A Colo(u)rful Walr(o)us

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
shubaka17
Man or Astro-Man - Evil Plans of Planet Spectra
Color 2 / Song 1.9

Player's Argument:
This one feels just like the little green men have abducted me, and now they're showing me a space battle from the '60s on a black and white TV, except because of the radiation they use to power the ship it's in black and green.

My Thoughts:
I honestly thought this would be more interesting than it ended up being. But that their (or your) idea of alien sci-fi is little more than surf rock, while perhaps period appropriate, just feels half-baked. That it doesn't even clock in at two minutes doesn't help either.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Andy Snype
Cake - Sheep Go to Heaven
Color 2.5 / Song 2.3

Player's Argument:
this song is pretty jaded. i think it's very green. pretty angsty. but also the motivation for why i work now, so i don't have to deal w/this. also catchy.

My Thoughts:
Jaded as in envious? Because being lower class sucks? Interesting angle maybe but it feels like a few hoops are being jumped to get there. Incidentally, Cake is on my list of bands to check out. This song is neat for a political song, but I wouldn't listen to it repeatedly.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Schiavetto
Corrine Bailey Rae - I'd Do It All Again
Color 2.4 / Song 2.7

Player's Argument:
Starts out cool, calm, serene, then builds into something rich, lush--all very green imo. There's a kind of peace to this track I just love--that feeling of being able to look back on everything after years and years and say, hey, maybe you didn't live the best life, but you lived a rich, full life.

My Thoughts:
Feels questionable but if I squint at it, it shares some traits with some higher ranking songs. Unfortunately, it still just feels like too much of a love song. As an R&B song, it is nice enough.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Isa
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
Color 3.9 / Song 2.2

Player's Argument:
Despite the title I feel like this song is very spring-like, with an upbeat melody that feels like it has the power by itself to make things blossom.

My Thoughts:
Definitely doesn't necessarily feel White. Decent Green folk song, but a bit new and preppy for me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
nutella
Mum - Blessed Brambles
Color 3.8 / Song 2.4

Player's Argument:
Evokes wild and uncontrollable plant life thriving and flourishing in nature

My Thoughts:
There's a lot of Green here but also a very mechanical sound that gets in the way a bit. It's an interesting ambient song.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Sultan of Skook
Falconer - Mindtraveller
Color 3.5 / Song 2.9

Player's Argument:
Green is associated with wisdom and nature, and a song about someone who travels through the world to become more wise, it fits both themes.

My Thoughts:
I really like this take. It evokes feelings of Tolkien adventure, the Greenest of all fantasy. It's a shame the metal sound itself is pretty standard (if nice enough to listen to).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
12. Martin
Simon & Garfunkel - The 59th Street Bridge Song
Color 3.7 / Song 3.1

Player's Argument:
Green is a colour that puts you in a good mood. If yellow is a very in-your-face, happy-go-lucky kinda feeling, green is a little more bouncy and hippyish—it puts a spring in your step and sets you up for the day ahead. It's kinda a compromise between yellow and blue in that regard—and not just because of where it sits on the colour wheel. I've tried to capture that feeling with my submission.

My Thoughts:
How'd the guy who wrote this description get so far? Anyway, it kinda works on virtue of being Simon & Garfunkel, but you definitely could have picked something more substantial from the same act.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
10. BLOODYRAIN
Oingo Boingo - Try to Believe
Color 3.4 / Song 3.8

Player's Argument:
When I think of green I think a lot about plants and growth. To me this song is about growth- things might be hard sometimes but goddammit, you gotta try.

My Thoughts:
This sub will no doubt seem odd to some, but here is where we see Green develop an interesting portfolio. Yes, it's about nature, but it's also about personal growth and adventure.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
9. Panic Station
Lenny Kravitz - I Build This Garden for Us
Color 3.6 / Song 3.7

Player's Argument:
growth and vitality, self-reliance, reliability and dependability, nature lover and family oriented, practical and down to earth, compassionate and nurturing, generous, a high moral sense, possessive, and a do-gooder
The song is about creating an Edenesque paradise for him and his loved ones, along with the idealistic thought that his new sanctuary could be opened to others who want to turn away from the corrupting influences of modern society.

My Thoughts:
While this song is definitely about love, the nature and growth metaphors are not even slightly subtle. It's a very good sub from a good artist, but there's an even Greener love still to come.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
8. MyNameIsNothing
Maybel - Bird Song
Color 4.8 / Song 2.5

Player's Argument:
maybe a bit obvious but green represents the great outdoors, more specifically forests and woods and greener mountains. Appalachian folk harmonies as a nod to the mountains i would hike on as a kid, and lyrics about being various birds and living in nature

My Thoughts:
Cloyingly floral, which lends it a high color score and middling song score.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
7. Ghostwheel
Equilibrium - Waldschrein Instrumental
Color 4.4 / Song 3

Player's Argument:
For green it's clear I wanted a song celebrating vitality, life, and exploration, and so you gotta go with Folk Metal. The instrumentals make me feel as if I'm cresting over a hill, looking out at the possibilities before me and breathing in the free air. I've spared you the version with lyrics because these guys are all about very harsh German vocals that even I find difficult to get accustomed to.

My Thoughts:
I imagine that on the back half of this Walrus, we are going to see things going more in metal's favor. Green is a great example of a metal color, or at least the color of specific kinds of metal, and this is a nice example of folk metal.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
6. Da Letter El
London Symphony Orchestra - Walk to the Paradise Garden
Color 4.9 / Song 2.8

Player's Argument:
i think of nature when i think green
this song evokes nature for me
hopefully it does for you too

My Thoughts:
Very odd that the guy who turns off his sound when any musical songs play sends me something from an opera. This is a much better representation of a single color than we've seen with orchestral music yet, with the nature vibes being very purposeful. It's quite nice but is held back because it drops off a lot in the middle.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
5. Termi
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Color 4 / Song 3.9

Player's Argument:
green stands for lushness, nature, a general sense of wonder at the world. to me this song evokes the feeling you get when walking through a verdant meadow or smelling the pregnant air of late spring

My Thoughts:
This could have been a heavy folk music category and almost was, but it had nowhere near the genre dominance that some other cats had. A decent Van Morrison song with nice naturey flutework, this isn't peak folk but it's as good as we'll see today.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
4. gbsfranca
Tyler, the Creator - Garden Shed
Color 4.6 / Song 3.3

Player's Argument:
Pretty thematic track, here sexuality is discussed under a floral light

My Thoughts:
Yes, I actually like some Tyler. This may feel like a very out of left field top sub, but I think it takes what Kravitz did and kicks it into overdrive. Because what is nature but a non-stop orgy? And what's the point of personal growth without sexual discovery?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
3. Celever
Gansta Pat - I Wanna Smoke
Color 4.5 / Song 3.5

Player's Argument:
Cuz weed. Best song to smoke to ever made and I've done it so many times listening to it makes me feel a lil bit high just from association. I know you advised against rap but this song's too good lmao.

My Thoughts:
Somehow only one person had a weed sub and before anyone feels stupid for not jumping on that, it certainly could have gone worse than this very easily. But this is a nice classic sound.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
2. The Quasar
Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
Color 3.3 / Song 4.9

Player's Argument:
They were an English band formed in 1981, led by Mark Hollis (vocals, guitar, piano), Lee Harris (drums), and Paul Webb (bass). Mark Hollis was really a genius; he died last year and I loved and love his music with his band. If you didn't know him, I'll be happy this song would cause you. Perhaps you know a cover by No Doubt of a famous Talk Talk hit ("It my life").

This song is a "hymn to hope". So...green hope!
PS: There are always animals in his videos....often less obvious. ;)

"To me the ultimate ambition is to make music that doesn't have a use by date, that goes beyond your own time." - Mark Hollis

My Thoughts:
What would a Quasar sub be without some suspect color logic? He probably subbed this just because the video takes place outside. I can't say I ever thought of this song as being Green, but it's in good company with the personal growth crowd so hey here's your silver. Damn fine song that is infinitesimally close to being a 5.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
1. Oddish
Dolly Parton - Jolene
Color 5 / Song 4 / Lyric Penalty

Player's Argument:
Because "green with envy" is a saying lol. I had other ideas for green too but had like no other songs that fit anything i was looking for so i finally just settled on this. Singer is jealous, easy connection. Yeah i know this has a lyric penalty but at this point I'm willing to just take it since this has been taking too damn long and i gotta sleep eventually lol

My Thoughts:
It has been almost the whole cat since we saw envy come up, and we see it on a song with tons of nature allusions and a real folkish vibe (I guess this is technically country but it's good).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
20. Isa
Fugazi - Blueprint
Color 1.7 / Score 1.8

Player's Argument:
Brown is the color of fascism, of control over the individual. Blueprint is a song about taking back control from the ones directing your behavior.

My Thoughts:
Brown is the color of fascism, okay. So you sent me a song about anti-fascism? Seems like you got turned around. Not my kind of punk either.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
19. Martin
Kikuo - Tsuki no Youkai 2013
Color 1.9 / Score 2.3

Player's Argument:
Brown is one of those weird colours—it's technically a warm colour (it's p. much just a shade of red), but it's not a colour that I particularly want/try to associate with anything. Instead of going for low hanging fruit and choosing something that feels dirty, or for something with a chocolatey bitterness/sweetness to it, I've decided to try and capture this weird sense of identity by submitting a song which is isn't heavy and stressful yet never lets you settle into anything comfy either.

My Thoughts:
No idea what you're talking about. Sounds more chaotic than anything. Is Brown chaotic just because no one can decide what it is? My body isn't ready for that. The song score is probably generous too, as it has some cool sounds but really doesn't sell me on vocaloid at all as a whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)