Cool Funky Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo swap Pheromosa and Buzzwole’s abilities and buff Xurk and I’m satisfied with UBs :)
Also, posting this here, but if we want to give random abilities that are also okay, let’s give Staka Tough Claws 0w0

P.S: I’m off PC so lemme know on my wall if you approved either of my suggestions thechurchofcage

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ayo kids, it's time for some discussion topics

image.jpg
Xurkitree Re-Do
It's already been explained and discussed in this thread, but Xurkitree is arguably worse in CFM than in vanilla. As a Tail Glow sweeper, it's outclassed by Manaphy, who may be weaker, but compensates with better bulk, much better speed and a better defensive typing, making setting up Tail Glow much easier, as well as Silvally-Bug, who's still faster, being able to outpace threats like Kartana, Keldeo and Blacephalon while having way more power and versatility. Meanwhile, as a wallbreaker, it competes a lot with Mega Ampharos, which may take up a mega slot, but makes it worth it by having more bulk, more immediate power and a better typing offensively and defensively.

image.jpg
Oranguru
Passimian has already received a nice makeover with a fun STAB combo and new offensive tools, so now let's move on to his brother. Currently, the only new thing we have given it is Sap Sipper, which while interesting, still doesn't patch up its mediocre stats and poor longevity. Its movepool and current abilities are a-ok: I think giving its stats a little upgrade is all it needs to succeed.

image.jpg
Mega Aerodactyl suspect?
Mega Aerodactyl was originally banned for being able to spam powerful Brave Birds and Head Smashes with zero drawbacks thanks to Rock Head while blazing past everything with an incredible 150 base speed. However, this Pokemon may be worth revisiting. It's incredibly one-note and predictable, and Head Smash/BB may not be as powerful as we once thought, for 140 attack with no boosts isn't super strong. Nonetheless, the sheer strength of its STABs and decent assortment of coverage cannot be understated, and I have my doubts on unbanning it, but multiple users have expressed interest and have questioned just how broken it is, which in my eyes, is enough to at least entertain the idea.

Thanks for your participation so far! We are very pleased with the interest in this mod so far. We hope you have fun, and remember to join Fighter Fairy Face-Off!

Edit: Just realized this after typing this, but 4 new Pokemon have been added to the Weebly!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Go read their entries and tell us what you think!
cancerfairy.weebly.com/#blacephalon
cancerfairy.weebly.com/#ampharos
cancerfairy.weebly.com/#silvally
cancerfairy.weebly.com/#passimian

Note: First two haven't been added, third is a modification of a pre-existing buff also not implemented, and the 4th is currently missing some moves on the server.

Last edited:
Xurk is a wallbreaker. 139 special attack and no offense-boosting ability isn't above-average for a wallbreaker. Common wallbreakers are 160/170 Hoopa-U or 100 attack Medicham-Mega with Huge Power.
Just like vanilla Manaphy, 139 SpA Xurk would need a free turn to set up before wallbreaking anything. Vanilla Manaphy has 100/100/100 and is already hard to use. Buffed Xurk has 97/71/71 (the "actually usableish defenses" are not actually useable).
The main issue with xurkitree before was that it had so much special attack its other stats wound up too mediocre to really matter. While hoopa and medicham hit like absolute trucks they also have respectable special soak and priority respectively. Xurkitree doesn’t have either of these. Yes have 170+ special attack is cool, but when that’s your only redeeming quality and you suffer from shit speed for ou and still die to everything. You aren’t going to do well. With 103 speed and a dual stab, xurkitree can actually outpace common threats such as garchomp and rotom wash, as well as hit considerably more things with a solid dual stab combo. If not better, it at least holds merit to being used over the likes of say tapu koko. Remember the meta isn’t meant to make every mon top tier. It’s meant to make every mon interesting, it’s meant to make the game fun.

I'm afraid you and I simply have a different sense of humour. I'm perfectly aware of the origins of the UBs; I do plenty of research into each and every mon before I make any changes. But here, I don't care what the UB's are "meant" to be: they are from an alien world so it makes sense to give them HA's that are unusual, discordant - just like their prime stats. We originally just rolled dice to select an HA, then chose ones which were kind of funny/crap. You'll run Beast Boost on most of them anyway.

Yes, and Xurk is terrible now because 139 SpA is absolute garbage, what was I thinking.
On a more serious note, Xurkitree was crap anyway. Being nothing other than a slow, frail wallbreaker is not an interesting design. Now I have some hit and misses, but this was just an attempt to make it more interesting, not better competitively. I'd consider replacing Unaware with something more fun though...
Kartana's ability contradicting its flavor doesn't make it more "alien", it makes it nonsensical. The UBs are alien, not "lol so randumb [insert laughing emoji here]". If they worked the way you thought they did, they would have much different environments - Nihilego's environment wouldn't be crystalline, Buzzwole's wouldn't have flexing trees, Pheromosa wouldn't have a pristine-yet-ominous environment, Xurkitree wouldn't live on a giant Xurkitree(-like plant), Kartana wouldn't live in a forest with people who speak in kendo terminology, Celesteela wouldn't live in what is basically a bunch of Celesteela-made craters, and Guzzlord wouldn't live in an environment where it would need its... flexible diet. In each Ultra Space, you can see how the environment led to the Beast - or the other way around, for Celesteela. Something being alien isn't a pass to do whatever you want, you need to keep in mind its internal logic.

Turning Xurkitree into another generic fast Electric isn't making it more interesting. With its old design, you needed to think about when you used it to avoid wasting it. Now it's boring, and you can just throw it anywhere and it'll be effective as ever - which isn't much, given that its on draw is lost, and you can just use a faster, more powerful sweeper. It's just Gengarchetype #50, it's no longer Xurkitree.

Kartana's ability contradicting its flavor doesn't make it more "alien", it makes it nonsensical. The UBs are alien, not "lol so randumb [insert laughing emoji here]". If they worked the way you thought they did, they would have much different environments - Nihilego's environment wouldn't be crystalline, Buzzwole's wouldn't have flexing trees, Pheromosa wouldn't have a pristine-yet-ominous environment, Xurkitree wouldn't live on a giant Xurkitree(-like plant), Kartana wouldn't live in a forest with people who speak in kendo terminology, Celesteela wouldn't live in what is basically a bunch of Celesteela-made craters, and Guzzlord wouldn't live in an environment where it would need its... flexible diet. In each Ultra Space, you can see how the environment led to the Beast - or the other way around, for Celesteela. Something being alien isn't a pass to do whatever you want, you need to keep in mind its internal logic.

Turning Xurkitree into another generic fast Electric isn't making it more interesting. With its old design, you needed to think about when you used it to avoid wasting it. Now it's boring, and you can just throw it anywhere and it'll be effective as ever - which isn't much, given that its on draw is lost, and you can just use a faster, more powerful sweeper. It's just Gengarchetype #50, it's no longer Xurkitree.
This is simply a divergence of opinion, so there's no point arguing over it. You need a bit of imagination though.I don't really care for inflexible logic in deciding what mons are "meant" to be, I'm all about twisting the lore and applying my own ideas. That's kind of the point of a Pet Mod.

(Besides, what's the logic of the prime number obsession with the UB's?)
As for Xurkitree, I appreciate your thoughts and you may be right. We're discussing how to improve it now - but its old design was pretty dull.

Last edited:

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
The main issue with xurkitree before was that it had so much special attack its other stats wound up too mediocre to really matter. While hoopa and medicham hit like absolute trucks they also have respectable special soak and priority respectively. Xurkitree doesn’t have either of these. Yes have 170+ special attack is cool, but when that’s your only redeeming quality and you suffer from shit speed for ou and still die to everything. You aren’t going to do well. With 103 speed and a dual stab, xurkitree can actually outpace common threats such as garchomp and rotom wash, as well as hit considerably more things with a solid dual stab combo. If not better, it at least holds merit to being used over the likes of say tapu koko. Remember the meta isn’t meant to make every mon top tier. It’s meant to make every mon interesting, it’s meant to make the game fun.
Xurk had Z-Hypnosis, allowing it to boost its Speed and giving it a free turn to set up Tail Glow. How was that not interesting? Very few Pokemon are able to pull off that set. Now with nerfed SpA, Z-Hypnosis set Xurk can outspeed Scarf Chomp or Scarf Rotom-W, but can it OHKO/2HKO as many things as before?

EDIT: Suggestion. Give Xurkitree Keen Eye as Hidden Ability. The vanilla version's biggest problem is inconsistence. With higher accuracy on Hypnosis and dual STABs, this new version would be more reliable than before even with nerfed SpA. It also probably fits the sense of humour of the creator, since Xurkitree has no eyes.
This is simply a divergence of opinion, so there's no point arguing over it. You need a bit of imagination though.I don't really care for inflexible logic in deciding what mons are "meant" to be, I'm all about twisting the lore and applying my own ideas. That's kind of the point of a Pet Mod.
Well it's your pet mod, so I agree you can apply whatever ideas you want, but you might want to change the "we buff stuff because it's thematically fitting" part in the OP then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok, I think that's enough for arguments on Xurkitree and our buff philosophy. The Discord community will be working diligently to improve it a bit. In the meantime, drop ideas for Xurk (without arguing about the current buff) and discuss Oranguru and Mega Aerodactyl. Thanks!

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Ok, I think that's enough for arguments on Xurkitree and our buff philosophy. The Discord community will be working diligently to improve it a bit. In the meantime, drop ideas for Xurk (without arguing about the current buff) and discuss Oranguru and Mega Aerodactyl. Thanks!
Dropped an idea for Xurk in my previous post.
About Oranguru, how about buff Instruct so, when used on a foe Pokemon, the Pokemon attacks itself with the move it used last?

Xurk had Z-Hypnosis, allowing it to boost its Speed and giving it a free turn to set up Tail Glow. How was that not interesting? Very few Pokemon are able to pull off that set. Now with nerfed SpA, Z-Hypnosis set Xurk can outspeed Scarf Chomp or Scarf Rotom-W, but can it OHKO/2HKO as many things as before?

EDIT: Suggestion. Give Xurkitree Keen Eye as Hidden Ability. The vanilla version's biggest problem is inconsistence. With higher accuracy on Hypnosis and dual STABs, this new version would be more reliable than before even with nerfed SpA. It also probably fits the sense of humour of the creator, since Xurkitree has no eyes.

Well it's your pet mod, so I agree you can apply whatever ideas you want, but you might want to change the "we buff stuff because it's thematically fitting" part in the OP then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What exactly is Xurkitree struggling to kill at +3 with 387 Sp. Atk? Blissey can't do anything back and AV Magearna is 2HKO'd after SR, just like vanilla. The main reason I cut Xurkitree's Sp. Atk was because Electric Terrain now allows it to hit Ground-types with its Electric STAB for resisted damage. It's very hard to stop.

EDIT: You also failed to consider that with the correct EVs it can boost its Speed with Beast Boost, giving a weaker but valuable alternative to the Z-Hypnosis set.

But ooh, Keen Eye. Sounds tasty. We'll think about it. As for "thematically fitting", it is entirely up to me what the "theme" is.

Dropped an idea for Xurk in my previous post.
About Oranguru, how about buff Instruct so, when used on a foe Pokemon, the Pokemon attacks itself with the move it used last?
That's actually a really cool idea for Instruct.

Last edited:

(Besides, what's the logic of the prime number obsession with the UB's?)
As for Xurkitree, I appreciate your thoughts and you may be right. We're discussing how to improve it now - but its old design was pretty dull.
If you want to show off your imagination, please either remember the source material's internal logic or make an original work. Seriously, that explanation reeks of "bad fanfic writer". inb4 "don't like, don't read"

The UBs just have a prime number theme. Prime Numbers, Otherwordliness, Beast Boost - those are what unify the Ultra Beasts. It's like saying the design of the main legendary trio of Pokemon X and Y being Norse mythology-themed doesn't make sense, and therefore internal logic doesn't apply.

You made Xurkitree more dull. It's just another fast Electric-type now, and a Gengarchetype at that. Like... I don't see how that makes it more interesting. Or how it could possibly be seen as making it more interesting. Or how you came to the conclusion that it would make it more interesting. There are two Gengarchetypes in the UBs (Blacephalon and Naganadel), and you even gave the same justification for Xurkitree's changes as Naganadel's function. Like... what?

thechurchofcage sorry if you wanted to say this I just wanted to point it out

So there’s a new change, although not on the weebly. Zen Mode has been changed. If Darmanitan has a Special Attack in its moveset (so if you run Psychic), it immediately transforms into Zen. I came up with it and yes it was approved .3.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave / Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock / Dream Eater
- Shadow Ball
HEY, let's make MMedi's counters even harder to switch into giving it the option to also have a ridiculously huge SpA with priority STAB on Vacuum Wave, what could possibly go wrong :D?!?!?!

If you want to show off your imagination, please either remember the source material's internal logic or make an original work. Seriously, that explanation reeks of "bad fanfic writer". inb4 "don't like, don't read"

The UBs just have a prime number theme. Prime Numbers, Otherwordliness, Beast Boost - those are what unify the Ultra Beasts. It's like saying the design of the main legendary trio of Pokemon X and Y being Norse mythology-themed doesn't make sense, and therefore internal logic doesn't apply.

You made Xurkitree more dull. It's just another fast Electric-type now, and a Gengarchetype at that. Like... I don't see how that makes it more interesting. Or how it could possibly be seen as making it more interesting. Or how you came to the conclusion that it would make it more interesting. There are two Gengarchetypes in the UBs (Blacephalon and Naganadel), and you even gave the same justification for Xurkitree's changes as Naganadel's function. Like... what?
I don't even know what to say to this. You just sound incredibly butthurt for some reason, and you clearly missed the points I was trying to make. If something seems like "bad fanfic" to you, or if you can't cope with the fact that the ideas behind this mod might be different to what you would have done, fine - don't play it, and stop wasting my time.

EDIT: I already conceded the point on Xurkitree, so you didn't have to undermine yourself by continuing to rant about it.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave / Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock / Dream Eater
- Shadow Ball
HEY, let's make MMedi's counters even harder to switch into giving it the option to also have a ridiculously huge SpA with priority STAB on Vacuum Wave, what could possibly go wrong :D?!?!?!
Try it, it's really not that problematic. Focus Miss isn't stronger than HJK and it has worse accuracy, Vacuum Wave isn't too bad with Lele everywhere, and it's still countered by Mega Sableye.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Here's some sample sets for the new shit added to the weebly, starting from lower tier mons and working our way up

Ampharos @ Electrium Z / Fightinium Z
Ability: Plus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Tier: PU

With the addition of Tail Glow, Ampharos has transformed into one of, if not the deadliest wallbreaker in PU. While its performance against offense is still lackluster, bulkier builds will have an extremely hard time taking it down. Whether it'll be broken in PU remains to be seen.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
- Swift
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Trick / Teleport
Tier: NU

Mr. Mime has definitely gotten a hugely improved defensive presence, with better bulk all-around and a better typing. It can still hit hard too, especially with Technician Swift and higher Special Attack and Speed. A Nasty Plot set could also be of interest.

Passimian @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant / Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Tier: NU

This is basically the PU band set but with Double-Edge over Gunk Shot. Submission could be run on a Rock Head set, but it often doesn't justify the huge loss in power over CC.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Agility
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
Tier: UU

While Ampharos will likely be run primarily as a balance breaker, a Double Dance set with Agility can be run to surprise offensive teams. Ampharos can get many set-up opportunities by virtue of its awesome type and good bulk.

Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown / Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Energy Ball
Tier: OU

Blacephalon's standard Specs set but with a few upgrades. Seeing as Mind Blown is now a good move, it can be run over Fire Blast for sustain and accuracy at the slight expense of some power. Energy Ball is great for hitting Tyranitar and Water types such as Mega Swampert and Alomomola. Toxapex's huge loss in special bulk really helps it out, as it no longer needs to waste a slot on otherwise useless Psychic coverage.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Claw
- Head Smash
- Iron Head
Tier: OU

Physical Blacephalon is a fun option to lure in special walls like Chansey, Mantine and Cresselia. Beast Boost could be a secondary option over Rock Head, but it then makes Head Smash much less reliable. Iron Head is for hitting Tyranitar.

Oh Christ... Well, seeing as this Pokemon can do just about anything really well, I'm gonna have to save its sets for a separate post.

Reactions: pqs
Well I guess I'll share one of my favorites for Silvally
Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Hyper Beam
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Claw
Basically a dragon dance sweeper, possibly run outrage for power if needed, just beware of the defense drops before setting up.

Also, maybe something that could be a cool change, what if the genie trio (Landorus, Thundurus and Tornadus) had larger differences between their two forms? The therian forms are supposed to be a reflection of their true self so simply moving around some offensive stats and giving them a new ability doesn't seem like enough for that. One thing I could see is giving all of them a hidden ability based on their characteristics, like maybe Thundurus-t getting drizzle as an HA (they're literally called forces of nature, why can they not do this already?) or giving Landorus harvest (he's called the abundance pokemon and is stated t bring great harvests.) Also, can we give Tornadus-T brave birb and wing attack? He's literally a giant bird and deserves to be treated like one.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Well I guess I'll share one of my favorites for Silvally
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Hyper Beam
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Claw
Basically a dragon dance sweeper, possibly run outrage for power if needed, just beware of the defense drops before setting up.

Also, maybe something that could be a cool change, what if the genie trio (Landorus, Thundurus and Tornadus) had larger differences between their two forms? The therian forms are supposed to be a reflection of their true self so simply moving around some offensive stats and giving them a new ability doesn't seem like enough for that. One thing I could see is giving all of them a hidden ability based on their characteristics, like maybe Thundurus-t getting drizzle as an HA (they're literally called forces of nature, why can they not do this already?) or giving Landorus harvest (he's called the abundance pokemon and is stated t bring great harvests.) Also, can we give Tornadus-T brave birb and wing attack? He's literally a giant bird and deserves to be treated like one.
I like Silvally-Dragon too, it's prolly my second favorite CFM Silvally form. On the DDance set, I would recommend Fire Fang or Earthquake over Hyper Beam, as otherwise, it is completely walled by Steel types. Now, for my personal favorite Silvally form...

Silvally-Bug @ Bug Memory
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Signal Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

What else is there to say? Tail Glow is just a really fun move.
+4 252 SpA Silvally-Bug Signal Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 351-414 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

And as for your genie suggestion, we currently have no plans to change the genie trio. We did give Landorus Air Slash and Mega Punch (exclusive to Incarnate).

Edit: Here's another fun Silvally-Dragon set, offensive pivot:

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Parting Shot

Last edited:
Reactions: pqs

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Hey there! Due to not being able to test this TR team with anyone due to annoying shit happenning, i would like to see some suggestions for improving it: https://pokepast.es/48118b08983ccb28
-I would recommend Colbur Berry over Mental Herb on Cress
-Shadow Ball is redundant on Spiritomb when you got PoA Fire Blast, replace that with Dark Pulse and replace HP Fighting with Ice Beam or something

other than that, cool team

-I would recommend Colbur Berry over Mental Herb on Cress
-Shadow Ball is redundant on Spiritomb when you got PoA Fire Blast, replace that with Dark Pulse and replace HP Fighting with Ice Beam or something

other than that, cool team
I thought that Spiritomb got Fire/Ghost typing with Power of Alchemy lul and Mental Herb on Cresselia is used for not being completely Taunt bait. HP Fighting on Spiritomb is used for bypass Ttar and other Rock mons. Anyways, here's the improved version: https://pokepast.es/c0618a78bd328e90

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)