Project What's Their Last? v2 [Week 24: Voting phase]

Banner designed by BlueberryBlanket, do check out her other work!
Previous hosts LeoLancaster & LLH | Cohosted with Scizorphobic | Approved by Kink

Welcome to USUM UU v2 of “What’s their last?”!

Back in DPP, there was no such thing as team preview meaning you would commonly ask the question “What’s their last?”. It was imperative to be prepared for anything that could be in the last slot and act accordingly to handle it. Even though we have been graced with team preview, this same analogy can be applied to the way we build teams today. This project aims to put your team building skills to the test as you, the community, try to figure out what would fit best in that final slot.

Every week a team will be posted with one member missing. It is then up to you guys to post your suggestions for whom you believe the final member is. This process will last for a few days. Once the voting phase begins, you will vote for the Pokemon you believe fits best in the final slot. At the end of each round, the Pokemon with the most votes wins and the team will be placed into the hall of fame with the winner’s name and their submission. We will also reveal what the Pokemon in the final slot originally was after each round. Even if you may not have guessed said Pokemon it doesn’t mean your submission was wrong. Teams can have multiple solutions to fill a weakness, so you may have found an alternative solution to its problems! Hopefully this thread will be useful in helping you improve as a team builder.

Rules:

1. Please only post Pokemon that are viable in the UU metagame. The viability ranking thread is a good indicator of this, but exceptions will be made with enough evidence to support your nomination (A detailed paragraph minimum and maybe even a few replays or calcs). E.g. Silvally-Fairy isn’t ranked, but it is usable. Pokemon like Jolteon are out of the question.
  2. For other nominations only a small paragraph is required per submission. Calcs or replays aren’t needed, but you are more than welcome to add some with your post. Try not to post one-liners.
  3. Don’t post any unviable sets, you can use the Strategy Pokedex as a useful tool. Alternative coverage options / items are allowed if they are within reason. It should not hinder a Pokémon’s effectiveness greatly when it comes to other match-ups.
  4. You can discuss about other people’s nominations before the voting phase but keep it civil. This isn’t a thread to just bash others for sets or Pokemon they post. Be helpful and nice!
  5. YOU CAN submit the same Pokemon as someone else if the set isn’t the same. E.g. Someone could have posted Scarf Latias meaning you can post CM Latias etc.
  6. Reservations are allowed as long as you make your post within 24 hours, otherwise someone else is allowed to take your reserved Pokemon. When reserving please post the set you plan to use E.g. CM Electrium-Z to differentiate from Dragonium.
  7. NO slashing is allowed. You can't have five moves or 2 items in battle, this should be no different.
  8. Only one Pokemon can be suggested by each user, per round.
  9. When choosing a Pokemon for the last slot try to analyse what the team is weak to or can’t break before making a submission. Rather than submitting a random Pokemon just because you can.
  10. DO NOT change any of the provided members or their sets to accumulate for a weakness. Simply post your submission based off the provided import.
  11. During voting phase, you can ONLY vote for one nomination unless we say otherwise. You cannot vote for yourself.
  12. Please PM Scizorphobic and I on Smogon or PS! if you want to send in teams to be featured each week. If you could also provide a very short team building process it would be very helpful. We can’t promise your team will be featured, but it is worth trying ^_^
  13. Most importantly, have fun posting!

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

The current team lacked a form of speed control so Hydreigon seems like a good option for several reasons. It helps with revenge killing mega Manectric, DD Kommo-o, Latias etc. It also provides the team with a strong check to Pokemon like Celebi, Rotom-H and Krookodile while still having the ability to gain a lot of momentum thanks to U-turn. It can lure in fairy types which is really nice for <Insert Pokemon> to have an easy time to start breaking. It can also act as a cleaner late game.

Current Team (Week 21)

<Click Sprites for Importable>

"I built this team around Toxic Volcanion during the weather wars going on right now. It can easily screw up Sun and Rain if played well. Nihilego was added as a Flying resist, rocker, and Venusaur/Houndoom check. Next, I decided on DD Facade Mega Altaria to improve my matchup against stall, though it's in a rough spot at the moment. Scizor was chosen as a late-game sweeper and provided priority for my team. Lastly, Krookodile glues the team together with a Ground-type, a form of speed control. What’s my last?"​

Last edited:
Hall of Fame

Week 1 | Winner : BackAtYouBro

Week 2 | Winner: Aishia

Week 3 | Winner: Estarossa

Week 4 | Winner: Smallsmallrose

Week 5 | Winner: Smallsmallrose

Week 6 | Winner: Dumb Sir

Week 7 | Winner: Datsplashtho

Week 8 | Winner: Steel With It

Week 9 | Winner: Smallsmallrose

Week 10 | Winner: BackAtYouBro

Week 11 | Winner: Datsplashtho

Week 12 | Winner: Smallsmallrose

Week 13 | Winner: Smallsmallrose

Week 14 | Winner: Sickist

Week 15 | Winner: Sickist

Week 16 | Winner: Datsplashtho

Week 17 | Winner: Estarossa

Week 18 | Winner: Smallsmallrose

Week 19 | Winner: Estarossa

Week 20 | Winner: Estarossa

Last edited:
To kick off the first week of the newly rebooted 'What's Their Last?' we will be featuring a team by vivalospride!

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 8 SpA / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Sludge Wave

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 120 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit
"So I built the team around NP Celebi, and I wanted to do a neat core with scarf nape + NP Celebi cause nape pressures steels while also pivoting on incoming bulky grounds/waters/etc that Celebi can take advantage of really easily. Tentacruel came through as my hazard removal option that can directly pressure fairies and check things like Infernape, Cobalion, and Scizor which is muy importante. I went with Rhyperior as my rocker to compress having a Moltres answer as well as an elec immunity, I also just like Rhyperior as a ground rocker here moreso than other options due to having more of an offensive presence. AV Scizor came through here to form a pivot core with Infernape while also being able to reliably check ghost and psychic types, while also being able to directly pressure fairies and revenge shit like Terrakion which can give this team a hard time if it comes in."

Get your submissions in by Wednesday and thank you for your participation!

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 HP / 92 Atk / 60 Def / 136 Spe
Lax Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Heal Bell

So, this is my first time trying this but I had some free time and this seemed fun. Anyways, onto my submission.
Right away, I noticed that this team is really Specs Hydreigon weak. The team doesn't seem to have a single dragon resist and the only dark resist is infernape which isn't really an answer. Therefore, I'm suggesting Mega Altaria as your last slot. I also noticed that this team is pretty krookodile weak as well. Nothing really wants to take a knock off and rhyperior drops to two eqs after its been knocked. With my spread, Altaria should comfortably live 2 earthquakes after rocks. A lot of my ev spread is mainly because your team is pretty scizor weak as well. A sd knock off scizor can be dangerous to this team as your only checks, Infernape and Tentacruel don't appreciate knock offs nor have any decent recovery. (Jolly Scizor also outspeeds your tentacruel even tho no one really runs it) Obviously Mega Altaria isnt a scizor counter nor check but what my spread allows is for it to always take a banded bullet punch after rocks. This allows no free set ups from your opponent. On the off chance they want to u-turn, I gave the set enough speed evs to outspeed adamant scizor. Flamethrower should always kill unless they're running av or some bulky set. Bulky sd and AV are less threatening as tentacruel and nape should check those better. I dumped the rest of the evs into attack to make your body slams hurt more.

I chose body slam instead of return or hyper voice as the chance to paralyze something on a switchin can be really useful in helping your celebi sweep late game. This obviously isn't a set up or offensive set so you want to always be able to get something out of clicking a stab move. Roost is recovery and flamethrower is for scizor and other steels. I thought about running dragon dance at first but I decided to opt for heal bell, thinking it might come in more handy.

The team looked pretty krook, hydreigon, and scizor weak. My evs allow Altaria to check the first two quite well and live a banded bp from scizor. Team lacks status moves so body slam's better than return and hyper voice unless you're dd or heavily special attack invested. I just realized Altaria also patches up a Kommo-o weakness. Go figure. Additional mons checked/countered: Crawdaunt

Last edited:
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost

Regular Defensive Nasty Plot does the trick as I did not see any specific reason for Viv to use a more niche Togekiss set. Togekiss deals with Dragon-types like Hydreigon and Kommo-o whose Fire coverage can bypass AV Scizor while also being the Ground immunity for the team. Togekiss just fits well with the rest of the team as Rhyperior+Tenta is very anti Heattom in terms of removal+rocker and this team seems to offensively pressure the fuck out of other Togekiss answers.

Last edited:
reserving Hydreigon

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Taunt

This team doesn't have a reliable Ground switchin, and it is very Crawdaunt weak. That's why I chose S rank boi Hydreigon. I chose this set specifically to help the stall mu and because roost+taunt helps vs daunt trying to settup in your face for some odd reason (looking at you low ladder) and prevents toxic from things like Hippowdon, Blissey, etc.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

This team really wants wish support. It's got AV scizor, rhyperior, tenta, all mons that want Wish. This team also really wants a fairy, so here we are. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Altaria helps handling Krookodile, Hydreigon, non-Poison Jab Kommo-o and Grass Knot Zeraora that all have a pretty good match-up against the rest of the team. Altaria also helps Celebi by chipping Steel-types with Earthquake. It also appreciates Celebi somewhat luring Scizor with Shattered Psyche and pressuring Amoonguss and Tentacruel, Rhyperior pressuring Moltres and Scizor trapping Nihilego, giving Altaria a shot at cleaning late-game.

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Stacking double water may be weird but Daunt, Kommo, and Hydra all look like hellish matchups for this team, and bulky Prim matches up fantastically against all 3. Also while not a ground immunity, being a bulky water can help this team against a number of grounds like Krook and Zydog (Assuming no spikes) that just kinda click buttons against this team otherwise.

Last edited:
Congratulations BackAtYouBro for winning this week with your Nasty Plot Togekiss submission. Well done for correctly acknowledging the team needed to patch up the match-up against Hydreigon and Kommo-o. The original Pokemon was in fact DD Refresh Mega-Alataria to also ease with this teams stall match-up, but vivalospride also mentioned a lot of potential options in the final slot such as Togekiss and Primarina. Well done everyone this round!
BackAtYouBro - 3
Endal - 2
Smallsmallrose - 1
Daiyaga - 1
Starting from this week we will be shouting out the users who submit the teams at the end of each week to avoid any issues with running into the user on ladder and knowing the team (Looking at you Viv) and a few other reasons. With this minor thing out of the way, lets get into the team for week 2:

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Psychic

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic
"I built the team around Mega-Pidge basically to show that it shouldn’t drop in the VR. So, the first teammate I added was Scizor because I thought it was a good way to weaken some of the more common Mega-Pidge counters like Mega-Aggron/Mega-Steelix/Hippo and it also is a check to some of the big threats like Mega-Aero and Nihilego. Now I have a nice U-turn pair here designed to chip at similar checks and counters. After that it was time to add in the breakers. Started off Specs Primarina, basically just a special nuke and a good way to get chip on Empo and Tentacruel, which are both common switch ins to Mega-Pidge. After that I wanted a strong physical breaker/Z-move user, so I went with Terrakion. It comes in on all the typical Mega-Pidge checks and fires off attacks. Last mon defogger Rotom-H, just a splash-able mon that can pressure water types and is another volt turner for momentum. Overall the team is offensive and pressure based. You just get momentum and keep doing so throughout the game to slowly chip down the opposing team to let Mega-Pidgeot put in some work."

Get your submissions in by Wednesday and I look forward to what you guys come up with ^_^

Hippowdon (Male)
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off

No rocker+Volt Switch being an absolute bitch? Sounds like a job for Hippowdon. Hippowdon is the standard spread and not Max Defense so that it can take hits from Mega Mane's HP. I didn't see Terrakion as that big of an issue as this team could pivot+revenge it once the set is known. Hippowdon also has Sand Stream this time around to give Terrakion a SpD boost.​

Last edited:
Alright so a problem with this team is that is has NO speed control, thus why I think that Scarf Hydra works dandy on the team. It also revenge kills Electrium Z Latias fairly easy, which is a threat to this team.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Earth Power

Earth Power is chosen over Fire Blast since this frees up Terrakion to use Stealth Rock.

Last edited:

Gligar (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
The team is lacking an electric immunity, a solid Terrakion check, a solid Zydog check, and a rocker. What kind of crazy gluemon fills all these holes at once, you ask? Well, none other than our little friend here. He keeps Zydog and Terrakion at bay, he can set rocks for the team, and can serve as an electric immunity since the team needs it.

Palossand @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Toxic

hi, having big pidgeon means that we are gonna need to block electric spam somehow so, we're gonna place Palossand here. It's such a great pick for this team benefiting it in so many ways as it adds the needed Stealth Rock support while also having some good defensive niche and typing preventing powerful physical attackers like Terrakion or Cobalion from sweeping.
vote for me, bai.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)