Project Metagame Workshop

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
I have no idea what to call this but here goes

Premise: Every pokemon has their lowest base stat doubled

Ex:
:sv/zapdos:
90/90/85/125/90/100 ->90/90/170/125/90/100

If multiple stats tie for lowest, only the first one is doubled.

Ex:
:sv/glalie:
80/80/80/80/80/80 -> 160/80/80/80/80/80

Increased Viability

There's a whole myriad of pokemon that get a massive boost to their defenses, so I'm just gonna list off as many as I can think of and briefly go over their positive qualities:

:sv/zapdos:
90/90/170/125/90/100
Zapdos gets a monstrous defense stat, static, and longevity in roost.

:sv/salamence:
95/135/160/110/80/100
High defense, intimidate, good coverage and not too shabby offensive stats.

:sv/Landorus-Therian:
89/145/90/105/160/91
High spdef and intimidate give it good mixed bulk, and it has a good utility movepool with rocks, taunt, and uturn, as well as a useful defensive typing.

:sv/iron-treads:
90/112/120/72/140/106
High spdef, good defensive typing and good movepool make it look like a good av option.

:sv/rotom-wash:
100/65/107/105/107/86
Good movepool, good mixed bulk, good typing.

:sv/uxie:
150/75/130/75/130/95
Great mixed bulk, with an admittedly poor defensive typing, but a good utility movepool.

There's also a lot of mons that get a considerable offensive boost.

:sv/walking-wake:
99/166/91/125/83/109
Really high attack with protosynthesis and a great typing.

:sv/heatran:
91/90/106/130/106/154
Really fast with solid spa and good coverage, as well as trapping potential with magma storm.

:sv/dragonite:
91/134/95/100/100/160
Another blisteringly fast mon with good coverage, and it has access to Dragon Dance

:sv/garchomp:
108/130/95/160/85/102
Excellent special attack with amazing coverage and good bulk to boot.

:sv/iron-jugulis:
94/160/86/122/80/108
Not the fastest thing ever but it has great attack and access to stab knock off.

Decreased Viability

Many walls get speed boosts that leave them still pretty slow while not boosting their walling ability any. Just a few of these include Garganacl :Garganacl:, Toxapex :toxapex:, Dondozo :Dondozo:, Amoonguss :amoonguss:, both Slowkings :slowking: :slowking-galar:, and Slowbro :slowbro:.

Several mons get boosts to an offensive stat that still leaves said stat too low to be usable. Some of these include Sneasler :sneasler:, Ursaluna :ursaluna:, and Scizor :scizor:

Rules

Clauses: Standard OU Clauses
Arceus
Azumarill
Calyrex-Ice
Calyrex-Shadow
Dialga
Dialga-Origin
Eternatus
Giratina
Giratina-Origin
Glalie
Groudon
Koraidon
Kyogre
Landorus-I
Magearna
Medicham
Mewtwo
Miraidon
Palkia
Palkia-Origin
Zacian
Zacian-Crowned
Zamazenta
Zamazenta-Crowned

Chi-Yu
Espathra
Flutter Mane
Palafin
Palafin-Hero

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, I'd love to hear what you guys think of this. (Also I'm open to name suggestions)

Edit: I've decided that in the case of a tie, only the first lowest stat will receive a boost, because a lot of things get out of hand if they get multiple stats doubled.
Apparently this is an (Almost) Everything Else rejected idea.
  • Huge Stat: All Pokemon gets a clone of Huge Power that doubles their lowest stat.
Which is kinda weird because I don't see anything wrong with the concept. This idea has been on the back of my mind for a while. I was thinking a Protosynthesis boost to the lowest stat instead, and instead of the base stat it would increase the actual stat so you can change what gets boosted with natures and EVs (although that might introduce too much unpredictability).

Wes8888

Goon of the OM variety
is a Pre-Contributor
Apparently this is an (Almost) Everything Else rejected idea.
  • Huge Stat: All Pokemon gets a clone of Huge Power that doubles their lowest stat.
Which is kinda weird because I don't see anything wrong with the concept. This idea has been on the back of my mind for a while. I was thinking a Protosynthesis boost to the lowest stat instead, and instead of the base stat it would increase the actual stat so you can change what gets boosted with natures and EVs (although that might introduce too much unpredictability).
Well to be fair, it isn't a huge power clone, since huge power doubles the raw stat, not the base stat. But the protosynthesis idea sounds like a good one, maybe you could take out the unpredictability by having the little thing under the mon's name that says "Protosynthesis: [stat]" so the other player would get a heads up.

I changed my previous OM suggestion a little bit (see on page 23), here is another one (I didn't find any previous metagame matching this one so I hope it's okay) :

Variety Versus Power

Metagame Premise : Single battle 6v6. Each Pokémon get a bonus multiplier to their offensive moves, depending on how many moveslots are empty.

It goes as followed :
  • 0 empty moveslots => no bonus, the base power stay the same
  • 1 empty moveslot => base power ×1.1
  • 2 empty moveslots => bp ×1.2
  • 3 empty moveslots => bp ×1.4
Ex :
1690195999925.png
Gumshoos
bonus multiplierslot 1 (Move + BP)slot 2 (Move + BP)slot 3 (Move + BP)slot 4 (Move + BP)
×1
Body Slam 85BP
Last Resort 140BP
Trailblaze 50BP
Earthquake 100BP
×1.1
Body Slam 85BP + 8
Last Resort 140BP + 14
Trailblaze 50BP + 5
×1.2
Body Slam 85BP + 17
Last Resort 140BP + 28
×1.4
Body Slam 85BP + 34
×?*
*see Q&A below

Clause :

Smogon-wide Clause

Bans :

Pokémon :
Arceus (all forms), Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Dialga (both forms), Dragapult, Ethernatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina (both forms), Groudon, Hoopa-Unbound, Iron Bundle, Koraidon, Kyogre, Landorus, Magearna (both forms), Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palafin (both forms), Palkia (both forms), Pyrax, Rayquaza, Spectrier, Urshifu, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, Zacian (both forms), Zamazenta (both forms).
Abilities : Arena Trap, Contrary, Moody, Sand Veil, Shadow Tag, Supreme Overlord, Snow cloack.
Moves : Assist, Baton Pass, Copycat, Flower Trick, Metronome, Rage Fist, Shed Tail, Last Respects
Items : King's Rock

Watchlist :

Mechanic
: Tera-Crystallization;
Pokémons : Arcanine-Hisui, Espathra, Iron Moth, Iron Valiant, Landorus-Therian, Lokix, Regidrago, Regieleki, Roaring Moon, Samurott-Hisui, Sneasler, Thundurus-Therian, Ursaluna, Volcanion, Walking Wake;
Abilities : Adaptability, Pixilate, Technician, Tinted lens;
Moves : Gigaton Hammer, Population Bomb, Torch Song;
Items : Life orb.

Restricted Bans :

{One moveslot used only + move with BP equal or over 120} + choice items

Strategy :

In this Metagame, the fewer moves a Pokémon possesses, the more powerful it becomes. Consequently, hyper offense teams are more likely to be used than any others.

Q&A :

Q1 : Does the VVP bonus multiplier work even if I put statut moves in the move slots ?
A1 : Yes, it does.

Q2 : How would abilities that increase moves power work with the VVP bonus multiplier ?
A2 : In terms of priorities, abilities prevail over the VVP bonus multiplier, even if some of them have their effects work depending on the opponent's play (Stakeout, Analytic).
To go back over the previous example, a Gumshoos with Adaptability would have its STAB moves ×2 from their original BP, regardless the number of empty moveslots it has.

Q3 : What happens when a Pokémon has no moves in its moveslots/ no more moves usable ?
Note : Well, given the metagame, Struggle could have over 70 BP (50×1.4). However, as it's considered a "hidden" move, the VVP bonus could also stay at ×1.1, ×1.2 or ×1.4 depending of how many moveslots are empty. This question is open for debate.

Last edited:
I changed my previous OM suggestion a little bit (see on page 23), here is another one (I didn't find any previous metagame matching this one so I hope it's okay) :

Variety Versus Power

Metagame Premise : Single battle 6v6. Each Pokémon get a bonus multiplier to their offensive moves, depending on how many moveslots are empty.

It goes as followed :
  • 0 empty moveslots => no bonus, the base power stay the same
  • 1 empty moveslot => base power ×1.25
  • 2 empty moveslots => bp ×1.5
  • 3 empty moveslots => bp ×2
Ex :
View attachment 537495Gumshoos
bonus multiplierslot 1 (Move + BP)slot 2 (Move + BP)slot 3 (Move + BP)slot 4 (Move + BP)
×1
Body Slam 85BP
Last Resort 140BP
Trailblaze 50BP
Earthquake 100BP
×1.25
Body Slam 85BP + 21
Last Resort 140BP + 35
Trailblaze 50BP + 12
×1.5
Body Slam 85BP + 42
Last Resort 140BP + 70
×2
Body Slam 85BP + 85
×?*
*see Q&A below

Clauses :

OU Standard Clauses

Bans :

OU Bans

Possible Bans :

Moves : Population Bomb, Flower Trick, Metronome, Rage Fist;
Abilities : Adaptability, Supreme Overlord, Technician, Tinted lens.

Strategy :

In this Metagame, the fewer moves a Pokémon possesses, the more powerful it becomes. Consequently, hyper offense teams are more likely to be used than any others.

Q&A :

Q1 : Does the VVP bonus multiplier work even if I put statut moves in the move slots ?
A1 : Yes, it does.

Q2 : How would abilities that increase moves power work with the VVP bonus multiplier ?
A2 : In terms of priorities, abilities prevail over the VVP bonus multiplier, even if some of them have their effects work depending on the opponent's play (Stakeout, Analytic).
To go back over the previous example, a Gumshoos with Adaptability would have its STAB moves ×2 from their original BP, regardless the number of moves it has.

Q3 : What happens when a Pokémon has no moves in its moveslots/ no more moves usable ?
Note : Well, given the metagame, Struggle could have over 100 BP. However, as it's considered a "hidden" move, the VVP bonus could also stay at ×1.25, ×1.5 or ×2 depending of how many moveslots are empty. This question is open for debate.
The concept is interesting, but you might want to tone down the numbers a bit. Having only 1 move is a big deal, but so is having it be x2. For example, Specs Dragapult, a Pokemon with just 100 SpA, can 2HKO Blissey with Tera Dragon Draco Meteor.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Dragon Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 618-730 (86.5 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage
Obviously Dragapult may use other moves, and you have Fairy to worry about, but raw damage on something with same SpA as Mew can be way too high. If it can 2HKO Blissey a regular non-super effective Special attack or do the same for Avalugg for Physical attacks, it usually means busted.

The concept is interesting, but you might want to tone down the numbers a bit. Having only 1 move is a big deal, but so is having it be x2. For example, Specs Dragapult, a Pokemon with just 100 SpA, can 2HKO Blissey with Tera Dragon Draco Meteor.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Dragon Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 618-730 (86.5 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage
Obviously Dragapult may use other moves, and you have Fairy to worry about, but raw damage on something with same SpA as Mew can be way too high. If it can 2HKO Blissey a regular non-super effective Special attack or do the same for Avalugg for Physical attacks, it usually means busted.
True, I didn't think about the damage calculations in the process... I didn't take the time to refer all the moves that could overkill because of EV investment, nature. I couldn't decide if keeping Tera-Crystallization allowed was a good thing or not, so I didn't mention it. Which numbers would you suggest for the VVP multiplier ?

EDIT : I've changed the values of the VVP bonus multiplier, plus added the Tera-Crystallization and another rule in bans. Thanks again Cuddly !

Last edited:

Wes8888

Goon of the OM variety
is a Pre-Contributor
Bans :

OU Bans
I think that instead of having the same bans as OU you should come up with your own initial banlist, since this metagame has the potential to be very different from OU. For example, let's say tera gets banned week 1 or smth, then stuff like regieleki would automatically not be broken, so it would be kind of unfair to put it on the initial banlist. I think it'd be safe to ban all of the obviously broken stuff like cover legendaries, chi-yu since it could probably 2HKO the entire tier, and maybe a few others, but leave the rest on a watchlist, and wait to start banning things until the meta develops a little.

I think that instead of having the same bans as OU you should come up with your own initial banlist, since this metagame has the potential to be very different from OU. For example, let's say tera gets banned week 1 or smth, then stuff like regieleki would automatically not be broken, so it would be kind of unfair to put it on the initial banlist. I think it'd be safe to ban all of the obviously broken stuff like cover legendaries, chi-yu since it could probably 2HKO the entire tier, and maybe a few others, but leave the rest on a watchlist, and wait to start banning things until the meta develops a little.
Got it.

EDIT : I changed the metagame once again.

Last edited:
just spitballing here, feel free to take this idea away from me

Cudmons

Metagame premise: Just like the ability Cud Chew activates your berry again at the end of the next turn, every held item will activate again at the end of the next turn! However, unlike Cud Chew, this can transfer over switches.

Ex: End of turn X: :Farigiraf: Farigiraf's leftovers activates and restores HP
Turn X+1: :Haxorus: Haxorus switches in and gets poisoned by tspikes. His lum berry activates, curing him. At the end of the turn, farigiraf's previously used leftovers activate again and restore Haxorus's HP. He does die to sandstorm + salt cure though. We send in our Banded Donphan, who gets poisoned.
Turn X+2: :Donphan: Donphan's rapid spin clears away the tspikes. At the end of the turn, Haxorus's lum berry activates again, saving him from his poisoning.

Potential bans and threats:

:Choice-Band: :Choice-Specs: :Choice-scarf: Choice items's effects disappearing after the first turn means that U-turn abusers can give a Switch-in Atk/SpA/Spe boost to the mon who takes their place

:heavy-duty-boots: Mons who wear boots leave one boot on the floor when switching out so the partner has a safe spot to land in

:lansat-berry: :salac-berry: :liechi-berry: Stat boost berries will give their boosts at the end of the next turn, either to the same pokémon if it stays in or to its replacement

:Life-orb: :expert-belt: Could stack with a Choice item for big damage

:Assault-vest: safer switch-ins against special attackers

Ideally I'd make it so that copies of the same item (for example, two choice bands) don't stack their effects, to incentivize players to diversify their items instead of sticking to ol' reliable. As for the logic of when the item should activate, I guess it should be during the next turn if the opportunity presents itself (for items like Passho-Rindo Berry, Sash, Mental Herb etc.), and at the end of the turn if it didn't get the chance to do so (so salac berry would raise speed at the end of the turn, but if during the turn the mon gets from above 1/4 health to below 1/4 health, then it should do so there instead.). This would mean that the Donphan in my example above would have cured itself from poison at the start of turn X+2 instead of at the end, which would leave it prone to things like flame body, etc. Either way, this can be tweaked to however you want it to fit.

Anyways, just thought of this and won't elaborate on it further. But if someone wants to work on it, there you go.

Cudmons

Metagame premise: Just like the ability Cud Chew activates your berry again at the end of the next turn, every held item will activate again at the end of the next turn! However, unlike Cud Chew, this can transfer over switches.

Turn X+1: :Haxorus: Haxorus switches in and gets poisoned by tspikes. His lum berry activates, curing him. At the end of the turn, farigiraf's previously used leftovers activate again and restore Haxorus's HP. He does die to sandstorm + salt cure though. We send in our Banded Donphan, who gets poisoned.
Turn X+2: :Donphan: Donphan's rapid spin clears away the tspikes. At the end of the turn, Haxorus's lum berry activates again, saving him from his poisoning.

:Choice-Band: :Choice-Specs: :Choice-scarf: Choice items's effects disappearing after the first turn means that U-turn abusers can give a Switch-in Atk/SpA/Spe boost to the mon who takes their place

:heavy-duty-boots: Mons who wear boots leave one boot on the floor when switching out so the partner has a safe spot to land in

:lansat-berry: :salac-berry: :liechi-berry: Stat boost berries will give their boosts at the end of the next turn, either to the same pokémon if it stays in or to its replacement

Ideally I'd make it so that copies of the same item (for example, two choice bands) don't stack their effects, to incentivize players to diversify their items instead of sticking to ol' reliable. As for the logic of when the item should activate, I guess it should be during the next turn if the opportunity presents itself (for items like Passho-Rindo Berry, Sash, Mental Herb etc.), and at the end of the turn if it didn't get the chance to do so (so salac berry would raise speed at the end of the turn, but if during the turn the mon gets from above 1/4 health to below 1/4 health, then it should do so there instead.). This would mean that the Donphan in my example above would have cured itself from poison at the start of turn X+2 instead of at the end, which would leave it prone to things like flame body, etc. Either way, this can be tweaked to however you want it to fit.

Anyways, just thought of this and won't elaborate on it further. But if someone wants to work on it, there you go.
I don’t know why but I like this idea.

Ball Boost
Metagame premise: Doubles-based meta where a Pokémon's "Poké Ball" (nickname matching the Ball since selecting a Ball isn't coded) gives it a passive boost of some kind, usually matching an Ability. Each Ball is limited to one per team. Spreadsheet is here.
Potential bans and threats: Unsure, as the Balls all have top-tier effects so the power level is a bit off the charts. I don't know if this will be a "the best users of these are usually the best Pokémon anyway" situation, which is why I went for Doubles over VGC. Having two Mons should help balance the more ridiculous stuff since most of the stronger effects only apply to the Mon itself.
Questions for the community: Is this eligible as an OM? The changes apply universally, but the effect of each Ball is decided arbitrarily by me.

I’m gonna say it:
I miss Chimera 1v1

On a "completely unrelated" note, if someone were to revive a dead metagame, and become part of the current gen council for it, what would be their responsibilities? Is it very demanding? Does it take a lot of free time? Asking for a friend

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I’m gonna say it:
I miss Chimera 1v1

On a "completely unrelated" note, if someone were to revive a dead metagame, and become part of the current gen council for it, what would be their responsibilities? Is it very demanding? Does it take a lot of free time? Asking for a friend
Depends on the format, but you should try to keep people interested on the tier, keep the resources updated (at least VR and Samples) and try to make the format as balanced and competitive as it can be. The more active you are the better, but as long as you don't disappear for weeks is fine.

Cudmons

While this doesn't sound that bad, I imagine it may be a bit hard to implement and having the items work in a consistent way may be hard, for starters what would it mean to active at the end of the turn for all items? Should damage items boost the next attack or all the following attacks or do nothing?

Ball Boost
Metagame premise: Doubles-based meta where a Pokémon's "Poké Ball" (nickname matching the Ball since selecting a Ball isn't coded) gives it a passive boost of some kind, usually matching an Ability. Each Ball is limited to one per team. Spreadsheet is here.
Potential bans and threats: Unsure, as the Balls all have top-tier effects so the power level is a bit off the charts. I don't know if this will be a "the best users of these are usually the best Pokémon anyway" situation, which is why I went for Doubles over VGC. Having two Mons should help balance the more ridiculous stuff since most of the stronger effects only apply to the Mon itself.
Questions for the community: Is this eligible as an OM? The changes apply universally, but the effect of each Ball is decided arbitrarily by me.
This seems more like a Petmod where people would vote on the effect for each Pokeball. You should take this idea over to Petmods.

While this doesn't sound that bad, I imagine it may be a bit hard to implement and having the items work in a consistent way may be hard, for starters what would it mean to active at the end of the turn for all items? Should damage items boost the next attack or all the following attacks or do nothing?
I think it would probably go this way:

Start of turn: All held items (from this turn or the previous one) that passively grant an effect during the turn (:Choice-Band:, :eviolite:, :expert-belt:, :heavy-duty-boots:, :covert-cloak: etc.)activate.

During the turn: If an item (from this turn or the previous one) meets the conditions for its activation (:adrenaline-orb:, :luminous-moss:, :focus-sash:, :starf-berry:, :mago-berry:, :shuca-berry:), it does so.

End of turn: If an item was used the previous turn, and has not met the conditions for activation during this turn, then it is activated (like regular cud chew, but this also allows :leftovers:/:flame-orb:/:black-sludge:/:sticky-barb:/etc.). After this, this turn's held item is listed as the previous term's item, and a new turn begins.

Knock Off / Fling / Recycle only takes the Pokémon's current item into account. The item will still function on the next turn, but will disappear after it.

Air Balloon will grant immunity to ground moves until it is popped. Then it will give it again at the start of the next turn, but will disappear after it.

Custap Berry will give priority at the start of the next turn.

Gods and Followers (adapted slightly from the Gen 7 OM)

Premise: You can choose one Uber Pokemon (or the first slot if there is none) as your God. The rest of the non-Uber Pokemon must share only either the type(s) of the God OR only the Tera type of the God. If you God faints, a constant Curse effect will be on all Pokemon indefinitely.

Examples:
Take :palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin as your god with :fairy-gem: Tera Fairy.
Your other 5 Pokemon can be a duotype Water + Dragon team, for example, :palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin, :cyclizar:Cyclizar, :gyarados:Gyarados, :pelipper:Pelipper, :quaquaval:Quaquaval, and:walking-wake:Walking Wake.
The 5 Pokemon can also form an almost monotype Fairy team, for example, :palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin, :azumarill:Azumarill, :enamorus:Enamorus, :iron-valiant:Iron Valiant, :mimikyu:Mimikyu, and:scream-tail:Scream Tail.

Questions for y'all:
1. Is this too similar to Godly Gift? That being, a restricted format with one Uber.
2. Should regular type and tera type followers be able to mix and match? For example, would Iron Valiant be allowed to fit instead of Gyarados in the first example.
3. Is the Curse effect too overpowered? Embargo isn't in Gen 9 so introducing past gen mechanics isn't favorable.

Anyone remembers the battle arena from emerald? No? Well I'm about to paste the Bulbapedia relevant info anyway

A match in the Battle Arena pits two Pokémon against one another for three rounds. If both Pokémon last all three rounds, they are rated on how they battled in three aspects, and the Pokémon with the higher score wins, and the losing Pokémon leaves battle. If they somehow tie, both Pokémon leave battle. A knockout results in an automatic win for the Pokémon that is still standing. Trainers are not allowed to switch out their Pokémon, and they must be sent out in the order they were entered.

Pokémon are scored on their mind, skill, and body. This is much like the Fallarbor Town Battle Tent rules. The Pokémon with the better rating in each category scores two points, while a tie will award one point to each Pokémon.

• Mind judges Pokémon on their offensive style. One point is awarded if a move that deals damage is chosen for use (except Counter, Mirror Coat, and Bide, which do not award points, and Fake Out, which deducts one point), and one point is deducted if Protect, Detect or Endure is chosen. All other moves do not award points. Only the move selection matters; even if the Pokémon does not actually use the move (due to an effect such as paralysis), it will still score in this category. The Pokémon with the higher number of points wins the two points in the overall judgment.
  • Skill judges Pokémon on accuracy. One point is awarded if any move is used successfully, while two points are deducted if the move misses, fails, or is prevented from executing due to an effect such as paralysis. If the move was caused to fail by Protect or Detect, or flinching from Fake Out, however, no points are deducted. Hitting a move Super Effectively rewards two points rather than one, but dealing not very effective damage instead deducts one point. The Pokémon with the higher number of points wins the two points in the overall judgment.
  • Body judges the amount of HP remaining at the end of the third round compared to their amount at the start of the first. The Pokémon with the better ratio wins the two points in the overall judgment.
It could be adapted into an OM by bringing it up to date on Gen 9 mechanics and moves. Pokémon Showdown? More like Pokémon Showbiz. If your mon doesn't put glamour on the stage it's getting yanked off stage and kicked out of the building.

Anyone remembers the battle arena from emerald? No? Well I'm about to paste the Bulbapedia relevant info anyway

A match in the Battle Arena pits two Pokémon against one another for three rounds. If both Pokémon last all three rounds, they are rated on how they battled in three aspects, and the Pokémon with the higher score wins, and the losing Pokémon leaves battle. If they somehow tie, both Pokémon leave battle. A knockout results in an automatic win for the Pokémon that is still standing. Trainers are not allowed to switch out their Pokémon, and they must be sent out in the order they were entered.

Pokémon are scored on their mind, skill, and body. This is much like the Fallarbor Town Battle Tent rules. The Pokémon with the better rating in each category scores two points, while a tie will award one point to each Pokémon.

• Mind judges Pokémon on their offensive style. One point is awarded if a move that deals damage is chosen for use (except Counter, Mirror Coat, and Bide, which do not award points, and Fake Out, which deducts one point), and one point is deducted if Protect, Detect or Endure is chosen. All other moves do not award points. Only the move selection matters; even if the Pokémon does not actually use the move (due to an effect such as paralysis), it will still score in this category. The Pokémon with the higher number of points wins the two points in the overall judgment.
  • Skill judges Pokémon on accuracy. One point is awarded if any move is used successfully, while two points are deducted if the move misses, fails, or is prevented from executing due to an effect such as paralysis. If the move was caused to fail by Protect or Detect, or flinching from Fake Out, however, no points are deducted. Hitting a move Super Effectively rewards two points rather than one, but dealing not very effective damage instead deducts one point. The Pokémon with the higher number of points wins the two points in the overall judgment.
  • Body judges the amount of HP remaining at the end of the third round compared to their amount at the start of the first. The Pokémon with the better ratio wins the two points in the overall judgment.
It could be adapted into an OM by bringing it up to date on Gen 9 mechanics and moves. Pokémon Showdown? More like Pokémon Showbiz. If your mon doesn't put glamour on the stage it's getting yanked off stage and kicked out of the building.
I was hesitant to propose your idea because I can't visualize the team in charge of coding the metagame being able to reproduce the rating system as it would work originally in Emerald Version. I remember one thing about the rules (apart from what you mentioned) : You can bring only three pokémon, and they can't have the same item, am I right ?

Gods and Followers (adapted slightly from the Gen 7 OM)

Premise: You can choose one Uber Pokemon (or the first slot if there is none) as your God. The rest of the non-Uber Pokemon must share only either the type(s) of the God OR only the Tera type of the God. If you God faints, a constant Curse effect will be on all Pokemon indefinitely.

Examples:
Take :palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin as your god with :fairy-gem: Tera Fairy.
Your other 5 Pokemon can be a duotype Water + Dragon team, for example, :palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin, :cyclizar:Cyclizar, :gyarados:Gyarados, :pelipper:Pelipper, :quaquaval:Quaquaval, and:walking-wake:Walking Wake.
The 5 Pokemon can also form an almost monotype Fairy team, for example, :palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin, :azumarill:Azumarill, :enamorus:Enamorus, :iron-valiant:Iron Valiant, :mimikyu:Mimikyu, and:scream-tail:Scream Tail.

Questions for y'all:
1. Is this too similar to Godly Gift? That being, a restricted format with one Uber.
2. Should regular type and tera type followers be able to mix and match? For example, would Iron Valiant be allowed to fit instead of Gyarados in the first example.
3. Is the Curse effect too overpowered? Embargo isn't in Gen 9 so introducing past gen mechanics isn't favorable.
I think it's different from Godly Gift.
I wouldn't mind if the pokémons just share at least one type with the God; but sharing a tera type would mean sharing any type, isn't it ? In my opinion, both options should merge so that you can have at least three types that can complete each other.
About the Curse, I didn't ever try the original metagame so I can't tell how impactful it could be...

Tera-Bonding

Metagame Premise: The two Pokémon you terastallized are now ‘Tera-Bonded’

In-Depth Rules: You can terrastalize both Pokémon on the field at once, and those two Pokémon are now Tera-Bonded, meaning they share their moves and abilities, and even if one Pokémon switches, the one on the field is still affected by Tera-Bonding. In know this is getting long but there’s one last thing; the two Tera Bonded Pokémon are treated as terastalized into a dual type.

Potentially Good Sets:
Armarouge @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Expanding Force
- Destiny Bond
- Heat Wave
- Aura Sphere

Indeedee-F @ Focus Sash
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Draining Kiss
- Helping Hand
- Follow Me
This Indeedee /Armorouge pair acts how you’d think it is, but with Indeedee getting weak armor and destiny bond from Armorouge, it becomes a better supporter, in addition to this, Armorouge getting recovery in draining kiss and both of ‘em having follow me, it gets out of hand.
Pokemon:
  • :annihilape: Annihilape
  • :arceus: Arceus
  • :basculegion: Basculegion (male)
  • :calyrex_ice: Calyrex-Ice
  • :calyrex_shadow: Calyrex-Shadow
  • :dialga: Dialga
  • :dialga_origin: Dialga-Origin
  • :Eternatus: Eternatus
  • :giratina: Giratina
  • :giratina_origin: Giratina-Origin
  • :groudon: Groudon
  • :koraidon: Koraidon
  • :kyogre: Kyogre
  • :magearna: Magearna
  • :mewtwo: Mewtwo
  • :miraidon: Miraidon
  • :palkia: Palkia
  • :palkia_origin: Palkia-Origin
  • :rayquaza: Rayquaza
  • :ursaluna: Ursaluna
  • :urshifu: Urshifu-Single-Strike
  • :urshifu_rapid_strike: Urshifu-Rapid-Strike
  • :zacian: Zacian-Hero
  • :zacian_crowned: Zacian-Crowned
  • :zamazenta: Zamazenta-Hero
  • :zamazenta_crowned: Zamazenta-Crowned
Abilities:

• :wynaut: Shadow Tag

Questions For The Community:
1: what should happen if a Pokémon terabonds when it’s your only mon on the field?
2: What should be on the watchlist/ add to bans?
3: How would Tera blast work?
4: Is this too close to a doubles inheritance?

Last edited:
I remember one thing about the rules (apart from what you mentioned) : You can bring only three pokémon, and they can't have the same item, am I right ?
I can’t find anything about needing different items (would need to find and lod up my emerald cartridge to verify), but you do pick 3 pokémon out of a team of 6, yes.

TERAMOVES

Metagame premise
:
This would be an OM similar to STABmons, the concept is that any Pokémon will get moves based on the type of their Tera type. Dondozo getting Recover through a Normal Tera Type for example. This metagame would have Tera preview to help you better decide on what types the opponent is using, you don't have to actually terastallize your Pokemon to get the moves but one Pokemon on each team is allowed to terastallize into their type as normal.
Pokémon which usually don't have recovery options and overly powerful moves such as Quiver Dance/Victory Dance could be subject to bans. I think it would require playtesting to see, the metagame could end up balancing itself.
Questions for the community:
Would Tera Preview make this metagame better, in order to see what strategies each Pokémon might use in order to balance it. Like a Pokémon using Tera Bug could be a good indicator that it would be a Quiver Dance sweeper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)