Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What a condescending answer from someone who asked the question in the first place lol.
You asked the question by prefacing it with “no offense” and “y’all aren’t seriously planning on keeping…” which is far more condescending and rude considering the fact that we volunteer countless hours of our time documenting data, assuring transparency and communicating, and engaging with the metagame — you make light of the whole process and undermine a heavily supported sentiment as if it is erroneous altogether.

To put it bluntly, if you’re going to frame something in a rude way, then I have every right to ask you to not do that to me when I am in a volunteer position for the community. And that’s all I did — ask that you phrase a question respectfully. That’s not condescending so much as a fair ask.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In all likelihood, yes. We have been pretty transparent about the expectation being a radar in the immediate aftermath of the suspect, leading to a vote in early January and potential suspects following.
I know this makes sense because everyone get a fair shot at the current meta game with no changes for the suspect testing through the 2 and a half weeks. But I think I can clearly say if Chi-Yu got quickbanned today majority of the community wouldn’t bat an eye, I mean I don’t think it’s needs a suspect test because it’s going to get banned from either option.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I know this makes sense because everyone get a fair shot at the current meta game with no changes for the suspect testing through the 2 and a half weeks. But I think I can clearly say if Chi-Yu got quickbanned today majority of the community wouldn’t bat an eye, I mean I don’t think it’s needs a suspect test because it’s going to get banned from either option.
We never once said it was going to need a suspect test; it is very likely to get quickbanned.

But there aren’t quickbans in the middle of major, generation defining suspects either. There haven’t even been quickbans during regular suspects. A Chi-Yu ban would alter the metagame, effectively making the experience of those who laddered at one point very uneven with that of later and potentially lead to decision making biases. With something so consequential as Tera, we virtually have our hands tied until the suspect is over. Once it’s over, we will act quickly as promised.

1LDK

Trial by fury
is a Top Team Rater
MarshtompFreak due to the experience gained.
Just wait untill he becomes SwampertFreakazoid

In other news, I have been trying Corviknight again and oh god its so bad
"Bro just U-turn on the dengo"
yeah, and? congrats, you predicted the dengo switch in, you punished him for a grand total of 5%, and the next guy is gonna take rocks + 2 layers of toxic spikes + 1 of normal spikes if you add ting lu to the mix
"bro corv can wall"
I know im bad at the game but multiple phisical attackers run coverage because it also helps against things like garganacl or dondozo, I have started to seen Fire Fangs on the Roaring Moon for fucks sake, it also sufferss from 4MSS, it has to have Defog and Roost, then the 2 moves, needs Brave Bird for all the fighting types, body press for the dark types but gets walled by ghost, u turn to keep momentum, taunt to semi stop sweepers, even something like bulk up to get something more done

corv is too pasive and I think he needs something more to evolve, i think we need to discover a new set

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Is Chi-Yu likely to get quickbanned after Tera suspect is over, or will there be a suspect test?
It will be voted on to get quickbanned. I know I will be voting ban and I know a few others intend to, but I don’t know the full result yet of course. My guess is it goes via quickban early in January as I said above, but it depends on other council members of course.

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We never once said it was going to need a suspect test; it is very likely to get quickbanned.

But there aren’t quickbans in the middle of major, generation defining suspects either. There haven’t even been quickbans during regular suspects. A Chi-Yu ban would alter the metagame, effectively making the experience of those who laddered at one point very uneven with that of later and potentially lead to decision making biases. With something so consequential as Tera, we virtually have our hands tied until the suspect is over. Once it’s over, we will act quickly as promised.
Yeah I know I’m just talking in general if it was up in the air, but thanks for confirming Finch.

It will be voted on to get quickbanned. I know I will be voting ban and I know a few others intend to, but I don’t know the full result yet of course. My guess is it goes via quickban early in January as I said above, but it depends on other council members of course.
Thanks for answering! Looking forward to January and play OU without the fish roasting every team :)

Just wait untill he becomes SwampertFreakazoid

In other news, I have been trying Corviknight again and oh god its so bad
"Bro just U-turn on the dengo"
yeah, and? congrats, you predicted the dengo switch in, you punished him for a grand total of 5%, and the next guy is gonna take rocks + 2 layers of toxic spikes + 1 of normal spikes if you add ting lu to the mix
"bro corv can wall"
I know im bad at the game but multiple phisical attackers run coverage because it also helps against things like garganacl or dondozo, I have started to seen Fire Fangs on the Roaring Moon for fucks sake, it also sufferss from 4MSS, it has to have Defog and Roost, then the 2 moves, needs Brave Bird for all the fighting types, body press for the dark types but gets walled by ghost, u turn to keep momentum, taunt to semi stop sweepers, even something like bulk up to get something more done

corv is too pasive and I think he needs something more to evolve, i think we need to discover a new set
Since Zone got legal in DLC 1 of SS, Pdef Corvi has been terrible, at least for me. The one you should be using is Sdef with Brave Bird, maybe even Mirror Armor. It still won't be beating Gholdengo, but at least it will able to pivot in and out of it. At the same time, it can escape from even Specs Zone, scout Pult, not get OHKOd by +1 Bulky Volcarona (damaging it severely with Brave Bird) , be a problem for Espathra and most importantly, switch into all moves of Iron Valiant (very dangerous Mon) except Thunderbolt or LO + CC (Corv OHKOs this from full) .

To sum it up, Pdef Corv bad, Sdef Corv better (can't call it good in Gholdengo meta either).

awyp

Since Zone got legal in DLC 1 of SS, Pdef Corvi has been terrible, at least for me. The one you should be using is Sdef with Brave Bird, maybe even Mirror Armor. It still won't be beating Gholdengo, but at least it will able to pivot in and out of it. At the same time, it can escape from even Specs Zone, scout Pult, not get OHKOd by +1 Bulky Volcarona (damaging it severely with Brave Bird) , be a problem for Espathra and most importantly, switch into all moves of Iron Valiant (very dangerous Mon) except Thunderbolt or LO + CC (Corv OHKOs this from full) .

To sum it up, Pdef Corv bad, Sdef Corv better (can't call it good in Gholdengo meta either).
I can vouch for this, I've been using Corvi while laddering I can say SpD is the way to go but man is it weak to physical attacks, no EVs Phys Def = 246. Breloom (Choice Band) just Close Combated and I took 3/4 HP damage.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I’ve been using Taunt Bulk Up Corv with Tera Dragon and speed for Rotom-Wash. It is able to wall most of the same things, but suddenly flip the match-up into roost DDDnite or Fire Punch DDnite while also outlasting Skeledirge and surprising Rotom-Wash. It loses out on utility of course, but similar defensive coverage with a wider array of positive match-ups.

If something is universally quickban worthy why do we have to wait till tera suspect is over? just curious.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
If something is universally quickban worthy why do we have to wait till tera suspect is over? just curious.

Not to be rude or anything, but why not use one of the multiple great ghost types that we have? Especially annihilape, which has stab CC to punish any potential normal teras.
As dumb as it will sound, because I KNOW people will jump on me for it, I'm more of a fun player, so running Ape or Dengo doesn't appeal to me at all. I mean, I could run Ape without Rage Fist, and that can be tolerable... But Dengo I will always have a problem with.

While I know it can be frustrating when not prepared, but terra normal is very counterable. We have better ghost pokemon then ever. Great fighting choices. I have a feeling your teams aren't typically using these types? Dragonite is definitely a threat but so many are running EQ/E-speed/Roost/Dragon Dancethat an air balloon Gholdengo can start attacking, setup, or status with say twave.

On another note... where is the SV sample team thread? I just spent 20 mins trying to find it for reference and I can't locate it.
Yes, Dengo and Ape are both very good. There is also things like Tusk and Valiant... But I don't like running those either. I'm going to sound like a whining child here, but I am not a fan of playing with the Paradox or Ruin mons either. They're so disgustingly meta centralized that it's unironically more fun to build without them and play around them than it is to use them and steamroll.

Honestly, it feels like the OU tier is "Play with 2+ Paradoxes, a Dengo or Ape, and 1+ Ruin mons or lose." And one of those Paradoxes is almost always going to be Tusk or Treads. Then you're paired with Valiant or Moon... And yeah. The ladder has been basically copy paste this formula, it's really not fun. I actually find it to be quite mindless, having just slapped together a team from the top 12 Pokemon in the initial stages of OU's rankings, post Pal/Bundle bans.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Air Balloon Dengo doesn't solve everything. Dnite can still have access to +1 or +2 Fire Punch, Lucario has +2 Crunch or EQ, and Arcanine is Arcanine with Crunch, Flare Blitz, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, or Overheat.

Last edited:
As dumb as it will sound, because I KNOW people will jump on me for it, I'm more of a fun player, so running Ape or Dengo doesn't appeal to me at all. I mean, I could run Ape without Rage Fist, and that can be tolerable... But Dengo I will always have a problem with.

Yes, Dengo and Ape are both very good. There is also things like Tusk and Valiant... But I don't like running those either. I'm going to sound like a whining child here, but I am not a fan of playing with the Paradox or Ruin mons either. They're so disgustingly meta centralized that it's unironically more fun to build without them and play around them than it is to use them and steamroll.

Honestly, it feels like the OU tier is "Play with 2+ Paradoxes, a Dengo or Ape, and 1+ Ruin mons or lose." And one of those Paradoxes is almost always going to be Tusk or Treads. Then you're paired with Valiant or Moon... And yeah. The ladder has been basically copy paste this formula, it's really not fun. I actually find it to be quite mindless, having just slapped together a team from the top 12 Pokemon in the initial stages of OU's rankings, post Pal/Bundle bans.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Air Balloon Dengo doesn't solve everything. Dnite can still have access to +1 or +2 Fire Punch, Lucario has +2 Crunch or EQ, and Arcanine is Arcanine with Crunch, Flare Blitz, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, or Overheat.
I think you would have a great time in UU tbh. It feels a lot more balanced and less overcentralized (don't look at the psychic thing that gets speed boost cm stored power). There's a lot of creativity in team building as well.

To stay on the focus of OU, I've really noticed that most of the meta game this gen revolves around ghost and dark types. Is that just because the ghost and dark types this gen are that good or is there something inherent about those types that are giving them an advantage?

I have a question on that, though. Couldn't it be possible for Chi Yu, an admittedly overpowered pokémon, to skew public perception on the need for a ban to the Tera mechanic as a whole? Mostly because one of the options in the suspect is to keep tera, but for stabs only. I feel like it's possible that this option is made less appetizing by the strength of tera Fire Chi Yu, which amplifies its power to the point where it becomes virtually impossible to tank. Especially because, in my experience, it has been one of the best (or if anything, most common) users of the increased stab mechanic.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I have a question on that, though. Couldn't it be possible for Chi Yu, an admittedly overpowered pokémon, to skew public perception on the need for a ban to the Tera mechanic as a whole?
Maybe, but we didn’t have enough support from the public survey (or even close) over 2 weeks ago to quickban Chi-Yu — the biggest wave of support came a little more recently.

The best way to circumvent this is to likely have another Tera test down the line regardless of the verdict here, which is very possible.

It is impossible to have wholly perfect suspect settings and there are always going to be cries for different priorities, so since it’s such an important matter, it may take multiple formal suspect tests to nail down the best solution and to alienate the impact of outside variables.

The best way to circumvent this is to likely have another Tera test down the line regardless of the verdict here, which is very possible.

It is impossible to have wholly perfect suspect settings and there are always going to be cries for different priorities, so since it’s such an important matter, it may take multiple formal suspect tests to nail down the best solution and to alienate the impact of outside variables.
I see. It's a really difficult situation, I would guess. Since the suspect for tera already started, so you can't exactly suspend it, but on the other hand the consensus on what to do is going to be informed by a meta that's soon going to be made obsolete by other much needed bans. The multiple suspects is probably the best solution.

I think you would have a great time in UU tbh. It feels a lot more balanced and less overcentralized (don't look at the psychic thing that gets speed boost cm stored power). There's a lot of creativity in team building as well.

To stay on the focus of OU, I've really noticed that most of the meta game this gen revolves around ghost and dark types. Is that just because the ghost and dark types this gen are that good or is there something inherent about those types that are giving them an advantage?
Honestly, you aren't wrong. UU is a fair shot more fun than OU to me, but the Tera Normal problem is just as bad down there, if not worse. TN E Speed Lucario and Arcanine both exist (but Lucario is the bigger threat), and TN Boomburst Noivern and Toxtricity exist.

I'm mostly beating a dead horse here (hue hue), but I whole-heartedly feel from both sides of playing with Tera Normal that it's without a doubt the strongest Tera in the game.

Well, Game Freak made 4 part-Dark (sub-)legendaries this generation, of course they're gonna be pushed. (Wo-Chien falling to UU is mainly a matter of its crummy defensive typing, IMO.)

And then Game Freak made a whole bunch of 570-590 BST mons, 4 of which are part Ghost or Dark. We booted Flutter Mane to Ubers, and Iron Jugulis and Brute Bonnet are floundering, but rolling the high BST dice pays off and Game Freak struck it rich with Roaring Moon.

And then Game Freak gave Rage Fist to a Ghost-type mon with decent attack and good bulk, so it can actually take advantage of that breakable attack. (Game Freak also gave Last Respects to at least one Ghost-type mon with non-bunk attack, which got it booted to Ubers.)

And then Game Freak decided that this odd-numbered generation's Magikarp parallel's evolution was going to be worth it being gated to the late-game (seriously, look at Gimmighoul's paltry 2-move level-up movepool), so they gave that evolution a swell defensive typing, a nutty ability, a powerful unique STAB move, and just enough bulk to check what it should (mainly Fairies) and some things it shouldn't. (Fun fact: pre-release leakers indicated that Make It Rain was originally going to be 140-150 BP with no drawbacks, then the test hammer hit. Said leakers also admitted that Good as Gold was overpowered.)

And then Game Freak thought that Bisharp needed an evolution for some reason.

And then Game Freak's endless dice rolling with starters actually gave us 3 viable ones for a change - one of them being a Dark-type with (nerfed) Protean and another one being a Ghost-type with Unaware, Will-O-Wisp, and actual bulk in a meta with more physical attackers than special ones.

So you can definitely argue that Gen 9's Ghost- and Dark-types are pushed.

One thing affecting Dark- and Ghost-types' viability this gen that came from a previous generation, though, is that Dragapult has not been snapped. Partially due to Pult's frailty, Sucker Punchers are up as a result. Choice Scarfers that outspeed Specs/Boots/Band Pult and hit it super effectively get noticeably better as a result. (I suspect Pult is part of why Choice Scarf Heatran didn't get much traction last generation - Scarf Tran cannot outspeed Specs Pult.) Note that Ghosts and Darks have super effective STAB against Pult, and even Scarf Gholdengo outspeeds Specs Pult.

You'd think Iron Valiant would be making out like a bandit in this environment, and it kinda is, but it really doesn't like taking a neutral hit - and the Dark-types can provide plenty of neutral hits to the current highest-tiered Fairy in the meta.

Overall, I'd say that Ghost- and Dark-types being good in this meta is partially - perhaps mainly? - because they're pushed, but other meta considerations such as Dragapult (and Espathra) are pushing them even higher.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I’ve been using Taunt Bulk Up Corv with Tera Dragon and speed for Rotom-Wash. It is able to wall most of the same things, but suddenly flip the match-up into roost DDDnite or Fire Punch DDnite while also outlasting Skeledirge and surprising Rotom-Wash. It loses out on utility of course, but similar defensive coverage with a wider array of positive match-ups.
Dude don’t give away your sets like that, MudkipNerd is still watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)