April 7* Raid: Samurott (Tera Bug)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Used the Blaze Breed Tauros strat - worked like a charm. Even though I forgot to change the Tera type to Fire lol.

Samurott + Ability Patch + Bottle Cap = my lucky day

I have to credit this raid for proving once again that there's no reason to have faith in humanity in this game.

The amount of Water weak pokemon i've seen brought is just amazing.
Also shoutout to this random Azumarill who
1) started with Superpower (?)
2) after the Walking Wake sets sun, swapped to Liquidation (??)
3) after 3 turns decided to tera fairy then Superpower again (???)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have to credit this raid for proving once again that there's no reason to have faith in humanity in this game.

The amount of Water weak pokemon i've seen brought is just amazing.
Also shoutout to this random Azumarill who
1) started with Superpower (?)
2) after the Walking Wake sets sun, swapped to Liquidation (??)
3) after 3 turns decided to tera fairy then Superpower again (???)
Definitely trolling, quality work by him.

Easily Solo'd

Tauros Aqua Breed
Ability: Anger Point
Item: Shell Bell
Tera Water
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Def
-Liquidation
-Bulk Up
-Chilling Water
-Bull Doze edit: Trailblaze is better

Bull Doze to even the speed, Chilling Water to continue charging unless Anger Point goes off, Liquidation opportunistically. The cool thing about using this was not caring about when wipe, or when to boost, or any of that-- just attack, and attack, and keep attacking to debuff/charge and eventually get the Anger Point buff to smash through the early Shield. After the 2nd Wipe I did Bulk Up once, but once Anger Point goes off after the 2nd Wipe, even if he crits against Tera Water he can't OHKO, and from there Liquidation is getting back SO much health. Liquidation's Def buffs also awesome.

War Story: My first run I pulled ridiculous support team though-- Staraptor, Arboliva, & Dudunsparce. When I saw Dudunsparce I didn't even bother with turn 1 Bull Doze because I knew I'd get Glare support. So I chilling Water'd as he crit me with Bull Doze! lol Turn 2 +6 Liquidation took nice chip and heal'd everything. From there he went into shield, but Turn 3 Bull Doze from me actually did enough damage THROUGH Arboliva's Grass Terrain to get the 3rd Charge-- I Terra'd and bulled through from there.
He [unfortunately] didn't Crit even once while shield up, but I got enough Def Drops with Liquidation to break through anyway. Once the shield dropped, he wiped, I Bulked Up'd and he crit me with Mega Horn-- which HURT because I wasn't fighting type anymore, but after that +6 Liquidation just kept me at more health than he could muster over, and Liquidation stampede finished him off. Got 2 Ability Patches on the first go to boot! wooooohhhh~~

edit:

Also, ironically, I think Samurott is going to be pretty good for the Samurott Raid! lol
Because of Shell Armor.

Samurott
Ability: Shell Armor
Naughty 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SPE <-to outrun
Tera Type: Water
Item: Shell Bell
-Swords Dance
-Liquidation
-Chilling Water
-Bull Doze
took me two attempts for the solo, but this is a great set for a fun battle! Thanks man!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You’d need Samurott to be at -6 SpDef for you to be at OHKO range. Ideally, you’d have 3 Pokémon using Acid Spray or Metal Sound on the same turn you get your Weakness Policy proc’d. Even then, it’s not 100% a guaranteed kill but the roll is well in your favor. Guaranteed with an Attack cheer or Helping Hand.

+2 252+ SpA Solar Power Charizard Blast Burn vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Bug Samurott in Sun: 11438-13458 (3455.5 - 4065.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Really puts into perspective how stupidly strong Miraidon is lol

I know we're still Samurott time and almost a month from the next one, and who knows for sure which one that will be, but I wonder what Typhlosion will be like

Typhlosion is kind of just ..eh.
It has a lot of physical moves but itsAttack stat isn't great. Is it just going to spam Curse?
It's got Flash Fire, do they make it Grass so it can do Sunny Day/Solar Beam?
Rock type and have it do Defense Curl/Rollout?
Smokescreen to be annoying?

Really puts into perspective how stupidly strong Miraidon is lol
Every time I saw a Koraidon in raids I just mumbled to myself that I wish it was fire/dragon instead of fighting/dragon, even if thematically it works better as the later.

Speaking of Koraidon, good Arceus is it a 70/30 whether it’ll be a noob or a competent player. The amount of Collision Course spam that I see against a BUG TYPE is unreal. Feels like I’m playing with AIs that just have the Koraidon you initially catch.

First match trying out support Quagsire, and I get matched with 3 Corviknights (one a tera steel shiny) spamming brave bird. :psygrump:

Second match was successful, was matched with Hawlucha, Iron Hands, and Miraidon. Here’s my quagsire:
:quagsire: @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Mud-Slap
- Recover
- Tail Whip
Samurott only ever tried Megahorn against me, which was great because of its lower accuracy. Started off with 3 Mud-Slaps, after seeing the Hawlucha use Feather Dance, which pretty much ensured the Samurott was unable to touch me or my teammates most of the battle. Iron Hands got lucky burns with Fire Punch, both before and after the shield. After the initial mud slapping, I used Tail Whip until its shield went up, after which I spammed Chilling Water until it was -6, then some more Mud-Slaps and an Attack Cheer for good measure. Samurott using Swords Dance brought it up to -4 lol, and it did the self-wipe the turn after, so I went back to Chilling Water and Mud-Slap. The Hawlucha started using Brave Bird at around 1/3rd of the Samurott's HP, which somehow didn't kill itself but was doing good chunks of damage. I used Heal Cheers to keep it alive. Eventually Samurott went down, without any of us getting knocked out. It did get one crit on me which hurt, but I was able to Recover and managed to avoid almost every other Megahorn, except for another weak noncrit near the end.

Hawlucha was tera flying, running Shell Bell with Fly/Feather Dance/Swords Dance/Brave Bird. Unfortunately I wasn't paying enough attention to the other teammates, though I saw Swords Dance + Fire Punch on the Iron Hands (thank Arceus no Belly Drum) and Metal Sound + Parabolic Charge on the Miraidon.

I think my Tail Whip could have been switched out with Acid Spray, though the Def drops seemed to at least help the Hawlucha and Iron Hands in my case.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I am somewhat confident the gimmick willbe istant shield + eruption spam with flash fire and grass tera. High chance of sunny day + solar beam or tera blast
I think the only possible Tera types are Grass (STAB Solar Beam, Tera Blast if they don't want Sunny Day fsr), Rock (Rollout + Defense Curl spam and deals with Fire-types trying to resist Fire- and Grass-type moves), and Fairy (smacks Dragon-types but leaves it walled by any Fire-type).

As for the current raid, I went with Annihilape and it was my easiest and most successful try by far:

Annihilape @ Shell Bell
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Screech
- Rage Fist

Literally did not have to use any other moves. I got lucky enough to find this in a raid a few months ago, so it is 31 IVs in everything except Sp Def. Spam Screech 2 or 3 times, click Rage Fist, win. Not a OHKO or anything but it's extremely consistent and allows for easy farming. I considered Bulk Up, but it's not needed at all in my experience.

Has anyone found themself recognising specific username/pfp combos in raid lobbies? I locked in for a raid and had a guy called Kraken with a Clodsire pfp join last minute with a Tera Electric Talonflame that lost us the raid on its own. About twenty minutes later the same guy joined another raid I was in with a Blaze Breed Tauros ("oh cool, he's learned his lesson maybe?") which proceeded to spam Flamethrower and faint repeatedly. It appeared to be underlevelled and it also turned out to be Tera Dragon (lol). Luckily the rest of the group was very well organised and we still won, but I almost didn't want to because Kraken didn't deserve it!!

Has anyone found themself recognising specific username/pfp combos in raid lobbies? I locked in for a raid and had a guy called Kraken with a Clodsire pfp join last minute with a Tera Electric Talonflame that lost us the raid on its own. About twenty minutes later the same guy joined another raid I was in with a Blaze Breed Tauros ("oh cool, he's learned his lesson maybe?") which proceeded to spam Flamethrower and faint repeatedly. It appeared to be underlevelled and it also turned out to be Tera Dragon (lol). Luckily the rest of the group was very well organised and we still won, but I almost didn't want to because Kraken didn't deserve it!!
Didn't happen to me personally but I don't tecnically see as impossible. Maybe it was indeed a regular kid who was spamming the raid trying to get it and just so happened you got matched with him twice.

But hey, like the lvl85 miraidon in my raid, another kid carried successfully to victory :|

As for the current raid, I went with Annihilape and it was my easiest and most successful try by far:

Annihilape @ Shell Bell
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Ghost
Adamant Nature
- Screech
- Rage Fist

Literally did not have to use any other moves. I got lucky enough to find this in a raid a few months ago, so it is 31 IVs in everything except Sp Def. Spam Screech 2 or 3 times, click Rage Fist, win. Not a OHKO or anything but it's extremely consistent and allows for easy farming. I considered Bulk Up, but it's not needed at all in my experience.
I wanted to try this with a less optimized Annihilape (a competitive one I had already raised) that was tera steel with Vital Spirit and a Jolly nature. It was still incredibly easy, so I think this really is the smoothest way to solo the raid. I brought Bulk Up but I didn't have to boost at all. After using Screech three times, it never cleared its debuffs, so Rage Fist drained its health pretty quickly

Koraidon @ Heat Rock
Ability: Orichalcum Pulse
Adamant Nature
- Screech
- Swords Dance
- Mud-Slap
- Fire Fang

This is an offensive support Koraidon set I’m having success with online. Screech and Mud Slap help the team, while SD + Sun + Screech-boosted Fire Fangs hit like a truck. Heat Rock lets my sun last longer so I can have extra time to set up SD after getting a few Mud Slaps in.

why the everlasting fuck does this sandwich eating dragon dog learn drain punch but not fire punch

Last edited:
After getting no luck online, I decided to do the raid on my own. At first, I tried out Tera Flying Gyarados which did somewhat okay but with no recovery, it was difficult to get close to winning. So, I went for Dragon Dance Tera Flying Dragonite which worked much better as it had Roost. And I managed to win on my second Dragonite attempt but did get a bit lucky with my AI partners since one of them had Intimidate Tauros, which could soften Samurott's moves boosted by Swords Dance.

I'm running Aqua Tauros now too, but I'm using Tera Flying!
Won solo with this:

:tauros-paldea-aqua:
Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Shell Bell
Ability: Anger Point
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Whip
- Liquidation
- Tera Blast
- Bulk Up

Of course EVs and nature can be more defensive for more safety, I just picked a Tauros I had already trained.
Start with 1/2 Tail Whips, wait for Anger Point to get triggered, go with Liquidation, once the barrier is up Terastalize and go with Tera Blast.
Bulk Up helps to withstand non-critical hits and provides Attack boosts while waiting for Anger Point (e.g. in the ability negation turn).

So I didn't get to play Day 1 due to Working Late.

What is general consensus on the Pokemon with the best Solo Success Rate? Ideally also the easiest option among them for a Scarlet Player to quickly throw together if I want to Solo mine this weekend and get back to Splatfest (Farming next weekend if at all)?

What is general consensus on the Pokemon with the best Solo Success Rate? Ideally also the easiest option among them for a Scarlet Player to quickly throw together if I want to Solo mine this weekend and get back to Splatfest (Farming next weekend if at all)?
Paldean tauros (both aqua and blaze formes) can comfortably solo, otherwise koraidon can be pretty strong online

I imagine Tauros Paldea, both forms

Aqua Breed has great survivability owed to its typing which resists most everything Samurott throws at it. Reliant on Tera [Tera Flying Tera Blast] to get the job done though since it kinda has no way to hit it super effectively innately but otherwise very good [and ofc you run Anger Point on both of them lol]

Blaze Breed on the other hand is weak to Samurott's Aqua Cutter [and Bulldoze lol] but outside of that it can innately hit Samurott super effectively thanks to Fire STAB. Tera Fire STAB and you get the job done quickly. I imagine not as good as Aqua Breed since Samurott has more ways to hit you for good damage.

...and then right as I post it I forget Worldie posts the same thing as me... so oops I suppose

Paldean tauros (both aqua and blaze formes) can comfortably solo, otherwise koraidon can be pretty strong online
Any partners needed like how Decidueye wanted Intimidates or Pikachu wanted Arboliva's Terrain? I imagine Intimidate can help but will they be necessary?

Any partners needed like how Decidueye wanted Intimidates or Pikachu wanted Arboliva's Terrain? I imagine Intimidate can help but will they be necessary?
Intimidate is "cool but not necessary". Ultimately you'll be mostly eating crits.

Anything that can burn it is on the line of "nice"

This is the easiest 7* raid since Greninja, my Blaze breed Tauros can comfortably solo no problem. Breath of fresh air as Decidueye was maddening for me - didn’t have Miraidon. Caught one, but far too much effort to farm stuff from the raid. This time though, I now have 99 Proteins

By the way, for all you that are picking Blaze Tauros I recommend using Will O Wisp immediately after you break the shield. Do note, however, depending on who your allies are it won't always be successful. Trust me, I had some battles where one of my allies, whether it be Toxapex or Bellibolt, inflict a status on him, sometimes on the very turn I click Will O Wisp.

I've mostly been joining random raids with this support Gardevoir set, and had a few dozen successes with it to max out on tera shards:

:xy/gardevoir:
Gardevoir @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Trace
Bold Nature, HP/Def
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heal Pulse
- Charm
- Helping Hand

There's one important caveat of timing you should be aware of if you use this set. At the start of battle, when everyone gets sent out and the ability popups happen, you see your own ability popup with a standard duration, but most other ability popups appear and disappear more quickly. So I'll see the popup for Trace, then for Shell Armor, and the text message about tracing the ability, all with their normal duration, and then Samurott will use Focus Energy after it's all done. But everyone else will see the popups go away in just a second or so, and they'll see the Focus Energy animation start, and finish, sooner than it does for me. This means that if one of the teammates is dead-set on rushing to get the first move in as fast as possible, they are sure to be able to do so faster than I can possibly use Will-O-Wisp, and if Samurott's first retaliation against that player (plus the possible Bulldoze if move 1 was a damaging move) ends up immediately KOing them before I can put the burn in place, the timer drain will see to it that the shield comes out immediately, and Will-O-Wisp will then fail. Any time that happens, it doesn't bode well for the success of the raid. Even with other players also using entrance abilities (Koraidon, Gyarados, sometimes Corviknight), the fact that Trace's mechanics go through 2 popups instead of 1 means the shortening of the Trace ability popups has a bigger effect on them than their popups do for me, and I'll still get held back from the move menu later than anyone else, if they're not patient.

All of Samurott's moves are 100% criticals except Bulldoze and Megahorn, unless we have one of the abilities that blocks them (big thanks to Samurott for bringing one of those abilities itself, so it can be traced off!) For everyone else who likely didn't bring those abilities, it's awkward because attack drops and screens won't do any damage reduction whatsoever against criticals. If a supporter is going to provide any form of damage reduction for the others, the ways we have of doing this are very limited, and mainly consist of burn, and blue cheers. Even criticals still have to respect the effects of those, hopefully keeping the team alive longer so the timer doesn't drain quite so fast. Once the Swords Dance is up, Charm can also cancel that out to go back to +0, but any reductions into the negatives are only likely to affect the damage for me.

With the burn in place, Megahorn (the only move Samurott will want to pick) does less than 25%, and a blue cheer knocks that down further, enough that my own health isn't an immediate concern and I can figure out the most effective thing to do with the partners I have. Sometimes WOW misses, of course, but there's a bit of a saving grace here in that if everyone else is going for a setup nuke with moves like Screech (and yes, you'll even see some Belly Drums in these raids because of course you will), missing WOW means there's no burn damage. If there's also no damage from anyone else, that means Bulldoze doesn't come out yet and I get another shot fairly quickly, without having to wait through that long animation with all the sequential stat drop messages.

Once the shield goes up, if there's not a blue cheer up yet, obviously getting that is the first priority. Otherwise it's a case of looking around and seeing who needs Helping Hand or Heal Pulse the most--if the damage is spread out all around, it'll have to be a green cheer instead, but Heal Pulse is preferred where possible due to the lack of randomness, and larger supply. To that end, Covert Cloak as the item accomplishes very little, but preventing the stat drop from Bulldoze has the effect that all Heal Pulses (and after the shield is gone, reapplying burns) outspeed Samurott's moves, just as cheers always do, so if things get really awkward I can at least take a sack and still get off one last move beforehand.

Other niche mechanics I can do...if Ceruledge shows up to a raid, that's probably not ideal, but once I have the light cover in place so it's not being shot down so easily, I'll typically throw a Will-O-Wisp their way, to turn on Flash Fire. This is effectively a permanent Helping Hand for the rest of the battle, giving them more damage (and therefore more recovery) with the Bitter Blade spam which is presumably why they brought that pick in the first place. Hopefully that makes their slot lower maintenance so I get some time to check on the other two. For a while, I used to run Skill Swap instead of Charm, with the idea being that I could donate the traced Shell Armor to an ally who could really use it, then steal the original from the boss itself. But things rarely went smoothly enough that there was time for three moves pre-shield, and being stranded without critical immunity when the shield is up defeats the point of the set. It was also possible to do cheeky stuff like repeatedly swap Intimidate to get stat drops that worked even through the shield, but this was not only reliant on having an Intimidate partner, it also used up several turns where one or the other of us lacked immunity, so the stat drops weren't all that useful anyway (see above).

There are a few other supporters I can see make use of the "steal boss's ability" function. Stantler is an intriguing one that gets both Role Play and Skill Swap, which seems redundant but there's a niche for running both moves at once. You can Role Play to steal Shell Armor without giving back an Intimidate that your physical-attacking teammates (other than Defiant Annihilape) might not like, then Skill Swap with a teammate and Role Play an extra copy of the ability back from them, instead of from the boss (which would fail if it's shield time already). In this manner, you can even extend the critical immunity to multiple teammates if you want, though it's impossible to swap with stuff like Koraidon or Iron Hands, and you don't want to overwrite Anger Point until you're sure there are no more poz-wipes coming (and by then your teammate should be in striking range of the finishing blow anyway). Stantler can also use Sand Attack, which isn't as good as Mud-Slap but...hey, that's another way that it's possible to protect your teammates, get them to fish for misses every turn. And oh yeah, Stantler gets to take advantage of Eviolite too, so it shrugs off pretty much everything. Polteageist lets you swap to take Shell Armor and give back a much Weaker kind of Armor, so the boss can perpetuate its own defense drops thereafter. However, giving them speed boosts at the same time might not be such a good idea, because if your teammates suddenly start getting outsped and KO'd before they can move at all, that's just going to bleed clock. Being even more physically frail than Gardevoir, with an outright weakness to Night Slash, isn't great either, even if you can heal back with Strength Sap and get some stat drops at the same time (which, again, only really make a difference for you, not the teammates). Having to use the first turn to steal the critical immunity, instead of getting it for free with Trace, is such a big cost.

I’ve been lurking for over 10 years only joining now but hi

I solo’d this raid pretty easily with Miraidon of all things. Usually can’t be bothered with building a single Pokémon meant to counter a specific 7* raid but was surprisingly easy with support from an NPC with Intimidate Staraptor.

Miraidon @ Magnet
Ability: Hadron Engine
Modest, 252 SpA/252 SP
- Electro Drift
- Dragon Pulse
- Metal Sound
- Parabolic Charge

basically Metal Sound turn 1 and whenever the opportunity presents, Parabolic Charge as needed. It mostly used Megahorn but won’t KO without Swords Dance up and the occasional miss only helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)