Data Usage-Based Tier Update for October 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting to show I was here for a historic moment. Chomp and Tran in UU is INSANE, not to mention stuff like Garg, Washtom, Meow, Pelipper, Azu, and Shocks. Lando even almost joined, and every DLC mon sans Bloodmoon is now UU as well. This is the most crazy assortment of UU drops I’ve ever seen happen at once.

Posting to show I was here for a historic moment. Chomp and Tran in UU is INSANE, not to mention stuff like Garg, Washtom, Meow, Pelipper, Azu, and Shocks. Lando even almost joined, and every DLC mon sans Bloodmoon is now UU as well. This is the most crazy assortment of UU drops I’ve ever seen happen at once.
Frankly I'm more surprised some of the DLCmons didn't drop further. I can get that people used Fezandipiti since its still in the copium stages but how did Dipplin manage to stay above 0.3% usage?

Frankly I'm more surprised some of the DLCmons didn't drop further. I can get that people used Fezandipiti since its still in the copium stages but how did Dipplin manage to stay above 0.3% usage?
I gotta be honest, dipplin was quite bulky with eviolite.
Holy shit it's really the end of Smogon.
Think this fits the current situation.
Yeah bro you have a point. Power creep is too real to be ignored.

There are still two Ogerpon in OU too and Hearthflame is Ubers.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think I have asked this before but I'm dumb and forgot, why did we move from the 3.41% cutoff to the current 4.52%? I ask this because I'd grown accostumed to OU having 45-50 pokemon (DPPt, BW etc), and I don't see why this trend could not have been kept.

I think I have asked this before but I'm dumb and forgot, why did we move from the 3.41% cutoff to the current 4.52%? I ask this because I'd grown accostumed to OU having 45-50 pokemon (DPPt, BW etc), and I don't see why this trend could not have been kept.
First, a major change: after much discussion, Smogon is adjusting its usage threshold for Generation 8 to 4.52%, using unweighted months. In addition (and as was previously discussed in Policy Review), we are fully removing quickrises.

Why are we changing this? Well, last generation there were serious concerns with how disruptive tier shifts could be to lower tiers. While drops could always be handled via bans, rises could completely destabilize a tier, causing major impact... impact that then needed to be reset in a few months when the risen element fell again. Even a single popular sample team could end up causing major ripples in the tiers below due to nothing more than a passing trend. This was especially true if it occurred during the months weighted more heavily. While rises are always going to be a part of any usage-based tiering process, we wanted a solution that made them a bit less frequent.

So what does it mean to increase the tiering threshold? Well, the end result will be smaller tiers overall, where rises are less frequent but drops are more common. And ideally by going with an unweighted metric for tier shifts, eliminating quickrises and keeping quickdrops fairly low, we would also favor shifts based on consistent usage over a sustained period of time, rather than spikes in usage during certain periods. Also, a happy side effect of smaller tiers is that it allows lower tiers to be more practical despite the reduced Dex size.

Can you imagine going back in time and telling a SM player that in the near future, Empoleon will surpass Landorus-T, Greninja, Azumarill, Garchomp, AND Heatran in usage? What would their reaction be? They’d be almost as surprised as they would be if you told them that the next few years, the whole world would just kinda close for all of 2020-2021

Can you imagine going back in time and telling a SM player that in the near future, Empoleon will surpass Landorus-T, Greninja, Azumarill, Garchomp, AND Heatran in usage? What would their reaction be? They’d be almost as surprised as they would be if you told them that the next few years, the whole world would just kinda close for all of 2020-2021
empoleon usage is just new toy syndrome, its nowhere near as good as stuff like garchomp

”Wow Empoleon finally got roost huh?”
Honestly besides Landorus-T and Heatran it isn’t that shocking to say Empoleon got more usage than the rest of them. You got to remember that Empoleon combines 2 of the best defensive types in the game, and also has Defog, Scald, Knock Off, and Stealth Rock. It was 1 move away from being one of the best OUmons of all time.
If Empoleon got Scald and Defog back, it honestly would be top 10 in usage now.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
First, a major change: after much discussion, Smogon is adjusting its usage threshold for Generation 8 to 4.52%, using unweighted months. In addition (and as was previously discussed in Policy Review), we are fully removing quickrises.

Why are we changing this? Well, last generation there were serious concerns with how disruptive tier shifts could be to lower tiers. While drops could always be handled via bans, rises could completely destabilize a tier, causing major impact... impact that then needed to be reset in a few months when the risen element fell again. Even a single popular sample team could end up causing major ripples in the tiers below due to nothing more than a passing trend. This was especially true if it occurred during the months weighted more heavily. While rises are always going to be a part of any usage-based tiering process, we wanted a solution that made them a bit less frequent.

So what does it mean to increase the tiering threshold? Well, the end result will be smaller tiers overall, where rises are less frequent but drops are more common. And ideally by going with an unweighted metric for tier shifts, eliminating quickrises and keeping quickdrops fairly low, we would also favor shifts based on consistent usage over a sustained period of time, rather than spikes in usage during certain periods. Also, a happy side effect of smaller tiers is that it allows lower tiers to be more practical despite the reduced Dex size.
Seems fair, I did not take lower tiers into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)