High Quality Fanworks

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Upset with the style of the DP Remakes? A fan reimagine the games with how we expected them to look... sorta:
I say sorta as, with them having both SM & SwSh trainer classes walking around, most of these screenshots are likely locations in those games with texture changes & some rearranging (heck, don't recognize what place they're supposed to be, I can say this much for the DP remake trailer is that I know the locations they were showing off). But hey, it's at least a taste of what could have been.

On the other hand, if you absolutely hate this and instead want the opposite direction, for them to go even MORE blocky, well I got something for you too! Fabian Barthel (if his Instagram is to be believed) is trying to recreate the entire Sinnoh region out of LEGO! Nintendo Life probably is the best way to read it as they have a batch of the LEGO recreations next to their in-game counterparts, but he has more on his Instagram warlordjimbei. He also has a Reddit, going by Scoutisaspyable, but there's not really many images there (though one of his posts mentions the unsurprising fact that, if you tried to make a lifesize map, the connecting points don't line-up as some parallel routes are different sizes or bend in ways the entrance points don't touch).

On the other hand, if you absolutely hate this and instead want the opposite direction, for them to go even MORE blocky, well I got something for you too!
If it wasn't for me being kinda impressed with the blocks, I'd honestly be mad. You honestly sounded way too aggressive with that statement. The vid does have very blatant issues (like the oversaturated and exposed bloom and lighting, choppy animations, lack of combat)
I get most are annoyed with the remake being based on sprites instead of art, but if you like LGPE and LA DX Switch visually, I legit can't take the hypocrisy. It's not like ANY Pokemon remake was living up to the full potential of the modern gens tech either (HGSS? Didn't fix garbage mon distribution, balancing, or hyper tile limited design)
Now IF you were critical to the mentioned games and taking less petty jabs to the upcoming one, maybe we'd stop regurgitating old topics
Sorry for exploding, but it's getting aggravating, even with the amount of effort put in that vid

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sonikku A :
This isn't the thread to discuss this on... mostly because the thread to do so was locked (partly due to arguments like this). So I'll just make some quick points:
  • I did criticize the fanmade trailer, it didn't escape my "jabs". True, I mostly pointed out it was reusing assets instead of the wonky animations and lighting, which it does have, but overall my point still stands that it has more of the feel of what people were expecting (then again, so does Legends Arceus albeit). As for combat, would probably look no different from the combat in the actual BDSP trailer, Pokemon been using the same in-game battle layout since XY with SM only adding in the trainers in the background.
  • Why yes, you can like LGPE's and Link Awakening DX's art style yet also still hate BDSP's 3D faux-sprites and not be a hypocrite. There are many reasons for this, both comparative and individual factors. This is not the thread to discuss this on so I'll refrain from posting them, though if you'd like to hear my thoughts we can talk over a PM.
  • So just because other remakes failed to reach their full potential we should be okay with GF doing it again instead of wanting & demanding for them to do better?
  • One man's petty jabs is another's critical thoughts. And vice versa.

Sonikku A :
This isn't the thread to discuss this on... mostly because the thread to do so was locked (partly due to arguments like this). So I'll just make some quick points:
  • I did criticize the fanmade trailer, it didn't escape my "jabs". True, I mostly pointed out it was reusing assets instead of the wonky animations and lighting, which it does have, but overall my point still stands that it has more of the feel of what people were expecting (then again, so does Legends Arceus albeit). As for combat, would probably look no different from the combat in the actual BDSP trailer, Pokemon been using the same in-game battle layout since XY with SM only adding in the trainers in the background.
  • Why yes, you can like LGPE's and Link Awakening DX's art style yet also still hate BDSP's 3D faux-sprites and not be a hypocrite. There are many reasons for this, both comparative and individual factors. This is not the thread to discuss this on so I'll refrain from posting them, though if you'd like to hear my thoughts we can talk over a PM.
  • So just because other remakes failed to reach their full potential we should be okay with GF doing it again instead of wanting & demanding for them to do better?
  • One man's petty jabs is another's critical thoughts. And vice versa.
Man I need to stop overreacting. Sorry Pika. And no you're right, the DP remakes do deserve criticism. I need to cool off

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Man I need to stop overreacting. Sorry Pika. And no you're right, the DP remakes do deserve criticism. I need to cool off
Hey man, I've been there on the opposite end.

For those who are genuinely excited about the remakes I can understand why those going on about the graphics would be irritating. I'll reiterate it's not just the graphics which bother me but that, from what I'm seeing, they're 1:1 recreating the sprites into 3D models. I just don't see the point, there was a point in Link's Awakening DX for it to be like that, but not here. Infact I would rather they do "chibi" sprites as they did them in Gen VI or LGPE because those feel like they're replicating the sprite style BUT have also modernized them.

So to put things back on track... um... let's see what's on Pokemon Reddit.
WAIT! How about just that: the Pokemon Reddit! Everyday ton of great drawings, crafts, videos, and other fanmade stuff get posted. You can go to it everyday to see new stuff on the main page (heck, probably every hour even) and keep looking back-and-back and never run out of stuff to see! And of course they keep up-to-date:

The discussion in the unpops thread about gender differences and especially about Primarina reminded me of a piece of fan art I saw a while ago. Over time, my opinion of it has changed drastically. Here it is:

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/gaiienpokedex/art/Male-and-Female-Primarina-Differences-739855426

When I first saw this, I thought it was weird. It felt to me like the artist was mocking Primarina, which I did not approve of (I love Primarina). Because of that, I didn't like this at all. But now that I look back at it, I think it is actually pretty well done. While it might seem a bit odd at first, I think it makes sense. Of course the males wants to be pretty and colorful in order to attract the females! So I actually like it nowadays. The artist also wrote a more detailed description on the DA page, check it out for more info.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah this kind of sexual dimorphism isn't rare in our world, with males being brighter to attract females (and usually, the brighter they are, the higher their chances).
Bonus points for the spp. nomenclature, although this implies there are several species of Primarina...
Should've used sp.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Been a while since some fakemons impressed me. But these fakemons have a special gimmick to them: they're "inbetween" evolutions. Called "In-Progress Pokemon", the artist also going by "InProgressPokemon", the artist basically made a new evolutionary step that helped bridge the gap between stages. Some are common sense, some are clever, some are funny, and some are nightmare fuel. I'll let you figure out which ones are which. :blobnom:

In addition to the In-Progress project (which also includes making inbetween evolutions for Mega Evos (though no Gigantamax) & new Baby stages (plus unique Egg design)) they of course have their own batch of Fakemon and also a project of creating Dual-type Eeveelutions.

Been a while since some fakemons impressed me. But these fakemons have a special gimmick to them: they're "inbetween" evolutions. Called "In-Progress Pokemon", the artist also going by "InProgressPokemon", the artist basically made a new evolutionary step that helped bridge the gap between stages. Some are common sense, some are clever, some are funny, and some are nightmare fuel. I'll let you figure out which ones are which. :blobnom:

In addition to the In-Progress project (which also includes making inbetween evolutions for Mega Evos (though no Gigantamax) & new Baby stages (plus unique Egg design)) they of course have their own batch of Fakemon and also a project of creating Dual-type Eeveelutions.
Oh this... this is just precious.

My life has been made better by the addition of Poliwobble.

one of his posts mentions the unsurprising fact that, if you tried to make a lifesize map, the connecting points don't line-up as some parallel routes are different sizes or bend in ways the entrance points don't touch
Wait, really? I remember reading years ago that Sinnoh was the one region where "lining-up" actually worked, thanks to Mystery Zones joining up the whole overworld, the code that maps the overworld to the Underground, and the whole 32x32 tiles shtick that makes the tweaking glitch possible. Every single square on the Town Map should map exactly to a 32x32 overworld block.

Edit: Oh, I dug a little more; they're including cave interiors and z-axis changes. That would definitely cause mismatches.

Upset with the style of the DP Remakes? A fan reimagine the games with how we expected them to look... sorta:
I say sorta as, with them having both SM & SwSh trainer classes walking around, most of these screenshots are likely locations in those games with texture changes & some rearranging (heck, don't recognize what place they're supposed to be, I can say this much for the DP remake trailer is that I know the locations they were showing off). But hey, it's at least a taste of what could have been.
Someone might have posted it in another thread, but this creator just came out with a follow up:

Definitely looks pretty, and pretty impressive. Would be neat if one could dress up the Pokemon like that, but that's obviously too much work for a main series game, at least until Niantic/Tencent have made costumed models and animations for every Pokemon that GF/Creatures can reuse :P

Time for some more fan music. There's a new fan song by Jyc Row and Psamathes, which is about Kyogre.

As can be expected from Jyc Row, it is pretty epic. He is also planning to make two more songs, which will be about Groudon and Rayquaza. That is something for Hoenn fans to look forward to. Personally, I am really looking forward to them!
This song was also featured on the recent album from Ponies at Dawn, Oceansong. I'm quite surprised to see a Pokémon song being featured on one of their albums, but I definitely approve. This one was very suitable for a water-themed album.

While we're at it, I decided to take a look and see if there were any more new fan songs from Il Neige, which Pikachu315111 introduced me to earlier in this thread. And upon checking Il Neige's channel, I saw that he had uploaded two new songs since last time.

One about Magikarp and one about Dugtrio. Both Gen 1 Pokémon...but I don't really mind, it is still good music and I like both of these songs.

Last edited:
Time for some more fan music! I think I'm going to use this thread to post new fan music from time to time.

First, there's a new song by Il Niege. I decided to subscribe to him so I won't miss any of his new songs. This one is about New Pokémon Snap:

I think it is a really great parody. The lyrics are great, and the video was hilarious! This song also got pretty popular, it even got featured on CNN.

Next, something that's a bit older. Three songs by Silva Hound, inspired by the three teams in Pokémon GO. They were released back in 2016 when the game was still a huge sensation.

I liked all three of them. Three hard-hitting EDM tracks, as can be expected from Silva (I'm no expert on genres so I don't know exactly what genre(s) they should be classified as).

My post in the unpops thread earlier today made me think more about the fan comic Rare Candy Treatment, and I figured I should make a post about it here. I don't think it has been featured in this thread before. It is not active anymore, but it ran for several years. It was created by Bummer, who is a member here on Smogon as well. Not tagging him though.

Here are some of my personal favorites from it:

1630082348021.png

1630082360892.png

1630082370923.png

1630082379448.png

1630082388689.png

1630082400961.png

1630082966748.png

1630082416451.png

1630082422714.png

1630082428515.png

1630082435736.png

1630082441445.png

1630082989226.png
Most of the others can be found on Bummer's Deviantart page: https://www.deviantart.com/bummerforshort/gallery/26566162/comic-rare-candy-treatment

And while I'm here, there was a new song by Il Niege a while ago. This time, about one of the most iconic Pokémon, Charizard!

Personally, I find it a bit relatable. I never had a holographic Charizard, but I did have a holographic Blastoise when I was a kid. Sadly, I lost it pretty quickly in a stupid trade. Wish I still had it, but at least I will never forget the memory of it.

I thought a bit more about fan music and I remembered a Pokémon fan song by Pogo which was released a few years ago. It is a typical Pogo-style song, using voice clips from the anime. It comes with a video as well, which uses scenes from the anime. I think it is pretty good. Check it out below:

And today, Youtube randomly recommended me some more fan music. A musician by the name Trickywi have done a bunch of fan songs. Here are two of the ones I have listened to, the first one is about Primarina, the second is inspired by Perish Song.

A playlist with all of her music (including some songs that aren't about Pokémon) can be found here. I think I'll listen through it in the near future. Discovering new music is always fun, especially fan music for things I am also a fan of!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)