Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Heatran can find a slot on the Cresselia Ursaluna Hands Amoonguss core, that has a very strong TR mode but can also be used w/o TR, though its not a staple there. On something like Indeedee Armarouge Ursaluna its never justifying a slot
Why is Heatran better on the first core than the second one?

Hello, I'm very new VGC/Doubles/Competitive Pokemon in general, wondering what you all would recommend for a beginner? I know trick room is strong right now but I'm not sure if that's difficult or something, any advice is appreciated.

Makima

Banned deucer.
Hello, I'm very new VGC/Doubles/Competitive Pokemon in general, wondering what you all would recommend for a beginner? I know trick room is strong right now but I'm not sure if that's difficult or something, any advice is appreciated.
When just starting out, rentals and high-placing tournament teams are the best place to go. I would recommend balance to newer players because it best reinforces VGC's fundamentals. Think FWG core, fake out, intimidate, defensive pivot options, fast attackers, light speed control (not trick room or tailwind; more like icy wind or prankster thunder wave).

Untitled PokePaste
^^^
balance team
(on flutter run 4 hp 140def 116 modest spa 4 spd 244 spe)
(on hands run 116hp 220atk 12def 124 spd 36 spe adamant)

Is DisQuake still viable in the modern day? I wanna stretch my legs into VGC but really don't wanna try to grind for legendary mons.

I wouldn't say its unviable but it's also not amazing either. Kinda mid-ish? Your miles may vary on how you do, newbies and scrubs will get caught off guard by it but top players will have answers for it.

As others have said, balance is very good for beginners and there are some good balance teams out there. One that has been working really well for me: https://pokepast.es/cff42937b8bf482c

I want to run a team with G-Weezing and Slaking in regulation e - seems really fun and on paper can work well. What would be some good Pokemon to round out the team?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to run a team with G-Weezing and Slaking in regulation e - seems really fun and on paper can work well. What would be some good Pokemon to round out the team?
I have very little hope for this duo to work, but I'd look into stuff that benefits from Weezing: for example Terracruel can give you a fast Spore.

Strong Pokémon that don't care about their abilities are good picks as well (hi Iron Hands!): Weezing can prevents opposing's ability from working, reducing your opponent's options.

But yeah I'm kinda sure Slaking won't make the cut. Weezing could be decent, or maybe not, hard to tell yet, but Slaking is not good enough and too restrictive outside of Weezing's Aura too be worth it

I have two questions: 1. Is Lilligant Hisui + Torkoal viable and 2. Which Pokemon HARD counters Tailwind Tornadus with Covert Cloak?
LilliKoal is pretty viable, especially partnered with a Trick Room mode. For example, :lilligant-hisui::Torkoal::armarouge::Indeedee-f::ursaluna::hatterene: is a strong 6. A counter to Torn I've found effective is Chien-Pao + Iron Hands. Iron Hands can Fake Out Torn's partner and Chien-Pao can hit it with Icicle Crash. You should probably focus on countering Torn's partners rather than Torn itself though, as Torn isn’t super threatening.

LilliKoal is pretty viable, especially partnered with a Trick Room mode. For example, :lilligant-hisui::Torkoal::armarouge::Indeedee-f::ursaluna::hatterene: is a strong 6. A counter to Torn I've found effective is Chien-Pao + Iron Hands. Iron Hands can Fake Out Torn's partner and Chien-Pao can hit it with Icicle Crash. You should probably focus on countering Torn's partners rather than Torn itself though, as Torn isn’t super threatening.
That is such a good response thanks. Can you tell me for the partners shown if I have to breed/catch 0 IV mons for everyone of them or only for some? That sample team you show has like 100 % Pokemon I even like asthetically lol.

However, is it possible to implement Urshifu Water somehow in that team? I made one today and now I feel I kinda wasted it.

- - -
You make ... a good point actually, Tornadus is not that threatening at all.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That is such a good response thanks. Can you tell me for the partners shown if I have to breed/catch 0 IV mons for everyone of them or only for some? That sample team you show has like 100 % Pokemon I even like asthetically lol.

However, is it possible to implement Urshifu Water somehow in that team? I made one today and now I feel I kinda wasted it.

- - -
You make ... a good point actually, Tornadus is not that threatening at all.
Urshifu-Water is a poor pick alongside Torkoal unfortunately, so probably not

Urshifu-Water is a poor pick alongside Torkoal unfortunately, so probably not
Yeah that was a bit of a stupid question- what I meant is I wonder if I can smokescreen a sun Team basically and so not play Lilligant Torkoal and instead use the four other mons including Watershifu.

The reason being I think Chien Pao + Water Shifu can be a potential lead combo against stupid mons like Cresselia.

Basically: Lillikoal, 2 Mons good in Sun (let's say that would fit with Indeedee and Charcadet) and 2 Free Mons which do not have to synergise with Sun.

Is my idea bad?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
You'd still remove a lot of flexibility.
In theory, in a "bring 6 pick 4" format, you can pick between 15 combinations of 4 Pokémon.

Playing a combo such as Lillikoal already reduces that flexibility, you'll virtually never bring Lilligant without Torkoal. So down to 11 combinations.
Now you're considering adding Urshifu-Water, that you'll never bring alongside Torkoal. 5 combinations left.

Reducing from 15 to 11 in order to bring a good combo is a compromise. But reducing from 11 to 5 because "I made one today" is a waste. Also in those five options, only one plays Urshifu. Whenever you want to bring Urshifu, your other three teammates would be "forced" to be not LilliKoal.

Shaymin Sky

You, no, all of you, are my repentance.
is a Community Contributor

Shaymin Sky

You, no, all of you, are my repentance.
is a Community Contributor
What would be some good teammates for SD Wellspring Ogrepon? Currently using Torn, Lando and Iron Hands.
What that team is lacking is some sort of fairy resist, specifically to combat flutter mane. A steel type like Heatran is a great fit here in my opinion or if you want to abuse rain/tw on torn better you can use specs gholdengo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)