Dec 7 - 21: 5* Raids for Dialga & Palkia

From what I've seen, the moves were randomly chosen. Dialga was using Fire Blast vs my Umbreon the moment the raid started.
1701997270070.png

I can attest the AI for this raid doesn't seem very smart. I went in with solo Azumarill and Palkia just spammed Hydro Pumps on me. After I tera'd I saw a couple Fire Blasts and Thunders, but as you can see all Azumarill needed to do was only press Play Rough. I didn't even bring Belly Drum.

If it has Metal Burst you just take mental note to run phisical attackers.
Metal Burst is the one that counters both physical and special at 1.5x damage but without decreased priority.

View attachment 577504
I can attest the AI for this raid doesn't seem very smart. I went in with solo Azumarill and Palkia just spammed Hydro Pumps on me. After I tera'd I saw a couple Fire Blasts and Thunders, but as you can see all Azumarill needed to do was only press Play Rough. I didn't even bring Belly Drum.

Metal Burst is the one that counters both physical and special at 1.5x damage but without decreased priority.
Yeah, the AI's a bag of rocks on this one, I just beat both with my regular Iron Hands. Beat Dialga first try (it didn't go for Earth Power once until I'd already Tera'd), Palkia took 2 thanks to it getting a lucky burn off Fire Blast the first go.

1701999703483.png

1701999687794.png

Dialga was pretty rough but only took a couple tries. The host led Hisuian Avalugg and died pretty often to Steel Beam or whatever it is. Umbreon used Skill Swap T1 for some reason but had Helping Hand and Screech. Fire Ogerpon used Swords Dance and Play Rough. I basically just set Light Screen and aimed to get Fairy tera up ASAP even without using Belly Drum just to break through the shield faster.

1701999914407.png
1701999931902.png

1701999941430.png
1701999973311.png

I also ran into a bug in a Palkia raid where the game paused for a very long time at the start, and then I played the raid solo but with another player's Sylveon, and the other players visually shifted as well. The other (bot) players automatically terastallized when I did, but their timers still counted towards deaths. I've seen talk of this bug a couple times but this is the first time seeing it for myself.

Hm, I want to say their idiotic ai is due to them only being 5 star, however I'm pretty sure even Walking Wake and Iron Leaves' ai was at least somewhat competent.
Hey at least be lucky it's not Tera Mewtwo levels of hard, that raid was genuinely bs and even with Skeledirge and Tera Bug Mew that shit was near impossible to solo without the perfect odds.

It is a free legendary, after all, what more could you ask for?

1702004408730.png

AI is dumber than a sack of bricks since it only tried to drop a Draco on me (and missed) and kept using Fire Blasts in the rain but I am not complaining about free ability patches. I'll try to see if I can make time to optimize my H-Goodra set and share results tomorrow but no promises.

Hey at least be lucky it's not Tera Mewtwo levels of hard, that raid was genuinely bs and even with Skeledirge and Tera Bug Mew that shit was near impossible to solo without the perfect odds.

It is a free legendary, after all, what more could you ask for?
I'm not complaining, just surprised. Besides, I still believe the thing that made Mewtwo near impossible to solo is having Calm Mind as part of his regular moveset. If it wasn't for that one thing I'm 85% sure that raid would've been at least remotely possible.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I used this to solo Dialga and to win online for Palkia, but it is better and easier against Palkia:

:sv/flutter_mane:
Flutter Mane @ Big Root
Tera Type: Fairy
Modest Ability
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 128 HP / 128 SpDef
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Sunny Day
- Calm Mind

I didn’t put a lot of thought or optimization into this build, it’s just the Mane that I already had in my box and I adjusted its moveset a little, but that’s all. These raids are pretty easy, and as others have said, the AI makes them even easier. I’m probably going to farm the Palkia raid online with this, because it works better than against Dialga (those Steel Beams hurt, but dumb AI is dumb, so not a dealbreaker). Nice rewards on this event, so it’s worth farming.

Yeah I had the same idea about SpDef Umbreon. Managed to beat the two easily despite getting partnered with Special Zacian BOTH TIMES
I'm unsure of if there was some weird resurgence, but both for this and the previous raid I've seen... a large amount of clearly-genned pokemon (you know, the usual shiny legendary with site name as nickname).

If it was just the genning part I wouldn't exactly care, but what amazes me is how the players are *always* incompetent.

This time for example while doing the Dialga raid, I ran into both a Enamorous-Therian who used... Healing Wish turn 1 (?) then Outrage after that (???), then a Moltres who first used 2 attack cheers, then tried to Will O Wisp the shielded boss twice, then after I used Rain Dance (I was on Blissey, I have rain Dance on it since I used it for Chari ages ago and never took it off) for a moment I thought he had a illumination as he used Hurricane... then went to spam Fire Blast. In rain. Against a Dragon type.

My lord why....

Managed to win against Palkia with Goodra-H, even though two teammates brought Arboliva and freaking Delphox (both spamming Dazzling Gleam). Fortunately, the AI is genuinely stupid and only killed Delphox with Hydro Pump once, then just spammed Thunder against it the rest of the battle. Also only used Thunder against Arboliva, never Fire Blast. Used Goodra-H against Dialga too, it never used Earth Power against me, just Steel Beam and Fire Blast. Two teammates brought Mew and Corviknight, they were being dumb using Reflect for some reason. My Goodra and third teammate's Sylveon were competent enough to get us the win. Lots of people bringing dumb things to these raids, even more than usual.
:psygrump:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Didn’t feel like raising anything new, and with all the attention to the event now knew I could find DPS online, I just went all out support— brought my Special Defensive Grimsnarl originally trained for Rank Battles. Just replaced Reflect with Fake Tears since there are so many special attackers.

Light Clay / Prankster
-Light Screen
-Spirit Break
-Fake Tears
-Parting Shot

Haven’t lost online yet— just screening/Cheering/debuffing to keep the team going

1702013584168.png

Goodra-H @ Shell Bell
Tera Type: Dragon
Modest Nature
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef
- Dragon Pulse
- Acid Spray
- Life Dew (Not needed but handy recovery if doing multi but I had it just because)
- Filler

Since neighbors are being extra noisy tonight, I could not get any sleep and instead I just hopped on and tweaked the EV spread from max SpDef to Max SpA since it was clear Palkia couldn't so much as touch Goodra outside of Draco Meteor. Speaking of:

1702013872582.png

Goodra was 360 HP before having a Draco dropped on it, which was around 69% (the max Palkia could do outside of a crit would be 76-77%), which was more or less nothing since Shell Bell Dragon Pulse and a heal cheer was enough to undo it. Like last time, Palkia only used Draco Meteor once on me throughout the whole fight so I am wondering if its scripted to not use it until a certain point to avoid the issue of being unable to remove the stat drops outside of resets. Serebii site mentions nothing about Draco being script locked so I am assuming I might have just been lucky again.

1702014378344.png

Nice this guy has practically been spilling out free Calciums.

I used the flutter mane I built for the 7* Charizard raids for this, worked decently well against both. Vs Dialga (solo) I lost the first time because it started steel beaming constantly while I was setting up, so the next round I only set up one calm mind and then kept draining kissing to stall out trick room. After that it was possible to work in some moonblasts.

Same strat vs Palkia online, where there was less risk due to no steel beam.

I am surprised that I have had trouble matching with people for these raids. Usually forthw first day of events I find matches quickly. Do you all have the same issue? Since ethe raid was a surprise, maybe some people don't even know yet. Or maybe since we have a long time to play there's less urgency and more folks will try over the weekend.

I haven't won yet, but I only tried Dialga once with Iron Hands (and a bad team) and then Palkia with my Azumarill, two Sylveons, and Dipplin, and we got close but I messed up by using Belly Drum when popping Tera Fairy, losing resistance to Rain boosted Hydro Pump and then dying the turn after. Should have Heal cheered. Womp womp.

Palkia was an easy solo with a modest Sylveon I had in my boxes already. After 2 Calm Minds it was doing next to no damage, so just Hyper Voice (assuming pixelate) until it went down. I think I used Draining Kiss once, but it might not have been necessary.

Having trouble getting into online Dialga raids, managed to get into one but someone brought Baxcalibur and was fainting on every turn so that raid ended quickly. Planning to use a support Grimmsnarl for that if I ever have better luck connecting later.

Both were very easy for me. Even ignoring their stupid ai, Dialga's Earth Power does practically nothing to Hisuian Goodra, and he can survive a Draco Meteor Post Tera as long as it doesn't crit. I had to fight Dialga twice because I forgot that I had no Pokeballs the 1st time so I had to buy more afterwards and both times it was really easy.

I am surprised that I have had trouble matching with people for these raids. Usually forthw first day of events I find matches quickly. Do you all have the same issue? Since ethe raid was a surprise, maybe some people don't even know yet. Or maybe since we have a long time to play there's less urgency and more folks will try over the weekend.

I haven't won yet, but I only tried Dialga once with Iron Hands (and a bad team) and then Palkia with my Azumarill, two Sylveons, and Dipplin, and we got close but I messed up by using Belly Drum when popping Tera Fairy, losing resistance to Rain boosted Hydro Pump and then dying the turn after. Should have Heal cheered. Womp womp.
Yeah I've had really ba dluck communicating. I couldn't connecto any Dialga raid after 3 attempts and it took 2 attempts to find a Palkia raid I could connect to.
Reminds me of all the communication errors I got in the amurott raid

That Palkia raid went very badly. I piloted the Umbreon roughly (mistimed the Sunny Day, used Fake Tears when I should have Screeched) but the real killer was a Hisuian Zoroark that kept dying.

To th epeople who brought PIkachu & Cloyster to this Dialga raid i finally got into: I hate you

To the people who brought Dialga & Sylveon and used Roar of Time & Pixilate Hyper Beam: I want to study you both in a lab
I mean it worked, I guess, but like. For real? I put the victory on the shoulders of Support Milotic

I caught it in a Great Ball.

My wining Palkia was Sylveon, Origin Dialga, and Tinkaton ( i mean i GUESS)
The dialga used, Steel Beam followed by Draco Meteor spam. THen Steel Beam later in the fight when someone healed it up. And even later it KILLED ITSELF WITH IT. I was hoping we'd lose out of spite but some how we pulled it out. The Tinkaton was good at keeping us alive. Aside from the Dialga.

I put this one in a Heal Ball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)