A Colo(u)rful Walr(o)us

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
YellowScores.png

Rainbow Redeemers were actually used again, giving 1 point to Sultan of Skook, half a point to nutella, and half a point to Lebossle.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
20. Lebossle
The Weeknd - Earned It
Color 3 / Song 1.9

Player's Argument:
it's classy, and it's from a movie about grey

My Thoughts:
Okay color sub (none were worse than this), but it feels like a classy sub could be Black. Song is not terrible but it's just not good either.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
19. Aladynn
Mgla - With Hearts Towards None VII
Color 3.1 / Song 2

Player's Argument:
There is a certain monotone bleakness in this color. Like when it's cloudy and raining for 3 days straight and time becomes completely irrelevant because everything blends in together.

My Thoughts:
I expressed in Red that I just don't get anything out of this kind of angsty music. As for color, it's fine but again I think this could be Black.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
18. nutella
Parov Stelar - Silent Snow
Color 2.5 / Song 2.8

Player's Argument:
Evokes old-timey/noir/greyscale film and the fuzziness in the percussion as well as the muted sax sound.... grey.

My Thoughts:
The mutedness is probably what goes the farthest here, as I still don't buy the "old" argument. Did not feel like really punishing this. Unfortunately the more I thought about the more I really didn't feel like Electro-Swing was Grey. It's a neat entry but outclassed.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
17. Andy Snype
Joywave - Destruction
Color 3.2 / Song 2.4

Player's Argument:
gray is a neutral color. Most people reduce things to gray, but I think this song has multiple harsh elements to it that when constructed together feel gray and harsh overall

My Thoughts:
A neutral sub and unfortunately I feel very neutral about. Maybe I would have liked it a lot more if there weren't an abundance of similar entries that did better, but this one just doesn't stand out to me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
16. shubaka17
Stars - Dead Hearts
Color 3.4 / Song 2.3

Player's Argument:
there's a bunch of different interpretations on this song, (feel free to provide your own!) but to me this song is about a survivor of childhood abuse trying to come forward and get help for herself and for her friends stuck in the same situation. very gray, it's gotta be raining outside to get the full feelings from this song imo.

My Thoughts:
This gets most of its points from subject matter. It's a fair Grey sub but I just couldn't put it above others. This would have flipped later in some other categories but this is a competitive category and this is just the sub I liked the least.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
15. Panic Station
G.P. Telemann - Sonata in F Minor
Color 3.3 / Song 3.4

Player's Argument:
dignified, mature, classic, calming, elegant, formal
If you're wondering why I put down calming, I have literally used this song to bed down a hyperactive kitten.

My Thoughts:
Your color theory is getting pretty shaky. I guess you're not saying all classical music is Grey at least. The real reason this gets some Grey points is the bassoon that drones over everything. This actually grew on me and I think the bassoon makes it a fairly interesting piece and sub, but not a slam dunk.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
14. Schiavetto
The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2
Color 3.7 / Song 3

Player's Argument:
The worst moods are grey--the darkness hasn't quite set, but the light's too far off to matter. You haven't quite hit rock bottom, but you're so impossibly removed from anything resembling hope that it feels that way. With this track, Phil Elverum really nails that specific shade of despairing: the things that matter to you are fading away, and you know it's not the end of the world, but it may as well be. I think Elverum's production, too, does a great job of bringing out the overall tone of the song.

My Thoughts:
Another one that grew on me. It strongly sounds like that Newfound Interest in Connecticut band that DLE subbed for White, though I guess I don't like it quite as much (but also that song wouldn't even have full played this category).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
13. Lord Quas
Giles Corey - No One Is Ever Going to Want Me
Color 4 / Score 2.7

Player's Argument:
This song embodies feeling grey and no one loving you. There’s nothing special either way, you’re just average.

My Thoughts:
The biggest offender with this song is that out of eight minutes it doesn't get cool until six minutes in. Maybe that would be okay in less competitive categories but the scoring is really tight right now and it's almost a five-way tie.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
11. BLOODYRAIN
Father John Misty - Mr. Tillman
Color 3.9 / Song 2.9

Player's Argument:
When I think of grey I think of confusion, murkiness, maybe a conflicted or detached sort of feeling. This entire song gives off a feeling like you're in the middle of a fog and the subject of the song seems similarly confused and detached from reality.

My Thoughts:
Cool song that barely squeaks past the last four but also barely misses the 7 mark.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
10. Celever
Jenali Aryeh - Destinesia II
Color 3.5 / Song 3.5

Player's Argument:
Destinesia (destination + amnesia) was a new word people tried to make a thing a couple years ago, meaning "when you get to where you were going and forget why you went at all". Usually it just refers to going to the kitchen or something, but this is a track about your entire life being that sensation once you move out of home and have ostensibly limitless options for the first time. In other words, it's a song about going from the black and white thinking of childhood and adolescence to the grey thinking of adulthood. There are also tones of fatalism, adding destiny into the mix, which fsr I associate with grey although I have no idea why.

My Thoughts:
No one else even came close to subbing something like this, which I guess is alternative R&B? Seems like a genre with potential. Strong mellow energy here.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
9. Ghostwheel
Opeth - Windowpane
Color 4.4 / Song 2.6

Player's Argument:
Grey is a color to me which feels uncertain, complex, muted, and maybe a little melancholy. The way this song meanders deliberately, juxtaposing multiple ideas in that formless and chaotic, but somehow not at all harsh or positive manner, makes it the ideal choice for me.

My Thoughts:
Here we return to another sensible category for metal and see the score rise naturally as a result. I'm actually probably being nice after dunking on so many of his songs, but whatever.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
8. MyNameIsNothing
Helado Negro - Imagining What to Do
Color 3.6 / Song 3.8

Player's Argument:
grey is a DEPRESSING color, I never want to leave my bed on dull, grey, cloudy days. a song all about waiting for the sun and colors to show themselves again seems fitting.

My Thoughts:
Another very interesting sub from the new ringer. I really like the tropical percussion at the end, it really adds a spice of contrast which I feel makes Grey the color it is.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
7. Oddish
Mitski - Francis Forever
Color 3.8 / Song 3.9

Player's Argument:
When i think of grey i usually think along the lines of "boring." I mean on its own it's kind of a dull color. Obviously though i wouldn't send a song that i consider boring, so i thought "maybe i could find something about boredom," and thought about some other things grey could mean too. This song has the singer feeling lonely, uninspired, inadequate. It feels like she's lost some sort of passion within herself. All in all, just feeling dull, which to me is very grey.

My Thoughts:
This shows that Grey can be fun (no one was dumb enough to submit a boring song or anything). Grey is a song of contrast. It's really exemplified by songs that sound nice but are actually depressing.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
6. Termi
The Cure - The Holy Hour
Color 4.7 / Song 3.7

Player's Argument:
grey is a color of depression and hopelessness to me so a depressing tune it is

My Thoughts:
This is not a great example of 80s music sounding nice but being depressing (which The Cure definitely made some of), this is more just depressing. But you can't go too wrong with The Cure and this would have podiumed another category.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
5. gbsfranca
CASTLEBEAT - Face on the Wall
Color 4.5 / Song 4

Player's Argument:
Grey makes me think of rainy Sunday mornings, where you normally... stay at home. I feel like this song describes a lonely Sunday morning pretty well

My Thoughts:
This is EXACTLY the kind of 80s song I was talking about. And it was released... four years ago. Okay. I guess I will check this artist out.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
4. Sultan of Skook
Alan Parsons Project - To One in Paradise
Color 4.9 / Song 3.6

Player's Argument:
A song referencing a poem by Edgar Allen Poe, which has ethereal themes of the supernatural but also of the very real darkness and depression that humans experience.

My Thoughts:
I dig this angle, and it inspired me to also play a Poe song as header. I've heard of this band but I can't say I'm too familiar with their music. While this is obviously pretty good, I think they could do better.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
3. The Quasar
Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
Color 4.6 / Song 4.5

Player's Argument:
Alan Parson Project are one of my favorite bands. We are in 1982 and this the track gives the name of this LP. That's grey as the hard truth of this song's lyrics. And that's a great song...

My Thoughts:
And I think this band could do better because I got two of their songs. Not only do I also like the angle of this sub as the color of "being woke", learning that the world isn't black and white, but this is also an appreciably more entertaining song than the last one. Even though they both got a high score, there is still a world of songs in the 4-5 score range that don't easily get touched without pandering to me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
2. Da Letter El
Slowdive - Alison
Color 4.8 / Song 4.4

Player's Argument:
The faded out vocals have this very muggy feel to them. Additional gray elements are the cigarette smoke of the drug addicted target of affection, and the eventual reveal that this is all just a fever dream makes the song topic all the more cloudy.

My Thoughts:
Another song that really feels like a pander except that I've never heard of this band. Doesn't seem like a wholly original genre, as I love this kind of atmospheric music from the 80s as well. But a very good example of atmosphere nonetheless.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
1. Martin
Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight
Color 5 / Song 4.9

Player's Argument:
Grey, to me, is a somewhat sombre colour. That said, it isn't sombre sombre—it's less of a funeral march and more a rain cloud—there is a sombre, somwhat oppressive atmosphere, but there you know it's only a matter of time before the sun comes out again to cheer you up. The way Max Richter has managed to capture this balance in this piece is stunning—it's sombre, but the hopeful tinge brought on by the major chords sprinkled through really lifts this from a very standard piece of string composition to something truly wonderful.

My Thoughts:
Almost a 10 but to me with soundtrack music the sky is the limit and I could think of a lot that outperforms this. Still top-tier, obviously, with use in quite a few films and it just slam dunks the Grey feeling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)