High Quality Fanworks

So back during Gen 5, I assume it was the perfect cross section of "youtube reuploads of popular niconico videos" and "new pokemon game came out", there was a number of fun music videos put out

This is a Battle Subway version of the 10 minute (!) long NicoNico medley which you may/may not have seen elsewhere. Its not translated but it does sound like they rewrote all the lyrics to fit the Subway. And features a lot of fun battle subway artwork! It's a nice fan art showcase if nothing else. I just find this really impressive, most cover like this are of like...small, 3-4 minute songs. Shoutout to the segment of hte song dedicated to the subway fanatic you only see if you go out of your way.

This is a Battle Subway version of a popular vocaloid song, Matryoshka. It's also a cover, but I think keeps all the lyrics the same (juts as well, they're purposely nonsensical) the singer is pretty nice. I hope you like the classic 2010 reupload energy of this one's visual quality.

I hope you like the Subway brothers by the way because if you go looking for songs like this from the era they were EVERYWHERE. Japan loved these goobers for some reason. While gathering these songs up I cam across another like 4. ONE OF THEM WAS 40 MINUTES LONG???

Here's another Pokemon matroyshka cover, this one is generally themed after gen 5 rather than the brothers. Don't let the 2015 upload date fool you this was a reupload since vgperson lost their first account. This one has a translation!

This time an original composition, and another collaboration between a bunch of vocaloid artists AND a ton of fan art. It's basically a gen 5 pokerap. I hope you enjoy the wildly different styles of the artists, the whiplash can be...intense!

That final artist is I believe the same one that did this, from the gen 4 era. It's never been translated but basically it's about OHKO moves never hitting. The chorus is something like "please please please please please please hiiiiiit" from the last time I asked about it. A fair warning that this is sung by the vocaloid Gakupo who is known for being a very uhhhh peculiar sound that's hard to tune. We'll be kind and say its an acquired taste. Fun use of 3D modeling though, you basically never see that in these fanworks.

One of my favorite musical memes is ones that take a song and recreate it with a game's sound clips. You miiiight have seen a ton of songs recreated with the Smash Bros Hammer sound effect back in the day? Same vibes. This one uses the gen 1 sound effects in time with a touhou song, Night of Nights (or...Night of Knights....Knight of Nights....Knight of Knights....), itself a pretty popular song for parodying/covers/whatever. It's a little discordant at times but when it hits it hits.

Enjoy the small snapshot of 2008-2011 Japanese pokemon fanworks

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So does it evolve into the Death Egg Robot (Sonic 2/Generations/Mania), the Egg Emperor (Sonic Heroes), the Egg Dragoon (Sonic Unleashed), or Eggrobo (Sonic Lost World)?

Though I should mention this thread isn't to post fanmade fakemons but rather highlight works Pokemon fans have done with official material. The fanmade fakemons would fall under wishlisting, especially since they'll never be made into official Pokemon. I think the most "fanmade fakemon" that would be allowed would be Smogon's very own CAP projects (BTW this needs to updated, it's missing 5 recent ones, the Prevo projects, and Kerfluffle's image is broken).

So does it evolve into the Death Egg Robot (Sonic 2/Generations/Mania), the Egg Emperor (Sonic Heroes), the Egg Dragoon (Sonic Unleashed), or Eggrobo (Sonic Lost World)?

Though I should mention this thread isn't to post fanmade fakemons but rather highlight works Pokemon fans have done with official material. The fanmade fakemons would fall under wishlisting, especially since they'll never be made into official Pokemon. I think the most "fanmade fakemon" that would be allowed would be Smogon's very own CAP projects (BTW this needs to updated, it's missing 5 recent ones, the Prevo projects, and Kerfluffle's image is broken).
Treated as "Mythical", also thanks for the heads up

In the first post, Yung Dramps mentioned fakemon as an example of fan creations to post here. Just as long as it isn’t any fakemon made by the person who is making the post. I’m not sure if that is against the general forums rules though.

And speaking of CAP, that is something I think is really cool as well even if I have never participated in it myself, nor have I been following the new CAP Pokémon very closely in more recent years. Still, I remember when I first learned about Syclant back during the Gen 4 days and I thought it was one of the coolest things ever.
I kinda want this to exist now, even if I wouldn’t end up watching it.
This is interesting. I never thought about the meaning of the text on the image since I don’t understand Japanese, but going from your reply, I guess it is about an anime based upon XD? So that’s really cool. I have had that picture for 14-15 years and now I learned something new about it!

Anyway, the real reason I’m posting here again is because I wanted to make another post with more of my favorite fan art. Runner-ups to the ones included in my last post, I guess. I went through all the ones I considered including in my previous post and picked 12 more which I think are good enough. And instead of delaying it for two months, I decided that one week would be enough. Most of the things I said last time apply to these as well.

To start with, two more from Pokésho. I think the first one is just really cool, and I love the atmosphere in the second one, it sort of gives a positive school-life feeling to me.

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/28754832
Here’s one I found rather recently, made by the same artist who made the drawing of Ghetsis and his family in my previous post. Anthea and Concordia are underappreciated and need more love, so here’s an image of them!

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/44636292
Battle cuts of the Kalos starters! Really cool.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/arkeis-pokemon/art/The-Pokemon-Alphabet-296167398
Another image by Arkeis, this time showcasing a Pokémon Alphabet. This is a fantastic concept with a really great execution, I love it!

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/kurumierika/art/Commission-XXX-ju-shaoran-355565536
Three stages of Iris. I like images which shows the growth of a character (and this one does it litterally), I think it is really great.

Two more images by Namie-kun. More Gen 5 greatness, the first one showcases Hilda walking over a bridge, the other one shows all the player characters and rivals from Gen 5 (with Hugh's sister included as well).

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/29130366 (it is the last of the four images there)
Who loves Nate? Rosa certainly does! And I love this picture.
It might be recognizable for some long-time members as I used to have it as my avatar here on the forums in the past… but without giving any credit to the artist! Which is something I regret now that I look back. Perhaps this can be a way to remedy that somewhat.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/ringo-mikan/art/I-M-SO-LATE-FOR-V-DAY-BUT-WHO-CARES-354605152
Continuing with some more lovely art, here’s one inspired by the Xtransceiver quest in B2/W2. It has some fun references as well, the most notable being Yancy's Sylveon plush which is another great cross-generational reference!

Artist’s Pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/2744701
I love this image. I like to interpret it as Hilbert & Hilda teaching Nate & Rosa how to become the greatest ever in terms of everything, so that they can take over as their successors and become the new top trainers in Unova.

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17104931
Really unsure about the source for this one, I found many different alternatives and I don’t know which one is right. But I think it is this.
Either way, this is an amazing drawing. It was drawn in celebration of Pokémon’s 15th anniversary, it shows every Pokémon that existed at that point as shiny! Plus, all the player characters and rivals that existed at that point are in the picture as well. I love it! Decided to put it last since the 25th anniversary is next year… I wonder what it will bring us, both in terms of official material and fan creations.
And that’s that. Now I have posted all or at least most of my top favorites when it comes to Pokémon fan art. Thanks Yung Dramps for making this great thread!

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Not sure if this counts but I was going through some old photos and found a half-completed map of the Kalos region I made using Gen II tiles several years ago. I also made the Sevii Islands in the same tileset (will post if people are interested) as well as Unova which I can't currently find.

It was more or less done in the order the player travels through the region, so Vaniville Town, Aquacorde Town, Santalune City, Camphrier Town, Cyllage City, Geosenge Town, Shalour City, Courmarine City (as well as all the associated routes therein) are complete but the eastern side of the region is missing. Some areas have been simplified to fit the limitations of the graphics, but it's a relatively faithful recreation of the region. Victory Road has some missing pieces but is nearly complete; the exterior of Lumiose City is complete but the interior of the city is empty. To the right of Vaniville Town are some vertical train tracks which would have been used for Kiloude City.

Should I complete this? Might be a fun project after I'm done with my Home challenge.

https://i.imgur.com/vAItOms.jpg

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not sure if this counts but I was going through some old photos and found a half-completed map of the Kalos region I made using Gen II tiles several years ago. I also made the Sevii Islands in the same tileset (will post if people are interested) as well as Unova which I can't currently find.

It was more or less done in the order the player travels through the region, so Vaniville Town, Aquacorde Town, Santalune City, Camphrier Town, Cyllage City, Geosenge Town, Shalour City, Courmarine City (as well as all the associated routes therein) are complete but the eastern side of the region is missing. Some areas have been simplified to fit the limitations of the graphics, but it's a relatively faithful recreation of the region. Victory Road has some missing pieces but is nearly complete; the exterior of Lumiose City is complete but the interior of the city is empty. To the right of Vaniville Town are some vertical train tracks which would have been used for Kiloude City.

Should I complete this? Might be a fun project after I'm done with my Home challenge.

https://i.imgur.com/vAItOms.jpg
Looking good so far! Since it's not complete I'm not going to nitpick it too much, though once you complete the layout do you plan on going back over the locations and adding in more details? I know it's not going to be 1:1, but I do feel some routes in particular could have more of their structure referenced and towns/cities having more decorations.

And sure, post the Sevii Islands one if you have it, and if you ever find the Unova I'd also love to see how that translated. :bloblul:

QuentinQuonce

Looking good so far! Since it's not complete I'm not going to nitpick it too much, though once you complete the layout do you plan on going back over the locations and adding in more details? I know it's not going to be 1:1, but I do feel some routes in particular could have more of their structure referenced and towns/cities having more decorations.
I'm not sure if I will ever finish this tbh but it's interesting to look at. I've no idea how Lumiose is going to work. Though I think Couriway Town would be a lot of fun to make...

Which areas do you think need the most tweaking? Route 5 stands out to me as being quite simplistic compared to the real version. Route 22 also needs the Chamber of Emptiness area added on. It's a pity not to have the tram in Courmarine City, but I couldn't find any existing tiles that didn't look goofy. A lot of my motivation for simplifying areas was working with the existing Gen II sprites and not creating anything new that looked out of place.

And sure, post the Sevii Islands one if you have it, and if you ever find the Unova I'd also love to see how that translated. :bloblul:
These are a bit rougher than the Kalos map, being made even longer ago (probably more than 10 years, now I think about it). Were I making them now they'd be much cleaner and probably a fair bit more detailed. Some of my own nitpicks:

Sevii Isles 1-3: https://i.imgur.com/fALhZ2X.jpg

I would have probably added Berry Forest and Mt. Ember as whole areas rather than just the generic overhead images the in-game maps use. Also probably would have disconnected Mt. Ember from the main body of One Island - I always had the idea they were connected, but the artwork shows them to be separate landmasses.

Sevii Isles 4/5 (inc. Navel Rock): https://i.imgur.com/HkC6E2r.jpg

Four Island is pretty much fine, though it may have been cool to add some icy tiles around the cave area. I'd probably add something for the memorial pillar on Five Island, as well as making the meadow area a bit more detailed, but otherwise it looks alright to me.

Sevii Isles 6/7 (inc. Birth Island): https://i.imgur.com/F8bIqX9.jpg

As with the earlier isles, I would probably add Pattern Bush to this. The Ruin Valley is much more simplified than FRLG's version. Sevault Canyon definitely needs some work but quite pleased with how Trainer Tower, the Tanoby Islands, and Birth Island all look.

It's always nostalgic to see Pokesho artwork. It was a really big Thing in gen 3 & 4 fandom (or at least, that was the vibe I got).

Sometimes a little too horny for some of the girls, though....
I think I first discovered Pokésho during the late Gen 3 days, so it is a bit nostalgic for me as well. Especially in preparation of my previous posts in this thread, when I went through the old artwork I have saved from the site and found out that several of them can no longer be found on it. I think Pokésho was the first real Pokémon site I found that was dedicated to fan art.

I agree, but now that I check the site again, it seems like most/all of the sexy artwork has been moved to a separate page. So that's good, I suppose.

green_typhlosion, very nice work on the maps! I think they look really cool, demaking things has a certain charm to it. If you feel like you have the time to make more or make your current maps better, I would love to see that once it is done! That said, this thread was originally not meant to showcase things you had created yourself, but rather fan creations by others. Though I don't know if Yung Dramps is okay with us posting our own stuff now?

Also, your maps reminded me of a similar thing I had previously forgotten about, which I'm posting here now because it is awesome. Back during the early Gen 5 days, someone made a Gen 2 demake of Route 2 in B/W and made a video where it was being played. Here it is:

QuentinQuonce

green_typhlosion, very nice work on the maps! I think they look really cool, demaking things has a certain charm to it. If you feel like you have the time to make more or make your current maps better, I would love to see that once it is done! That said, this thread was originally not meant to showcase things you had created yourself, but rather fan creations by others. Though I don't know if Yung Dramps is okay with us posting our own stuff now?

Also, your maps reminded me of a similar thing I had previously forgotten about, which I'm posting here now because it is awesome. Back during the early Gen 5 days, someone made a Gen 2 demake of Route 2 in B/W and made a video where it was being played. Here it is:

Ah my apologies, didn't see that.

I'd seen the Route 2 video before, but someone also made a full trailer for a hypothetical BW demake which is brilliant:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Which areas do you think need the most tweaking? Route 5 stands out to me as being quite simplistic compared to the real version. Route 22 also needs the Chamber of Emptiness area added on. It's a pity not to have the tram in Courmarine City, but I couldn't find any existing tiles that didn't look goofy. A lot of my motivation for simplifying areas was working with the existing Gen II sprites and not creating anything new that looked out of place.
  • Vaniville Town: The paths in front of the houses could be made longer. Also should include a small pen area for our mom's Rhyhorn. Could also add some garden tiles before the entrance like in the XY map (speaking of which, with the lengthened paths could also add trees and greenery alongside the path.
  • Route 1: Ignoring wanting to make a joke how you perfectly recreated the route (moreso because I don't want to sound mean when I mean to be sarcastic towards XY), I guess you could add some big trees along the path like in XY.
  • Aquacorde Town: I would make the town a bit bigger if only so there would be more room to try and add seats & tables (or the closest thing to it with the sprites available). Also would add a fountain/water thing in the middle of the Pokemon Center and Mart.
  • Route 2: Looks good, though maybe want to add a fencing in both Route & Aquacorde Town to prevent players from surfing in the water as, unless you put something for them to surf to, there's no point in letting them (XY I don't think let you Surf here).
  • Santalune City: Could put a fountain in the middle of the city. Also missing the building on the right side of the city.
  • Route 22 & Pokemon League: I can tell you hadn't really worked on it so we'll just skip back to Santalune City and follow the proper path to:
  • Route 4: I think a little expansion on the sides wouldn't hurt so you could add in even a simple hedge maze on the corners.
  • Lumiose City: Now, do you plan on adding Lumiose City to the map or will it just be it's own separate map outside of it? If it's the former, you may want to actually create make the Lumiose City map first. Lumiose City is big and while that's certainly a big space I question it it's big enough to add in all the paths, alleys, and buildings which makes Lumiose City such a grand place to explore. It may need some more room, BUT that may not be a bad thing in the long run as that may mean you'll be able to give other locations around the map more room to work with.
  • Route 5: It's missing the skating ramp. Also Route 5's notable detail is it's a steep hill so maybe try to recreate that in some way. It's also missing a grassy & cliff section on the top left.
  • Route 9: Hmm, since we're working with Gen II mechanics and your first HM would be Cut, maybe change up the order of events where this is now a Rock Smash "puzzle" and in order to do if you first need to defeat Grant. After you beat Grant he's then alerted someone is messing with Glittering Cave but he first needs to heal his Pokemon so sends you to go check things out.
  • Cyllage City: A big challenge, but I would try to recreated the bike track as best as I could (should be easy to do so with the twisty cliffside part of the track). Also the main city isn't on the beach, it's on an elevated part of the hill, a notable feature as you'd have to move the bike trail that's going through the water as being on the beach since there's no shallow water tiles.
  • Route 10: Remember it is sort of like a maze, there are stone walls you have to get around if you want all the goodies lying about.
  • Geosenge Town: Remove one of the top stone pillars and place the other in the middle, there's only supposes to be three of them.
  • Route 11: You could try to add in the increasing elevation layout
  • Caoumarine City: Aww, not even going to attempt to replicate the tram? Well you could add some boats to the dock area.

And that's all I got to say about the Kalos map. Overall it's shaping up nicely, locations just need some of the details which made them iconic. :blobthumbsup:

As for your Sevii Island maps, they have the general shape and features though I'm surprised how much you simplified being it would be an even easier tile-to-tile job.

Pokemon sprites are fine though the Bianca sprite needs to be simplified.

I'd seen the Route 2 video before, but someone also made a full trailer for a hypothetical BW demake which is brilliant:
Ugh, the Pokemon look ugly, and not in the Gen I ugly-cute way. They look too bloated and/or blocky.

People trying to imitate the rgb style do tend to overshoot (or...undershoot?) for the style. Even "modern" stylings tend to have a little something off than the house style, so I can't blame them for not quite hitting the mark on trying to purposely go off model.

I feel like ideally you'd need someone who is familiar with dot art but not exactly good at dot art to really capture it.

People trying to imitate the rgb style do tend to overshoot (or...undershoot?) for the style. Even "modern" stylings tend to have a little something off than the house style, so I can't blame them for not quite hitting the mark on trying to purposely go off model.

I feel like ideally you'd need someone who is familiar with dot art but not exactly good at dot art to really capture it.
Weirdly it's the reverse issue for 16 bit. Everyone wants to stick too closely to GFs mediocre Gen 4 shading, the fakemons get barely distinct, and for those wanting to do Gen 3 hacks, they're too used to 4s "artstyle"
People overexaggerate the good and bad frequently. It's lead to notoriously increasing casual behavior and lack of constructive critique as a result

Weirdly it's the reverse issue for 16 bit. Everyone wants to stick too closely to GFs mediocre Gen 4 shading, the fakemons get barely distinct, and for those wanting to do Gen 3 hacks, they're too used to 4s "artstyle"
People overexaggerate the good and bad frequently. It's lead to notoriously increasing casual behavior and lack of constructive critique as a result
Honestly I kind of like gen 4's shading (&...5, I suppose, since most of those use gen 4 as a base), but fan sprites they just kind of...dont hit the mark. I've seen sprites for, say, gen 6 pokemon and they're not bad but there's this certain flair that just isn't coming through. Like they're TOO flat, or weren't tweaked enough.

Gen 3 I feel like no one understands how shading there works. I feel like usually I see them either over shade or just...do a gen 4/5-styled sprite and then back port it which, oof.

Spritework is hard and adhering to another's style sounds even harder so I'm sympathetic, at least

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
RacieB is the artist. She's made a lot of Gen I/II sugimori style art of beta Pokemon, like the above. While we only have the sprites but not the name, it is obviously based off of an old Japanese tale about a Tanuki carrying firewood, and another animal(forgot which one) set it on fire.
A rabbit. It's from a Japanese legend called Kachi-kachi Yama, roughly literally translating to "Fire-Crackle Mountain" though some English versions call it "The Farmer & The Badger". It's actually one of the more darker stories involving a Tanuki where it's a villain:

A farmer catches a tanuki who's been bothering it and plans to cook it later, but the tanuki tricks the farmer's wife to let it go promising it'll cook a delicious meal. Upon releasing it, the tanuki kills the wife, shapeshifts into her, and cooks her into soup for the farmer. After eating the tanuki reverts to its normal form and tells the farmer what he did, running away leaving the man grieving.
A rabbit the couple had made friends with hears the man grieving who tells him what has happened, and so the rabbit promises to get revenge. It pretends to befriend the tanuki and does various tricks to it while coming up with excuses what could have happened. This is where we get to the scrapped Pokemon and the Japanese name of the story as one of the tricks is having the tanuki carry firewood which the rabbit sets on fire, and when the tanuki asks why it smells and hears fire the rabbit explains they are near a "kachi-kachi yama" thus the tanuki doesn't know its back is on fire until its badly burned.
After tormenting the tanuki enough, the rabbit challenges it to a "friendly" boat race where the rabbit uses a log boat and the tanuki uses a mud boat. Halfway through the race the mud boat begins to break apart which is when the rabbit reveals to be friends with the couple and this is punishment for its evil deeds, letting the tanuki drown. The rabbit then goes back to tell the man about the vengeance, relieving him and thanking the rabbit for its deed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)