Project What's Their Last? v2 [Week 24: Voting phase]

Making this post a bit earlier, but regardless congratulations Smallsmallrose for winning this week with your Jellicent submission. The original Pokemon was actually Slowbro on this original squad to help with the fighting type match-up and providing a water switch-in. Jellicent also working extremely well at covering these issues, but providing a water immunity which eases the Prima match-up even more. Well done everyone for also acknowledging these weaknesses and submitting accordingly. I really loved all these potential options! Thank you Nightingales for submitting the team last week, hopefully you like some of these options for your team too.
Smallsmallrose - 5
Endal - 3
Sickist - 1

Here is the team being featured for Week 5:

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Refresh
- Roost

"A team built around Sub Gengar. Ghostium Gengar is used here to punch through Bulletproof mons and to also break bulky ground types easier. Krookodile provides speed control and compresses a lot into one role. Traps Latias and opposing ghost types which could prove to be annoying, utilizing Crunch for Latias and Celebi. Cobalion caught my eye as a Mon that appreciates these ground types being lured while setting rocks. It can also scare scarf dark types from spamming their stab to deal with this team. Starmie shows up next as my spinner. Kept up the offensive pressure and momentum this team needed than something like Tentacruel. Mega-Altaria rounds it off as my check to Hydreigon and another Ape check. Running the Refresh Malt variant to have the ability to break through stall. What's my Last?"

Get your submissions in by Wednesday guys ^_^​

MeeMoon78

Banned deucer.
Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

I noticed most of the Pokemon in the team lacked some form of recovery so i added Florges to wish pass and heal status conditions.
Florges manages to swap into attacks used against gengar whereas gengar can swap into poison moves used against florges.

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
This is a team with various things greatly appreciating high-value threats down and out. Big, heavy-hitting water-types are way up there, with specs Primarina killing something more or less every time it wants to come in, both Crawdaunt and Sharpedo can hassle team members, Scizor looks like a pain in the ass, and some more. I present Colbur Celebi as a fitting last member, able to shred every problematic water type, easily remove things like Scizor which run amok, and generally weaken bulky things for Altaria to clean out late-game.

Last edited:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
While crunch Krook is nice and all, the team lacks an actual proper Latias switchin. The team also loses something the second Terrak is given a free turn, possibly the whole game if it's Rock Polish Terrak. This team also hates Aero-Mega, who can prove a major problem for this team considering the Krook lacks edge and Aero can clean up a number of this team's members. the team also likes something that makes the Scizor matchup a little easier. Doublade can do all of these things. It can check Lati, check Aero, check Terrak, and can help vs band Scizor and SD variants lacking knock.

I need to make this post a day early this week, so you get an extra day for submissions. Congratulations Smallsmallrose for winning this week yet again. The original Pokemon was Rotom-H to ease the Scizor match-up, provide a flying resist and lure in Pokemon like Latias. I think the Doublade suggestion works very well here, patching up all of these things as well as easing the Maero match-up. Well done everyone else for their submissions as well and thank you BackAtYouBro for providing the team last week.
Smallsmallrose - 4
Nightingales - 1

Here is the team being featured for Week 6:

Swampert @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Facade

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 8 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Haze

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

"I built this team around Choice Band Swampert which is a very underrated set. My first thought was to partner it with Sylveon, whom can pass Wish and Cleric support to it while giving me a Hydreigon, Malt, Latias check. Tentacruel acts as the teams form of hazard removal which also checks Ape, Lucario etc. which could prove to be an issue. Toxic Spikes being nice for wearing down checks and easing the stall / balance match-up. SD Buginium-Z acts as a Lati check, wincon and breaker. It helps with breaking through a lot of the bulky Pokemon like Suicune, Hippo, Amoong. Finally, Maero acts as a form of speed control and the SR user on the team to bluff Swampert being the traditional defensive rocker. It appreciates this team having these breakers for it to easily clean up in the end game. What’s my last?"

Get your submissions in by Wednesday guys ^_^

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

The team has an extremely sketchy Aero-mega matchup, with Swampert not having leftovers and getting 3HKOed by Aqua Tail or Wing attack, Sylveon being a borderline 2HKO, and Scizor not being able to OHKO Aero-mega without prior chip while struggling to switch in. Reuniclus eases the Aero matchup while also providing an alternative wincon that gives further assurance against various bulky teams that could prove an uphill battle for Bug-Z Scizor alone.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
The team has very little couterplay to crawdaunt, especially since the scizor is not a fast offensive variant, with crawdaunt able to come in and claim kills on most of the team, albeit needing a safe switch in on most of them. It also has some trouble with other strong physical pokmon like terrakion, opposing banded swamperts, SD cobalion (if tentacruel can be chipped) mixed zeraora, which may not necessarily be able to come in on all the pokemon or may have offensive checks, but will be able to claim free kills if they do.

Also if a vincune manages to get up a sub vs the team, it is essentially game over if tentacruel is ever crippled by anything else. In order to rectify these points, a chesnaught would work nicely.

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Roar

Chesnaught offers to help check and slowly chip away at these physical wallbreakers **, and also helps to add a more reliable scizor answer at same time incase the scizor is offensive knock off or another variant that could hurt the other checks to it on team. It also adds a nice defensive countermeasure to stuff like vincune, and stuff that might want to try and set up on it through roar, and offers some chip damage from hazards too.

Moreover, spikes also help patch up the fact that the only hazard control is by tentacruel, by putting the pressure on the enemy to control the hazards instead of you through hazard stacking, with chesnaught finding many easy opportunities to set up spikes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** - While chesnaught still gets 2hkoed by a banded close combat from terrakion, it will chip it largely with rocky helmet if it attempts, and willl take absolutely no damage from any other moves. Drain punch will also be an ohko after a close combat and recover about 40% hp, so chesnaught will be able to beat any terrakion if its given a free swap in, or if its a SD set not carrying fightinium (or if it can be baited).

Last edited:

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

The team in it's current state lacks speed control, kinda just loses at preview to Crawdaunt, and Psychium Celebi murders it. Hydreigon helps in all of these areas and generates momentum via U-turn. Being a dragon also lets it form a Steel/Dragon/Fairy core with Scizor and Sylveon, and appreciates Swampert trashing Hydreigon's general answers, such as Empoleon. It should be noted that Hydreigon also forms a solid U-turn core with Scizor.

Dumb Sir

Banned deucer.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Coballion looks to take advantage of what is already provided, as well as patch the holes this team has. Swampert has the invaluable ability to 2HKO MAggron as seen below, which greatly increases CM Cobalion's chances to sweep. Toxic Spikes are also fantastic with CM Cobalion, as it helps it wear down bulkier builds. Lastly, Wish and U-turn support from Sylveon and Scizor respectively enable Cobalions shenanigans even more.

252+ Atk Choice Band Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 171-202 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

SD Crawdaunt, Scarf Hydreigon, and Groundium/Grassium Z Celebi absolutely massacre this team, so I decided a fast Fighting Type sweeper with Shuca was the best way to compress these threats. Yes, Focus Miss can, well, miss, but it is an important asset to the build nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)