Metalheads United ;D

Anyone here like The Ocean? Their new album Anthropocentric can be streamed here.

They're probably my favorite band second to Isis. But from the looks of it you guys listen to "heavier" music :c

Well, I like Isis, and I think I have an album from The Ocean that I've never listened to but I'll have to look through my computer.

Recently got into Agalloch via Ashes Against the Grain, and I dled their new album that leaked, Pale Folklore, and... The Mantle, I think? I don't remember.

But I'll probably give them listens tonight.

Well, the thing about The Ocean is that I found Aeolian a bit too heavy for my liking...but post-Aeolian is awesome (Precambrian, Heliocentric). Especially Heliocentric, it's a very beautiful album, and their new vocalist Loic Rossetti is probably the best voice I've heard in metal.

Not enough metal bands incorporate classical elements into their work. The Ocean may seem really fucking pretentious, but they make good music.

Well, the thing about The Ocean is that I found Aeolian a bit too heavy for my liking...but post-Aeolian is awesome (Precambrian, Heliocentric). Especially Heliocentric, it's a very beautiful album, and their new vocalist Loic Rossetti is probably the best voice I've heard in metal.

Not enough metal bands incorporate classical elements into their work. The Ocean may seem really fucking pretentious, but they make good music.
check out fluXion, it's almost as good as Precambrian.

Aeolian just plain sucked.

Heliocentric grew on me a LOT, and i have Anthropocentric in queue for later today.

Rossetti is far from the best vocalist in metal. he's extremely pitchy, and that was one of the main turn-offs the first few listens through Heliocentric.

Rossetti is far from the best vocalist in metal. he's extremely pitchy, and that was one of the main turn-offs the first few listens through Heliocentric.
I like pitchiness, and falloff. I don't know, for me that's the beauty. There's something about whoever recording the album knowing that the flaws are there and yet doing little to nothing about it. Rossetti's vocals are soft, cute, even.

Heliocentric is a great album and I'm glad you agree. Fans of The Ocean are always like "fuk dat album not HOOVY ENOOF y rnt my EERZ BLEEDAN!!!!" But yeah, I forgot Fluxion. Gonna go grab that now.

In any case, you ought to point me in the direction to good vocalists in metal, because for me, if all a singer does is scream and growl then his band isn't always worth it. Don't get me wrong, I like plenty of bands with growlers, but when they sing for real they're much more likely to head into my "favorite bands" category.

I like pitchiness, and falloff. I don't know, for me that's the beauty. There's something about whoever recording the album knowing that the flaws are there and yet doing little to nothing about it. Rossetti's vocals are soft, cute, even.

Heliocentric is a great album and I'm glad you agree. Fans of The Ocean are always like "fuk dat album not HOOVY ENOOF y rnt my EERZ BLEEDAN!!!!" But yeah, I forgot Fluxion. Gonna go grab that now.

In any case, you ought to point me in the direction to good vocalists in metal, because for me, if all a singer does is scream and growl then his band isn't always worth it. Don't get me wrong, I like plenty of bands with growlers, but when they sing for real they're much more likely to head into my "favorite bands" category.
to each his own...there's no accounting for taste. ;)

check out Leprous: Tall Poppy Syndrome for a great progressive death metal band with a singer that can hit all the important notes...both high and low.

if you haven't heard Opeth...well Mikael Akerfeldt is arguably the best vocalist in metal. fantastic growls and an amazing singing voice. Blackwater Park is a good starting point, but my favorite of theirs is Still Life.

Swallow the Sun is another band with the fortune of having a superior vocalist, with mastery of the clean and the harsh. get Hope.

and i can't recommend bands with great vocalists without giving space to my favorite band ever, Virgin Black. Rowan London is MY favorite vocalist period. get their first album, Sombre Romantic, and listen to it start to finish. then get their other three albums, and listen to those start to finish (in order of their release). in my humble (and admittedly biased) opinion, they're in their own league. just...breathtaking...

to each his own...there's no accounting for taste. ;)

check out Leprous: Tall Poppy Syndrome for a great progressive death metal band with a singer that can hit all the important notes...both high and low.

if you haven't heard Opeth...well Mikael Akerfeldt is arguably the best vocalist in metal. fantastic growls and an amazing singing voice. Blackwater Park is a good starting point, but my favorite of theirs is Still Life.

Swallow the Sun is another band with the fortune of having a superior vocalist, with mastery of the clean and the harsh. get Hope.

and i can't recommend bands with great vocalists without giving space to my favorite band ever, Virgin Black. Rowan London is MY favorite vocalist period. get their first album, Sombre Romantic, and listen to it start to finish. then get their other three albums, and listen to those start to finish (in order of their release). in my humble (and admittedly biased) opinion, they're in their own league. just...breathtaking...
I will get to that tomorrow. I listened to Fluxion, and it was at the very least, better than Aeolian. Pretty much all I have to say about it. At least the band is going in a good direction now.

But yeah, I haven't heard any of those bands, not even Opeth. So I'm gonna get to that when I feel like listening to something new.

I always knew Virgin Black was your favorite(going through your last.fm charts) but never really got around to hear them but after this post I think im going to go hear them next. Wooohhoooo for FL :)

A brilliant progressive act that im enjoying from 2010 would have to be solar scream. One of the few bands in metal with clean vocals that I absolutly love. The album bare to the bone...my...god....

The newer In Flames albums are pretty much garbage imo, and I'm not the biggest fan of their earlier stuff. At The Gates is much better for Gothenburg stuff.

I'm going to see Overkill, Forbidden, Gamma Bomb, Evile, and Bonded by Blood today in a few short hours. I don't care for Gamma Bomb, Evile, or Bonded by Blood, but I'm psyched for Overkill and Forbidden. Russ still has his voice, as does Blitz! :D

Well I didn't get to see Overkill or Forbidden due to "problems". :/ Anyway, why isn't anybody talking about Electric Wizard's latest album of this year called Black Masses? >:(

A brilliant progressive act that im enjoying from 2010 would have to be solar scream. One of the few bands in metal with clean vocals that I absolutly love. The album bare to the bone...my...god....
Ooh this is relevant to my interests. Thanks for that, must download.

And speaking of must download, I'm yet to get Black Masses myself but I can wait.

sure and if you like that then also cheak out throes of dawn, they came out with a new album this year called the great fleet echoes. More awsome dark metal. also tagged death/doom which I dont think they really are but yeah.

As for black masses. Great album but doesn't come close to come my fanatics... imo which was my favorite album by them

Judas Priest announce their farwell tour

I have only recently got into heavy metal about two years ago in the summer of 2009. I've heard of bands like Metallica and Black Sabbath before that time, but I never really paid much attention to any albums. Metallica was my gateway band into the world of heavy metal. I loved Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning, the latter being Metallica's best studio album in my opinion. As I wasted more and more time, I got into bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, and any other gateway band. I've expanded a lot on the various sub-genres of heavy metal. . . well at least I believe so. There are many more bands out there from the past and present that I have yet to discover, there are many albums I have fallen in love with.

I woke up on the morning of Tuesday, December 07, 2010 and I logged into my Facebook account. There in the news feed I read the following words, "Judas Priest announce Epitaph Farewell Tour". I was getting ready for school and I could not stop thinking about Judas Priest hanging it up. I was deeply sadden by this news, Judas Priest have been around since 1969. The band were around twenty-three years before I was even born. I didn't even discover my love for heavy metal until I was seventeen years-old in 2009. I listened to a full Judas Priest album forty years after the band first came together in 1969.

The very first Judas Priest studio album I ever heard was Painkiller. I just remember what was going on in my mind, I remember thinking how amazing this band was. Songs such as "Leather Rebel", "A Touch of Evil", and "Painkiller" are just classic; Glenn Tipton performs my favorite guitar solo on "Painkiller". From Painkiller I went on to listen to Screaming for Vengeance. I remember the first time I heard "The Hellion/Electric Eye", I thought it was the best Judas Priest song ever. As time passed on, I have listened to the band's discography heavily. There were some albums that I thought were amazing, there were others that I thought were not all that good. Judas Priest have many stand out songs, there are too many to pick as a favorite to be singled out. If I had to pick favorites, it would be a tie between "Victim of Changes", "The Sentinel", and "Run of the Mill." I can not imagine any true heavy metal fan not liking Judas Priest. As a proud fan of heavy metal, I am torn that Judas Priest are calling it quits very soon. The band has had an amazing forty-one year career and have earned their place as my all-time favorite traditional heavy metal band. Rob, Glenn, K.K., Ian, and the countless list of drummers will forever be remembered in the history of heavy metal. I hope Judas Priest stop by Atlanta on their tour, I hope to see them soon.

16. Judas Priest - Demolition (2001)
0.5/5

15. Judas Priest - Jugulator (1997)
1/5

14. Judas Priest - Nostradamus (2008)
1/5

13. Judas Priest - Turbo (1986)
2/5

12. Judas Priest - Point of Entry (1981)
2/5

11. Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution (2005)
2/5

10. Judas Priest - Ram It Down (1988)
2.5/5

09. Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla (1974)
3/5

08. Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather (1979)
3.5/5

07. Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith (1984)
3.5/5

06. Judas Priest - British Steel (1980)
4/5

05. Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)
4/5

04. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance (1982)
4/5

03. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin (1977)
4.5/5

02. Judas Priest - Stained Class (1978)
4.5/5

01. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
5/5

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Heard about that, sad but probably for the better.

I've been really into sludge metal recently, Buzzov*en being my favorite right now.

I have only recently become interested in metal. I like bands with an emphasis on the guitar and a Baroque influence, but I don't like growly vocals or screaming. Which bands would I like?

All I read was the OP because I'd rather not go through 36 pages butttttttttttt
does metalcore count? and if it does, does anyone here listen to august burns red? i love them and their drummer is amazing :D

In response to the huge judas priest post, my top 3 judas priest albums are

1. Stained Class
2. Painkiller
3. Sad Wings of Destiny

Sad to see them hanging it up, but they have had a great career, basically inventing all up-tempo metal styles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)