Research What's your least favorite gen 8 pokemon?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Grapploct, Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd, Falinks. VIII introduced 3 pure fighting pokemon, which are all some combo of poor stats, available late, or just boring. They even added 3 fighting type legendaries just to make sure you never use one of these on your team
Late reply, but there is a positive side here: I really appreciate that of the three aforementioned pure Fighting types (and one of the Legendaries), none have the typical humanoid body shape that is so common among Fighting-types, ever since Gen I. Granted, Urshifu jumps right back into that stereotype, but generally they did a decent job of avoiding the "every Fighting-type is a human martial artist" cliché this generation.

As for my least favourite, I harbour a searing hate for Inteleon. "Jobification" of a Pokémon taken to the logical extreme, and made even worse by the fact they just straight up gave a Pokémon a gun with the G-Max. Inteleon doesn't even look like a man in a costume, it looks like a man in body paint. This design is all-around awful. Cinderace follows close behind for closely related reasons. We're approximately 0.3 steps away from just making the Pokémon speak like humans too. Fair enough when it's an animalistic Pokémon like Meowth, but beyond creepy when it is a "man in a costume" design.

Late reply, but there is a positive side here: I really appreciate that of the three aforementioned pure Fighting types (and one of the Legendaries), none have the typical humanoid body shape that is so common among Fighting-types, ever since Gen I. Granted, Urshifu jumps right back into that stereotype, but generally they did a decent job of avoiding the "every Fighting-type is a human martial artist" cliché this generation.

As for my least favourite, I harbour a searing hate for Inteleon. "Jobification" of a Pokémon taken to the logical extreme, and made even worse by the fact they just straight up gave a Pokémon a gun with the G-Max. Inteleon doesn't even look like a man in a costume, it looks like a man in body paint. This design is all-around awful. Cinderace follows close behind for closely related reasons. We're approximately 0.3 steps away from just making the Pokémon speak like humans too. Fair enough when it's an animalistic Pokémon like Meowth, but beyond creepy when it is a "man in a costume" design.
You hit the nail with Cinderace. Meowth talking is endearing, charming, and funny because he's clearly not supposed to do that. Cinderace looks like it could start speaking words and it wouldn't look that unusual, which is why I dislike Cinderace.

And like I don't usually have a problem with these designs as long as they're good designs, but Cinderace is honestly just stupid looking

Inteleon is revolting. Truly the nadir of Pokemon designs. It looks like salad fingers in a zentai suit with a shoddy lizard mask on. It's too texture-less, too skinny, too humanoid. It's entire gig is finger gun hehe which is incredibly corny but then they went and gave it a sniper rifle (wtf?) as a Gmax.

Cinderace is not great but I think the concept could work if they tweaked it. Proper arms, ""clothes"" that look more organic, and more animalistic. Much like Fennekin/Braixen, Scorbunny/Raboot would have been a sufficient 2-stage Fire family that doesn't jump the shark by stage 3. (In defense of Delphox: I don't care much for it however it's not bad).

Stonejourner looks like a Kirby power combo of Stone + Patrick in fishnets. Maybe it's too high fashion for some people! The only bad thing about it is that stat spread.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)