November 7* Raid Event: Fire-type Typhlosion-H

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Ran this no issues with a Rain Dance Gastrodon. Helped we had a Dachs, a Fake Tears Vaporeon and the MVP Origin Forme Palkia using Hydro Pump... That in rain did some serious chunks with Typh at -2/-4.

My Gastrodon was one of the Cherish Ball event ones just swapped it's moveset around a bit - threw on Mudslap and Rain Dance for support and clicked Earth Power when I had an opportunity.

This one was much easier than previous events and is honestly probably the easiest one they've done so far.

In general the only real way you could die on Typhlosion (assuming you weren't straight up bringing mons weak to it) was if you got very bad luck during the "i act twice per turn" phase.

I am honestly not a fan of this mechanic tbh, taking 2 hits per turn just opens you to more crit RNG, I hate running covert cloak, and also makes using less "i go to +million spdef then win" mons much more troublesome as they just die past 50% hp.

I rather them try other gimmicks than the double turn tbh.

My Great Capture Screenshot 2023-11-08 14-51-23.png

:phione:
Phione @ Shell Bell
Ability: Hydration
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Take Heart
- Rain Dance
- Rest

This raid is so easy, even Phione can barely do it. Take Heart is just that busted of a setup move that removes status while boosting your SpA and SpDef. I was originally running 124 Speed to be faster than the boss, but you'd really prefer more bulk and SpA while relying on your AI partners to lower Speed for you. Haxorus, for example, has Scary Face, but you can also pair this with Mud Shot Bellibolt. I also happened to run alongside Moonblast Sylveon which lowered Typhlosion's SpA. The bulk ensures Focus Blast is a 5HKO while you're at +1 (during your stat reset turn in the event you don't have a Sylveon as your partner). You'd ideally want to be at +3 SpA with Rain up to do good damage ASAP. I was originally using Weather Ball, but you spend a lot of time setting up, and I'd rather attack whenever possible instead of spending ANOTHER TURN setting Rain up.

You're not running Phione because it's good. You're running Phione because this will likely be the one time it will ever be able to solo a 7* raid.

You know, now I can't help but imagine a parallel dimension where Phione evolves into Manaphy, but Cosmog and Cosmoem don't become the gen 7 legends. Not even Cosmog's adorable design would be enough to save him from universal scorn.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DougJustDoug Been loving the Goodra set dude, thanks! I've mostly been doing solo, so went with Rest > Life Dew, and found myself using it surprisingly often in the 2nd half. Definitely don't ever find myself wanting to click that slot in online (or rather, never find myself running out of cheers that could be Heal Cheers)

And using up Water Shards-- I mean whatever, I find myself selling Water Shards at times because of all the previous Water Tera Events we've had.

And grabbing soooooo many Fire Shards and vitamins. Niiiiiiiice

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DougJustDoug Been loving the Goodra set dude, thanks! I've mostly been doing solo, so went with Rest > Life Dew, and found myself using it surprisingly often in the 2nd half. Definitely don't ever find myself wanting to click that slot in online (or rather, never find myself running out of cheers that could be Heal Cheers)
Yeah, I have tweaked my Goodra set as well since I first posted it. Like you, I’m going with Rest over Life Dew now, because for personal use it’s much better, and I can always cheer to help teammates if I need to in team play. Also, I have replaced Surf with Weather Ball to get a tad more power, and I didn’t mind needing to use PP Ups to max it out. They are just small optimizations, but Goodra is just sooo good at what it does, and I like the idea of completely maximizing the whole Rain Hydration Dragon thing :-D

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just came out of a raid and was impressed by a guy running something like this:

IMG_8092.png

Snorlax
Thick Fat
Shell Bell
Tera Normal
Careful / Adamant
4HP / 252 ATK / 252 Sp Def
-Belly Drum
-Facade
-Earthquake
-Screech / Mud Slap

Facade to get around ATK drop from burn, Belly Drum for ridiculous power, Shell Bell to heal off Focus Blasts, EQ for if Misty Terrain/Safeguard are up, choice of Debuff, Snorlax to be fat.

This is the Goodra variant I use for online:

Goodra @ Shell Bell
Ability: Hydration
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Weather Ball
- Rain Dance
- Acid Spray
- Tearful Look

Offensive spread with Tearful Look to reduce the boss's damage output.

I was working on a Tera Rock Azumarill and I still had the Hisuian Typhlosion raid up, so I figured I might as well use it as practice seeing as Rollout seemed to be a straightforward strategy for Samurott, though there was a considerably smaller shield to deal with in that raid. Overall I felt that it still wasn't a major improvement here because there's not much space or time to go for the full setup and ultimately survivability still relies on missed turns.

1699977035002.png
1699977040867.png

1699977295601.png

I ended up dropping Belly Drum, which helps to not require large heal cheers to maximize HP for it. Instead the main buff is Defense Curl, which doubles the power of Rollout for the rest of the raid and is never cleared. Amnesia is still used to protect against Typhlosion's offenses early on and for the rest of the raid, though Sylveon helped here, and with paralysis and lowered accuracy it might be simpler to just hope for misses in the last part. Mud-Slap remains as the filler move to build tera charge for maximum shield damage, and lowering accuracy massively increases the likelihood of a successful clear since you can't outheal its attacks for a while until the last Rollouts. You still don't really want to get burnt because it wastes time and Rollout 5 will only break the shield and leave you with no time to kill. I noticed that running out of time during Rollout does not give you any leeway time to input unlike selecting a normal move sometimes, and so the run is over the instant the timer goes down, fate lying in the passage of animation time from the moment you press Rollout.

I tried to get a win without Bellibolt's paralysis and also other options like trying to take burn or Rollout earlier, but it didn't come to pass because of the tight timing and other issues as mentioned. During these attempts, I ran into a bug where inputting a cheer at the same time as a boss's scripted action would just send me back to the menu while also taking away the cheer use but not giving me the effect. I usually ran into this accidentally when trying to heal cheer after setting 3 Amnesia and conflicting with Typhlosion's debuff cleanse, but while trying to reproduce it, I found it faster to just do it on the earlier 95% Sunny Day and use the music as a consistent cue for the timing.

1699977437923.png
1699977443908.png

I was working on a Tera Rock Azumarill and I still had the Hisuian Typhlosion raid up, so I figured I might as well use it as practice seeing as Rollout seemed to be a straightforward strategy for Samurott, though there was a considerably smaller shield to deal with in that raid. Overall I felt that it still wasn't a major improvement here because there's not much space or time to go for the full setup and ultimately survivability still relies on missed turns.

View attachment 571172View attachment 571173
View attachment 571174

I ended up dropping Belly Drum, which helps to not require large heal cheers to maximize HP for it. Instead the main buff is Defense Curl, which doubles the power of Rollout for the rest of the raid and is never cleared. Amnesia is still used to protect against Typhlosion's offenses early on and for the rest of the raid, though Sylveon helped here, and with paralysis and lowered accuracy it might be simpler to just hope for misses in the last part. Mud-Slap remains as the filler move to build tera charge for maximum shield damage, and lowering accuracy massively increases the likelihood of a successful clear since you can't outheal its attacks for a while until the last Rollouts. You still don't really want to get burnt because it wastes time and Rollout 5 will only break the shield and leave you with no time to kill. I noticed that running out of time during Rollout does not give you any leeway time to input unlike selecting a normal move sometimes, and so the run is over the instant the timer goes down, fate lying in the passage of animation time from the moment you press Rollout.

I tried to get a win without Bellibolt's paralysis and also other options like trying to take burn or Rollout earlier, but it didn't come to pass because of the tight timing and other issues as mentioned. During these attempts, I ran into a bug where inputting a cheer at the same time as a boss's scripted action would just send me back to the menu while also taking away the cheer use but not giving me the effect. I usually ran into this accidentally when trying to heal cheer after setting 3 Amnesia and conflicting with Typhlosion's debuff cleanse, but while trying to reproduce it, I found it faster to just do it on the earlier 95% Sunny Day and use the music as a consistent cue for the timing.

View attachment 571175View attachment 571176
Tera Rock? Against what is almost certain to be a Tera Water Water type? That seems like a bad idea.

Why were you working on a strat for a raid that ended over a month ago?
Maybe reread their post again

They are working on Tera Rock Azumarill strategies
They still had the Typhlosion raids loaded in, which as a Fire Type made for good simple practice with piloting it.
This is similar to the Bug Type Samurott, which was also handily won with Rollout.
After which they commented on how the set up worked against Typhlosion in particular

Why were you working on a strat for a raid that ended over a month ago?
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Tera Rock Azumarill Rollout vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion-Hisui: 9342-10992 (108.5 - 127.6% of 30x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO

I was just citing an example of Rollout being successful in a past raid as the reason I was trying it out on this battle. In general Rollout has the potential to do a lot of damage if you can fit in the full setup, and I was considering it as a future option for events like this one and the upcoming Eevee raid. It didn't go as expected but it's a learning process.

Also while looking for other ideas, I wanted to shout out this Azumarill clear by DaniSoloRaids which forgoes Mud-Slap and goes all in on Rain Dance and Belly Drum. Their channel covers a lot of interesting variety for the raids and even made Koraidon and Miraidon work here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)