April 7* Raid: Samurott (Tera Bug)

Watching Hoodlum Callum's raids, his group seems to have worked out a strategy that seems pretty consistent, even solo:

Blaze Breed Tauros @ Shell Bell
Ability: Anger Point
Adamant/Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
Fire Tera

Tail Whip
Sunny Day
Raging Bull

1. Tail whip until KO'd
2. Sunny Day
3. Raging Bull spam (tera when ready)
4. Profit

Callum is currently in a state where he keeps getting the same raid partners of Arcanine, regular Tauros, and Arboliva; not sure how much they help but the others on the call are claiming it to be consistent, presumably with other raid partners.

I'll probably train up a Tauros and try this later, and then grumble when it turns out to be not nearly as consistent for me :P

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Easily Solo'd

Tauros Aqua Breed
Item: Shell Bell
Tera Water
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Def
-Liquidation
-Bulk Up
-Chilling Water
-Bull Doze edit: Trailblaze is better

Bull Doze to even the speed, Chilling Water to continue charging unless Anger Point goes off, Liquidation opportunistically. The cool thing about using this was not caring about when wipe, or when to boost, or any of that-- just attack, and attack, and keep attacking to debuff/charge and eventually get the Anger Point buff to smash through the early Shield. After the 2nd Wipe I did Bulk Up once, but once Anger Point goes off after the 2nd Wipe, even if he crits against Tera Water he can't OHKO, and from there Liquidation is getting back SO much health. Liquidation's Def buffs also awesome.

War Story: My first run I pulled ridiculous support team though-- Staraptor, Arboliva, & Dudunsparce. When I saw Dudunsparce I didn't even bother with turn 1 Bull Doze because I knew I'd get Glare support. So I chilling Water'd as he crit me with Bull Doze! lol Turn 2 +6 Liquidation took nice chip and heal'd everything. From there he went into shield, but Turn 3 Bull Doze from me actually did enough damage THROUGH Arboliva's Grass Terrain to get the 3rd Charge-- I Terra'd and bulled through from there.
He [unfortunately] didn't Crit even once while shield up, but I got enough Def Drops with Liquidation to break through anyway. Once the shield dropped, he wiped, I Bulked Up'd and he crit me with Mega Horn-- which HURT because I wasn't fighting type anymore, but after that +6 Liquidation just kept me at more health than he could muster over, and Liquidation stampede finished him off. Got 2 Ability Patches on the first go to boot! wooooohhhh~~

edit:

Also, ironically, I think Samurott is going to be pretty good for the Samurott Raid! lol
Because of Shell Armor.

Samurott
Ability: Shell Armor
Naughty 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SPE <-to outrun
Tera Type: Water
-Swords Dance
-Liquidation
-Chilling Water
-Bull Doze

Last edited:
Azu don’t work cause of Wipe timings.
Azumarill can work, but also similarly has to rely on Mud-Slaps and good AI support and a full game plan which just comes down to luck in the end. I made it through solo thanks to a squad of 2x Intimidate + Bellibolt paralysis and had enough trial attempts and notes for a full log of the fight.
1680223804519.png

Pre-battle notes:
As mentioned above Samurott has some very particular action timings with fortunately no double attacks.
1680223855740.png

This basically means that Samurott starts off with Focus Energy to make its crit moves guaranteed crits, a Bulldoze after turn 1, debuffs the party early, raises the shield early, and once the shield is down you're in for another player debuff at 65% HP, though sometimes I've seen the player debuff get delayed after the shield is down for some reason. The boss status reset is inevitable but the 50% HP Swords Dance is actually avoidable to not set off for a while in solo, so we can actually set up again on Samurott without giving it +2 neutral crits to destroy us with.

Against Azumarill in particular, Samurott seems to always go for Megahorn which fortunately does not have high crit and is inaccurate. This makes Azumarill's survival more consistent. Unfortunately my Azumarill is Fairy tera which tempts Samurott into going for Aqua Cutter which is much less manageable, and so I save tera for the endgame instead of using it to break through the shield quickly. The moveset is Mud-Slap/Liquidation/Play Rough/Belly Drum with every bit of attacking PP mattering, and a Shell Bell for sustain.

The battle log:
My plan is to start off by spamming Mud-Slap until the first stat reset., then I proceed to Belly Drum and start on the offense. Despite the Intimidates, Samurott lands multiple Megahorn crits so I have to burn a heal cheer to Belly Drum, and fortunately Samurott has been paralyzed to leave me some breathing room.

At this point noncrit Megahorn does 40 damage and my Liquidations are healing for 22 HP with Shell Bell, so I put up another heal to be safe but fortunately Samurott hasn't been landing many attacks. Eventually the shield goes down and we get reset, so I go for a heal cheer to put my health back up to a more comfortable position before another Belly Drum.

However at this point, the boss reset also happens so now I'm on the back foot spamming Mud-Slap again and I end up lacking the health to get a Belly Drum off. I end up pushing through with more Liquidations from neutral and barely manage to push to 203 HP which lets me get off the last Belly Drum. Samurott is paralyzed and I go for a tera Play Rough, miss, Samurott is paralyzed again, and I finally hit and restore a ton of HP with Shell Bell. At some point Samurott lands an Aqua Cutter for about 150 damage but the battle is basically over as I use my Play Roughs to deal the final blow.

1680223861540.png

Got it on my first try. Used a full support Cloyster (Bold 252 HP/252 Defense Chilling Water/Life Dew/Iron Defense/Aqua Ring) alongside 2 Azumarill (both with Defense Curl, Rollout and Belly Drum) and a Koraidon(which I don't remember doing much of anything). Ended up mostly Spamming Life Dew most of the fight(mixed in with Heal cheers immediate after the azus Belly Drummed) with the rare Chilling Water on the turns I didn't heal everyone. No-one fainted even once the entire fight.

For the record the Azumarill that went with me never tera'd even once during the match.

They wisely realized what they should actually be doing and didn't bother. Once roll out gets going the shield debuff doesnt really matter and presumably the Megahorn priority is what kept it from going really south.

This raid has been a disaster so far tbh. So many people bringing a previous raid mon like Decidueye or Charizard. Even the people bringing appropriate mons haven't been using them correctly in my raids.

EDIT: I've abandoned the last three raids I've attempted to host because they each had someone locking in Ceruledge as their mon of choice

EDIT 2: thought I had a decent team setup but then the guy with the Koraidon started selecting moves seemingly at random between Close Combat, Outrage, and Giga Impact

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Watching Hoodlum Callum's raids, his group seems to have worked out a strategy that seems pretty consistent, even solo:

Adamant/Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
Fire Tera

Tail Whip
Sunny Day
Raging Bull

1. Tail whip until KO'd
2. Sunny Day
4. Profit

Callum is currently in a state where he keeps getting the same raid partners of Arcanine, regular Tauros, and Arboliva; not sure how much they help but the others on the call are claiming it to be consistent, presumably with other raid partners.

I'll probably train up a Tauros and try this later, and then grumble when it turns out to be not nearly as consistent for me :P
I'm going to have to try Blaze Form. Just common sense would make me think Aqua Form is just much more safe/sound, but I could actually see this working despite Water Weak and Shell Blade always critting.

Plopping these in the RIGHT thread this time

Attempt 3: Kingambit, Gyarados (flying tera! used hurricane a bunch, confusion was a good thing to have happen too) and ... a CPU Corviknight.

This didn't work tooo badly but no one was making any real progress. Gyarados is a good one ot keep in mind though.

Made me realize Cloyster needs to be in full support; shell smash would only ever really work in a "full cloyster set up"

Incidentally all Samurott ever does against Cloyster is Megahorn. I never saw it use Swords Dance against me, though it was definitely using it against the others (& the occasional Bulldoze, but it stops after it misses)

Attempt 4: Koraidon, Azumarill, Iron Hands

Rollout Azu is no joke, for real.

Full support Cloyster was the answer. Just spam Chilling Water, occasionally alternating with life Dew. Maybe sneak in an Iron Defense Even with 2 bozos doing Belly Drum Strategies on a boss that wipes buffs, it just worked. Liberal usage of cheers from the others also probably helped.

I caught Samurott in a Beast Ball.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Easily Solo'd

Tauros Aqua Breed
Tera Water
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Def
-Liquidation
-Bulk Up
-Chilling Water
-Bull Doze

Bull Doze to even the speed, Chilling Water to continue charging unless Anger Point goes off, Liquidation opportunistically. The cool thing about using this was not caring about when wipe, or when to boost, or any of that-- just attack, and attack, and keep attacking to debuff/charge and eventually get the Anger Point buff to smash through the early Shield. After the 2nd Wipe I did Bulk Up once, but once Anger Point goes off after the 2nd Wipe, even if he crits against Tera Water he can't OHKO, and from there Liquidation is getting back SO much health. Liquidation's Def buffs also awesome.

War Story: My first run I pulled ridiculous support team though-- Staraptor, Arboliva, & Dudunsparce. When I saw Dudunsparce I didn't even bother with turn 1 Bull Doze because I knew I'd get Glare support. So I chilling Water'd as he crit me with Bull Doze! lol Turn 2 +6 Liquidation took nice chip and heal'd everything. From there he went into shield, but Turn 3 Bull Doze from me actually did enough damage THROUGH Arboliva's Grass Terrain to get the 3rd Charge-- I Terra'd and bulled through from there.
He [unfortunately] didn't Crit even once while shield up, but I got enough Def Drops with Liquidation to break through anyway. Once the shield dropped, he wiped, I Bulked Up'd and he crit me with Mega Horn-- which HURT because I wasn't fighting type anymore, but after that +6 Liquidation just kept me at more health than he could muster over, and Liquidation stampede finished him off. Got 2 Ability Patches on the first go to boot! wooooohhhh~~

edit:

Also, ironically, I think Samurott is going to be pretty good for the Samurott Raid! lol
Because of Shell Armor.

Samurott
Ability: Shell Armor
Naughty 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SPE <-to outrun
Tera Type: Water
-Swords Dance
-Liquidation
-Chilling Water
-Bull Doze
I'm running Aqua Tauros now too, but I'm using Tera Flying! Once you Tera, it will always Aqua Cutter you, so it'll always pop Anger Point.

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Shell Bell
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 244 HP / 160 Atk / 104 Def
Impish Nature
- Trailblaze
- Liquidation
- Tera Blast
- Chilling Water

Trailblaze to eat the turn 1 Bulldoze. Liquidation gets you to Tera, then you put on a funny balloon hat and win. The EVs guarantee Aqua Cutter can never 3HKO you when you're Flying type, and if you Chilling Water after it clicks Swords Dance, crit Aqua Cutter can't 2HKO you, though the EVs are really only important for a couple turns (once you're Tera Blasting, you'll outheal it).

EDIT: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 252 Def Impish will hit the same benchmarks and give you more Attack

Last edited:
Made the mistake of locking in for a raid with someone using Samurott, thinking 'oh well they've beaten it so surely they know what they're doing', only for them to lead off with Drill Run.

Also people love to bring Corviknight and set it up to +6 Defense so they can a) go for Tera Fighting to boost Body Press, b) still deal barely perceptible damage to the Tera Shield, and then c) immediately die the next time Samurott wipes buffs. Just use Screech and Drill Peck!!

I have finally finished it though, and I got two Ability Patches out of it, so I'll stop for now and maybe come back later for farming (hopefully once the good strategies are being used more widely)

Last edited:
Ok, Callum's Blazing Breed Tauros strategy actually worked. I swear, after you set up the sun Samurott never goes for Aqua Cutter and Tauros is bulky enough to survive 2 Drill Runs. And even with just -1 Def, Anger Point, and the Sun up Raging Bull was able to break nearly, if not exactly, half of the shield. Then after I got rid of the shield I went for Will O Wisp since Crits don't ignore burn and from there victory was guaranteed. Welcome to the team Uramasa. 2 down, 1 Hisui starter to go. And even if I don't get Typhlosion, at least I got my favorite water starter. Come to think of it, Samurott is the only Hisuian starter who's original variant is actually my favorite starter of the respective type. Of course though, that has to be countered with him having my least favorite Hisuian form.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I'm running Aqua Tauros now too, but I'm using Tera Flying! Once you Tera, it will always Aqua Cutter you, so it'll always pop Anger Point.

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Shell Bell
EVs: 244 HP / 160 Atk / 104 Def
Impish Nature
- Trailblaze
- Liquidation
- Tera Blast
- Chilling Water

Trailblaze to eat the turn 1 Bulldoze. Liquidation gets you to Tera, then you put on a funny balloon hat and win. The EVs guarantee Aqua Cutter can never 3HKO you when you're Flying type, and if you Chilling Water after it clicks Swords Dance, crit Aqua Cutter can't 2HKO you, though the EVs are really only important for a couple turns (once you're Tera Blasting, you'll outheal it).

EDIT: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 252 Def Impish will hit the same benchmarks and give you more Attack
Nice! My Tauros actually was Flying and I changed it— maybe need another life altering change lololol

But I’ve found Bulk Up useful as filler.

When it stat wipes you, are you still at neutral speed? If so I gotta change Bull Doze to Trail Blaze.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nice! My Tauros actually was Flying and I changed it— maybe need another life altering change lololol

But I’ve found Bulk Up useful as filler.

When it stat wipes you, are you still at neutral speed? If so I gotta change Bull Doze to Trail Blaze.
Yeah, you Trailblaze to +1, then Samurott uses Bulldoze and brings you back to neutral; it can't change your speed any further than that with wipes

This is the Corviknight spread I'm using:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 84 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drill Peck
- Screech
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Defensive bulk ensures that with Leftovers recovery, Aqua Cutter is a 5HKO with a crit. 28 Speed outpaces Samurott. The rest in Attack.

Edit: be careful when Roosting pre-Tera. The AI can predict this and start using Drill Run. Also, I found that Koraidon is actually a great partner for this as not only is it a fellow Screech user, the Sun will force Samurott to use Night Slash instead of Aqua Cutter, which does way less damage in comparison.

Last edited:

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I managed to solo the raid in my first try with this Quaquaval set:

Quaquaval
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Aqua Step
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Bulk Up turn 1, then spam Acrobatics until Samurott goes for Bulldoze, then use Aqua Step to offset the Speed drop. After that I just kept spamming a mix of Acrobatics and Bulk Up (I didn't have Roost and still managed to beat it). I fainted twice but that could've been prevented with Roost. The key here is being at high enough HP to use 1 or 2 Tera Flying Acrobatics, because after you Tera, Samurott goes for Aqua Cutter and that's a 2HKO, but it should be already low enough to where you can just keep spamming Acro + BU + Roost and win.

Might post a replay later too.

I managed to solo the raid in my first try with this Quaquaval set:

Quaquaval
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Aqua Step
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Bulk Up turn 1, then spam Acrobatics until Samurott goes for Bulldoze, then use Aqua Step to offset the Speed drop. After that I just kept spamming a mix of Acrobatics and Bulk Up (I didn't have Roost and still managed to beat it). I fainted twice but that could've been prevented with Roost. The key here is being at high enough HP to use 1 or 2 Tera Flying Acrobatics, because after you Tera, Samurott goes for Aqua Cutter and that's a 2HKO, but it should be already low enough to where you can just keep spamming Acro + BU + Roost and win.

Might post a replay later too.
Pretty sure you'll be better off running bulk investment since you're naturally faster than Samurott anyway.

Quaquaval
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 Def
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Aqua Step
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Attack investment hits a jump point, and the bulk investment almost never results in Megahorn 3HKOing you with a crit, and Aqua Cutter is a 3HKO post-Tera.

Cleared it 1st try online with a support Azumarill.
1680246715482.png

After a Charm, and thanks to a Miraidon's Taunt support preventing Swords Dance, Samurott did not do anything to us. I Fake Teared to debuff (did not actually have Tickle then but I found it to be the best 4th moveslot because I rolled a composition with a Miraidon, a Koraidon and a Rollout Azumarill, and the latter two would have benefitted, though Fake Tears + Electro Drift with their chip proved to be enough.
Sadly I don't remember where exactly this Azumarill was EV'd aside from HP. I may have invested in Attack because it was originally supposed to be a BD + Support set before I decided that going all support was better. Invest in Defense if you're training yours.

EDIT: Actually, Chilling Water is way better than Aqua Tail. Forgot it because I also did not have any TM of that move.

Last edited:

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Ran the Extreme Killernite set from BSS Series 1 to get mine. Took a few tries, but ended up getting a group of randoms with a Corviknight, another Dragonite, and a Koraidon. The Screech support from the Corviknight helped IMMENSELY.

Prior to that, I had tried Walking Wake (which was somewhat ok at surviving, but not good at damaging) and Salamence (Series 1 BSS Physically Offensive set, which had the same problem that Walking Wake did.) I had one attempt with Charizard, which was just to see what Water move it had (I didn't see it use Aqua Cutter at all in the first attempt)

The Walking Wake build:
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Hydro Steam
Dragon Pulse
Tera Blast
Flamethrower

Adamant/Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
Fire Tera

Tail Whip
Sunny Day
Raging Bull

1. Tail whip until KO'd
2. Sunny Day
4. Profit

I tried this for myself last night (with max HP rather than defense) and it worked beautifully. None of this nonsense rerolling ai partners for an intimidator and still timing out like with Bellibolt vs Decidueye.

Bug tera shards aren't going to be the most useful thing to farm, but I sold all my nuggets after going bankrupt buying HP ups, so will be good to collect those again.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Was trying to think about if Sunny Day Weakness Policy Blast Burn Charizard could get us close to a Miraidon-on-Decidueye style OHKO but it seems like it’s missing a multiplier or two. Thoughts?
Unlike Tauros it sails over the Bull Doze and could feasibly go for a Power Cheer after Sunny Day but still looking to fall short on damage.

Was trying to think about if Sunny Day Weakness Policy Blast Burn Charizard could get us close to a Miraidon-on-Decidueye style OHKO but it seems like it’s missing a multiplier or two. Thoughts?
Unlike Tauros it sails over the Bull Doze and could feasibly go for a Power Cheer after Sunny Day but still looking to fall short on damage.
You’d need Samurott to be at -6 SpDef for you to be at OHKO range. Ideally, you’d have 3 Pokémon using Acid Spray or Metal Sound on the same turn you get your Weakness Policy proc’d. Even then, it’s not 100% a guaranteed kill but the roll is well in your favor. Guaranteed with an Attack cheer or Helping Hand.

+2 252+ SpA Solar Power Charizard Blast Burn vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Bug Samurott in Sun: 11438-13458 (3455.5 - 4065.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)