Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

How do I get latios? I've looked on youtube googled guides and everything it says to get the national pokedex (which I have) then go to the vermillion fan club and do the copycat girl quest thing. I cannot do it and when I left the fan club the dude didn't show up... what's going on?
You need to get the Power Plant working again (stop by it, find out that a machine part was stolen, run into the Rocket Grunt who stole it in Cerulean City, beat him, find the part in the Gym, and return it). Once you do that, then you can talk to Copycat, and the Pokemon Fanclub President, and Steven should show up.

Question on Evolution

Hey so im trying to catch a glameow/purugly in my pearl version, and there's this one route next to sunnyshore where glameows are actually fairly common.
while i DO want to catch a purugly, they appear less frequently and i just had a question:

if i catch a glameow level 40 (as opposed to a glameow that would normally evolve on lvl 38) does that mean that it will be weaker when it evolves than a normal glameow that evolved level 38?
or is it possible that when it evolves it would catch up a couple stat points it missed??

--thanks so much :)

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey so im trying to catch a glameow/purugly in my pearl version, and there's this one route next to sunnyshore where glameows are actually fairly common.
while i DO want to catch a purugly, they appear less frequently and i just had a question:

if i catch a glameow level 40 (as opposed to a glameow that would normally evolve on lvl 38) does that mean that it will be weaker when it evolves than a normal glameow that evolved level 38?
or is it possible that when it evolves it would catch up a couple stat points it missed??

--thanks so much :)
It would be weaker by a tiny bit before level 100, but at level 100, it would be the same.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I would have thought that the stats would be the same from the beginning, because IIRC they are recalculated on level up/evolution.

this 1 girl i dueled says my pokemon are hacked and she gave me this calc thingy to prove i dont understand though

electivire shiny (female) lv. 100

adamant nature day care received egg

hp 354 atk 379 def 191 sp atk 203 sp def 227 speed 289

motor drive

ninjask shiny (male) lv. 100

jolly nature eterna forest met lv. 10

hp 296 attack 269 def 126 sp. atk 112 sp. def 114 speed . 429

shedinja (no gender) lv. 100

adamant nature

hoenn arrived at lv. 100

hp 1 atk 306 def 124 sp atk 83 sp def 73 speed 178

wonder guard

can someone plz tell which are hacked if any?? thanks ( igot all 3 in trades)

Actually that's false, the stats on Smogon assume 31 IV even in the minus nature section, so its possible to have an 83 special defense on Shedinja (lowest is 58) and that Special Attack on Ninjask. It's impossible to tell whether they're hacked or not based on stats alone though (they could be hacked with fine stats and we wouldn't be able to tell the difference). It's very difficult to tell if the stats are legit based on raw stats (and again, legit stats =/= legit pokemon). The best way to tell if they have illegitimate stats though (which is appears your friend is accusing you of) is to try and upload a battle using them on the Vs. Recorder.

Oh, yeah, you're right, i forgot the IV's. I'm going to go with Veedrock and say i suspect hacks, but i can't confirm. Sorry. Subtracting 31 from the lowest score means that all the stats of your pokemon are within reason, so i don't know if they're hacked.

Now for my question: I need a ground type to counter the electric weakness of my team, specifically against Starmie, who conveniently also acts to remove my rocks all the time. My team is based on Baton Passing. Gliscor i considered for a while for Swords Dance passing, but his water weakness bugs me (i'd have to switch to Vaporeon each time to Water Absorb). Are there any other good Baton Passers who are ground type, yet reasonably good checks to Starmie? I ask because i used to use a Garchomp as my receiver so it didn't really matter much, but since he's now out of he question, i need a replacement.

EDIT: Hmm, is HP Electric Vaporeon a good idea for the above situation?

Treadshot, Ground-types (other than Water/Grounds) really won't like Starmie, due to their generally poor Special Defense (plus Ground is weak to Water AND Ice, so even with a resistant secondary typing, you're still taking a STAB hit from Starmie's Surf). No Water/Grounds learn Baton Pass, so unfortunately, if you insist on everything on your team having Baton Pass, Vaporeon's about the best you're going to do. But unless you've set up a few Calm Minds or something, Starmie's probably going to 2HKO Vaporeon with Thunderbolt (guaranteed with Life Orb), while Vaporeon only has a decent shot at a 2HKO with HP Electric (although you can guarantee it with Stealth Rock damage or some Special Attack EVs). You're fairly screwed in that matchup unless you predict Starmie's switch-in, because obviously, Starmie outspeeds Vaporeon (barring a bunch of Baton Passed Agilities on your side).

Hey guys, I'm wondering, since we're apparently going to implement and allow the acidweather glitch on shoddy 2, is the same going to happen to rage+transform glitch (e.g. any pokemon with mimic can have pretty much whatever moveset it desires + one 'normal' move)?
It's pretty much claused out. The situation is not "not acknowledge the glitch", but rather "ban Pokémon with movesets created via the glitch", just like, say, Double Team is banned, or Kyogre is banned in OU. The glitch is just too unbalancing for the metagame.
can someone plz tell which are hacked if any?? thanks ( igot all 3 in trades)
It's hard to tell just from the stats; the fact that both EVs and IVs are clearly involved makes it very hard to measure. What are the stats of those Pokémon after you feed them 11 (or as many as possible) of each EV-reducing berry (Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, and Tamato)? (You can just reset after feeding the berries in order to avoid losing the berries and stats.)

Okay so I want to trade this IVs: 31/30/30/31/31/31 Timid Shaymin,
but when I try to add these stats to my Shaymin on Shoddy, it says that
the IV combo / nature is invalid. Does this mean that the Timid shaymin
that I want to trade is hacked, since the IV-nature combo is invalid???

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay so I want to trade this IVs: 31/30/30/31/31/31 Timid Shaymin,
but when I try to add these stats to my Shaymin on Shoddy, it says that
the IV combo / nature is invalid. Does this mean that the Timid shaymin
that I want to trade is hacked, since the IV-nature combo is invalid???
Not always. For example, on Shoddy Battle, Ho-Oh can only have 31/31/31/7/31/31 with an Adamant nature, but in game, it's possible for you to have 7, 17, 23, or 24 SpA IVs. This is because Shoddy Battle calculates the IV restrictions differently from in-game.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I would have thought that the stats would be the same from the beginning, because IIRC they are recalculated on level up/evolution.
I was always under the impression from that, as the games say, (paraphrasing) "A pokemon you level up will be stronger than one you catch at a higher level." I don't know for sure but for that, which seems to be in every game. So I could be wrong.

I was always under the impression from that, as the games say, (paraphrasing) "A pokemon you level up will be stronger than one you catch at a higher level." I don't know for sure but for that, which seems to be in every game. So I could be wrong.
That's just a subtle hint about Effort Values (or Stat Experience, in the first two generations). In only two levels, you wouldn't have gotten too many EVs yet, so any difference there is would be balanced out pretty quickly.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Where is the list of how to reliably advance the frame in HGSS? And are there any videos on how to RNG the wondercard Jirachi?

HERE. Plus, a pro-tip, go to Cerulean City's PokeMart. There are ZERO moving NPCs in there!!! :3

And Cosmicexplorer, sorry, but you are wrong. The level at which you evolve a pokemon plays absolutely no role whatsoever in it's stats.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
HERE. Plus, a pro-tip, go to Cerulean City's PokeMart. There are ZERO moving NPCs in there!!! :3

And Cosmicexplorer, sorry, but you are wrong. The level at which you evolve a pokemon plays absolutely no role whatsoever in it's stats.
I meant that, like Naxte said, that for a small interval, the stats would be sightly lower. Naxte pointed out that that was because of EVs. Once the EVs are the same, the stats would be too, but if the pokemon is caught at a higher level, the same pokemon at a lower level and trained to that higher level would have slightly higher stats because of the difference in EVs.

Do roaming legendaries respawn every time you beat the E4, or only the first time you beat them? And can you influence their natures with Synchronize the first time you encounter them, or are their natures rolled and fixed when Lance is beaten?

Hey, uhh...Gravity isn't on the list of moves for Fortress or Starmie (I actually on care about the latter) in Team Builder on Shoddy Battle.

Answered, thanks!

Hey, uhh...Gravity isn't on the list of moves for Fortress or Starmie (I actually on care about the latter) in Team Builder on Shoddy Battle.
Make sure your team was built on the official Smogon server. The HGSS move updates are applied there for sure.

Otherwise, make a new team using that server.

Treadshot, Ground-types (other than Water/Grounds) really won't like Starmie, due to their generally poor Special Defense (plus Ground is weak to Water AND Ice, so even with a resistant secondary typing, you're still taking a STAB hit from Starmie's Surf). No Water/Grounds learn Baton Pass, so unfortunately, if you insist on everything on your team having Baton Pass, Vaporeon's about the best you're going to do. But unless you've set up a few Calm Minds or something, Starmie's probably going to 2HKO Vaporeon with Thunderbolt (guaranteed with Life Orb), while Vaporeon only has a decent shot at a 2HKO with HP Electric (although you can guarantee it with Stealth Rock damage or some Special Attack EVs). You're fairly screwed in that matchup unless you predict Starmie's switch-in, because obviously, Starmie outspeeds Vaporeon (barring a bunch of Baton Passed Agilities on your side).
Damn. My whole team is much more biased to the physical side, Swords Dance passing to Lucario is the main goal. I don't run any Special boosting moves at all, a Specially based Zapdos is the closest i have in that regard. I'm not really too worried with the speed issues, because i have a Protect SashJask, so gathering Speed Boosts is usually easy. Oh well, i'll have to just stick with the old plan: Lucario's Crunch. Thanks anyways.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Do roaming legendaries respawn every time you beat the E4, or only the first time you beat them? And can you influence their natures with Synchronize the first time you encounter them, or are their natures rolled and fixed when Lance is beaten?
In HGSS, every time you defeat the E4, any wandering and stationary Pokemon (like the Red Gyarados) that haven't been caught, but have been KO'd, will respawn.

This means if you KO'd Raikou, captured Entei, and Latias is wandering around, when you defeat the Elite Four Raikou will respawn with a new set of IVs and Nature. Latias however will keep its existing IVs and nature (as its IVs and Nature were already determined when it first spawned). Entei will not respawn, since it was already captured.

The Wandering Legendaries cannot be influenced in any way short of RNGing.

Not always. For example, on Shoddy Battle, Ho-Oh can only have 31/31/31/7/31/31 with an Adamant nature, but in game, it's possible for you to have 7, 17, 23, or 24 SpA IVs. This is because Shoddy Battle calculates the IV restrictions differently from in-game.
Where are you getting this information? I'm very interested in this...

What ribbons can be obtained within just HeartGold or SoulSilver? So far I have the following. Am I missing anything?

- Effort Ribbon (max EVs)

Battle Tower:
- Ability Ribbon (Palmer 21)
- Great Ability (Palmer 49)
- Double Ability Ribbon (Double)
- Multi Ability Ribbon (Multi w/CPU)
- Pair Ability Ribbon (Multi w/Friend)
- World Ability Ribbon (Wi-Fi)

Daily:
- Alert Ribbon
- Shock Ribbon
- Downcast Ribbon
- Careless Ribbon
- Relax Ribbon
- Snooze Ribbon
- Smile Ribbon

- Legend Ribbon (defeat Red)

Where are you getting this information? I'm very interested in this...
Not sure where you could find definitive info on how Shoddy IVs work, but I can verify that Adamant 31/31/31/24/31/31 is possible in-game, because I have that very spread on my Ho-Oh. :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)