World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

Moving on swiftly.

England v Germany tomorrow.

Will Rooney finally score? Personally I think he will, but I'm not sure if England can beat the Germans. If England were in form then I'd be confident with England, but they're not so they'll probably struggle.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
yeah, the way non-americans play sports is absolute bullshit with the flopping and injury faking

sorry to be a xenophobe but you know it's true, ghana took 10+ minutes faking injuries and the refs refused to call it, just like the americans got mugged in the box and the refs refused to call that, just like the refs stole two goals from america, etc, etc.

there is a reason americans have no respect for overseas players - they cheat any way and every way they can regardless of sport.

still, the us has to play all 90 minutes - they were lucky to be only down 1 after the first half.

America, 1, officiating, 2.
hey some sour gra
pes

ps: ever played rugby

Yeh shit happens, except we have to wait another 4 years to actually watch this team play in the WC again
Everyone has to wait.

See Italy. They were "operated" against South Korea in 2002... and won in 2006.
Ok, Italy has tradition unlike USA...
Sutile troll haa

regime is a tool.

did you even watch the game. complaining about diving and faking injuries look at DEMPSEY!

he fell down around 9 times during the game. Most of them were little to no contact and he went down like an italian. Not to mention edu went down late in the game on a full out dive (he tripped himself) making the ghana player take a yellow and is now suspended for the next game.

so stop being such a fucking homer

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
That's why I will never take soccer/football seriously, the amount of influence players have on refs is astounding. Officiating should be uninfluenced and unbiased, but a simple flop in soccer can have devastating effects on the game. Floppers exist in all sports, most notably the NBA/basketball, but even the refs in basketball tend to ignore flops if they didn't see the entire play, and even if they call a flop a foul, it doesn't affect the game THAT much. From what I've seen in soccer the ref doesn't even have to see the entire play to just throw cards out and get players thrown out of the game. Like the red card against Kaka, total theatrics, how is this even remotely allowed. The sport is a joke when this kind of shit is allowed, the officiating in the World Cup has been abysmal, not just against the US, but I'm pretty sure every match has had some awful officiating moment.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Only bothered watching the first half of the U.S. - Ghana game because I was so disgusted with the holes in our defense and our impotent attack. Ghana definitely deserved to win, and I'll likely be rooting for them or Mexico for the remainder of the tournament.

Still, I'm happy with the way Americans are giving a shit about football now, and that we managed to win, let alone get out of, our group. Hopefully we'll patch up some holes on defense and go farther next tournament.

yeah, the way non-americans play sports is absolute bullshit with the flopping and injury faking

sorry to be a xenophobe but you know it's true, ghana took 10+ minutes faking injuries and the refs refused to call it, just like the americans got mugged in the box and the refs refused to call that, just like the refs stole two goals from america, etc, etc.

there is a reason americans have no respect for overseas players - they cheat any way and every way they can regardless of sport.
MLS teams totally don't spend shitloads of money on overseas players "no american respects"

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
MLS teams totally don't spend shitloads of money on overseas players "no american respects"
And people still don't watch the MLS, Beckham was news for about a week, then no one cared. I guarantee, even after the WC, MLS ratings will have a slight bump, then people will stop caring. Americans love to support our country in sports, but that is the extent of it, MLS won't see a large increase in anything even after this.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Don't NFL players fake injuries all the time to stop the clock? I am assuming this must be why Americans never took that sport seriously.

Obviously I'm kidding here, they wouldnt do that, its not part of their "sports culture".

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I pray to God that Fabio Capello plays this side against Germany:

James
Johnson Upson Terry A.Cole
Lampard Barry
Lennon Gerrard J.Cole/Milner
Rooney​

It'd be hard to drop Milner, but I wouldn't mind seeing Joe Cole start on the left. We'll get more interplay with Ashley Cole if we let him overlap on Cole or Milner, rather than Gerrard. The problem with Gerrard on the left is that he won't hold is position and against better teams than we've faced so far (a la Germany) we'll get caught out. The nation is crying for Gerrard behind Rooney, with two less advanced midfielders and more orthodox wide men.

If the starting 11 is something like that tomorrow and England play well, I'd be very surprised if we lose to Germany. I feel that the current German side is a work in progress and will be an even better side in years to come - but this England side should be at its peak by now, a lot of these players are absolute world class talents, they're just not performing anywhere near how they can.

Come on England!

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't really remember seeing any instances of NFL players going down to stop the clock (though i'm sure there are a few, but to compare it to what happens in soccer games is just ridiculous...at least the NFL players actually get hit before going down). I'm fairly certain if they do it costs their team a timeout anyway.

Anyway, it just looked like USA was too exhausted to keep up the sense of urgency that brought them back against slovenia and gave them the win against algeria. By the 2nd half of extra time we just seemed to be completely out of it. Oh well. This year's world cup definitely got me more into soccer and I'll definitely watch the rest of the cup. Definitely won't come anywhere near MLS though.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't blame American's for not watching MLS. If I'm going to use my time and energy to follow professional soccer, I'm going to be following the Euro leagues. Better games, better players, better teams. Just plain better.

USA losing was disappointing, but at least we went out on our shield. USA needs to learn how to stop playing from behind every game. It may lead to some exciting comebacks, but you may as well just give your opponents a 1-0 lead before the game even starts at this point.

Hopefully they come back in 4 years and show some consistancy. There are flashes of brilliance in that team, but that's all they are right now, flashes. Nevertheless, they had some great games and played well throughout the WC.

As for tomorrow: England vs Germany anyone? I'm expecting a 1-0 game, but hopefully solid play from both sides.

Go England the one team I've been rooting for from the start (even though I hate all the players, the flag makes up for it).

On another note I want to see the japanese players pull out some tricks only they can do, like floating in the air for 2 minutes before a kick or sliding towards a player to steal the ball from across the field.

Disappointed in the way USA played today, Ghana deserved to win. But the whole flopping thing is a joke. Seriously. I agree with those who have said that is why "football" isn't a major sport in America. You can't respect players, who are supposedly adults and work out and train, who crumble to the ground at the slightest touch (or not even that). I mean these guys are tougher than them. It's repulsive and shameful. But whatever.

Anyways, I hope Germany kills England, and Spain wins it all. Gogogo España!

I can't believe people are attributing football's unpopularity in the US to this. This is minor issue, lol. Yes, it does have serious consequences, but it's nothing more than a sad footnote on this great sport. And that's it.

Awwwwwww us lost but Ghana played better so I can't really complain. But at least Uruguay won.

Germany please win england. Yeah Mexico please kick Argentina out too.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Tomorrow we dine in hell....... or eat lunch.... whatever.

I hope Mexico does well, and its a big relief to see fucking Franco wont start and Chicharo will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)