I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
18. Lebossle
Neil Cicierega - Shit
2.3 Color / Score 2

Player's Argument:
it's a poop joke.

My Thoughts:
Fair enough, it sure is. But now in the first days of my summer vacation I find myself asking, does this song really make me FEEL like shit? And to me it sounds a bit too poppy for that. And while I love some Cicierega, this seems low-tier.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
17. BLOODYRAIN
Eve - Demon Dance Tokyo
Color 2 / Score 2.6

Player's Argument:
With a brown song I was aiming for something that was rough, down-to-earth, maybe a bit chaotic [both lyrically and instrumentally]. That could've worked with metal but I was doing well and metal is not going to score well on the song portion, so this is probably a better bet. Definitely down to earth and rough sounding, a bit less chaotic-sounding.

My Thoughts:
Down to Earth reads well but then you hear the song and I'm not sure what you mean. How is something Down to Earth and chaotic? This definitely leans more chaotic but I don't see the connection with Brown. Passable quirky song.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
16. gbsfranca
Still Woozy - Goodie Bag
Color 2.1 / Score 2.5

Player's Argument:
One of the hardest colors to establish synesthesia. I found this very earthy sound with Still Woozy, so I'm gonna go with his most famous track, which I don't expect you to know ;)

My Thoughts:
Really don't understand what sounds earthy going by some of these subs. Random R&B love song? You're right that I haven't heard it. It's okay and maybe I'm sleeping on it, but I sure don't hear any Earth.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
15. Andy Snype
Neha Kakkar & Himansh Kohli - Oh Humsafar
Color 2.8 / Song 2.1

Player's Argument:
what's more brown than bollywood? i don't think you like fast bollywood so here's something mellow

My Thoughts:
Bollywood is folkish and not made by white people, I guess that's what you mean. The subject matter of the song doesn't do it favors. I've mostly only talked at length about Bollywood about how bad these movies are, but my favorite songs are probably stuff like Jab Bhi Koi Haseena Dekhu or Tunak Tunak Tun (predictably), which aren't exactly Maniac but some of the faster Bollywood songs I know. Basically I'm most likely to like anything that stands out from the very thick folk tapestry that's just everywhere in India and this doesn't do that.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
14. MyNameIsNothing
Girl in Red - We Fell in Love in October
Color 2.9 / Song 2.7

Player's Argument:
tough one for me! i had to look up that brown is often associated with sturdiness, dependability, and comfort. this song admittedly just makes me think of my SO who I associate with these words lol, but october is also the month that leaves really fall off the trees here and everything looks way more brown

My Thoughts:
Yeah, I guess October is Brown (or Orange), but I don't know that this song's association with its season is anything more than superficial. Indie pop song is okay, I feel like I've gotten a ton of indie pop in this Walrus and I just don't know what to say about it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
13. Lord Quas
The I.L.Y's - Wash My Hands Shorty
Color 3.5 / Song 2.4

Player's Argument:
There’s just that inherent grungy (not the music genre) and ratchet aspect of brown. It’s just a dirty color most of the time man. And not much is dirtier than the I.L.Y’s that I think you would actually find listenable.

My Thought:
The song does make me feel dirty but I can't shake the feeling that a lot of that is the video. Another chaotic song.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
12. Schiavetto
Ari Lennox - Shea Butter Baby
Color 3.7 / Song 2.2

Player's Argument:
My melanin is beautiful. :clap_tone5: love the :clap_tone5: skin you're :clap_tone5: in!!! Aight forreal, I debated for a bit whether this was more of a red, or even a purple song - there's a romance to it that I think could come through as red, and the groove has some purple to it. What sold me on brown, though, is the intimacy: the warmth of low lighting, the messy closeness of bodies, etc.

My Thoughts:
I thought this would do a lot better early on when every sub was really questionable. And it certainly sounds brown, but the more I listened to it the less it sounded good. Maybe it's the flow or the type of drum machine sound, but I'm not into this new R&B.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
11. Aladyyn
OMNIA - Earth Warrior
Color 4 / Song 1.9

Player's Argument:
Honestly the only things that brown evokes to me are soil/dirt/mud and poop. This song is about the Earth and also it's really shit so I feel like I'm hitting all bases here.

My Thoughts:
Pretty brown in concept marred only by random white people reggae beat. And well, shit is your word but you're not wrong. Might have been a few points more generous but it doesn't sound like you're gonna complain.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
10. Panic Station
Queen - You're My Best Friend
Color 1.8 / Song 4.5

Player's Argument:
wholesomeness, supportive, sincere. The song is a very wholesome and honest love song.

My Thoughts:
Your color website is being weird again. I think a few hoops were jumped here. Brown is down to Earth, because it's the color of dirt and trees. Okay. Therefore it's wholesome, I guess. I don't think this is the kind of wholesome we're looking for though, that's more like "Horses die but my truck don't quit, TWANG". Banger.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
9. The Quasar
Michael Jackson - Do You Remember
Color 2.5 / Song 3.9

Player's Argument:
I saw/lived when song's video were born. It was in 1984 and I was only a boy. I know, it will be difficult for many of you (but only because you are much younger than I!) how much music has changed and how was important to create a video beautiful and eye catchy. My generation was tuned on Video-Music (that was the Italian broadcaster TV) all day, after school. So in my mind, when I think of that years...each music has his video. Peter Gabriel and Micheal Jackson are (I think) the best performer of this combination (great music and great video).

And this song and this video is brown, as video atmosphere. Ancient Egypt, sand, the video scenario. And this a true actor cast (Iman, model and Bowie's wife, Eddie Murphy and (yes it's him!) Magic Johnson.

My Thoughts:
However Brown the video is, it barely comes through in the song. Alright Jackson song.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
8. Da Letter El
Grover Washington Jr. - Earth Tones
Color 3.6 / Song 3.1

Player's Argument:
brown makes me think of two things: earth, and coffee
this song starts off with these nature sounds (hence the name earth tones), and then transitions into this very cool smooth jazz/jazz fusion that you might expect to find in a coffeehouse
there's also jazz really coming out of african american communities being a tie to brown too

My Thoughts:
Right away we can see the connective tissue between Green and Brown, but I do think this song leans a lot more Brown. It's good stuff but I don't like it enough to listen to it for 12 minutes.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
7. Ghostwheel
Haken - Cockroach King
Color 3.9 / Song 2.8

Player's Argument:
Brown is a color I frankly am not very attached to as an identity. But if I were to go for it it'd have to be a song like this. Pretty deliberate, not carrying a strong emotion, but very clearly distinct from gray. Almost quirkier and more playful than gray? But not vibrant or creative like some of the brighter colors like white, blue, or purple. Something more refined.

My Thoughts:
I really don't know what you're talking about but it's a gritty metal song about a cockroach so it works.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
5. Celever
Mia Z - Lola
Color 3.8 / Song 3.6 / Lyric Penalty

Player's Argument:
To me there are two things that are iconic to brown: caramel and sepia. So here's a song that's smooth and heavily rooted in the style of older music. Of the old-fashioned style colours, brown is by far the warmest, so it's a fairly uplifting and upbeat track too.

My Thoughts:
We've discussed several times that songs don't sound a certain color just because they are old, but a song made purposefully to sound old may be. And I think Brown being "old" feels right. I like a lot of throwback fusion and this is nice.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
4. Termi
Marc Ribot y Los Cubanas Postizos - No Me Llores Mas
Color 4.4 / Song 3

Player's Argument:
i associate the color brown with smokey, moody bars, the kind of place where the local sadsacks drown their sorrows in whiskey. this song feels appropriately smokey and hazy

My Thoughts:
Here in the top four we see really what I would have expected for Brown, with music that is really evocative of tradition. And what's more traditional than men smoking and drinking in cramped bars after a day of hard work?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
3. shubaka17
Orville Peck - Cowboy
Color 5 / Song 2.9

Player's Argument:
I've been pussy footin this cat the whole time, and for that I'm sorry. Texico and running from the sherrif is close, but i felt wrong about that Santana Smooth ripoff. Acoustic TropHop is wrong but in the other direction. What it comes down to, the cold hard truth, is that Brown is Western. Brown is Gay. Brown is Cowboys. Orville Peck's Take You Back is all of these. He's a Cowboy, you can tell by his hat. He's Gay, you can tell because he's hot, wears a mask, and uses a whip. He's Western, you can tell from this song he sings. The whistling, the whips, the gun shots, is there a song more brown than this gay trail song? Sure the lyrics sound like a breakup, but that's simply because that's gay culture.

My Thoughts:
Brown could have had just as much folk music as Green, but it also really could have been the country category and I'm a bit surprised it wasn't (nothing has stopped people from sending Metal and Rap). Country could also have gone much worse than this, but this is quite alright. It's not mired in modern country tropes that have been going off the rails my entire life.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
1. Oddish
K'ala Marka - El Dorado
Color 4.9 / Song 4

Player's Argument:
Brown makes me think earthly and natural, so sort of traditional sounding music like this felt fitting. The instruments that are used here, the sound, and even the lack of singing for the most part (not that i automatically consider singing to be an unnatural element of a song mind you, just that no voices means no "manipulation" of the voices can occur, like autotune) drew me to it for this cat.

My Thoughts:
A mostly traditional folk song that happens to slap, that's good enough for this shit category.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
20. The Quasar
Elton John - Blue Eyes
Color 2 / Song 2.6 / Title Penalty

Player's Argument:
It was 1982 and me and my family were on the beach, on vacation. I was only a teenager but I decided in those days that my wife would have had blue eyes...listening this song.
And now she has blue eyes (ofc!)...

My Thoughts:
Really the epitome of a song that could have had any other eye color in the title, only not failing because it's real slow and mopy for a supposed love song. To that end, it's also pretty low-tier for an Elton John song.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
19. gbsfranca
Tennis - Runner
Color 2.1 / Song 3

Player's Argument:
This whole album is inspired by a sailing expedition, and the main single represents it the best. The wavey instrumentation and the mermaid singing add up to this middle-of-the-ocean atmosphere

My Thoughts:
Are you talking about the same song I'm hearing? It repeatedly alludes to a desert environment (the opposite of an ocean) and I'm not sure what mermaid singing means or when it kicks in. Your argument should catfail you, but Blue is a broad and forgiving color and some might argue this is a light-bluish.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
18. Panic Station
Muse - Follow Me
Color 3 / Song 2.2

Player's Argument:
loyalty, caring, reliability. Forgive the cheesy wordplay, but it's a song about how someone want to be "true blue" to the subject.

My Thoughts:
Not remotely a fan of Muse, but this is one of the better songs I've heard from them. Or it was until the dubstep drops. Still, I think this is a very fair song score.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
17. Isa
Boards of Canada - Aquarius
Color 2.9 / Song 2.4

Player's Argument:
Smooth like the ocean. Also has water sound bytes.

My Thoughts:
Isa has mentioned several times how proud they are of this meme... and I'm not sure why. Because it's a borderline title penalty? Obviously invokes Aquamarine which is just Blue, but I don't think I could penalize Aqua as its a thing and the title isn't actually Aquamarine. Bluish and sorta cool song but has a lot of samples that dilute the theme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)