High Quality Fanworks

This right here is probably the best animated representation of the fast switch-heavy nature of real competitive battles. It also contains one of my favorite action sequences in any media, specifically the part between 9:35 and 9:44. But the whole thing is great, as is to be expected from Alan Becker.

Also that Lopunny is still cursed.

Last edited:
A fan animation which shows what Pokémon Adventures could be like if it was animated. It showcases many different scenes from the manga, from all chapters that existed at the time, starting with R/B and going all the way to S/M. It showcases all the dexholders, many other important characters and several of the most powerful scenes from the manga too. I love everything about it.

Here's another animation I like. Short but very funny and with a somewhat unexpected ending!

I don't listen to a lot of Pokémon fan music, but from the little I have listened to, this is one of my favorites.

Regarding fan art, there are several pictures and images that I like. I'm going to go through my folder of saved fan art and pick a few of my favorites from there, then post them here another time.

This entire playlist of tribute videos celebrating the 20th anniversary of Pokémon.

It's a showcase of fanart/animation of all Pokémon types, accompanied by various ost remixes, and even some very obscure references. As a fun detail, every video type is followed by another one who has type advantage.

EDIT: Here's the entire playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9YOAyQWF4HMi6iESo-QsqK_O5MrYToRB

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Guess I'll post the original reason why this thread was made: voice acting in Pokemon. Particularly that awkward cutscene in Sword & Shield where Piers is supposed to be belting out a song when you meet him in Spikemuth... but he's just silently mouthing something while making exaggerated movements and Team Yell's encounter theme is playing. Well, fans have taken the flag to try and make that scene look less ridiculous (or in some cases more):

One more.
Alright, this one too.

I don't listen to a lot of Pokémon fan music, but from the little I have listened to, this is one of my favorites.
He doesn't put as many videos up as he used to, but Il Neige is another musician Youtuber who's been making a few Pokemon-based music videos (Rock That Pokemon):

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This might be cheating but screw it it's my thread

As the title implies this is a little documentary about Game Freak's very first game by the name of Quinty, or Mendel Palace in the US. Without spoiling too much it's actually kind of mindblowing how GF were way ahead of the curve, for example having the hallmarks of an indie dev studio in a time where that really wasn't a thing or making an unofficial gaming magazine long before the advent of fansites. It's very well-researched and I'd recommend giving it a watch!

This is an acrylic painting I did of Goomy.

My Pet Goomy.jpg

This painting was done on Bristol paper that is 12 x 14 inches. The techniques used include Scrgaffito ( Taking the sides of the brush and painting each before dabbing each repeatedly to create circular patterns. A fan crush was used to create the linework on Goomy itself. Painter's tape was the used to keep the edge nice crisp. Finally, uses the opposite end of the brush, scratching was used to create the indentations on the wood.

Speaking of which, I recently saw a video of someone expressing distaste in the Gen 8 starters , and they showed fan work that looks much cooler than Sobble's actual evolution.

Fan Sobble Evolution 1.png

Fan Sobble Evolution2.png

You know something is wrong when the fan evolutions are more liked than the actual evolutions.

Here's a really cool analysis of Bede's music.

Also be sure to check out some of his other videos. He makes some phenominal remasters of Pokemon songs.

I'm upset I didn't share this sooner.

This is the Perfect Pokerap, crafted for PAX East 2019 by Brian David Gilbert (Safety Fan and Bureaucratic Wunderkind). The first video goes over BDG's process for making the song as well as a live performance of said song, while the second video is the studio version of the song. I recommend watching both of them in order. The first video gives necessary context to appreciate the song (and is also just really funny, it's basically a stand-up routine) while the second video has much cleaner audio and the constant focus on the screen makes it easier to follow the wordplay.

So I'm not usually one for rom hacks, but a couple of them have recently been eating up my attention.
1602006818740.png

Let's start with the one that impressed me the most. This rom hack transforms Crystal into an openworld experience, makes every pokemon obtainable, adds a scaling trainer system so you're always more likely to be challenged, new sidequests, the ability to get event-only moves on your 'mons, all while retaining compatibility with Stadium 2 and Pokemon Transporter (it's even compatible with actual GBC hardware!)
As someone who has played through Gen 2 enough times to wear the buttons down on my magenta GBC this was just the breath of fresh air I needed to keep going just that bit more!

1602007430919.png

This hack in particular is a difficulty overhaul for X and Y (a much needed one imo) with several options for install.
Personally, I prefer just having a vanilla+ experience, limited Pokemon pool and all but there is a catch em all option for those who would prefer that. Great if you want a more engaging difficulty curve

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hey, if we're going to talk about high quality fanwork, maybe we should mention the guy who's fanwork was so good Pokemon Company hired him to help with a movie they were making.

Yup, talking about RJ Palmer, better known as arvalis on DeviantArt, who is best known for his series of illustrations of Pokemon drawn as if they were real life creature.

As I said, his realistic interpretation was so good that Legendary Pictures and Pokemon Company hired him to help with the concept art of what the Pokemon in Detective Pikachu would look like. And while the Pokemon in the movie retained their cartoon-y proportions and general appearance, Palmer's "organic (horror)" style does still reflect with some Pokemon via textures and morphology of the body (looking at you Mr. Mime and Lickitung). He has some of the movie concept art on his DeviantArt.

So, what has RJ Palmer been doing since the movie? What he's always been doing, a freelance concept artist can't rest on his laurels too long (in fact he's probably striking while the iron is still hot).

Of course, he does other stuff other than Pokemon (looking through his drawings he has general prehistoric animals, mythical beasts, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Digimon, and some surprising ones like Undertale). However this is a Pokemon forum so I'll end this on a Pokemon-related crossover: what if Godzilla kaiju and Monster Hunter monsters were Pokemon:

Any fan of Epic Rap Battles of History here? Well, there was another tribute channel that make high quality Pokémon rap battles, with the singers emulating perfectly the Pokemon's voice while making clever references and roasts. I just watched them again years after the Kanto Starter vid and they keep making great content, like:

Incineroar totally won that battle. Get bent, Trash Greninja.

He doesn't put as many videos up as he used to, but Il Neige is another musician Youtuber who's been making a few Pokemon-based music videos (Rock That Pokemon):
Very late reply, but thanks for the links! I listened to these a while ago and I liked them. It seems like he has also made another song since then, this time about Greninja.

And it is good as well.

Anyway, the real reason I’m posting here again is because in my last post, I said that I would make another post here about my favorite Pokémon fan art. And I always intended to keep that promise… even if it took me two months before I finally got around to it.

I went through my folders of Pokémon fan art and tried to pick my overall favorites. It was not easy, but I managed to narrow it down to 23 pictures in total. I tried to find the right artist/source for all of them but there are some I am a bit unsure about. If I made any mistakes, please tell me and I’ll correct them.

Most of these are pretty old, all of them are from before the release of Gen 7, there is nothing from Gen 7 or 8.

It became pretty long and many of the images are large, so I put them in a spoiler.

Here we go!

Source: Pokésho
Four images from the same artist. Or I think so at least, since they are from the same source. While I didn’t manage to find any of them on the site now, I know that’s where I found them in the past. The first one is Latias and her human alter ego from Pokémon Adventures. The second is about Pokémon XD, back from when the game was new. The third and fourth are from the PMD series. I have never played any of the PMD games but I can still appreciate some great artwork based on them!

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/arkeis-pokemon/art/Sylveon-and-Eevee-353851474
A cute image of Sylveon and Eevee. I love it! Arkeis is a member here on Smogon as well, though I did not tag him since I don’t know him.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/jiayi/art/Autumn-182052435
A nice autumn image featuring Deerling and Sawsbuck.

Tried to find a source for this, but the only thing I could find was a deleted Pixiv account.
Either way, I love this. Rosa has many Eevee, what will she evolve them all into? And how in the world did she get a Sylveon? I think this image captures the cross-generational feeling incredibly well (the end of Gen 5 is drawing near and Gen 6 is about to start). I love it!

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15087865
Super cute art of the Cottonee and Petilil lines!

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/28354788
Ghetsis and his “family”, the Pokémon and the children seem happy but Ghetsis himself seem more annoyed. Though we all know that he isn’t a very good father. I think this is a very cute and funny picture.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/dckong153/art/To-Catch-A-Pokemon-426708649
A fun fan comic I had laying around, decided to include it here as well.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/agusda/art/Yveltal-547983119
A little unsure about the source here, I found two possible alternatives. One was this, the other was a deactivated DA account.
Either way, I love this picture and how dark it is even if it is pretty simple.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/aonik/art/Dragon-Princess-314952992
A beautiful drawing of the best Champion and her Axew.

Artist’s Pixiv account (I think): https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/4096220
I love this image. It feels like a perfect setting for an AU centered around the students at Aspertia City’s trainer’s school and the lives of the students there. Or something. The artist missed Roxie’s freckles though, but that’s okay, they are not the only ones who did that.

Artist’s Pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/590608
Teatime! And cake time, too. I rarely drink tea, but I love this image.

Six images by Namie-kun (Pixiv / Twitter / Tumblr). This artist had a DA as well in the past, but it appears to have been deleted.
The first one depicts the awesomeness of B2/W2, no further explanation needed.
The second one showcases the Marine Tube and how it feels to walk through/under the sea in the Pokémon world.
The third captures the essence of breeding very well.
The fourth is a very cool take on the Veteran trainer class in Gen 5.
The fifth is a school trip. Why can't Pokémon schools exist in real life?
The sixth is themed around Laverre City and Fairies.

Continuing with the Fairy-theme, here’s Valerie in a (wedding?) dress!
Couldn’t find any source for this apart from a booru page which I’m not sure how it works, and “ch2o” as the artist name.

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/23531382
Because I like more than just Unova and Kalos, so I decided to include this as well. It feels like a fantastic representation of Sinnoh.

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/29961950
Back to Unova one last time. I like this image, it feels like a “goodbye” of sorts, that’s why I put it as the last one in this post.
Those are my favorite pieces of fan art… from the fan art I have seen, at least. But as said, it was hard to pick my top favorites. I might make yet another post here later on with more favorites, but I’m not sure about it. Maybe in another two months from now.

So that’s fan animations, music, art and comics. What’s left? The answer is: fanfiction! However, that’s not really my thing as I haven’t read more than two Pokémon fanfics (and I did not like them at all). I also feel that fanfiction doesn’t really work for me when it comes to Pokémon, but I have admittedly not read many Pokémon fanfics so maybe I just got the wrong impression from the ones I have read. Though I don’t really have the time/interest to give Pokémon fanfiction another try either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)