Would we want a Stealth Rock suspect test? [Read #196]

What do you think about a SR suspect test?

• SR should be suspected and is most likely broken

Votes: 90 17.8%
  • Could be useful, even though SR might not broken

Votes: 165 32.6%
  • Probably not worth it, even though SR might be broken

Votes: 59 11.7%
  • SR should not be suspected and is most likely not broken

Votes: 192 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm not going to commit myself to the idea that 18 or so pokemon have a chance at being OU without SR, but, if the number of pokemon that are not viable solely because of SR, a single factor, even approaches a figure that high, it speaks volumes as to how much SR restricts team building. Honestly, though, it doesn't matter even if zero pokemon were to become OU as a result of banning SR. The restrictiveness of SR on team building goes beyond "I can't use Moltres and friends in OU."

I feel Stealth Rock isn't too much of a problem. Even though it is on practically every team, it can still be played around with all the resists floating around OU.
This is why I think stealth rock is uncompetitive. Not because it is a common sight. Not because it is easy to setup. It just the fact it's very effects discriminates all typings that are weak to rock. Think about it. OU it is typically stuff that can come in on it all day and types that aren't stealth rock weak take up an overwhelming majority of the roster. Now when we compare that to the stuff that is stealth rock weak there are three things that pop up that cause an alarm.

1. The pokemon in ou that are stealth rock weak have a secondary type or raw power or a niche ability that will more often than not take pressence over the rock weak type. Good examples are dragonite, volcarona and Ninetales.

2. There are almost no defensive rock weak types in ou because of stealth rocks prevents their intended purpose. I think of articuno when it comes to this mainly because it has a decent specially defensive typing and it's stats show that was intended and is possibly the most viable sky drop user available. So why is never mentioned even being useful? Stealth rock is the culprit. The doesn't just go to her. Mandibuzz, moltres, torkoal. all of these pokemon that are weak to rock could make some fairly decent walls that could be used in ou, but rocks just stops that.

3. hail and sun are automatically niche weathers due to the fact that both of there weather starters are weak to stealth rocks and require both of there respective weather inducers to have massive support just to consistently set up weather. we can't even see if weather by itself is broken because there effects can beat one another. However stealth rocks, by its very type discriminatory nature, makes sun and hail difficult to use and not worth the time for the most part. Thus making rain superior because sand is weak to rain by it's nature.

To me the very effects stealth rocks has is worth suspecting than anything else. I don't see any other rational course than this because stealth rocks by its own nature makes an unbalanced field on play styles before even building a team

Well no one thought about there is no one Rock move (except for lolancientpower and weaker) with 100% Accuracy?

I don't wanna say that's a reason why SR shouldn't be banned (I said real reasons in a lot of posts there)

Is it really important having 18 other pokèmon -with their flaws- in OU (this means they won't be playable in UU-&lower) ? I don't feel the need of them, really.
Please explain me 3 good reason to have these 18 pokèmon in OU, giving them a chance sounds like a ponyville reason, not a competitive pokèmon reason (I don't wanna sound offensive dude but I still think your argument lacks of competitive points)

lol wtf
Is it really not ok to have versatility in OU just to keep stealth Rock around? The fact that there are that many pokemon that possibly have a shot at OU but cant simply because Stealth Rock limits them speaks loudly as to the unhealthy nature of Stealth Rock.

Also at your silly wtf, I'm simply saying Stealth Rock isn't the only hazard out there. There's Spikes and there's Toxic Spikes. I know this isn't a perfect option which is why I mentioned Rotom-w and Landorus before anyone else could but there are other options even against volt-turn teams if stealth rock were removed.

Stealth Rock is one of the most centralizing and important aspects of the competitive field to date. While I'm not certain whether or not it's broken, I don't think a test would hurt. Without it, huge offensive threats may run free more easily...but then their defensive checks would be more viable, especially those that are hurt by the move.

Sturdy and Focus Sash again become much more effective, and we may see certain niches or pokemon emerge that were otherwise obscured. Even if you don't think stealth rock is broken, I don't see how you could oppose a test. Holding a suspect test would provide concrete evidence for your view.

As a small note, I'd expect a stealth rock-less metagame to shift the balance in favor of defense/bulky attackers. Those frail sweepers who can't secure their KOs will quickly fall out of favor.

Is it really not to have versatility in OU just to keep stealth Rock around? The fact that there are that many pokemon that possibly have a shot at OU but cant simply because Stealth Rock limits them speaks loudly as to the unhealthy nature of Stealth Rock.

Also at your silly wtf, I'm simply saying Stealth Rock isn't the only hazard out there. There's Spikes and there's Toxic Spikes. I know this isn't a perfect option which is why I mentioned Rotom-w and Landorus before anyone else could but there are other options even against volt-turn teams if stealth rock were removed.
Volt-turn teams got surely a real boost without SR, Rotom-W and Landorus are the perfect example to this. Also Scizor (but it suffers Spikes). Spikes setters are less than SR setters and they have to set up for more turns to get a considerely damage as Entry Hazards. Also there will be more pressure on Spikes setters; if you wanna support the ban of SR you can't support your arguments with Volturn Teams, simply.

@Icy Man: Have you ever thought there isn't the material time to do this and to balance the metagame after this ipotetical ban? Don't mind just about OU, think about all lower tiers and the drastical changes that SR-Ban involves in them.

This is why I think stealth rock is uncompetitive. Not because it is a common sight. Not because it is easy to setup. It just the fact it's very effects discriminates all typings that are weak to rock. Think about it. OU it is typically stuff that can come in on it all day and types that aren't stealth rock weak take up an overwhelming majority of the roster. Now when we compare that to the stuff that is stealth rock weak there are three things that pop up that cause an alarm.

1. The pokemon in ou that are stealth rock weak have a secondary type or raw power or a niche ability that will more often than not take pressence over the rock weak type. Good examples are dragonite, volcarona and Ninetales.

2. There are almost no defensive rock weak types in ou because of stealth rocks prevents their intended purpose. I think of articuno when it comes to this mainly because it has a decent specially defensive typing and it's stats show that was intended and is possibly the most viable sky drop user available. So why is never mentioned even being useful? Stealth rock is the culprit. The doesn't just go to her. Mandibuzz, moltres, torkoal. all of these pokemon that are weak to rock could make some fairly decent walls that could be used in ou, but rocks just stops that.

3. hail and sun are automatically niche weathers due to the fact that both of there weather starters are weak to stealth rocks and require both of there respective weather inducers to have massive support just to consistently set up weather. we can't even see if weather by itself is broken because there effects can beat one another. However stealth rocks, by its very type discriminatory nature, makes sun and hail difficult to use and not worth the time for the most part. Thus making rain superior because sand is weak to rain by it's nature.

To me the very effects stealth rocks has is worth suspecting than anything else. I don't see any other rational course than this because stealth rocks by its own nature makes an unbalanced field on play styles before even building a team
The ENTIRE GAME discriminates rock-weak stuff. Bug, fire, ice and flying are horrible typings by nature, weak to a bunch of common and powerful types. Thats why theyre mostly sitting in low tiers. By your logic then we should ban everything that plagues them so they all could be useful. But the fact is this is irrelevant. Some types are better than others, you just have to deal with it. Banning stealth rock wont make hail less of a niche because hail IS NOT used as a regular weather. The entire purpose of hail is preventing other weathers from being used. Bar Kyurem ALL hail abusers are utter crap in ou making it unreliable to be used like you do with other weathers. Sun is plagued by having the worst weather starter available and the worst matchup with other weathers around. Banning rocks wont change that. Also seriously articuno, torkoal, mandibuzz walling? Walling what? Can you explain this further cause i dont see absolutely any use for them in ou. And moltres is a ridiculous niche subroost pressure abuser under rain. Thats the only thing it can do that inst completely outclassed by volcarona. Thats how the type chart was made, some types are bad, other types are good. Nothing will ever change that, with or without stealth rocks.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
@Icy Man: Have you ever thought there isn't the material time to do this and to balance the metagame after this ipotetical ban? Don't mind just about OU, think about all lower tiers and the drastical changes that SR-Ban involves in them.
I talked about this a few posts ago. We have nearly 5 months until X and Y are released, and, considering we don't know what the metagame will be like, we have no reason not to suspect SR, regardless of how much time is left. There's also no reason to talk about lower tiers. We're discussing SR and its presence in OU and nothing else. If other tiers find SR problematic, they can have their own suspect tests. Just to humor you though, let's assume that by banning SR in OU, we ban it in every other tier besides Ubers as well. That's still ok. As much as some people may think that's a terrible attitude to take, the OU metagame takes precedence over the other tiers.

I talked about this a few posts ago. We have nearly 5 months until X and Y are released, and, considering we don't know what the metagame will be like, we have no reason not to suspect SR, regardless of how much time is left. There's also no reason to talk about lower tiers. We're discussing SR and its presence in OU and nothing else. If other tiers find SR problematic, they can have their own suspect tests. Just to humor you though, let's assume that by banning SR in OU, we ban it in every other tier besides Ubers as well. That's still ok. As much as some people may think that's a terrible attitude to take, the OU metagame takes precedence over the other tiers.
Theres no reason to suspect SR in first place. This is just one of the many controversial topics about the metagame and definitely the least important. Theres also no reason not to suspect rocks in lower tiers. The arguments for its suspect can be applied in every single tier.

Well yeah, then when XY will be released nobody cares about BW --old metagame!!--

Answer to this question:

can you tell me why they aren't so broken in DPP than in BW2? The mechanics of this move are not changed, and in DPP there are so many spinblockers than in BW2 (and Rapid Spin was a waste of turn as now, giving chances to statup or switching and something else.). The only difference between DPP and BW2 (further than Drizzle and Drought) is the number of threats, but this is a point in favor to SR.
after that, think about Thundurus-T, Zapdos, Victini, Salamence, Tornadus, Darmanitan, Aerodactyl, Moltres, Kyurem and all these pokèmon without SR and think about how a good defensive team can counter/check all these threats (and others in OU like Scizor, Keldeo, Terrakion, Tyranitar, Latwins, Breloom, Reuniclus etc etc)?

Also sun teams can have more staying power so more possibilities to let their chlorophylle sweepers on the field without fear!

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Theres no reason to suspect SR in first place. This is just one of the many controversial topics about the metagame and definitely the least important. Theres also no reason not to suspect rocks in lower tiers. The arguments for its suspect can be applied in every single tier.
I love all of the reasons you've given for your stance. You're opinions are clearly indisputable facts that have no need of support. Beautiful.

Well yeah, then when XY will be released nobody cares about BW --old metagame!!--

Answer to this question:

after that, think about Thundurus-T, Zapdos, Victini, Salamence, Tornadus, Darmanitan, Aerodactyl, Moltres, Kyurem and all these pokèmon without SR and think about how a good defensive team can counter/check all these threats (and others in OU like Scizor, Keldeo, Terrakion, Tyranitar, Latwins, Breloom, Reuniclus etc etc)?

Also sun teams can have more staying power so more possibilities to let their chlorophylle sweepers on the field without fear!
You're not even talking about whether or not SR is potentially overpowered, which is the topic of the discussion, and are leaping to conclusions about what you think the metagame will look like.

If we banned SR, we would be banning it across all the tiers below OU as well. I don't think anything has ever been banned in a tier yet remained unbanned in the tiers below it. The very idea seems counterintuitive to me; it goes against the whole premise of the tier system, and setting that precedent is more trouble than it's worth.

I love all of the reasons you've given for your stance. You're opinions are clearly indisputable facts that have no need of support. Beautiful.
I didnt gave an opinion. I just stated theres no reason to suspect rocks in the same way you said ''considering we don't know what the metagame will be like, we have no reason not to suspect SR, regardless of how much time is left.''. Dont act like a hypocrite when you know everyone is saying basically the same thing. ''Lets suspect sr because we dont know if its broken''. ''Lets not suspect sr because we dont know if its broken''. But at the end it simply doenst matter because we wont have time to contain the metagame after a possibly ban. Thats why it shouldnt be suspected. Now this is my opinion.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
I didnt gave an opinion. I just stated theres no reason to suspect rocks in the same way you said ''considering we don't know what the metagame will be like, we have no reason not to suspect SR, regardless of how much time is left.''. Dont act like a hypocrite when you know everyone is saying basically the same thing. ''Lets suspect sr because we dont know if its broken''. ''Lets not suspect sr because we dont know if its broken''. But at the end it simply doenst matter because we wont have time to contain the metagame after a possibly ban. Thats why it shouldnt be suspected. Now this is my opinion.
I was referencing another post where I had given my thoughts. I didn't simply posit an idea without supporting it.

Answer to this question:

Plz allow me to answer that question. Stealth Rock is not broken. I know you think I think Stealth Rock is broken but I don't think it's broken. It's unhealthy. It's so very well implemented into the games that nobody has noticed what it does. It severely limits pokemon who would otherwise be OU. It's done this in DPpt as well. We just didn't talk about it at that point.

As for your next question, you have no idea how powerful those pokemon could be. Niether do I. Nobody knows because nobody has played this metagame. It's entirely possible that none of those pokemon would be a huge threat to defensive teams. You also have to consider that not just offensive threats are affected by Stealth Rock. There are defensive pokemon that are affected by Stealth Rock too.

Also I love how you said Sun teams can let their Cllorophyll users switch in with impunity when they can pretty much do that with or without stealth rocks. (You know, considering they're all grass types)

This is an absurd post. You're not even talking about whether or not SR is potentially overpowered, which is the topic of the discussion, and are leaping to conclusions about what you think the metagame will look like.
It seems pretty obvious that SR helps offensive teams to achieve many OHKO/2HKO punishing switches etc etc

That's right.

But talking only about this is selfishly, if you wanna discuss about whether or not SR is "broken", you have to explain pros and cons

pros of a SR Ban: more threats usable in OU, offensive and especially defensive; switching is less punishable, suns and hails can have more chances to have used

cons of a SR Ban: more threats usable in OU (same thing as pros!), especially offensive, abusing of levitaters/flying types (e.g. all pokèmon aforementioned) plus focus sash/sturdy, few time to balance all

The argument "more offensive threats but more defensive threats so nothing will be unbalanced" is not valid. You still have 6 slots to control your game against every threat (assuming you will have more than a battle with many other different teams)

just no.

Also I love how you said Sun teams can let their Cllorophyll users switch in with impunity when they can pretty much do that with or without stealth rocks. (You know, considering they're all grass types)
Well, I'm just considering that sun summoner is weak to SR and sun is not eternal, you have to switch a lot of times your weather summoner if another weather summoned is took on the field. And also SR does 12% at every switch of chlorophylle sweepers and that's something. Not consider only sun sweeper but also who makes chloro sweeping possible, that is Ninetales (in the 90% of times).

The ENTIRE GAME discriminates rock-weak stuff. Bug, fire, ice and flying are horrible typings by nature, weak to a bunch of common and powerful types. Thats why theyre mostly sitting in low tiers. By your logic then we should ban everything that plagues them so they all could be useful. But the fact is this is irrelevant. Some types are better than others, you just have to deal with it. Banning stealth rock wont make hail less of a niche because hail IS NOT used as a regular weather. The entire purpose of hail is preventing other weathers from being used. Bar Kyurem ALL hail abusers are utter crap in ou making it unreliable to be used like you do with other weathers. Sun is plagued by having the worst weather starter available and the worst matchup with other weathers around. Banning rocks wont change that. Also seriously articuno, torkoal, mandibuzz walling? Walling what? Can you explain this further cause i dont see absolutely any use for them in ou. And moltres is a ridiculous niche subroost pressure abuser under rain. Thats the only thing it can do that inst completely outclassed by volcarona. Thats how the type chart was made, some types are bad, other types are good. Nothing will ever change that, with or without stealth rocks.
I am not denying that some types are not as good as others nor am I saying that that anything giving rock weak mons a hard time should be banned. I am saying that stealth rocks makes the list of these said types that can function in ou so few and sets such a high bar required for said types to even be considered usable in ou. Why should Rock weak types that can function in ou be far and few because we want one more hazard.

You think Ninetales is the worst weather inducer. Seriously?! it is one of the only to fire types that can function as one, the other being arcanine, with out being inferior to the other weathers or being broken. Also Hail can be a regular weather, however due to it's only usable starter being abomasnow which is weak to stealth rocks. Forces hail to be what it is today and makes hail stall even more difficult to run than it needs to be.

I probably shouldn't have put articuno as wall more of a sub roost staller but can function under hail. I have used mandibuzz as a special wall in ou and it did prove viable as an answer to a good number of ou mons and could phaze and u-turn, but stealth rocks limits it's ability due to fact it will switch in with almost always 75% health at best so it could never come in on the heavy hits. moltres could serve as a usable sub roost user in sun as it is then granted the ability to serve sun defensively but once again rocks makes that impossible since it will almost always come in at 50% health at best making that a living hell for the poor pheonix. Torkoal can serve as a usable wall that can spin for sun so that your not limited to magic bouncers to counter hazzards.

Well, I'm just considering that sun summoner is weak to SR and sun is not eternal, you have to switch a lot of times your weather summoner if another weather summoned is took on the field. And also SR does 12% at every switch of chlorophylle sweepers and that's something. Not consider only sun sweeper but also who makes chloro sweeping possible, that is Ninetales (in the 90% of times).

Rain is just as eternal as Sun and even more broken. If SR were banned you'd have to treat Sun as rain. If that means having Drought + Clorophyll banned, so be it. Also, about the time you put in your cons. It's entirely possible that Stealth Rock would still be there in 6 gen and still as powerful as it is this gen. We should test it now so we wont have to test it later. Worst case scenario, SR has changed in 6th gen so we'd bring it back.

I am not denying that some types are not as good as others nor am I saying that that anything giving rock weak mons a hard time should be banned. I am saying that stealth rocks makes the list of these said types that can function in ou so few and sets such a high bar required for said types to even be considered usable in ou. Why should Rock weak types that can function in ou be far and few because we want one more hazard.

You think Ninetales is the worst weather inducer. Seriously?! it is one of the only to fire types that can function as one, the other being arcanine, with out being inferior to the other weathers or being broken. Also Hail can be a regular weather, however due to it's only usable starter being abomasnow which is weak to stealth rocks. Forces hail to be what it is today and makes hail stall even more difficult to run than it needs to be.

I probably shouldn't have put articuno as wall more of a sub roost staller but can function under hail. I have used mandibuzz as a special in ou and it did prove viable as an answer to a good number of ou mons and could phaze and u-turn, but stealth rocks limits it's ability due to fact it will switch in with almost always 75% health at best so it could never come in on the heavy hits. moltres could serve as a usable sub roost user in sun as it is then granted the ability to serve sun defensively but once again rocks makes that impossible since it will almost always come in at 50% health at best making that a living hell for the poor pheonix. Torkoal can serve as a usable wall that can spin for sun so that your not limited to magic bouncers to counter hazzards.
We dont ''want'' another hazard. Its just there and just happens to be bad for rock weak mons. With or without hazards they still have their problems so its a moot point. And yes ninetales is the worst weather inducer. Its completely inferior to the other weathers starters and is a useless pokemon overall. And no, rocks DO NOT make hail what it is. The lack of good abusers and more effects is what makes hail a niche anti-meta weather. Stop ignoring the type chart beyond rock. Articuno has 3 resistances/immunities one of which (bug) is completely uselesss because scizor and volcarona already have other stabs to hit you super effectively. It also has 3 crippling weakness and is neutral to everything else. Theres no reason to use it over kyurem as a sub roost user. Mandibuzz is in the same boat. Most of its resistances are useless and has 3 crippling weakness. Theres no reason to use it over something like celebi which resists water and fighting moves or jirachi which resists rock and dragon. And torkoal as a sun spinner? Dude sun wants everything EXCEPT a spinner that is WEAK to the same moves that its weather inducer is. Donphan is always the superior choice due to resisting rock moves and countering common problems for sun such as ttar and terrakion. As you can see these supposedly viable pokemon are actually outclassed by other mons that are already ou to begin with.

SmashBros, I just can't get my head around what you've been saying. X types have problems, including SR. Thus, removing SR, which makes them better, is pointless, because they still have their other problems. This is just absurd. Can't you see that?

Picking through and arguing against the OU viability of various Pokémon which would be benefitted by a SR ban is similarly pointless. There are clearly a significant number of Pokémon which are on the fringe of OU or below which would easily break into it, be more popular in it, or be viable choices in it, without the omnipresence of SR. If you're actually not convinced and want a list of these Pokémon I can provide one to you, on the condition that you stop recycling the same old debunked arguments.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i'm just going to drop one of my dad's words of wisdom here:

"some people are beyond reason"

george i hope that helps you deal with the problem you're facing. in regards to suspecting rocks...why the hell not? if theres clearly a debate over whether or not they are broken it is the duty of the suspect system to resolve that issue. though i would definitely agree that there are more pressing matters that need to be dealt with but the council refuses to deal with (hi politoed)

yeah, no. abomasnow is the worst weather inducer. only decent quality is perfect accuracy blizzards but its too slow to just spam them. aboma is awful and rocks wont help that

SmashBros, I just can't get my head around what you've been saying. X types have problems, including SR. Thus, removing SR, which makes them better, is pointless, because they still have their other problems. This is just absurd. Can't you see that?

Picking through and arguing against the OU viability of various Pokémon which would be benefitted by a SR ban is similarly pointless. There are clearly a significant number of Pokémon which are on the fringe of OU or below which would easily break into it, be more popular in it, or be viable choices in it, without the omnipresence of SR. If you're actually not convinced and want a list of these Pokémon I can provide one to you, on the condition that you stop recycling the same old debunked arguments.
The fact that rocks hurt these pokemon viability doesnt make it suspect worthy. They arent making the game unplayable or uncompetitive. They are indeed a huge problem for those rock weak mons but that is just how it is. Banning stealth rocks would improve their viability at the same time that it reduces the viability of fast frail sweepers and hurts the potential of HO teams by preventing attackers from breaking through their checks and counters. Cant you see that a stealth rock-less game is just a different game with different threats and different unviable or outclassed pokemon? Stop talking about improving viability, diversity or w/e else you want. We will never have a completely balanced metagame, there will always be dominating threats, checks/counters for these threats, supporters for these threats and outclassed shit that do well in lower tiers with their own set of threats.

i'm just going to drop one of my dad's words of wisdom here:

"some people are beyond reason"

george i hope that helps you deal with the problem you're facing. in regards to suspecting rocks...why the hell not? if theres clearly a debate over whether or not they are broken it is the duty of the suspect system to resolve that issue. though i would definitely agree that there are more pressing matters that need to be dealt with but the council refuses to deal with (hi politoed)
No, my reason is perfectly fine. I dont want to waste time suspecting something just for the sake of increasing the viability of low tier pokemons. If theyre more viable without stealth rocks is irrelevant, thats not the point of a suspect. Rocks dont prevent them from being used, they force you to have the right support for it like rapid spin/magic bounce in the same way that using weather teams require support to counter opposing weathers and making your weather starter survive, in the same way that using any two pokemon with similar weakness will require a third one that covers that etc. The fact is its easy to pick on stealth rocks because its a single move. Its easy to blame the low tier status of crap like arcticuno or niche stuff like moltres on a single move. Its easy to say that rocks are restricting teambuilding now when it has always been like that. You need to have counters/checks to top threats, you need to have a way around common strategies, you need to provide the right support for your pokemon. Its also easy to call others ''without reasoning'' without providing any real arguments for your point other than ''why not''.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)