave gorex approval to make this because the other thread hadn't been posted in for 2+ weeks. However, someone else posted in the other thread between when I gave approval and the posting of this thread. I made the mistake of not asking Arikado if he wanted to retain this thread (tbh I forgot it existed when I approved this one). Sorry gorex but since Arikado wants to continue managing the cores thread I don't feel justified in taking ownership away from him, I want to emphasize that this was my fault and that you were not in the wrong here.

Locking this thread for above reason e_e.

edit: misinterpreted Arikado's post, stay tuned

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm on mobile, so I can't copy paste the core, but i wanted to say that mega scep, sharpedo, and magmortar/moltres/delphox form an amazing FWG core of strong power.

^^^ u couldve just made one post lol

i'l be editing this post with a total of 5 cores, shoutouts to Spirit for helping me with a lot of them <3

This is a really common core on balanced teams, and for good reason. It utilizes Camerupt's ability to plow through most of Mola's common checks, namely Jolteon and Magneton, as it forces out them and other pokemon that can't OHKO camel and sets up SR in the process. Meanwhile, Alomomola can gradually wear down Camel's few switch ins, like Slowking, with Toxic as well as providing a solid defensive backbone to pass Wishes to Camerupt and other partners, and in general is a great mixed wall.

AYYO PAPAI (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

SHABBA (Camerupt) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

will edit this post 2morrow

+

This is a pretty cool Trick Room core that works through the great synergy that Bronzong and Pangoro have together. By virtue of it's Steel-typing, Bronzong is able to come in on the Fairy types that wall Pangoro, namely Aromatisse and Granbull, and smack these two with a super effective Iron Head. In return, Pangoro can dispatch the Ghost and Dark-types that love to switch into / set up on Bronzong, such as Houndoom and Doublade. After these Pokemon are gone, Pangoro can easily sweep after Bronzong has set up Trick Room and Exploded. Overall, this is a simple yet effective core that works wonders in the current metagame.

EDIT: Sorry gorex, I forgot to include the importable.

Bronzong @ Normal Gem
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Explosion

Pangoro @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Parting Shot

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Figured I would dump a core that I've been having a ton of success with on the ladder lately:

+

This type of core has been common in higher tiers, but RU has never had the Pokemon to pull this off... That is, until now. With the buffs that Dragalge and Tyrantrum received, it is finally possible to run a Double Dragon core in RU. Most teams can handle one of the two, but almost no team is prepared to take on both of these monsters in one battle. The power of Specs Dragalge and Band Tyrantrum is generally enough on its own to deal with most Steel-types, but the even better part is that both have a coverage move to hit Steels with if the switch is painfully obvious (if the opponent doesn't have a Fairy-type, it will be) And if the opponent's only Steel-type is offensive (Cobalion, Durant, Escavalier) a simple Draco to the former two or Fire Fang to the latter two will either KO them on the spot or just take a brutal chunk out of their HP to keep them from switching in again. The other scary thing is that there is not a single Steel-type in RU that has reliable recovery. This core is super weak to Ground-type moves, tho Rhyperior is the only common user of them. Even so, I recommend using something like Cresselia, Eelektross, or some other sturdy Ground-type switch-in as Rhyperior can come in on Stone Edge and after a Draco Meteor. Cresselia is extremely notable for paralysis support, which only makes these two monsters that much scarier. Late-game sweepers that appreciate the removal and / or weakening of Steel-types are also good teammates. Stuff like Mega Sceptile (triple Dragon core) Mega Sharpedo, and Jolteon are solid options.

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Tyrantrum (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang

the other thread for RU cores is locked, so reposting this

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Dragalge + Houndoom create a really great offensive core because Houndoom can check most of Dragalge's switch-ins/offensive-checks such as Delphox, Meloetta, Doublade, Bronzong, and Escavalier. What makes Houndoom even better with Dragalge is that Houndoom can pursuit trap most of Dragalge's checks/counters. Not only is this core great offensively, but Dragalge's natural bulk gives it good opportunities to switch into to water and fighting type attacks aimed at Houndoom, while Houndoom can switch into psychic type attacks. This core shares a ground weakness, so use something like Bronzong as a glue which is immune to ground attacks and can check Slurpuff if Dragalge is locked into a dragon move.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
+

Substitute Mega Sharpedo and Offensive Toxic Spikes Dragalge. Been using this core lately and simply put it's fucking amazing. Dragalge can find a few opportunities to set up toxic spikes, namely against Pokemon like Aromatisse, Alomomola and the likes all the while wallbreaking thanks to its ridiculously powerful STABs, and Sharpedo with the toxic spikes support can sweep/clean up and also break walls if need be. I used it with a Stealth Rock setter (which is mandatory for any team really) and a choice scarf user for safe measures against offensive teams if Sharpedo fails to grab a Substitute and/or a speed boost or two. You could pair them with something like Pangoro if you feel like you still need more firepower, but I feel like that's enough especially considering that I use the core on a bulky offensive/balance team.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Substitute
- Poison Fang

Dragalge @ Life Orb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Dragalge can use Hydro Pump over HP Fire if you really wanna OHKO Rhyperior but Draco Meteor does a hell lot already. The speed is to outspeed base 50s.

edit: also its worth mentioning i used a wishpasser to help with dragalge's HP a bit and allow it to check stuff like mola consistently throughout the match

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
+

Double post :[ but this is a core that I've been using in the same team that I used the above core (sharpedo + dragalge) in. It's pretty basic, Alomomola and offensive toxic spikes dragalge. They cover each other's weaknesses pretty well, and Alomomola can pass wishes to patch Dragalge right up to continue setting up t.spikes or start nuking again. Mega Sceptile could potentially be troublesome though, so watch out for that.

Dragalge @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hydro Pump
- Toxic Spikes

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

You could opt for a more physically defensive Alomomola also.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Like ari said tspikes dragalge works really well with subs stuff since it's probably the best setter we have right now.I like subcm meloetta mainly because people see it in team preview and expect it to be specs which gives you a nice advantage throughout the match and it can actually hit dark types while seting up, evs are for seting up on gligar while outspeeding pangoro and modest for more attacking power.
Yeah, not much to say here, i guess. I have to mention dugtrio though, since it works extremely well with this little core.

+

Freeze dry mega glalie with belly drum slurpuff makes quite the core especially with quagsire joining ru. Not only is mega glalie a solid wallbreaker that can break through most of slurpuff's checks it can also use refrigerate explosion to nuke many pokemon and bring them in ko range of belly drum boosted attacks. Refrigerate explosion is also helpful for slurpuff as it allows it to get in for free after glalie explodes. Another thing glalie has is super fang which brings an opponent down to half of their hp and is useful for wearing escavalier bronzong registeel and doublade down.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain punch

Glalie @ Glalite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 spa / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Super Fang
- Return
- freeze dry
- Explosion

OUTDATED

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
+

Freeze dry mega glalie with belly drum slurpuff makes quite the core especially with quagsire joining ru. Not only is mega glalie a solid wallbreaker that can break through most of slurpuff's checks it can also use refrigerate explosion to nuke many pokemon and bring them in ko range of belly drum boosted attacks. Refrigerate explosion is also helpful for slurpuff as it allows it to get in for free after glalie explodes.

/hide
I'd use Super Fang just for Doublade. Looks pretty cool! they both literally share the same counters.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
+

Mega Pidgeot and Lanturn are a very solid core offensive core. Lanturn provides a lot of utility on offensive teams, by pivoting around and being a good momentumgainer. And almost always the first switch in for Lanturn are grass pokemon like Amoonguss and Tangrowth, which all make give freeturns for Pidgeot, to use Hurricane, or to keeping on the momentumgaining by using Uturn. And most of the switch ins for Pidgeot are electric types, which cannot do shit to Lanturn, so yea, basically you have to do little switching and if you manage to keep hazards advantage you basically have a pretty easy game. This core is not one of those cores that dismantle the entire metagame, but it rather is a core that is easy to fit on teams and always provides utility. You can use it on various teams, from balanced to all out offense. This literally works with every bird in the metagame, be it pidgy, moltres or even Fletchinder. I like it.

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Pidgeot (M) @ Pidgeotite
Trait: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Edit: I don't know, I swear it's not supposed to be that way. Already changed. lol

Last edited:
Mega Pidgeot and Lanturn are a very solid core offensive core. Lanturn provides a lot of utility on offensive teams, by pivoting around and being a good momentumgainer. And almost always the first switch in for Lanturn are grass pokemon like Amoonguss and Tangrowth, which all make give freeturns for Pidgeot, to use Hurricane, or to keeping on the momentumgaining by using Uturn. And most of the switch ins for Pidgeot are electric types, which cannot do shit to Lanturn, so yea, basically you have to do little switching and if you manage to keep hazards advantage you basically have a pretty easy game. This core is not one of those cores that dismantle the entire metagame, but it rather is a core that is easy to fit on teams and always provides utility. You can use it on various teams, from balanced to all out offense. This literally works with every bird in the metagame, be it pidgy, moltres or even Fletchinder. I like it.
Mael why is mega pigeot jolly 252 attack?

Ok so there we go, this is a core i somehow innoved after having played lord Quagsire for quite a few games on ladder, and it actually seems to work pretty well, as the core includes Eviolite Defensive Golbat. So yeah, Golbat turned out to be a very effective partener with the new RU cancerous fish, as we can easily notice that they both covers each other amazingly well, Golbat being a solid switchin to almost every Grass-type mon in the tier, thanks to its typing which gives a x4 strength to it. It's also a very nice Toxic sponger and spreader, which is one of Quagsire's worst nightmares imo, as well as being able to remove Toxic Spikes thanks to Defog. The former is just basically a *disgusting* wall to every Steel or Rock-type Pokemon in the tier - known for being dangerous set up baits for Golbat - due to Quagsire's typing, its Unaware ability which will ignores every opponent's stat-changes, and a pretty solid physical bulk, that all make it basically impossible to be taken down by them. It also provides a Volt Switch immunity which is really annoying for every core which inculdes Golbat. Although, the two dudes have access to reliable recovery moves, Recover and Roost respectively, which means that they don't inevitably need a Wisher to do their respective work well.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD OR 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic / Infestation

+

Golbat @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

This combo is more fittable on Balanced teams, nothing really to say here, as their role are both mainly just walling/checking, or annoying stuff with residual damages, healing themselves back and then switching out when there is a threat. They are just standard defensive pivots. Sire's custom spread is actually optinal but it allows it to avoid the 2HKO from LO Doomer's Dark Pulse, the Nasty Plot set being a huge threat for defensive teams. It also avoids the OHKO from non-choiced Modest Magneton's HP Grass. Druddigon is a very notable teammate for this core as it's good at checking threatning stuff, namely Delphox and Eelektross who both carry Grass moves in addition to their STAB.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Recover

+

Golbat @ Eviolite
EVs: 224 HP / 200 Def / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

So this one is actually more fittable on Stall teams, as it uses Quagsire's ability to be a great win condition with its dangerous Curse set, using again Golbat as a Toxic sponger and a Grass-type switchin. Golbat's spread allows it to outspeed Jolly max speed Pangoro, while being able to take +2 Outrage and +2 Stone Edge from Mega-Sceptile and Virizion after SR damages, respectively, while also keeping a Stealth Rock number. This core actually better be played on stall because it needs way sturdiest answers to special wallbreakers, such as Clawitzer, Exploud and Dragalge, which all don't give a damn about Lord Quag's Specially Defensive spread, the latter having high chances to OHKO it with a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor. It also really enjoys Toxic Spikes spongers and spreaders, thinking about Utility Drapion here, which that said is a pretty nice Knock Off fodder mainly from Panda's and is still a great tool for stall teams on the current metagame tbh.

Last edited:
Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic
Very simple and i guess somewhat popular core. Swords Dance Mega-Abomasnow has always been a very big threat since the set was discovered in mid-late XY and Alomomola is pretty much one of the best partners to it synergy wise as Abomasnow gets quite a bit of setup opportunities against opposing Grass- and Electric-types that trouble Alomomola. Good partners to this set are able to remove Stealth Rock to get more opportunities for Abomasnow to come in, stuff able to deal with Amoonguss which can be annoying (such as a strong Steel-type), and Pokemon able to deal with Emboar effectively (lol). You can also be innovative as hell and use Healing Wish on Alomomola to fully bring back Abomasnow to life.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
+

Emboar @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sucker Punch
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry / Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam / Energy Ball

Are you tired of your Emboar practically committing suicide between Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil? Have no fear, Healing Wish is here! In all seriousness, these two Pokemon form a great core in that Emboar puts massive pressure on the Dark, Steel, and Bug types that threaten Mesprit. In return, Mesprit provides invaluable support in those sneaky Rocks and Healing Wish to give Emboar another shot at wreaking havoc on the opposition. Mesprit also provides a soft check to Ground types with Levitate, which is pretty helpful at times. The sets are fairly standard, Emboar using its dual stabs, Wild Charge, and Sucker Punch for faster Pokemon. Life Orb is preferred to be able to switch up moves, but CB is great as well. You may ask "Why Choice Band with Sucker Punch? That sounds like a terrible idea being locked into that move", but lets be real here - you'll be spamming Flare Blitz with this monster most of the time anyways. Mesprit has rocks and Healing Wish for obvious reasons and Psychic for STAB. replaced Ice Beam, which was for Gligar, is replaced with Dazzling Gleam to hit Dark types like Pangoro for solid damage, but Energy Ball is nice to hit stuff like Rhyperior / Gastrodon / etc. Colbur Berry is helpful to soften up the damage from a Dark-type move, but Life Orb, Lefties, Ebelt or other stuff works too.

Give this core a go n-n

edit: @ below oh yeah, thats a good idea ty

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+

Emboar @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sucker Punch
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Are you tired of your Emboar practically committing suicide between Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil? Have no fear, Healing Wish is here! In all seriousness, these two Pokemon form a great core in that Emboar puts massive pressure on the Dark, Steel, and Bug types that threaten Mesprit. In return, Mesprit provides invaluable support in those sneaky Rocks and Healing Wish to give Emboar another shot at wreaking havoc on the opposition. Mesprit also provides a soft check to Ground types with Levitate. The sets are fairly standard, Emboar using its dual stabs, Wild Charge, and Sucker Punch for faster Pokemon. Life Orb is preferred to be able to switch up moves, but CB is great as well. You may ask "Why Choice Band with Sucker Punch? That sounds like a terrible idea being locked into that move", but lets be real here - you'll be spamming Flare Blitz with this monster most of the time anyways. Mesprit has rocks and Healing Wish for obvious reasons, Psychic for STAB, and I replaced Ice Beam (which was for Gligar rip) with Energy ball to hit stuff like Rhyperior / Gastrodon / etc. Colbur Berry is helpful to soften up the damage from a Dark-type move, but Life Orb, Lefties, Ebelt or other stuff works too.

Give this core a go n-n

Looks pretty cool :o, I'd probably go with Dazzling Gleam over Energy Ball though, as it allows you to deal with Pangoro, still hit Shiftry attempting to defog, and hit Skuntank about as hard as Ice Beam did. Energy Ball is a pretty cool lure for some mons if you do need it though.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Destiny Bond / Toxic Spikes / Explosion

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

This is an excellent hazard setting core for offensive teams that I've begun to use. Qwilfish makes for a surprisingly underrated and excellent suicide lead, using its great Speed to taunt opposing leads such as Omastar, Intimidate-boosted bulk, and useful movepool to get up at least one layer of Spikes, usually also getting off a Taunt or Destiny Bond. It can also choose to use Toxic Spikes, as Mesprit beats most Poison-types; however, that makes this core really vulnerable to Drapion. Mesprit sets up Stealth Rock, has pretty nice power, and can use Healing Wish to provide more support for offensive teams. This core appreciates wallbreakers such as Mega Glalie and Emboar, as they can dish out serious damage and be restored to full health with Healing Wish; see boltsandbombers' core above for a nice example of this!

Last edited:
gorex I really think this needs some updating, but I'll go ahead and post something.

+

Pretty straight forward, Mesprit kills fighting-types, can switch into Knock Off with Colbur Berry, and KO with Psychic or KO Pangoro with Dazzling Gleam. Pangoro does not need fighting-type stab with Mesprit killing the fighting-types. Those same fighting-types also Mach Punch the Salac boost which is why Colbur Mesprit is a good partner... Thunder Wave deserves a mention over Ice Beam to get stuff like Houndoom, Mesprit, Choice Scarf Typlohison whatever and it also makes Subbing easier for Pangoro. Hidden Power [Fire] can be used if you're scared of Escavalier and Durant. Jolly Nature on Pangoro to out speed Durant at +1 is necessary.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

Pangoro @ Salac Berry
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
+
+

Do you want pangoro to be much faster? Are you that one guy who wants to crush everyone's dreams? Also do you want to be an obnoxious prick everyone hates? Well this is the core for you! A combuskpass core built with pangoro in it. If you played NU before combusken got the boot you knew what this did.Combusken is mandatory as the core wouldn't work without it. The next member is calm mind xatu who deflects taunts and it also helps deflect status moves the other 2 despise. Pangoro is the next recipient who loves combusken's ablity to baton pass and after you baton pass the boosts to this it's pretty much GG. Also another good thing about combuskpass cores is not many teams are prepared for this strategy.

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 hp / 252 def / 8 spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

EDIT: Panda got banned(RIP) maybe adding tyrantrum or gatr could work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)