Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
My problem is getting over-obsessed easily and losing track of when to stop to take a break, instead head-smashing against stuff until I get burnt and need to vent a little. I've had to take long-term breaks from Pokemon just because of that. Please do take that post as what I needed to write after 5~6h of near non-stop laddering only to see what seemed like my best chance get tainted by two consecutive losses (with bad luck, to boot), and never recover from there.
As for your quote, reading that is the only reason why I even thought I had a chance to get reqs, as 80% GXE is something I only got once at my peak performance in SS Ubers, and only for a short time. And when I tried to get there, I got so close I understood you were right and it was possible, but still managed to always be one step away of my hand. Which made me feel like I shouldn't give up, but that causes the aforementioned issues. Worst part is, I pretty much threw away a couple of games with terrible performance just out of fatigue.

Have no doubt that I do enjoy the game, and have loved it both in its cartridge form since Gen 1 as a kid and in its competitive form since Gen 6 when I started to build teams. I just REALLY need to know when to stop to take a break.
Yeah, this is pretty much the exact thing that made me quit trying for reqs. I get a good win streak going, drop a game because of RNG (and it’s always RNG at that point in the ladder, I swear they rig it to be biased against accounts starting with OUDJ), tilt, drop two more games because I’m tilted, realize my GXE is unsalvageable now, take a break, get gaslit into believing that 80% GXE is attainable for me, make a fresh account, rinse and repeat.

I swear Slowking is going to anchor Hail Teams better than Abomasnow does. Oh a similar not I haven't much of Sand teams in OU as a whole since gen 9 started

I swear Slowking is going to anchor Hail Teams better than Abomasnow does. Oh a similar not I haven't much of Sand teams in OU as a whole since gen 9 started
I mean yeah, much better poke overall. Only issue is there isn't a viable veil setter, one of snows biggest selling points.

As for why there's no sand... There's just no good abusers. You are literally limited to lycanroc, which just isn't justifiable for the weakness stacking of the playstyle. Houndstone got banned & Drill and Zolt aren't legal.

So does that mean that TTar could start to run Unnerve? Because I think it could threaten mons that rely on berries in their set to work (Looking at you Rabsca)

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
So does that mean that TTar could start to run Unnerve? Because I think it could threaten mons that rely on berries in their set to work (Looking at you Rabsca)
holy fuck thats genious, if chu yu gets banned, then you can use chopple berry unnerve ttar with eq to just dance over pawmots corpse

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Nah, the Sp. Def boost on TTar is still a big part of why it was the most used mon for three generations straight and has never closed out a gen below OU. Also, even with Chi-Yu banned, Sun is still a very solid playstyle because of all the Protosynthesis mons running around, so Tyranitar still needs to run Sand Stream to disrupt that. Just because sand teams aren’t good doesn’t mean Sand Stream Tyranitar isn’t.

But doesn't Unnerve prevent Salac Berry users from using their item, so you can then switch into something with Knock Off to ruin their strat since I think the berry only activates whenever the user drops low on health and not when they start their turn on low health

But doesn't Unnerve prevent Salac Berry users from using their item, so you can then switch into something with Knock Off to ruin their strat since I think the berry only activates whenever the user drops low on health and not when they start their turn on low health
okay but, what the actual hell is using a salac berry in this day in age, I genuenly cannot think of a single pokemon that runs salac berry, or any berry that isn't leppa, for that matter, sand stream is ttars niche, its what lets it be decent in this meta, and removing that for a niche affect that will rarely come into play is never worth it.

Well I mean Unnverve TTar would render Rabsca useless in every single way possible since... well the only one I faced in the ladder was just using Revival Blessing with a Leppa Berry. Also Chople Berry might help TTar survive a CC from Annihilape or Great Tusk so that ain't a bad idea ngl

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We never once said it was going to need a suspect test; it is very likely to get quickbanned.

But there aren’t quickbans in the middle of major, generation defining suspects either. There haven’t even been quickbans during regular suspects. A Chi-Yu ban would alter the metagame, effectively making the experience of those who laddered at one point very uneven with that of later and potentially lead to decision making biases. With something so consequential as Tera, we virtually have our hands tied until the suspect is over. Once it’s over, we will act quickly as promised.
Cinderace is now available in SV OU. :)

One funny thing. Ace has like two days to be used a lot in high ladder or it will drop to UU unwittingly. I know UU exits Alpha in January and they can QB it if that happens, but still. lol

View attachment 479128
So quick bans can't happen during suspect testing, but meta changing Pokémon like Cinderance can be added during suspect testing?

(Not trying to sound like I'm complaining, I'm just curious of the thought process)

What do people think are the best ways to use Garchomp, aside from just as a pure hazard setter (specifically on hyper offense)? I feel like he theoretically has a lot of potential as a nice breaker/sweeper/pivot for bulky offense as he has been in every generation, but considering balance is not really prominent in this meta (and Dondozo is on all balance teams that do actually exist), I feel like he doesn't do this job as well.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
bro, i just realized that cinderace 2 days before suspect test ends means last minute players might get their teams fucked because their teams just got blasted by a unprepare mon, and i guess you could say something like "bro just pre plan" and then i just "bro just put the mon into the oven 2 more days"

and before you think im complaining, i gave up on reqs 2 weeks ago, im not mad, but there people mad, and they are gonna come any second now

Also has anyone got hope for Kiicketune or this thing just never touching OU. Because this thing has something that could make Scizor a bit jealous by virtue of how game-breaking it would immediately get, and it's Fell Stinger, which gets a Technician boost, bu also for some reason has limited distribution somehow

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What do people think are the best ways to use Garchomp, aside from just as a pure hazard setter (specifically on hyper offense)? I feel like he theoretically has a lot of potential as a nice breaker/sweeper/pivot for bulky offense as he has been in every generation, but considering balance is not really prominent in this meta (and Dondozo is on all balance teams that do actually exist), I feel like he doesn't do this job as well.
Mix attacker is probably best so you can nuke that damn catfish out of existence. Personally, I prefer scarf Garchomp because I love outraging things to death. I made a post about it a couple pages back on what it needs and a few replays where it puts in work

So quick bans can't happen during suspect testing, but meta changing Pokémon like Cinderance can be added during suspect testing?

(Not trying to sound like I'm complaining, I'm just curious of the thought process)
Since you quoted me I'll answer that last question. They only added Zard and Ace (though Zard was before the suspect) to this meta cuz they were legally obtained via Tera Raid events in Scarlet/Violet. I'm pointing this out cuz this is a first in Smogon's history, we're getting transfer-only Pokémon early and tbh I really the fact GF is doing this, it keeps the meta fresh, (even though these types of events may not last long considering the HOME update may arrive anytime soon). For Cinderace's case, we just got a new way of hazard control and a good Gholdengo, Glimmora and Grimmsnarl check.

So yeah, if something gets added in the cartridge games, they'll implement it on Showdown sooner or later.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
bambi? am I missing something? also ttar technically switches in but that requires using ttar
It's Ting Lu. I just like to call it Bambi because I was reminded of the deer from disney. True enough but Tyranitar really sucks rn with so many resists to both its stabs

Okay I just noticed something between the fact that Knock Off has limited distribution and the maybe forgotten Blunder Policy. Maybe this item can be used more in a meta with limited Knock Off distribution

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Okay I just noticed something between the fact that Knock Off has limited distribution and the maybe forgotten Blunder Policy. Maybe this item can be used more in a meta with limited Knock Off distribution
I do like using niche items. I ran Covert Cloak Gholdengo while I was still laddering on the recommendation of njnp and it was pretty damn good (no Mystical Fire/Nuzzle shenanigans from Hatterene, no Spirit Breaks from Grimm, and—most importantly—prevents Salt Cure from taking effect). I also ran a silly Clear Amulet Infestation Pex set to trap and kill Grimmsnarl, but that’s significantly less good against anything besides Grimmsnarl (but it WORKS, dammit). So if anyone has any use for Blunder Policy, I’d like to know about it. Any mons that could use a Speed boost and run inaccurate moves? Something combined with Stomping Tantrum, maybe?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
The limited knock off distribution isn't what made this item barely used. It's the fact that you'd rather not have your attacks miss and it can horribly backfire if your attack does hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)