Research What's your least favorite gen 8 pokemon?

I also hate Zigzagoon/Linoone/Obstagoon because Zigzagoon and Linoone were one of these Normal Types that were pretty decent on their own. Obstagoon is Linoone's new evolution in its Galarian form. But its additional Dark Type makes it 4x weaker to Fighting Types and also weak to Bug and Fairy Types. Obstagoon has a very strong defense and special defense statistics. But that's really it, it can take a hard hit but they're not the Pokemon you want to put in the frontlines.
...............png

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I think the Galar starters' final form designs collectively speaking work way better when they're in action imo than when they're in an idle pose.

It's kind of that case where they really look at their best in the midst of battle pulling off their signature moves, and considering their schticks I think their designs were specifically made to look good in action, especially after seeing Inteleon and Cinderace in action in the anime.

Rillaboom granted is a design I like even while it's not battling, since its movement in Pokemon Camp and its idle poses are pretty nice and the design itself looks natural, but collectively all three look a lot cooler when they're battling and pulling off their stunts. In that sense, it's why I like Rillaboom the best since it's just a neat and natural looking design for a gorilla (granted I guess I also just happen to really like monkeys considering Infernape is my favorite Gen 4 starter).

Case in point, here's all three of them using their signature moves.

Honestly when you look at them like that, they look a lot cooler in the midst of performing their battle moves. This is in stark contrast to past starters who looked nice even when not in the midst of battle or just in a standard sprite pose, and the older starters' designs were designed to work with 2D sprites in mind.

Namely, the Gen 1-4 starters:

You can see that back in the olden days before Gen 5 when sprites were not fully animated and everyone was just locked into a singular pose, the first four generations' groups of starters had more animalistic designs that worked best in the midst of a singular pose in battle and they all look badass as hell in such epic poses.

Meanwhile Gen 5 is in a bit of a middle position where the sprites were fully animated, and you can tell the designs worked with that in mind.

These designs are in a weird middle ground between animalistic and anthropomorphic and yet, for the Gen 5 animated sprites, they do look pretty damn good in that context.

Gen 6 onwards you can see that they're leaning more on the anthropomorphic starters, but this is the 3D era we're looking at now, and we have 3D models instead of sprites. And while the idle poses are all pretty boring, the schtick of the 3D models is many mons have special attacking animations in battle.

Take, for example, the Gen 6 and Gen 7 starters, with their models executing their moves.

For the Alola ones, feast your eyes on them as well as their Pokemon Amie appearances:

Or their Z-Moves, for instance:

You can see the more recent gen starters' designs are at their best when they're animated and pulling off attacks in battle. In spite of hat you may think about them when looking at their designs in a vacuum, they were definitely designed to look good while animated.

ESPECIALLY with Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon's G-Max forms and their G-Max moves:

As you can see with the advent of 3D models all of these starters work best while animated, and less while in a singular stance.

Now as for my opinion on Cinderace (and the Galar starters as a whole), personally, I still like Kalos and Alola's starters more than the Galar starters. I think the Alola and Kalos starters, while leaning on anthropomorphic in design, still look fairly natural and are pretty subtle (yeah Incineroar isn't but it's not quite as humanoid as Cinderace). I think I'm ultimately more fond of the Galar starters in action, even if I think they take the anthropomorphic aspect of design a step too far (particularly Inteleon), but I warmed up to them after seeing them in action and seeing Cinderace and Inteleon in the anime. I can see why Cinderace would be off putting to many though, and as I said, I think they are a little *too* anthro to be honest, but I can also see what would draw people to like them at the same time.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I like Rillabooms design but the drum is so stupid. How would it even battle in the Anime?

They really should've made him use his chest or stomach as his drum, you know, like how gorillas do in real life
I prefer Rillaboom over the other two fully evolved Galar starters by a wide margin too, and I did just that in my remixed design of Rillaboom while putting slightly more emphasis on the Grass part.

I a few more of my least favorites when it comes to Galar Pokémon. I don’t hate them per se, just pretty underwhelming.

:ss/pincurchin:
Game Freak did fell back into single-stage Pokémon that are either have a painful feels of incompleteness or is way too gimmicky, didn’t they? (Cramorant is a fine bird though, Gulp Missile is strong in-game.)

Pincurchin is pretty slow and also a master-of-none when it comes to pure Electric type. While Electric Terrain gives it a niche, it is not even bulky enough to really compete with Tapu Koko. The only thing going for it is instant 140 BP Rising Voltage, but Tapu Koko have a lot others such as using its very high Speed to set up Reflect + Light Screen, can run Choice Specs as it is already very fast, or Choice Scarf to revenge kill.

:ss/nickit: + :ss/thievul:
I understands the average base stats as it is supposed to perform early game. It’s level movepool alongside Nickit’s is way too physical oriented desptie its special oriented statline ended up making it more cumbersome than it is worth without relying so much on TRs, and it have to reach level 52 to get Parting Shot. Were it obtain it much earlier, it will have a niche over the Galarian Zigzagoon line, who otherwise completely eclipse it in terms of utility.

It also naturally learns Nasty Plot despite having only Snarl as its level-up Special move.

The only thing going for it are their design, especially Thievul’s.

:ss/eevee-gmax:
I do not like when the forms are used solely for sake of merchandises, but Gigantamax Pikachu is at least amusing enough, being a subtle throwback to its older design, that I can overlook it for this time.

Gigantamax Eevee, however? Now that’s a form that falls flat for me! It doesn’t even refer its Eeveelutions through its designs or its G-Max move, and just making it a lot fluffier alone and much bigger ears doesn’t even scream “gigantic” without the Dynamax clouds. Even Eevee’s signature Z-Move in Gen 7 and Partner Eevee from Let’s Go Eevee directly the Eeveelutions!

G-Max Eevee really undersells what made Eevee so appealing in the first place - the ability to evolve from three to eight Pokémon so far - and if that trend continues, people will ends up getting tired of Eevee, or worse, unfairly the whole Eeveelution line. I mean, yikes, that is a Gigantamax that just screams “wasted opportunity”!

Dishonorable Mentions (in no particular order): :Eiscue-Noice:, :Stonjourner:, :Boltund: and :Yamper:, :Morpeko:, :Mr. Mime-galar:, :Gengar-Gmax: and :Copperajah-Gmax:

:Mr. Rime:
While the members of its line (- the baby form) is creepy, I find Mr. Rime even creepier than 3ds era Mr. Mime. Sure it might not look like that in first glance but then you notice the face on its head is unchanging but the one in its stomach does!

:Skwovet: and :Greedent:
These two just looked dumb imo, while sure there a few more dumb looking mons this gen introduced but if I have to give an award for the dumbest of gen 8 then its this two.

:Meowth-Gmax:
Sure some G-max forms look ridiculous like Gengar and Copperajah's, but I find this one to be the worst. To this day I can't believe that Gamefreak decided to give Meowth a new form based on an ancient meme. It doesn't help that its the weakest of the three unevolved G-max forms but at least you can grind money with this.

:Rillaboom: :Cinderace: :Inteleon:
Yes, all three Galar starters. This would be the only gen where I would box my starter if it wasn't for the fact that I skipped SwSh outright. I found all three of them to be completely outright HIDEOUS. While sure the starters final forms have gotten more humanoid since gen 6, but it reached the point of being uncanny when it comes to this gens starters. Rillaboom is the least ugly of the bunch, but the fact that it just comes with a drum right out of nowhere is just dumb AND its still look humanoid enough that when I saw it I thought of Tarzan first, gorilla second. Tbh if anyone asked which is uglier between Cinderace and Inteleon I would say its a tie but I'm going with dex order here, so I'm going to talk about Cinderace first.

Where do I begin with Cinderace? First of all this one is the most humanoid of the three. Its actually so humanoid that it BARELY resembles a rabbit at all. While sure all three Galar starters are derisively referred to as "Furry Bait" by some fans, but the one that deserves that title the most is Cinderace. In fact the only rabbit trait it kept was the tail as even its ears resembles a hairdo more than anything. It got pants and I guess it got a top too but the coloring makes it look shirtless. Maybe when furry cons can open again I can imagine at least one person wearing a Cinderace fursuit.

To round out our terrible trio we have Inteleon. The thing is just rife with anatomy issues. Its body is so thin that I could snap it in two like a twig. Its hands, feet and even head are way too big for something so skinny. Pokemon Wack gives us an accurate depiction of how I felt regarding Inteleon. When Sobble evolves while it knows Future Sight (because it saw what it will turn into) its tail became a noose and when it evolves again it becomes Water/Ghost.

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~

Last edited:
Galarian Meowth & Perrserker before I saw it from the side: wow incredible A+ design, I love my litearl fuzz-ball gremlin viking cats

And then I saw them from the side and it was clear that was meant to be an actual beard and not "fuzz-ball body that LOOKS like a beard" so now they have this horrid growths hanging off their faces and i haaaaaaate it. Perrserker does better to hide it so I don't dislike it as much as Meowth-G

Reiterating Scrafty's post, I think part of the reason I'm fine with the Gen 6 starters (except Greninja) and the Gen 7 starters is, despite being humanoid, they still feel like animals in some way. Yes, Incineroar is a bipedal, wrestling cat, but his sausage fingers, goofy proportions overall make him oddly feel not too humanoid? All of that (plus his personality) make me love it's design. Cinderace doesn't really feel like that, it really does just look like someone in a bunny costume, and if it had normal sized hands it'd be even more uncanny.

Pokemon looking like it has clothes doesn't automatically make it look bad, the problem is with how it's implemented. Gardevoir is wearing a dress but it still looks incorporated into part of it's body. It flows naturally, it looks natural. Cinderace though, it literally is just wearing pants, and you can't convince me otherwise. Even Inteleon incorporates the "suit" way better into its design. Honestly if Inteleon didn't have Yaoi hands it'd probably be my favorite of the Galar starters.

Anyway here's some more Gen 8 Pokes I don't care for

:ss/blipbug:
Blipbug. This one is stupid, but luckily it has awesome evolutions. But that doesn't save it from looking really dumb

:ss/Boltund:
What did they do to you Yamper? Why is it so smooth? Why does it's eyes look...crazed? Way to ruin a good design and concept. I've realized that I'm not a fan of electric dogs (I don't like Boltund and I don't like Manetric)

:ss/copperajah-gmax:
I don't care about Copperajah. It's fine, not great, but not bad. GMax Copperajah looks really fucking stupid. I like a lot of the Gmax forms. I think Gmax Gengar, for example, is fucking awesome. Even the ones I don't care for I still think are ok. Not this one. All it is just a big version of Copperajah on two legs with a comically large trunk. But there's nothing comical about this large trunk. This design stinks.

:ss/Duraludon:
It looks like a dildo. Normally I think dick Pokemon are funny cause I'm an immature little shit. Not Duraludon. Mostly because it doesn't look funny, just stupid, and it wastes such a cool typing on this thing. Booo

(My list of least favorite pokemon of Gen 8)
.........png
Farfetch’d is trying, it really is. After generations of being an unfortunate meme and running joke of the series, this battling bird kicked things up a notch for Sword and Shield. It was given a Fighting-type Galarian form, a bit of a stat buff and, most importantly, an evolution. Sirfetch’d boasts some quite impressive Attack power, but it’s still frail. It’s also tough to make the best use of it with its low Speed. Ultimately, Farfetch’d has been buffed quite nicely, but it’s still Farfetch’d.

.........jpg

All in all, Corsola is in a very similar boat to Farfetch’d. It’s a Pokemon that has largely been completely ignored since its introduction, a Water/Rock critter with no real assets worth boasting about. Its Galarian form and evolution have really mixed things up, though. Galarian Corsola is a Ghost-type with slightly different stats to the regular Corsola. It also has an evolved form, Cursola, which boasts formidable Special Attack and Special Defense. Its Speed is super low, though, necessitating Trick Room. These virtues don’t quite make up for the shortcomings of Galarian Corsola itself.

.........png

i have Galarian Meowth. It differs from vanilla Meowth in that it’s a little stronger and bulkier, a good deal slower and much, much furrier. It’s also a
steel-type, so that’s nice too.To be fair to Galarian Meowth, its evolved form can be a force to be reckoned with in the right situations. Perrserker, like Cursola and Sirfetch’d, is quite powerful and has some nifty tricks up its hairy sleeves. It’s just too slow to be veryviable. Of the three, it probably has the least potential.

.........png

Quite possibly the least-likely Dragon-type of all time, Applin is one of the most interesting curveballs in the Sword and Shield roster. This adorable little thing is a Grass/Dragon Pokemon that evolves into one of two (equally cute) final forms. It becomes Flapple when a Tart Apple is used on it (found in Pokemon Sword) and Appletun when exposed to a Sweet Apple (available In Pokemon Shield). Flapple is more of a standard physical attacker, while Appletun is a special attacking tank (with terrible Speed). Both are quirky, unusual picks, so Applin gets some kudos for that. It doesn’t have much to offer itself, but it is worth the effort to raise.

.........png

Along with generic-looking fish Pokemon, each new generation of games also tends to feature a feeble Bug-type. Along with Ice, Bug is often regarded as the worst typing in the series, and that reputation’s got to be maintained. Which is why, when you came across the pathetic-looking Blipbug very early in your adventure, you might well have disregarded it entirely.As its evolution line progresses from Blipbug to Dottler to Orbeetle, it does become a little better. As a Bug/Psychic pokemon with access to great supportive moves, Orbeetle isn’t all that bad; it just has far too many weaknesses to really work as the defensive Pokemon it desperately wants to be.

.........png

Yeah, I get it, Stonjourner is a reference to the Stonehenge arches. And while that is a cute homage, it doesn't excuse the poor design. There are different categories of Pokemon designs based on who you ask, but among all of them there's at least a it more effort put into them than "drawing an arch and adding a smiley-face".To be fair, Stonjourner has some pretty unique animations and a pure-rock typing that leads to some great STAB-move potential, but that's about it. In competitive,it's outclassed in every way, and in casual play, there's nothing really unique about its moveset. Power Spot is a neat ability for Double battles, but that's all the credit we can give it.

.........png.........jpg

Now here's a Pokemon with a dorky design and a fantastic ability. Ice Face is Eiscue's bread and butter. Basically, the first physical-type move to hit this cubed penguin will do 0 damage, and it'll transform into Noice form (get it? Nice? No-Ice?). That alone is pretty good, but it regenerates it's ice-form in hail, which makes for some pretty annoying move set potential. Honestly, Eiscue seems like one of the best "competitive" Galar Pokemon, but that design is so lame Not because it's a bad idea or anything, it's just a poor execution. Its body looks exactly like a penguin's rather than being similar with a bit of fantasy thrown in, The Ice-Head should've had a bit of transparency, and the head and body design's clash horribly. We love the concept, just not the execution.

.........png

And speaking of Pokemon that have awesome Gigantamax designs but poor base designs, there's Duraludon. Un-Gigantamax'd, Duraludon suffers from the problem a decent amount of the newer pokemon deal with, it's way too "edgy" or "blocky". At first glance, Duraludon looks like a hodgepodge of awkward shapes, and taking a closer look doesn't help all too much. But, the Gigantamax form where the UK's Shard Tower theme truly comes into play is where Duraludon makes up for it. And, it's potential isn't too bad either, since it can have either Light Metal or Heavy Metal as an ability, a property unique to only this Pokemon.

.........png

Man, Rolycoly just looks awful compared to its evolutions. We had some issues with Blipbug's design thesis and felt it could have been better done, but Rolycoly is just a bad design. The Pokedex says it's supposed to resemble a small piece of coal, but it looks more like multiple pieces.It's a mess of shapes, much in the same way Roggenrola starts to look with each evolution. Luckily, both Carkol and Coalossal are awesome in every sense of the word.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Someone's gonna have to teach me how to implement Pokémon sprites and/or models onto my posts at some point, if any of you wouldn't mind helping me with that. If the choice is available, sprites over models because they take up less screen space and aren't garbage like some models are. Looking at you, flame-less Typhlosion.

But anyways, new Generation 8 Pokémon that we like. I have three of them that I'd like to talk about.

1. Obstagoon
(Reminder to me to insert sprite/models below their names)

My like for this Pokémon actually began very, very recently. For reasons I've posted about in other threads, I love the idea of regional variants, and while some fans may prefer tradition cross-generation evolutions, there is actually biological precedent for "regional evolutions" as I like to call them, and Obstagoon was the first one we ever saw. For me, Zigzagoon is tied with the universally hated Patrat (it was my first ever random Shiny, okay, cut me some slack!) for being my favorite Normal-Type regional earlygame rodent, and to top it all off, something pretty cool happened regarding Obstagoon on my birthday last year. If anyone knows who "False Swipe Gaming" is on YouTube, their weekly Sunday spotlight was for Linoone & Obstagoon that week by virtue of a patreon pick and extra time being required for their Charizard remake. (I won't be posting a link here since I'd rather ask for their permission but typically they never go back to older videos so it's not like anyone would see my comment.)

Also, it's about da** time we had a Dark-Type Gym, and I respect Piers using one as his strongest Pokémon and sticking to a more traditional battle, which is to say no Dynamax/Gigantamax. Not to mention that it just fits the dude perfectly :D

2. Toxtricity

Story time. I like Poison-Types as of 2019 as a result of my history with finding Shiny ones. Toxel and its evolution were the only fresh new Generation 8 Poison-Types not counting regional variants such as Weezing and the Slowpoke evolutions. Toxtricity also has a pretty cool looking Gigantamax form. Pokémon Sword & Shield came out in 2019, and there happens to be a gift Toxel the player could pick up on... I believe it was Route 5.

You can probably see where this is going. You bet I was all over the idea of Shiny Hunting that gift Toxel and eventually training one up, finally completing my long overdue dream of finishing a soft-reset hunt for the first time. Except not, because as it turns out, gift Pokémon were Shiny locked in Generation 8 and I didn't know about this change for an entire two and a half months. Something about this story stuck with me ever since then, with Toxel & Toxtricity becoming a sort of dream Shiny for me, right up there with Shiny Poipole & Naganadel.

3. Inteleon

Here's another controversial opinion. Greninja and Cinderace are probably my two least favorite starter Pokémon evolution lines in the franchise. Too much anime & game fan-service, and I don't like their hidden abilities. With the single exception of Incineroar ruining Litten's family, I've always had consistent opinions about a starter Pokémon's evolution line. Grookey's evolution line was pretty decent I suppose, but the question remained. What about the Water-Type option? Between Squirtle, Totodile, Piplup, and Popplio, I'd developed a fondness for the Water starters over my time as a Pokémon fan. I liked Grookey and Sobble pretty much equally, so much so that it was impossible to pick between those two. I wasn't much of a Scorbunny fan from the start, sadly.

Aaaand that's when I learned about Inteleon for the first time. Somehow, this thing managed to take my two least favorite fully evolved Starter Pokémon ever and combine the parts I did enjoy about them into an absolute masterpiece. The idea of the sad and timid (which funny enough is a great nature for one) Sobble going through an intense emotional growth and eventually becoming something it's always dreamed of being is incredibly heartwarming as well as totally relatable.

And... come on. This thing is a literal British intelligence agent equipped with an aquatic bolt-action sniper rifle for a signature move and its own sniper tower for its G-Max form. That's freaking dope.

In order to put sprites just put the Pokemons name in between two colons

:Infernape8: without the 8

:infernape:
This works with all Pokemon

If you ever want to do a model or moving sprite, do :bw/Infernape8: or :sm/Infernape8:

:bw/Infernape: :sm/Infernape:

The moving sprite only works with Pokemon that were created in Gen 5 and below, anything in 6 and after can only use the 3D model

Last edited:

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
This is a bit sudden, but can someone do me a solid and delete that post I just made earlier? Maybe a moderator or something? I only just now noticed that this was the "least" favorite thread and not the "most" favorite one. Thanks in advance. You can delete this one too if need be. :D

Edit: Thanks to Chadlad50 for the help on sprites and models :D

1630286603815.png

Yeah, like, sure...take a segment of the ancient burial ground Stonehenge and turn it into a Pokemon, one of the most notable British heritage sites thanks to its sheer age. It feels vaguely disrespectful to some degree although I'm not entirely sure if it's "right" to feel that way. I dunno, just feels weird to do this at all. It should have really just been a location that you visit to get resources or something like that.
Did y'all fall asleep when you got to Turffield or something?

This is like, the 3rd or 4th post talking about it when the whole area is inspired on Stonehenge. You even jump off some fallen pillars for crying out loud. :smogduck:

As for my nomination. Big Greedent.

No. Just no. I'm not shaking a Berry tree. I don't wanna risk seeing it. The one time I did, I, fortunately, had Urshifu ready to immediately Close Combat it to oblivion.

You know I feel like ruining my chances of being taken seriously: I like Stonjurner. It's not a particularly great design but I think it's cute and charming.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that I don't like Spectrier. I don't hate it, but I don't think it really fits Calyrex or the region that much. Glastrier makes sense. Frozen horse in a frozen landscape. Why's Spectrier here? Cause it died? Fine, but it doesn't look nearly as cool as Ice horse. It kinda looks like an edgy regional variant of Rapidash.

Also it led to Calyrex-Shadow which is the most infuriating Pokemon to fight in competitive Pokemon but that's for a different thread

Pincurchin, Appletun and Arctovish.
EDIT: These are my favourites, not the least favorite :D

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
You know I feel like ruining my chances of being taken seriously: I like Stonjurner. It's not a particularly great design but I think it's cute and charming.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that I don't like Spectrier. I don't hate it, but I don't think it really fits Calyrex or the region that much. Glastrier makes sense. Frozen horse in a frozen landscape. Why's Spectrier here? Cause it died? Fine, but it doesn't look nearly as cool as Ice horse. It kinda looks like an edgy regional variant of Rapidash.

Also it led to Calyrex-Shadow which is the most infuriating Pokemon to fight in competitive Pokemon but that's for a different thread
Well, every Pokémon have their fans, so you are not alone on liking Stonjourner. That little face over the big stones do give it a charm over, say, Eiscue.

Spectrier, while really screams “unoriginal” stat wise as it is basically a faster, harder hitting Gengar / Mismagius that can snowball especially if united with Calyrex, do have a relation with how life-barren the Crown Tundra can be at times, as there aren’t many non-legendary Pokémon added back to the Crown Tundra. It also contrasts with its dark body with Glastrier‘s white body.

We can resonate that Glastrier is the cooler one, pun intended.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor

Stonjourner (how is that spelled lol) is far from the least interesting Pokémon ever. But what I wanna look at here is Spectrier.

Basically, the whole Calyrex subplot is based off of this old... I think it's Scottish? legend about some black horse that ran around all over the place and ruined things. I can barely remember how the story went (there's stuff on Spectrier's Bulbapedia page on this), but Spectrier is meant to represent the black horse from that story. Glastrier on the other hand was probably added as a counterpart to Spectrier, allowing the duo to work with the black and white color mechanic and more accurately represent the Crown Tundra's ice-cold climate.

In simple words, the most accurate horse they could have made was a black colored Ice-Type horse, but they didn't do that because Calyrex needs its fusion forms or whatever.

I am not fond of 40% of the Gen 8 designs but the dinosaur fossils take the teacake.

Yes, I am aware of the lore and consider it imaginative and a nice nod to history. The designs are still putrid.

As an Anglophile, I really can't believe that my favorite generation for designs is from a region based off France. I guess I will pretend that the Pokemon version of Henry V actually succeeded in his goal. Pokemon world medicine for the win! We happy few, indeed.

Last edited:
Grimmsnarl, obstagoon and appletun.

Grimmsnarl just looks bad to me, and I do not like the green goblin Grimm connection considering the... connotations.
Obstagoon is very weirdly anthropomorphic with noodle body proportions, and the entire design feels rushed. Doesn't connect well to the line.
Appletun, because it looks like it has a gigantic pimple on its back.

Dishonorable mention to cinderace and inteleon for being humans with costumes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)