Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello I'm somewhat new to VGC, can someone please explain to me how to find the best EVs to give your Pokémon?
Are you familiar with Double or is that new as well?

Spreads in double environment are not as straightforward as in simples. The main difference is that min-maxing does not work: you cannot expect to max Attack and Speed and "I'll switch out if I cannot get the KO". You cannot max HP and Defense and "I'll switch out against a special attacker" either.

Since you won't just always max the speed, speed tiers are especially important. Speed control being a big part of VGC, you cannot only consider the raw stat either: does your team play Tailwind? Icy wind? Those two directly impact the speed you want to invest in.

Then you can balance between offense and defenses, that's where people can be creative. You can optimize for a lot of situations:
- do you want to mitigate a specific weakness?
- do you want to optimize against the meta picks?
- do you want to compromise, look for the best jump point and put the rest in defenses?

There's no good answer as it is very team and meta dependant. But I hope you are not disappointed by that answer, and I hope those guidelines will help you.

You can also always start with someone else's (or average) spreads and adapt them as you play.

LovelyLuna

Lost in a life full of mistakes
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello I'm somewhat new to VGC, can someone please explain to me how to find the best EVs to give your Pokémon?
Long answer, pretty much what Vince said

Short answer, go to the damage calculator. Your questions should be "what do I want to outspeed", "What do I want to live", "What do I want to kill". They are expected to be meta theatres, don't calc vs Palafin because you saw one on the ladder, Focus on pokemon that show up on ladder and tournaments often. Take field effects like Tailwind and mechanics like Tera Types into accounting

• Love
Reactions: cat
I have two questions.
  1. I'm struggling to build a team. Where should I go for some help? I'm not smart enough to write a whole RMT.
  2. What events can I go to in Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, or New Jersey?
If you're struggling to build a team, ask a friend, ask in the VGC chat room on smogon, look at videos and pikalytics as well.

What would be an optimal EV spread for this regidrago?
Regidrago @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Level: 50
Tera Type: Steel
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect
REGIDRAGO GOES BRRRRR. But seriously, I would love to use this guy under tailwind from Tornadus, but can't seem to come to a consensus when it comes down to an EV spread.

LovelyLuna

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What would be an optimal EV spread for this regidrago?
Regidrago @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Level: 50
Tera Type: Steel
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect
REGIDRAGO GOES BRRRRR. But seriously, I would love to use this guy under tailwind from Tornadus, but can't seem to come to a consensus when it comes down to an EV spread.
Because Regidrago does in general not want to get hit, going 252 or close to it is fine. I like going to the final SpA bump (236+) and hitting 127 in speed, with the rest in defence.

LovelyLuna

Was thinking of building a team with Blood Moon Ursaluna. What would be some good teammates (had hard Trick Room in mind)?
:Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: is better on Semi-Trick Room teams that aim for a slower playstyle imo. Look at Day 2 Toronto teams on Victoryroad to get a better idea of how people are utilising the pokemon. Trick room setters like :Dusclops: and :Farigiraf: stand out, ideally put them and :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: on a core of 4 that plays differently to trick room.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Between Weezing and Galarian Weezing, why is the former better, or at least higher ranked on the VR for regulation E?

What kind of teammate does Volcarona appreciate having? I've tried out Clefairy and screens support from Grimmsnarl, but I feel like I fold to Iron Hands, and are forced into too many 1v2s or 1v3s than I would like, even with a boosted Volcarona.

LovelyLuna

What kind of teammate does Volcarona appreciate having? I've tried out Clefairy and screens support from Grimmsnarl, but I feel like I fold to Iron Hands, and are forced into too many 1v2s or 1v3s than I would like, even with a boosted Volcarona.
Grimmsnarl screens yes, along with other support and offensive pokemon respectively. If you find issues, review your replays and you should identify where you may have misplaced.

What pokemon is everyone looking forward to using post DLC2 :)
Several for me.
Archaludon looks really interesting but will need to see its stats first.
Metagross could be great, it’s usually been a strong
Choice.
Smeargle can now use Decorate and Coaching
Looking forward to using the paradox legendaries, want to try and make Iron Crown work.

Also eager to see what paradox Entei and Terrakion will be like

LovelyLuna

Shouldn't there be a brief explanation for the EV spreads for the Regulation E sample sets on the StrategyDex? Some other formats on the Dex give 1-2 sentences to why some sample sets use that specific EV spread when it isn't 252/252/4, as well as why the Pokemon would opt for a specific Tera type in some cases.
I believe it's being worked on. For now, you're free to ask here or just pm me.

Currently trying to create a Scarlet and Violet themed Team for VGC 20 rules (Two restricteds/Ubers, Doubles).

I've come up with

Koraidon with assault vest, adamant, full hp investment, Adamant, Terra Steel and Heavy Slam.
Miraidon with Shell bell or leftovers, Full hp investment, Modest, Terra steel with Flash Cannon and Solar Beam.
Raging Bolt, with rising Voltage, Thunder Clap (for dem cheeks of course.. can't go around without clapping some cheeks). Full Health investment too modest.
Friend Guard Maushold with full health and half def/spdef investment, Tidy Up and Baton pass.
Iron Leaves with Solar Blade.
Typical Screens and Parting Shot Grimmsnarl.

Any tips? Overall its a gimmick team to sorta be the Scarlet and Violet farewell team. But I think it has potential and I've slapped a few online so far. Overall I think the main issue is that I need a good replacement for Iron Leaves who.. just sucks. One candidate that comes to mind is Iron Moth but that doesn't sync well with Maushold imo. Another thought is Iron Boulder who can use Solar Blade as coverage against water and ground types, though I need to actually get him first. So far though the team's done surprisingly well with Raging Bolt usually nuking an entire team on his own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)