Underrated Little Cup Pokemon

Aerial Ace does have the use of being able to hit 100% of the time before a Claw Sharpen, which might be necessary since even if it does get a Claw Sharpen in, it does only have 15 speed, which really isn't particularly great, still good just not great, so it may be better to just go for the Aerial Ace off the bat, although most of the time Return would be superior. So in reality, it's not really got much of a use, at least not that I can see. And Pluck steals Oran.

Sandile (Meguroko) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie (Overconfidence)
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Return / Double-Edge / Pursuit

Koromori (Woobat) @ Evolution Stone - Unaware
240 HP / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 180 Spe - Timid
All IVs 30 except for Speed
~Calm Mind
~Roost
~Assist Power
~Hidden Power [Flying]

Having problems with stat boosters (or at least ones that don't wear pants)? Try this lil guy out. 17 Speed really isn't that bad, and Unaware lets you win against things like that newfangled Calm Mind Murkrow and such.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
Psych Up with Unaware =/, does that even work? Anyway CM seems the better choice on that set imo.

Then you can't set up yourself, and you won't necessarily get any helpful boosts. Calm Mind is a more consistent choice.

...or at least not inconsistent.

Yeah Psych Up works with Unaware. CM is kind of underwhelming IMO though. Takes away from your ability to beat Bulk Up users. Defense boosts are always fun. Plus, those stupid CM users that somehow get to +6 would be a lot easier to take out with Psych Up. I guess it's a matter of opinion

SkyNet

MediEvil!
Yeah Psych Up works with Unaware. CM is kind of underwhelming IMO though. Takes away from your ability to beat Bulk Up users. Defense boosts are always fun. Plus, those stupid CM users that somehow get to +6 would be a lot easier to take out with Psych Up. I guess it's a matter of opinion
But with Unaware they can't set up against you, as the stat modifiers are ignored. Tell me if I haven't got the mechanics of Unaware right though.

With CM you have a reliable set up move which benefits you.

It also means that it's able to set up without the opponent having to set up, and seeing as its moves are all special it means that copying Bulk Ups isn't relatively pointless.

You can use psych up, but like everyone else said, once they see you're unaware, they're not gonna set up on you. Calm Mind's a more reliable method of setting up.

I believe unaware lets them set up, but any stat modifiers just don't go into calculation when damaging the Unaware pokemon. if the Set up sweeper sets up, then kills the unaware pokemon, you've got a boosted pokemon sweeping your team.

The stat boosts are still there, they just don't do anything. I've tested it before, Kokoromori or whatever it's called Psych Up'd my Ninjask and copied boosts.

Speaking from experience (going up against it), Mantyke is really good, yeah. .__. Not at all underrated in any way, IMO; the only issue it has is with its coverage, between running HP Electric for other Mantyke or HP Grass for Chinchou. Though really, it's a pretty minor thing, and Mantyke can be really deadly.

Those minivulture and Swablu sets are cool, though. I think it's also fair to say that Slowpoke is pretty underrated and underused too.
I hardly think Growlithe is underrated, it seems quite good. If anything it might be a little overrated... but not underrated, I think.

You all... you all think Aron's so bad. ;___; I'll find something that proves him underrated...

Aron works better in OU with his troll sturdy + shell bell set.
That doesn't hold any water in the context of this discussion.

The reason Aron isn't so great is the abundance of Fighting-types this generation. Dokkora, Zuruggu, Kojofu, they all outspeed him after a Rock Polish with a scarf/set up/Mach Punch. In addition, Evo-stone hampers it a lot, having only Claw Sharpen to boost its attack, it has trouble punching through physical walls like Gligar. Also, Gen 5 introduced Tesshildo, who cockblocks it.

So yeah.

I know just saying, and...yeah. Although Sturdy is nice when leading. Plus, I believe Aron got some random new Steel move that's strong or something (maybe not on him though because he's lighter than Aggron). Correct me if I'm wrong though :/

I was gonna say, maybe he's not such hot stuff as a sweeper anymore for all those reasons, but what about a lead set? :0

Aron @ Oran / Custap (?)
Adamant / Sturdy
196 Atk / 196 Spe, etc etc.
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Rock Slide / Metal Burst
- Level Ground / Metal Burst

Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock and Protect blocks Fake Out. Rock Slide would be for STAB, since Head Smash essentially kills you when you have Sturdy; Metal Burst with Sturdy, again obvious... Level Ground is what strikes me as an interesting move on him. For those that remember the Piplup analysis, I see it working sort of like Icy Wind worked on that, slowing stuff down enough for Aron to outspeed and KO with Rock Slide, or to get Rocks up first or something. (lack of priority combined with SturdyBurst kind of sucks. >.>) Of course, against leads like Meowth who have crappy coverage on Steels, it will always win, since it can Protect to block the fake out (or not, whatever really) and set up SR freely.

I'll need to experiment with some move combinations to see what works best, but there you go. That seem viable at all?

Why is Metal Burst slashed in the third slot? If you use it there, Level Ground would be useless in the fourth and you can't use Metal Burst again in the fourth. IMO that's outclassed by that Bug/Rock thing though, who has superior typing and offenses (and speed for that matter) as well as access to spikes. Aron is probably not underrated, just bad.

That's what I'm going to test it to find out. :\ Incidentally, yeah, I guess Burst doesn't have a lot of application in that slot, I just threw the set together with all the viable lead moves Aron has.

SubLO Magnemite is underrated, it picks apart most stall teams with Substitute and TB / Flash cannon combo.

Magnemite in general is underrated. I've used SubLO with Tbolt, HP Fire, Sub, and Magnet Rise. It actually works really well, as you've said. I haven't really seen much stall though.

Evo Stone Budew is underrated as shit. Survives an Ice Punch from +2 Zuruugu and Paralyzes it with Stun Spore :D.

Evo Stone Budew is underrated as shit. Survives an Ice Punch from +2 Zuruugu and Paralyzes it with Stun Spore :D.
So do Bulbasaur and Bellsprout and Oddish and Monmen and yeah...

Budew actually has worse bulk than all of them, which is pretty unimpressive.

It also has less SpA than the first three, and no STAB Sludge Bomb. And no Mischevious Heart.

Budew is a poor choice when there are other, better Grass-types.

Also, is Houndour really underrated? I haven't actually seen one yet, but nobody is singing its unpraises...

Anyway, yeah Houndour is cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)